PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Packers cuts?

SpartaChris
09-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Any big surprises?

Mine was Will Blackmon and Spencer Havner, but after looking into it a bit, I understand why they were made. Blackmon couldn't stay healthy and Havner wasn't a better ball catcher than Quarless or a better blocker than Crabtree. Donald Lee stays as veteran protection in case Finley goes down.

What say you?

atnelson928
09-06-2010, 04:25 PM
The biggest surprise has to be keeping 3 FB and 2 RB. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

I was also surprised by Havner - I thought that we'd keep him since he can play LB in a pinch. But, I understand why he went given the other TE options.

bluestree
09-06-2010, 11:15 PM
The biggest surprise has to be keeping 3 FB and 2 RB. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

I was also surprised by Havner - I thought that we'd keep him since he can play LB in a pinch. But, I understand why he went given the other TE options.

Au contraire, mon frere.

RB=keep 5, Grant Jackson Kuhn Hall Johnson. Porter to p.squad Starks on pup to week 6, then stashed on IR or Johnson cut.

I suspected they would go with only Grant and Jackson. They can give Kuhn a few reps at tail back and get Johnson on the field more often. They like Kuhn in short yardage from the FB, they can do that with him at HB lead by Johnson. I did think Porter would stick, but they didn't sign him, and Starks might be getting a redshirt year.
Overall, I give Ted Thompson credit for making tough decisions. I thought they might keep all five TE's, being as Havner was also an LB, which is where he'll play in Detroit. But they kept 10 O line, and only 8 backers. I guess they felt like Crabtree was going to be a very effective blocker. Ted really believes we need to have that run game to play in Nov. and Dec. and I would add Soldier Field. And they would have cut the older guy, DLee if the felt they could have, so that tell's you Havner isn't a complete TE that could come in and start for you if he had to. Quarless will have a redshirt year ala Finley.
I also figured Ted would bring in somebody on the order of DMartin last year, but with everybody scarfing up the players he cuts I guess there's not much out there.
As far as Blackmon goes, they said the theme of this preseason was "availability and accoutability", so he was half way gone from the start. He's a great playmaker, he has the talent to really be great, but I think somebody's got his black cat bone.

GBPKS
09-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm most surprised that the Packers didn't add anybody to the team during the waiver period. I would have expected an acquisition of a third halfback or a WR with kick return ability. I would have easily sacrified Brett Swain for someone who could be used as a kick/punt returner.

With respect to the other cuts, the writing was on the wall for Will Blackmon - his knee just couldn't be trusted to hold up and the Packers didn't have the roster flexibility to hang onto him and wait it out.

Cutting Havner was surprising also, but you just couldn't keep 5 TE. I thought Havner's versatility would win out over Crabtree, especially since as an undrafted free agent Crabtree would have a better chance of going unclaimed, but it was not to be. Havner showed something as a goal line receiving TE last year so he will be missed, but I do like Quarless a lot and the coaches obviously like something about Crabtree.

FessJL0861
09-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Havner was a bit of a shocker. I understand the mentality of TT, but I still loved his versatility. I read somewhere on here that one of the pros wrote, "you win with the 2 guys you don't cut". Hmmm......

SpartaChris
09-07-2010, 12:26 PM
I was initially surprised by the Havner cut, but after looking into it further, it made sense. He's been on the roster since 2006, having a chance to play a bigger role on the team, but he just wasn't. The 7 catches, 4 for TD's looks sexy, but Quarless has equally good hands and Crabtree seems to be the better blocker.

bluestree
09-07-2010, 01:57 PM
I was initially surprised by the Havner cut, but after looking into it further, it made sense. He's been on the roster since 2006, having a chance to play a bigger role on the team, but he just wasn't. The 7 catches, 4 for TD's looks sexy, but Quarless has equally good hands and Crabtree seems to be the better blocker.

Exactly. Those four TD's are easily replaced on this team. Freep.com says Havner will be used at TE and FB, but he practiced with the backers and I'll stick by the JSOnline's reporting. Detroit needs help behind the D line. The Free Press also mistakenly stated Spence was a second year player.
After letting it sink in, it seems the Pack is focused on establishing an identity in the run game. Being explosive in the passing game, able to score points, but also being vulnerable in the secondary, a strong running game protects the D and the QB. If Grant is ripping off chunks of five or six yards, killing clock and preserving leads, it sets the D up to blitz the hell out of opposing quarterbacks. All we need now is for Jenkins and Jones and Barnett to start getting home.
Also worth noting, Tramon Williams is going to run back punts. That will help the return team, but my real concern is coverage. Lapses in coverage have been killing the Pack for years, it has to stop. Let's hope they get it done.

SpartaChris
09-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Tramon may not be returning punts afterall. TB's Clifton Smith is visiting with GB today. He was a probowl PR/KR in 2008.

FessJL0861
09-07-2010, 03:54 PM
This would be the first honest to goodness return threat since Desmond Howard.

GBPKS
09-07-2010, 04:02 PM
This would be the first honest to goodness return threat since Desmond Howard.

Allen Rossum was pretty good when he was here...

bluestree
09-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Tramon may not be returning punts afterall. TB's Clifton Smith is visiting with GB today. He was a probowl PR/KR in 2008.

I guess Smith had a rough camp injury wise after missing seven games last year with multiple concussions. He was cut by the Bucs to make room for Kregg Lumpkin. I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers passed on him. According to PewterReport.com he has fumbling issues, one thing McCarthy does not cut much slack on. If they don't sign Smith, I imagine they'll be working guys out every week if they can. I'm sure they'd rather not have their No.2 cornerback running back kicks.

SpartaChris
09-07-2010, 08:34 PM
False alarm. The kid is going to Miami. Apparently we had some concerns with the number of concussions he got last year.

FessJL0861
09-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Allen Rossum was pretty good when he was here...

Yeah he was OK, but I don't think teams planned around him though.

FessJL0861
09-07-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm sure they'd rather not have their No.2 cornerback running back kicks.

I sure as heck wouldn't.

GBPKS
09-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Well, in the Packers' defense, if the D plays the way they did against Pittsburgh and Arizona last season, then punt returner isn't a position they are going to use much anyway...

FessJL0861
09-11-2010, 02:40 AM
Well, in the Packers' defense, if the D plays the way they did against Pittsburgh and Arizona last season, then punt returner isn't a position they are going to use much anyway...

Vary valid point made there. I just don't want to see Tramon fielding punts until someone gets un-PUP-ed

SpartaChris
09-11-2010, 03:55 AM
Well, look at it this way- the Packers are doing something different and taking an aggressive approach by having their two best people field the punts. They're playing to win, as opposed to playing it safe. I know it's not popular, but I like the move.

FessJL0861
09-15-2010, 10:01 PM
I take back all of the doubt I displayed with Jordy Nelson. Who knew?