PDA

View Full Version : Who to start?

mjchefer
09-06-2010, 01:28 PM
So... Should I start Jabar Gaffney or Thomas Jones at the flex?

msclemons
09-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Thomas Jones. Ride him like a mule until the Chiefs show some sense and start using Charles more.

Andy Freeland
09-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Agree. If it's even close you start the RB and it's not close, start Jones.

mjchefer
09-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Trumpetbdw
09-06-2010, 02:10 PM
If it's a PPR (and maybe in a standard league, too), I actually think Gaffney's the safer bet. Last year, only the Titans gave up more points to WR than Jacksonville.

msclemons
09-06-2010, 02:26 PM
True Trumpet, but the Titans tightened up in the secondary during the second half of the season. Most of the damage was done in the first 6 games. I only remember this because they burned me badly twice when I sat a regular to play a scrub against the Titans' "weak" secondary :)

Chilly
09-06-2010, 02:51 PM
I disagree and say that Gaffney will have more points...

How about this tri-fecta of a dilemma. Which QB would you start?
-Orton vs the Jaguars
-DA vs the Rams
-Cassel vs the Chargers

Polishguy00
09-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Orton versus the Jags. DA stinks. Cassel has not done much yet. The Jags still have not proven to have a pass rush. Neckbeard wins that one.

Chilly
09-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Point taken. Here are the projections from NFL.com for fantasy points this week:
DA-10.0
Orton-8.0
Cassel-5.0

KabaModernFan
09-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Go with Orton. San Diego has a decent defense and Anderson can't throw a slant. That's normally a red flag.

msclemons
09-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Quit harping on DA's slants. He throws great slants! He just throws them to the wrong team is all.

FessJL0861
09-06-2010, 03:49 PM
I would start Orton in a heartbeat over the other two for sure. Unless Cassell was matched up against the Jags D, then I would take him. Pretty much anyone against the Jags D.

Chilly
09-06-2010, 03:51 PM
DA has a higher fantasy ceiling for the season than the other two, IMO. I'll keep him on my bench for a few weeks at least. Since I missed out on snagging an elite QB I felt that grabbing three different third-tier QBs was necessary so I could have flexibility depending on opponents. Cris dropped Orton and I felt that I'd rather have an extra arm than a running back who won't see the field anytime soon. Wish my bench was a couple spots deeper, but oh well. For now, I'm good. By week 6 I don't expect to have 3 QBs--for now, its a mild luxury. Emphasize the mild.

Trumpetbdw
09-06-2010, 04:30 PM
True Trumpet, but the Titans tightened up in the secondary during the second half of the season. Most of the damage was done in the first 6 games. I only remember this because they burned me badly twice when I sat a regular to play a scrub against the Titans' "weak" secondary :)

Very true, however Gaffney's facing Jacksonville's secondary, of which I wouldn't be nearly as concerned. Ride Gaffney to his ugly 7 rec. 54 yd. day and hope he squeezes out a TD.

mkocs6
09-06-2010, 04:35 PM
DA has a higher fantasy ceiling for the season than the other two, IMO. I'll keep him on my bench for a few weeks at least. Since I missed out on snagging an elite QB I felt that grabbing three different third-tier QBs was necessary so I could have flexibility depending on opponents. Cris dropped Orton and I felt that I'd rather have an extra arm than a running back who won't see the field anytime soon. Wish my bench was a couple spots deeper, but oh well. For now, I'm good. By week 6 I don't expect to have 3 QBs--for now, its a mild luxury. Emphasize the mild.

DA's fantasy ceiling may be higher--I think that this statement is extremely debatable--but his basement is unquestionably deeper. Negative points are not outside the realm of possibility. Start Orton, he's consistent, and knowing you'll get 10 points is sometimes better than playing roulette, because when you need 23 you'll get 4.

Trumpetbdw
09-06-2010, 04:40 PM
And Orton's the safest bet at QB. Can't see trusting DA.

I see Whisenhunt trying to get up early so he can take the air out of the ball and pound the ground game. I have a feeling that DA's going to be used similarly to how Big Ben was used his first couple of years in Pittsburgh. When it's close, they'll rely on the ground game, and use Anderson's strong arm to try and stretch the field with some higher risk throws. The difference is, Roethlisberger made some big plays using that system. It seems very likely that many of Anderson's throws will simply become just as good as a punt.

Chilly
09-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Or maybe Anderson will just punt on third down like Big Ben once did.

I just see the tools around Anderson for him to put up big numbers, especially with his ability to throw the deep ball to Fitzgerald. This is strictly fantasy speaking, though. He has an arsenal of receivers to play with, and he has the ability to be great stat-QB as we saw with the Browns. If he can succeed with Braylon Edwards, he definitely can with Fitzgerald--especially when complemented by Doucet and Breaston. Gotta make some gambles in the later rounds of a fantasy draft, and I think DA was a worthy one for now.

But I'll go with Orton Week 1.

mkocs6
09-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Or maybe Anderson will just punt on third down like Big Ben once did.

I just see the tools around Anderson for him to put up big numbers, especially with his ability to throw the deep ball to Fitzgerald. This is strictly fantasy speaking, though. He has an arsenal of receivers to play with, and he has the ability to be great stat-QB as we saw with the Browns. If he can succeed with Braylon Edwards, he definitely can with Fitzgerald--especially when complemented by Doucet and Breaston. Gotta make some gambles in the later rounds of a fantasy draft, and I think DA was a worthy one for now.

But I'll go with Orton Week 1.

He was really only good with the Browns in 2007. In 2008 and 2009, his statistics were atrocious. He has no touch in short passing game. If opposing defenses are smart, they'll blitz the hell out of DA and force him to dump the ball to Wells (who's never been a great receiver) out of the backfield, or adjust to those great slants he throws so well to get the ball out quickly. He also really stares down his receivers. I'd expect picks, by the way, and when they come, they come in bunches.

I agree that you should gamble in later fantasy rounds. Most of the time you're going to cut the guys you take in rounds 11-15 at some point in the season anyway, unless you get really lucky or someone with a much higher tumbles for some reason. I just don't think the Cardinals' passing game without Warner and Boldin is even comparable to what it used to be.

FessJL0861
09-07-2010, 11:30 AM
DA's fantasy ceiling may be higher--I think that this statement is extremely debatable--but his basement is unquestionably deeper. Negative points are not outside the realm of possibility. Start Orton, he's consistent, and knowing you'll get 10 points is sometimes better than playing roulette, because when you need 23 you'll get 4.

Yes, yes, and yes. Always play the sure thing unless you have a feeling. If I see that Cassel is going up against the Rams and Manning has the Jets, I'm still probably going to start Manning vs. the Jets. However, if I'm in a poop sandwich, and I need a few points (think do or die for the playoffs), and I see DA vs. the Browns, I may start him and cross my fingers. For me I always take the sure points unless I need to gamble. Orton gives you 14 pretty sure points, and yeah DA may pull 24 out of his arse, but at the end of the day, Orton is more likely to have a bad day totaling 6 points and DA's bad day may be -8. All my opinion, but it has worked well for me in the past.

Polishguy00
09-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Yes, yes, and yes. Always play the sure thing unless you have a feeling. If I see that Cassel is going up against the Rams and Manning has the Jets, I'm still probably going to start Manning vs. the Jets. However, if I'm in a poop sandwich, and I need a few points (think do or die for the playoffs), and I see DA vs. the Browns, I may start him and cross my fingers. For me I always take the sure points unless I need to gamble. Orton gives you 14 pretty sure points, and yeah DA may pull 24 out of his arse, but at the end of the day, Orton is more likely to have a bad day totaling 6 points and DA's bad day may be -8. All my opinion, but it has worked well for me in the past.

Actually, I think this is a situation where there are only three poop sandwiches on the menu, but one is the "Lite Diet" portion. If I gotta eat a poop sandwich, I'm eating the smallest one.

mjchefer
09-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Actually, I think this is a situation where there are only three poop sandwiches on the menu, but one is the "Lite Diet" portion. If I gotta eat a poop sandwich, I'm eating the smallest one.

Yup, these are my readers.

-Bill Simmons

:)

FessJL0861
09-07-2010, 03:47 PM

At least put it on pita bread...

Wordsworth
09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Fantasy football is all about damage control and knowing when to make controlled risks. Kyle Orton is the reliable starter out of him, Anderson, and Cassel. Wait for the other two to prove they're even average starting QBs before you start playing the matchup game. Anderson might blow up but you can't let yourself get swept away by the hype train. He's no Kurt Warner. He's going to struggle mightily.

For the first post I would start Gaffney since he plays every down and Jones is in a timeshare with a young guy that routinely outperforms him. I wouldn't start Jones because he's averaging less than 3ypc in the preseason and he's played half his snaps against backups and roster filler. Not a good sign.

FessJL0861
09-09-2010, 12:42 PM
I didn't realize until I read your post Words that Gaffney was a #1. What is the world coming to? And what in the heck happened to Eddie Royal? Didn't he show a bunch of promise a year or so ago?

Wordsworth
09-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Royal had a great rookie season but hit the proverbial sophomore wall last year, posting 1/3rd the number of yards and receptions, while Brandon Marshall posted video game numbers for another straight year. Royal was expected to become a Welker type in McDaniel's system but it didn't work out that way. Remember, Royal's great rookie campaign was under Shanahan, and his second year was a completely new regime and offensive scheme. Maybe he bounces back this year, but for now Gaffney is getting more targets and may end up leading the Broncos in receiving this year. Possibly. Pats fans don't like Gaffney for one huge drop he had, but the guy can play. He's not great, but he can get the job done.

FessJL0861
09-10-2010, 04:54 PM
You know, Royal seems to have some potential. And he certainly has a bit more of a future than Gaffney. Your right though, Gaffney is serviceable, but I would like to see Royal get a bit more involved this year.

Wordsworth
09-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Agreed on Royal. The kid can ball. I don't know what his struggles were related to last year, be it the new system or a new QB or something as simple as a sophomore slump. He is poised to bounce back this year after the nasty season he posted in 2009.

Chilly
09-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Agreed on Royal. The kid can ball. I don't know what his struggles were related to last year, be it the new system or a new QB or something as simple as a sophomore slump. He is poised to bounce back this year after the nasty season he posted in 2009.

He didn't have the amazing Jay Cutler throwing to him. Life without a prodigy is tough.

FessJL0861
09-11-2010, 02:32 AM
He didn't have the amazing Jay Cutler throwing to him. Life without a prodigy is tough.

Cutler in Chicago has been an early term abortion, but when he was in Denver with Shanahan, he had an ESP link with Royal. He is one of those guys that leaves and signs free agent, then proceeds to make a Pro Bowl. He has talent. Words and I can't be the only ones that see it.