PDA

View Full Version : Important news

Andy Freeland
09-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Please continue working during the following announcement:

The Cincinnati Reds are up by 8 games and tied for the best record in the national league.

Thank you

hassan812
09-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Man, this team is the real deal. I thought they were going to collapse after they got swept by the Cards, but the exact reverse thing happened. Joey Votto is probably the MVP favorite and is challenging for a triple crown!!! Oh yea, that Aroldis Chapman guy seems pretty good. Not, a bad call up.....

msclemons
09-01-2010, 11:39 PM
People still watch baseball?

Andy Freeland
09-01-2010, 11:42 PM

I went to the game on Sunday. Great game, 293 degrees in the shade and I wasn't in the shade.

KabaModernFan
09-01-2010, 11:44 PM
I can't watch a sport where 66% of stadiums look like they're barely selling half their tickets.

NickMykita
09-01-2010, 11:45 PM
I echo this sentiment. Baseball has always been a favorite sport of mine, but as a lifelong Pirates fan, I find myself asking, "When do the Steelers start training camp?" every July. I've been ready to move on to football season for a long time now.

hassan812
09-01-2010, 11:46 PM
I echo this sentiment. Baseball has always been a favorite sport of mine, but as a lifelong Pirates fan, I find myself asking, "When do the Steelers start training camp?" every July. I've been ready to move on to football season for a long time now.

It's a shame what happened to the Pittsburgh Pirates franchise.....

msclemons
09-01-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm one of those sad, pathetic bitter old men who still haven't forgiven the '94 strike.

Interesting seeing the Reds do well though. Haven't seen them in the news since Marge was spouting racist propaganda and letting her dog poop all over the place. Who owns the team now?

Polishguy00
09-02-2010, 08:12 AM
I thought the Reds would take another year, but they have put it together. I consider myself one of the four remaining people that love baseball. It is probably because I played it through college, but it is really a good game. It is incredibly mis-managed by Trader Bud and his cronies.

Pruitt
09-02-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm one of those sad, pathetic bitter old men who still haven't forgiven the '94 strike.

Me too. And having that debacle followed by the pharmaceutical era which was only exacerbated by having to listen to baseball commentators continuing to wax poetically about the beauty and tradition of the game pushed me further away. Odd thing is that once you stop watching for a while, it's easy to stay away.

Having said that, it's nice to see the Reds back on top. This kid Concepcion is a hell of a shortstop.

Docta
09-02-2010, 09:49 PM
As long as the Cards aren't on top, I'm happy.

Wordsworth
09-02-2010, 09:56 PM
My Astros are a sad franchise and it makes watching baseball hard sometimes. I love it though. I saw some of the Chapman kid the other day. What a disgusting arm. Not only does he throw over 100 with regularity, but he has a hard breaking slider that falls right off the table. Great stuff.

TheLinc
09-03-2010, 09:33 AM
My Astros are a sad franchise and it makes watching baseball hard sometimes. I love it though. I saw some of the Chapman kid the other day. What a disgusting arm. Not only does he throw over 100 with regularity, but he has a hard breaking slider that falls right off the table. Great stuff.

So....Tommy Johns in the next couple weeks?

FessJL0861
09-03-2010, 05:47 PM
I thought the Reds would take another year, but they have put it together. I consider myself one of the four remaining people that love baseball. It is probably because I played it through college, but it is really a good game. It is incredibly mis-managed by Trader Bud and his cronies.

I would be the 2nd of the 4 remaining. Love me some baseball. I do agree that Bud-reau has run MLB into the ground. If he could just get a World Series game on before 10 CT, he might have a product...

Andy Freeland
09-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Reds at Cardinals for 3 games starting tonight. Reds really only need to win 1 of the 3.

FessJL0861
09-03-2010, 05:53 PM
If they take 1 of 3, you could talk me into taking them for the Division crown. (Side note, I just watched Rudy tackle the Georgie Tech QB, and now he is getting carried off the field. Tied with Jimmy Chitwood hitting the bucket to wrap up the title for Hickory High (Milan High) for the 2nd best sports movie moment EVER. Wait, should this be a thread???)

Kosar19
09-03-2010, 06:00 PM
I have to admit that I'm a baseball fan and the NL triple crown race is the most interesting in years. But, it's rough to stay into baseball as an Indians fan.

FessJL0861
09-03-2010, 06:02 PM
As a Cubbies fan, trust me, if you love the game, it ain't that rough. Ok it's pretty frickin' rough...

SpartaChris
09-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Please continue working during the following announcement:

The Cincinnati Reds are up by 8 games and tied for the best record in the national league.

Thank you

Who are these Cincinnati Reds you speak of?

FessJL0861
09-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Dibble, Charleton, Myers ring a bell? Something about some "Nasty Boys" thing? Andy some help?.......

SpartaChris
09-03-2010, 06:21 PM
My lack of interest in Baseball is two fold:

1) It's really friggin slow. I dunno if it's my ADD or what, but a full game just doesn't keep my interest.

2) They play WAY too many games per season. Playing 160 games a year means A) most games mean little to nothing, and b) you can afford to miss 40 or 50 games and not really have missed anything...

But hey, more power to the people who follow it closely. I am not one of them.

FessJL0861
09-03-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't follow as closely as in years past, but it's something to keep me from watching paint dry during the NFL offseason. Plus, I like the long schedule because it keeps expectations in check. I really dislike the knee jerk reaction after an NFL team loses a close game in week 6. It's like the season is over. That is one thing that is a plus for baseball for me.

SpartaChris
09-03-2010, 07:32 PM
I have Hockey to fill in the slow period between Football season and Football season.

FessJL0861
09-03-2010, 07:39 PM
hockey is good, but not my preference. I grill things and drink beer with a sunburn...

GoBigOrGoHome
09-03-2010, 09:09 PM
I have Hockey to fill in the slow period between Football season and Football season.

I still follow baseball. Just not as closely as I used to. I fill that void with hockey. Go Red Wings, baby!!

FessJL0861
09-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Looks like game 1 isn't happening Andy. But, if Bruce plays tomorrow, and they can slide him into the leadoff spot, I like their chances.

On a separate note, I'm going dove hunting tomorrow. Nothing beats waking up and hopefully killing my limit of "birds of peace", defeathering them, and then eating them.

Andy Freeland
09-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Only need 1, and even that's more symbolic than anything else. 7 game lead this time of year is pretty solid, unless you're the Mets of course.

Polishguy00
09-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Looks like game 1 isn't happening Andy. But, if Bruce plays tomorrow, and they can slide him into the leadoff spot, I like their chances.

On a separate note, I'm going dove hunting tomorrow. Nothing beats waking up and hopefully killing my limit of "birds of peace", defeathering them, and then eating them.

I really hope you have killed at least one of the doves from the church scene in "Face/Off" before. I hope he or she was delicious.

FessJL0861
09-04-2010, 10:02 AM
I really hope you have killed at least one of the doves from the church scene in "Face/Off" before. I hope he or she was delicious.

Headin' out in about 25 minutes. I will take care of that particular bird, and I'll let you know how he or she tasted.

Bengals1181
09-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Only need 1, and even that's more symbolic than anything else. 7 game lead this time of year is pretty solid, unless you're the Mets of course.

yea I'd like 2, but if the Reds get 1 its close to over. I'd say its already over, but that following Rockies series is looking a little tougher with the way they are playing.

Cards pitching staff just matches up well against the Reds lineup. Doesn't hurt that this is the second straight series that LaRussa has shuffled his rotation so that his top 3 pitchers are pitching in this series. Think he's a little concerned?

FessJL0861
09-04-2010, 10:07 AM
i was at Great American a few years ago for opening day vs. the Cubs. It was a great experience all around. No heckling, just friendly ribbing (I was in my Cubs jersey), and even some beer buying for each other. It was a great time. To top the visit off, I walked out of the stadium to smoke, and ended up talking to George Grande for about 15 minutes! He couldn't have been a nicer guy. He took a few pictures with us. Fantastic time. Cinci was great to me that weekend.

Docta
09-29-2010, 12:29 AM
That Jay Bruce walk-off gave me goosebumps.

Reds clinch.

Bengals1181
09-29-2010, 01:17 AM
Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!

Bengals1181
09-29-2010, 01:18 AM
That Jay Bruce walk-off gave me goosebumps.

Reds clinch.

x2, everytime I watch it.

Andy Freeland
09-29-2010, 01:29 AM
What a great way to win the pennant. Great to have post season baseball back in Cincy, it's been a while.

DemCowboys
09-29-2010, 11:16 AM
If they take 1 of 3, you could talk me into taking them for the Division crown. (Side note, I just watched Rudy tackle the Georgie Tech QB, and now he is getting carried off the field. Tied with Jimmy Chitwood hitting the bucket to wrap up the title for Hickory High (Milan High) for the 2nd best sports movie moment EVER. Wait, should this be a thread???)

One of the coolest things that I ever got to do as a multi media artist was take original footage from the 1954 state finals and the parade through the town of Milan and convert it to digital media for the 50 year anniversary in 2004. Watching that footage on a reel to reel was so cool and I wonder what footage or knowledge they used to create the movie from.

DemCowboys
09-29-2010, 11:16 AM
x2, everytime I watch it.

Nice to see 2009 Jay Bruce show up in 2010 for the last few weeks.

DannyMilk
10-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Doc....halladay

Andy Freeland
10-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Doc....halladay

You suck

StarvinMarvin
10-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Doc....halladay

What a bummer :( At least the Reds made history. Sorta. If by made history you mean sucked the life out of an entire community for the next 24 hours.

Bengals1181
10-07-2010, 11:08 AM
tough game to watch.

While I don't think Volquez and Halladay were getting the same strike zone, Halladay still probably throws a no-hitter last night. He had some nasty stuff going.

Sadly, if not for one bad decision by Cabrera, the Reds get out of the 2nd inning and its still a 1-0 game. Kudos to the Reds bullpen holding a dangerous lineup to one hit over the final 6 2/3 innings.

Never liked that Dusty named Volquez the Game 1 starter. He's been awful on the road this year and has struggled with control when his adrenaline pumping. So you pitch him game 1 in his first career playoff start, on the road in one of the most hostile environments in baseball. Brilliant.