PDA

View Full Version : Is AJ Hawk underappreciated?

bluestree
07-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Drafted at No.5 AJ Hawk is viewed as having underacheived for his draft position. I don't blame Hawk for not being the next Urlacher of Lewis. He's showed durability and dedication. He does whatever he's asked and always takes responsibility for his play. He was a consensus pick at 5, even though nobody was touting his upside. It was just how the draft played out. But mostly, if he had played behind a top tier D line he would be a pro bowl regular.

SpartaChris
07-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I think he is. He's consistent, and while I wouldn't put him in the elite category, he's bee a solid contributor. Besides, it's not like he could help where he was drafted.

All in all he's a solid, consistent player. I have no problem with a team collecting good players.

dfetz3
07-05-2010, 01:15 AM
While not on the same tier as the top Linebackers in the league, he's a solid player who is going to be a starter in the NFL for a long time. I feel comfortable with him being an integral part of our lineup for a while to come.

DannyMilk
07-05-2010, 03:41 AM
While not on the same tier as the top Linebackers in the league, he's a solid player who is going to be a starter in the NFL for a long time. I feel comfortable with him being an integral part of our lineup for a while to come.

And in my opinion he's going to be a starter because he is a FOOTBALL PLAYER first...you can tell he loves the game, it runs in his blood, and he is a football guy, not just a big man or a great athlete...loved this pick for my hated Packers (I really do hate when they make good moves)

JesseFritsch
07-05-2010, 04:17 AM
I was a big supporter of the selection of A.J. Hawk when it happened. How could you not be? He was considered one of those couple 'lock' players that scouts and media declare during the draft process. He just looked like an ugly, rugged, perfect linebacker. A lot of people looked at him and probably thought he could develop into a modern day version of Ray Nitschke. Unfortunately he hasn't progressed much. He's smart and consistent, but he just doesn't make 'wow' players that you need out of a three-down starter. To me he's always looked clunky and not overly athletic.

He was getting kicked off the field quite often in nickel situations last year. I think we need to go in another direction with him, this year will be his last when his deal runs out. I'm sure Ted would like to have him back, but someone will pay more for him and we have the roster flexibility to address that position in the draft if needed.

Hawk has no doubt been a disappointment. I never saw that 'it' factor with him, he's always looked ordinary in games and in practices. He's an average linebacker.

bluestree
07-05-2010, 03:41 PM
When I watch Hawk closely he seems to get caught up in the wash when he tries to penetrate. His lateral pusuit is good when he's able to run free. I always wondered if he would have been better in the 4-3 at will backer with a stud line letting him run. He's not much good in coverage, although he's flashed the skills a few times, he just let's guys get behind him. In the current D, he's been good at the point of attack, and in the blitz package, where he is mostly used to occupy some blockers to free up Nick. When he has to be the second guy on a tandem blitz he doesn't get home too much.

I, like Jesse, think he will be gone. Typical top ten pick. Like Pickett, he's a letdown for the team that drafted him, but half the league would sign him today.

JesseFritsch
07-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Agreed Blue, when his contract runs out after this season he's definitely a goner. We know what he is, I think management would like to bring in another body with some more 'thump' potential. A.J. Hawk is a guy who can start, he's just not a guy you love to start. He's played in both the 34 and 43 so it probably makes things easier for him in FA. Someone will throw $20 million at him.

FessJL0861
07-09-2010, 01:29 PM
When you draft a good long term linebacker you have to be excited. But not at 5. I think he has alot of longevity in the league, but maybe not so much with the defense that is in place. I do like the guy, he seems motivated, smart, and hard charging. But he also does disappear at times. I sometimes wonder what he would be if he was playing behind a much better D-Line though.

bluestree
07-09-2010, 02:41 PM
One thing, there's no quit in Hawk. He still seems to have the fire in the belly to be one of the best so who knows? None of his shortcomings are physical.

GBPKS
07-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I guess it comes down to what you expect when you draft a guy in the first round - typically, if you get a guy who starts for your team every Sunday, that's a successful draft pick. The problem for AJ Hawk is that he was the #5 pick in the draft, where you (hopefully) pick infrequently and (hopefully) are supposed to hit on superstars when you do pick there.

But, AJ Hawk was always considered the "safe" choice when he was picked, and the concern coming out of Ohio State was that he was already at his ceiling and there was no upside. I think that has proven to be pretty accurate.

AJ Hawk is a quality NFL starting linebacker, but he is not a superstar and he never will be.

bluestree
07-09-2010, 05:23 PM
I guess it comes down to what you expect when you draft a guy in the first round - typically, if you get a guy who starts for your team every Sunday, that's a successful draft pick. The problem for AJ Hawk is that he was the #5 pick in the draft, where you (hopefully) pick infrequently and (hopefully) are supposed to hit on superstars when you do pick there.

But, AJ Hawk was always considered the "safe" choice when he was picked, and the concern coming out of Ohio State was that he was already at his ceiling and there was no upside. I think that has proven to be pretty accurate.

AJ Hawk is a quality NFL starting linebacker, but he is not a superstar and he never will be.
Totally agree. At 5 you expect to get Ray Lewis, but that doesn't happen that often. I give the staff credit for hanging with him, he's a good player, it's not his fault the way the draft board fell. The only other player you might have taken at the time was Vernon Davis, and while it seems the light has gone on for him, it took a while. Meanwhile AJ has been chopping wood, and bringing some now and then. Ask Larry Johnson, I don't think he's been the same since AJ body slammed him in KC.

BuckeyeRidley
07-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks Bluestree; Yes, I think that Hawk is underappreciated because he does contribute well and is a guy that the Packers can depend on. He may not be the main guy on the team or the line but he certainly does help to make the team better. He got props at Ohio State and was key for our team. I think that he can pick up his game but he's gotta have help with his guys to get it done. I see Hawk soaring with the Packers but it's gotta pick-up in 2010.

bluestree
07-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Hey Buckeye, thanks for the knowledge. I'll be in Canton end of the month, looking forward to visiting the Hall. Every fan should, especially some of the young guns on here. My wife's from N.Canton. Now that's some football country! I was born near Green Bay, so with me and her four brothers, it's all football! And she's pretty good too. Once the season starts, she knows not to bother me till March. lol

JesseFritsch
07-11-2010, 03:24 PM
I see Hawk soaring with the Packers but it's gotta pick-up in 2010.

A.J. Hawk is done in Green Bay. It's his last year. Thompson's not going to pay him, he's going to go get his eventual replacement in the draft.

FessJL0861
07-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Totally agree. At 5 you expect to get Ray Lewis, but that doesn't happen that often. I give the staff credit for hanging with him, he's a good player, it's not his fault the way the draft board fell. The only other player you might have taken at the time was Vernon Davis, and while it seems the light has gone on for him, it took a while. Meanwhile AJ has been chopping wood, and bringing some now and then. Ask Larry Johnson, I don't think he's been the same since AJ body slammed him in KC.

In GB Vernon Davis would have went over about as well as finding out you have a VD (pun intended) on Christmas Day. The lights on now, but nobody has been home for a few years. You can pull that crap in San Fran (although much tougher with Singletary), but not in GB.