nfc east cowboys
nfc north packers
nfc south falcons
nfc west 49ers
wild card saints
wild card bears

bluestree
07-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Ooh...the Falcons and Niners...Da Bearss in a wild card and NO Vikings! Ballsy predictions, dude. I like it!

robthemany
07-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Just how I feel. I did alright in predictions last year. Nobody saw the bengals winning the north.

DaBearsFan
07-04-2010, 05:17 PM
I'll be going by the same rules in the AFC thread. Only returning 3 teams that made the playoffs last year.

I don't see many flaws in Dallas and I think the rest of the NFC East is going to take a large step backward. As much as I hate to say it, the Packers are going to be really good again this year, especially if they can protect Rodgers better. And finally, I guess I don't see why everyone is panicking on Arizona quite yet. I still like that team and think Leinart's going to be better than expected. (FWIW: I think the Saints defense will also take a big step back).

As for the NFC South, the unclaimed division, I seriously considered putting Tampa Bay here, continuing the "last to playoffs" trend the NFC South continues to have. But I can't do it. I'm going with the Panthers. I like the running game they have, and Steve Smith still has something in the tank, and maybe Clausen can do something early on in his career. Also, according to football outsiders, they had the 6th best defense in weighted DVOA

So the division winners are (in order of how they will be seeded): Green Bay, Dallas, Arizona, Carolina.

2 Wild Cards: Minnesota, New Orleans and Philadelphia are out. I'm not going to pretend to be unbiased when I say the Bears. But I like the moves they've made and the potential for Martz's offense in Chicago. As for my other pick, Atlanta seems to be a little intriguing. Matt Ryan is still there, if Turner can get healthy I think they'll be fine.

In short, Green Bay, Dallas, Arizona, Carolina, Chicago, Atlanta.

ncoolong
07-04-2010, 05:27 PM
I'll be going by the same rules in the AFC thread. Only returning 3 teams that made the playoffs last year.

I don't see many flaws in Dallas and I think the rest of the NFC East is going to take a large step backward. As much as I hate to say it, the Packers are going to be really good again this year, especially if they can protect Rodgers better. And finally, I guess I don't see why everyone is panicking on Arizona quite yet. I still like that team and think Leinart's going to be better than expected. (FWIW: I think the Saints defense will also take a big step back).

As for the NFC South, the unclaimed division, I seriously considered putting Tampa Bay here, continuing the "last to playoffs" trend the NFC South continues to have. But I can't do it. I'm going with the Panthers. I like the running game they have, and Steve Smith still has something in the tank, and maybe Clausen can do something early on in his career. Also, according to football outsiders, they had the 6th best defense in weighted DVOA

So the division winners are (in order of how they will be seeded): Green Bay, Dallas, Arizona, Carolina.

2 Wild Cards: Minnesota, New Orleans and Philadelphia are out. I'm not going to pretend to be unbiased when I say the Bears. But I like the moves they've made and the potential for Martz's offense in Chicago. As for my other pick, Atlanta seems to be a little intriguing. Matt Ryan is still there, if Turner can get healthy I think they'll be fine.

In short, Green Bay, Dallas, Arizona, Carolina, Chicago, Atlanta.

Unless the defending champ resides in a city called "Pittsburgh," they're returning to the playoffs.

If anyone, I can see Dallas melting down more than the Vikings. Wouldn't be surprised to see three 9-7 teams make the playoffs, all from the NFC North.

Love the Panthers call...except for the world's greatest flag football player possibly being less than 100 percent early on.

msclemons
07-04-2010, 06:22 PM
My totally biased picks:

Packers - I don't think the Vikings will have multiple career-year players again.
Cowboys - Giants, Skins and Eagles all restructuring/rebuilding
Saints - I'm not seeing a lot of the "me first" attitude that usually shows on Super Bowl champs
49ers - Cards coaches are saying off the record that Leinart doesn't put enough effort into preparation. Plus, I'm a giant homer.

wildcards:
one of the other NFC East teams, my gut feeling is the Eagles due to Ewing Theory.
Vikings - they'll slip a bit, but not a huge amount

DaBearsFan
07-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Unless the defending champ resides in a city called "Pittsburgh," they're returning to the playoffs.
Well, I don't think their defense will be as good as they were last year at times. Although I trust that some guys will not get caught up in the "we're the champs" hype and backlash, enough will to take that team down to 8-8. Even if I allowed more than 3 returning, I would not have had the Saints in (Probably would have put Philly in Atlanta's spot).

If anyone, I can see Dallas melting down more than the Vikings. Wouldn't be surprised to see three 9-7 teams make the playoffs, all from the NFC North.
Call me crazy, but I don't think a 40 year old QB is a smart bet in the NFL (then again, I said that last year. Didn't pan out for me there). I worry about their receivers, and I think you can beat them with the pass (they aren't bad at pass defense, just not great IMO), which Aaron Rodgers and hopefully Jay Cutler can do. And as I said, I don't see much wrong with the Cowboys at this point.

Love the Panthers call...except for the world's greatest flag football player possibly being less than 100 percent early on.
I'm trusting that he'll be back for the regular season and will catch up quickly. Also, that their running game stays good as well as their defense.

But then again, these are just my thoughts. Who knows anything at this point?

davethepanther
07-05-2010, 08:50 AM
EAST AAAUUUGGHHHh as much as I hate to say it DALLAS has all the tools to make the Playoffs. The addition of Bryant with Austin is pretty scary.

WEST I think SF is ready to take the NFC West the Cardinals lost Warner and I am not sold on Leinhart being the answer.

NORTH If Farve comes back for one more season I see Minnesota taking the North and dropping GB to the WC and the Bears OUT.... (Sorry DaBears fan especially since you gave props to the Panthers)

SOUTH I think that New Orleans might struggle a bit but will the 1st team in NFC South history to repeat as Conference Champs but it won't be easy.

Though slighty biased I do believe the Panthers take the last wild card spot. A favorable schedule and a running game second to none will lead the way. The defense won't be great but will be affective. The biggest improvement will be in the Passing game. Defenses are going to be pulling their hair out with Armanti Edwards. Which one do you double Cover. Smitty or Edwards. Either way the dilemma will be stop the run or stop the pass. Last year the Panthers didn't have a passing game and still had 2 - 1100 yd rushers. Imagine with a decent passing game.

1. Dallas
2. Minnesota
3. New Orleans
4. San Francisco
5. Green Bay
6. Carolina

Ninernightmare
07-05-2010, 09:42 AM
I grew up in the late 80s and 90s, I knew the Niners couldn't be great forever but these last few years have been awful! So I truly hope they can make back to the Playoffs. If we stay healthy its all on Alex Smith and the O-Line. He has playmakers and a solid defense.

Anyway my prodictions

East- Dallas (I believe the Skins will be much better, Not sure about Philly and the Giants defense can't be as bad as it was last year can it?)
North- Minnesota if Farve comes back, I'm sure he will. Green Bay if he doesn't. I think Chicago will be in the mix as well.
South- New Orleans runs away with it.
West- I think my Niners can go 10-6 with there schedule if Alex Smith plays well. But in reality this could be the worst division in football and it probably wont be close. Could easily see someone winning it with a 8-8 record.. Ugh!
WC1-Green Bay Aaron Rodgers is stud and that defense is looking good on paper.
WC2-Washington, I really like Shannan/McNabb Combo.
I wouldn't be surprised though if Atlanta steals that final spot.

Cris Collinsworth
07-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I think the division drafted to go after the Cowboys tackles and QB. The Giants took Jason Pierre-Paul who I thought was the most dynamic defensive player I saw in the draft. He is so fast and athletic. He is my pick for defensive ROY. Remember the Giants won the Super Bowl because nobody could block their front 4. They may be back to that level now.

The Eagles drafted Brandon Graham to take pressure off of Trent Cole. The Eagles moved up in the first round to get him, they need him to be great. If the Eagles get MLBer Stewart Bradley back from that knee injury, and get more natural pressure without having to blitz, they could take a huge step forward in Sean McDermott's second year. Blitzing creates 1-1 match-ups that Cole and Graham should win.

The Redskins move to a 3-4 with their two 11 sack guys, Andre Carter and Brian Orakpo now playing Outside LBer. If Haynesworth can (will) stop the run at nose tackle and let those two guys go get the QB, the Redskins defense could hold that top 10 rating. The offense you know is going to be better with McNabb, Shanahan, and first round tackle Trent Williams.

davethepanther
07-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Chris, I am not sold on JPP. You say ROY, I think this guy is gonna be a big time BUST. I think the Giants will make up with Linval Joseph. I watched him against University of Houston on the C-USA championship game. Houston could do nothing with him. HE IS A BEAST... JPP BUST.... JOSEPH BEAST...

FLPackerFan
07-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Here are my predictions.

NFC North

Green Bay Packers - I think they are young and and getting better. I think their line is more stable this year and some depth if their tackles go down. Year two under Capers on defense you ill see more improvement. I think they are ready for the next step.

Minnesota will not make the playoffs. I think Childress is a very good game manager (12 men in the huddle in the championship after a time out). There early season schedule is brutal. Favre as great as he was last year is going to be 41. Sooner or later age will catch you. I don't think he will survive the Jets game. Also I think the loss of Chester Taylor will be felt. he was a good #2 and Peterson needs to prove he can hold the rock. Chicago will be a train wreck. I am not a fan of Mike Martz or Cutler. If they get off to a slow start, it will get ugly. I would not be surprised to see Detroit improve a lot and challenge .500.

NFC East

Dallas Cowboys - Talent wise they may be one of the best in the league. However I do not think they will be playing at home in the Super Bowl.

I think the Giants are in a rebuilding phase as is Philadelphia. The Redskins have high hopes with McNabb, however he will get hurt because they have no line. Bruce Allen as a GM is a joke. here in Tampa he was John Gruden's biatch as Gruden made most the picks. Shannans is a great coach but not a personal guy and you will see that be proven true. How long will Snyder stay out of it.

NFC South

New Orleans Saints - They are the best team and in a way still is. They have good leadership and are not getting cocky as a lot of champs do. Atlanta will be there also and will be a wild card. Carolina is rebuilding and facing coaching changes. Tampa Bay is rebuilding and has a long way to go.

NFC West

San Francisco 49ers - I think they are going to take the next step and win the division. I am a fan and believer in Mike Singletary and this comes from a Packer fan. Arizona will feel the loss of Kurt Warner. Seattle is rebuilding and needs a healthy QB. St. Louis is years away due to lack of talent.

AFC East

New York Jets - Defense, Defense, Defense along with the continued development of Sanchez is enough said.

New England will be right there with Belichik and Brady combo. Miami will also improve from last year and Buffalo has a way to go. Bottom line is the Jets defense will win the east.

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens - This is the best team in the AFC. They still have defense and had a great draft. With Bolden there now they finally have a true offensive weapon. Pittsburgh has too many questions this year. Cincinnati will be tough and there at the end in possibly a wild card. Cleveland don't rock, they suck.

AFC South

Indianapolis Colts - Until somebody beats them, they will be there again. The rest of the division has to play catch up. Houston may be a wild card this year. The Jags have a way to go and I am not a believer in Vince Young. He will still prove to be a bust.

AFC West

San Diego Chargers - They are still the team to beat. With Rivers there, they will win again. The rest of the division is getting better. Watch the Raiders now that they have a QB.

My picks

Packers, Cowboys, Saints, 49ers
Falcons, Eagles - wildcards

Jets, Ravens, Colts, Chargers
Patriots, Texans - wildcards

iwantpizza
07-05-2010, 05:10 PM
west-cardinals
east-cowboys
north-packers
south-saints
wildcards- vikings, falcons

as transitional of year this will be for arizona they will still be a better team than san fran but i think the niners definitely have a chance and honestly the division winner will have a terrible record either way most likely 9-7 but 8-8 is not out of the question. I think the cowboys simply have the best team in the east and really only believe that the giants will give them any competition as the skins have further to go than people think and the eagles have a brand new qb (and andy reid still). the next two divisions i think will be the best in the nfc this year as both the packers and vikings and saints and falcons should have very close races for their respective divisions with the losers i believe still making the playoffs as wildcards. I do think that carolina could surprise people though, as clausen is coming into an offense where he will not have much responsibility and therefore should be able to grow, carolina was a dominant team heading into the playoffs two years ago and i think some consistency at quarterback could help them remember how to play like that again.

GiantsFaninToronto
07-05-2010, 05:15 PM
East: Dallas (Second seed)
North: Vikings (Third seed)
South: Saints (First seed)
West: 49ers (Fourth seed)
WC: Giants (Could win the division if defense returns)
WC: Seahawks (Just have a hunch that they'll bounce back due to a weak division)

giantsfan97
07-05-2010, 05:36 PM
The Giants took Jason Pierre-Paul who I thought was the most dynamic defensive player I saw in the draft. He is so fast and athletic. He is my pick for defensive ROY.

Cris, while I hope you are right, do you think JPP will get enough playing time behind Osi/Tuck/Kiwanuka to get the statistical numbers to win ROY?

Wordsworth
07-05-2010, 07:07 PM
North - Packers. The have basically the same team as last year with a more experienced and healthy offensive line, Jermichael Finley as the starter for a whole season, and Rodgers playing like a top 3 QB. Chicago and Minnesota will have good years but I think Green Bay has the edge.

West - Arizona. I agree that a lot of people fell off the Cards wagon as soon as Warner retired, but I think they are a very competitive team. Their defense is not going to play very well because they've lost some valuable position guys, but they play in a relatively weaker division and should be fine. The 49ers will make strides and threaten but will fall short, and the Seahawks will need at least one year under Carroll before I think they field a competitive team.

South - Saints. I have to go with the returning champs because of how strong their roster looks and the fact that they have most everyone who was vital to their success returning. Their defense takes a step back this season but I think they have the most talented roster and excellent team chemistry. The Falcons should improve under Matt Ryan's 3rd year and I want them to succeed, but the Saints outmatch them at every position except RB. Having both Turner and Peria Jerry back is great news for Atlanta and this is the division I'm least confident in my pick of. The Panthers are too questionable to win the division to me but they might play spoiler to someone late in the year. Bucs suck.

East - Cowboys. I'm a Dallas fan but I am also a realist, and I don't think the rest of the division is stronger than the Cowboys in 2010. Washington has improved and gotten worse in the same offseason and I really don't know what to expect from them. Too many questions on both sides. The Eagles are a great team but Kolb's first year as a starter makes me a bit cautious in the hellfire pit that is Philly fandom. The Giants had an off year last year and should round back into form but I am concerned about the durability of their ground game and the porous umbrella on their secondary.

Wildcards: Vikings, Falcons/Bears. Minnesota is a great team and I think Favre having even an average year can still get them to 9-7 and into the playoffs as a wildcard. The Bears are intriguing to me but there are too many new parts for me to predict how well they will work together on the field. I need to do some more research. If it's not the Bears then I imagine Atlanta can pull it out.

If I could only keep three from last year, I'd have:
North - Packers
West - San Fran
South - Saints
East - Dallas
WC: Atlanta, Bears

Andy Freeland
07-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Playing by the same rules as the AFC thread (can only keep 3 from last year):
Giants. Not loving the Giants, but I like them, and I'm out of keepers.
Packers. 2nd rated defense, 6th rated offense. Rodgers in MVP conversation.
Saints. Falcons give chase all season, but Saints take the south by a game.
49ers. SF got better, Cards got worse. Seahawks are the great unknown.

WC:
Vikings. Still a good team, but I don't see Favre having as good a year as last.
Falcons. Michael Turner is somewhere between '08 Turner and '09 Turner, which is enough to get the Falcons 10 or 11 wins.

cobber66
07-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I'll take a shot at this one with those same rules:

Dallas: I love their big, physical offensive line and tough D. I think Romo is still underrated as a QB.
Minnesota: A bit of a homer pick, don't think they'll be as good as last year but will still win the North
Atlanta: I think they get back on track and pull off the South title
Seattle: I like the offseason moves, like Andy said probably the biggest unknown, but playing a soft schedule

Wild Cards
New Orleans: Still a great team, but schedule is much tougher than in 09
Washington: Like Seattle I think they'll surprise people this year

Also in contention:
Green Bay: probably should be in here but used up my 3, took NO over them because NO plays the NFC West
New York
Carolina
Chicago

NickMykita
07-05-2010, 11:03 PM
I'll give the NFC a go.

Division Winners
NY Giants: They should have done it last year, but the bottom fell out on them. That kind of lightning doesn't strike twice in a row.
Green Bay: They won't let the Vikings rough them up like last year. Also, their O-line should be much better at protecting Aaron Rodgers.
New Orleans: Even though they live on Bourbon Street, these guys won't have a Super Bowl hangover like the Steelers did.
San Francisco: Without Kurt Warner, the Cardinals are very vulnerable. The Rams are going through Reconstruction and the Seahawks aren't quite there yet.

Wild Cards
Minnesota: Favre won't be as good as last year, but he'll be good enough.
Atlanta: The pieces are in place for this team to go far. Now they just have to do it.

nate2588
07-06-2010, 01:43 AM
NFC EAST: Giants-Best D-line in football, Manning is above average, and Perry Fewell will be an improvement
NFC SOUTH: Saints-Drew Brees is awesome and good talent at every position
NFC NORTH: Packers-Rodgers is a top 5 QB, Oline will be better, and defense is top 5
NFC WEST: 49ers-Great running game, Pat Willis is a beast, and Warner and Boldin are gone
WC: Vikings-Pretty great, but aging, injury and suspension concerns, AP fumbles alot, and Childress is shaky
WC: Redskins-Will suprise because the have the Shanahan duo and a game-changing QB. Also they have a solid front seven

Contenders
Cowboys- ?'s at Offensive Tackle, bad HC, but have loads of talant
Bears- Terrible Oline, terrible coaching, but improved defense and will have a better Cutler
Panthers- No pass rush with Peppers gone, not enough recieving threats, but have great running game and descent QBs
Eagles- Kolb is no McNabb

GBPKS
07-06-2010, 11:42 AM
NFC East: New York Giants
NFC North: Green Bay
NFC South: Atlanta
NFC West: Arizona
Wild Card: New Orleans
Wild Card: Dallas

The NFC is wide open this year, and it's really difficult to make predictions.

The NFC East is going to be a war, but I think the Giants will have a bounceback season. I don't think their defense will be as bad as it was at the end of the season, and they should be able to benefit from a third place schedule to get the extra 1-2 wins that will be the difference in winning this division. I don't think Dallas ever deals well when they have expectations on them - they have a lot of talent but their coaching is suspect and I think they'll crack. I wasn't sure whether to give them or Minnesota the last wild card spot, but I went with the Cowboys mostly because the NFC East always seems to get two teams in. I think Philadelphia will have some growing pains with Kevin Kolb (similar to Green Bay's first season with Aaron Rodgers at the helm), and I don't think McNabb is a dramatic upgrade over Jason Campbell at this stage of his career. I think the Redskins will be in the playoff race late in the season but will fall short.

The NFC North may well come down to the two Green Bay vs. Minnesota games. Last year, the Vikings swept the Packers and took the division. I'm a Packer fan and am biased, but I am hopeful Green Bay can restore balance to the rivalry and finally beat their old QB. The Packers played the Vikings twice early in the season when their OLine was in disarray - and Jared Allen proved to be a dominant force. Hopefully Dom Capers learned something in the offseason that will allow him to get pressure on elite quarterbacks - because last year he sat back and watched as elite QBs like Favre, Roethlisberger, and Warner dissected the Packers' coverage schemes. I think the Packers are hitting their stride while Minnesota's best days might be behind them - I can't imagine Favre being as good as he was last year, and the once great Viking OLine is starting to show cracks. Percy Harvin added a dynamic dimension to the offense last season, but I'm not sure he can perpetually stay healthy. He is small and had trouble with migraines last year - and I would be surprised to see him play 16 games this season. Jay Cutler and Mike Martz will be an entertaining combination for the Bears but I'm not sure the talent is there on offense and I think the defense is past its prime. This is Lovie Smith's last stand in Chicago and he might pull a rabbit out of the hat, but I'm not going to bank on it. I think Detroit will continue to show steady improvement, but the division is just too strong for them.

The NFC South will be a dogfight between Atlanta and New Orleans, but I think the Falcons are a dark horse Super Bowl contender if Matt Ryan and Michael Turner stay healthy. The Saints are the defending Super Bowl champions, and I was tempted to knock them out of the playoffs in lieu of Minnesota, but I have more faith in Sean Payton and Drew Brees than I do in Brad Childress and Brett Favre. I think Carolina will take a step back, and the Bucs will be improved, but the trend of the last place team in the NFC South winning the division should finally end this year. Plus, this year the NFC South plays the NFC West and will benefit from that by getting two playoff teams even though I think the East and North are deeper divisions.

The NFC West is very difficult to project. In any other division, an offseason like the Cardinals had would definitely drop them out of the playoff picture, but the NFC West is just bad enough for them to compete if Matt Leinart is at all competent at quarterback. The 49ers are the consensus pick to win this division, but I'm not sold on Alex Smith. I don't think the Seahawks have enough horses, although they did have an excellent draft and might be a year away from reclaiming this division. The Rams have won 3 games combined in the last two years, so it's hard to expect much out of them but in this division anything might be possible.

I am predicting the Packers to play the Falcons in the NFC Championship Game in the Georgia Dome.

Coldriver
07-06-2010, 11:59 AM
NFC East: Cowboys
NFC North: Packers
NFC South: Saints
NFC West: 49ers
Wildcard: Vikings
Wildcard: Giants

Teams that I'm pretty sure won't be anywhere near the playoffs: Lions, Rams, Seahawks, Buccs
Teams that might take a step backward: Eagles, Cardinals
Teams probably one year away from the leap: Falcons, Bears
No idea what to think about these guys: Redskins, Panthers

I'm really looking forward to this season. I don't know why, but it feels like we're getting closer to having fewer stinker games where you're done watching by the middle of the 2nd quarter, at least in the NFC.

FLPackerFan
07-06-2010, 12:29 PM
I do not think the Bears are one year away from a leap. If they do not make the playoffs this year they will be firing everyone and starting over. You will see high priced players let go. it is no secret that the Bears ownership is cheap. I am surprised they spent as much as they did this off season. However NFL contracts are not guaranteed. They will be starting over next year from the GM down through the coaching staff in my opinion. The team in the NFC that will make a leap to challenge .500 this year and break out in 2011 is Detroit.

Coldriver
07-06-2010, 01:31 PM
I do not think the Bears are one year away from a leap. If they do not make the playoffs this year they will be firing everyone and starting over. You will see high priced players let go. it is no secret that the Bears ownership is cheap. I am surprised they spent as much as they did this off season. However NFL contracts are not guaranteed. They will be starting over next year from the GM down through the coaching staff in my opinion. The team in the NFC that will make a leap to challenge .500 this year and break out in 2011 is Detroit.

I don't agree. We've been saying that they should fire everyone and start over for quite a while now. I think they'll be maintaining the status quo for at least the next year - and it is entirely possible that they will make the playoffs. This is an ownership that likes to coast so I don't see any wholesale changes coming along.

Also, with the 2011 season up in the air, I wouldn't be shocked if the Bears froze up entirely and stuck with what they have. After all, the damage has already been done with the Cutler trade. For better or worse, they have to ride it out and I think they might come out (marginally) better for it. I really think that the NFC is very up in the air - with plenty of opportunity for the Bears to stumble backwards into something over the next two seasons.

stockman311
07-06-2010, 02:32 PM
South: Saints
North: Packers
East: Cowboys
West: 49ers

WC: Falcons, Vikings