PDA

View Full Version : T.J. Houshmandzadeh joins Ravens

Colts01
09-06-2010, 07:29 PM
In a surprise move, the Baltimore Ravens signed former Seattle Seahawks receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh on a one-year contract.

Walker: Ravens Have Super Plans
The Ravens, who have serious Super Bowl aspirations, showed they're leaving nothing to chance by signing T.J. Houshmandzadeh, James Walker writes. Blog

Houshmandzadeh's deal is worth $855,000, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Seattle still owes Houshmandzadeh $6.15 million, meaning the receiver will make a total of $7 million this season.

To make room for Houshmandzadeh, the Ravens traded receiver Mark Clayton to the St. Louis Rams. A league source told ESPN that the Rams sent a sixth-round pick to Baltimore and got Clayton and a seventh-round pick in return.

Houshmandzadeh told USA Today that linebacker Ray Lewis recruited him to the Ravens.

"Ray said, 'If you want to win, this is the place to be,' '' Houshmandzadeh told the newspaper. "The way he is on the field is how he is off the field. Passionate. Our conversation was passionate and insightful.

"I know from competing against those guys when I was in Cincinnati how it is in Baltimore.''

Houshmandzadeh told USA Today that he chose the Ravens for a chance to win a Super Bowl.

What A Catch
The Baltimore Ravens agreed to a deal with T.J. Houshmanzadeh, who is among the NFL leaders in all wide receiver categories since 2004.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh
NFL Ranks by WR, Since '04
Receptions 524 2nd*
Rec. yds 5,973 12th
TD 39 10th
* -- Behind Reggie Wayne

"Baltimore was about a chance to win the ring,'' Houshmandzadeh told the newspaper. "Five or six teams have a legit shot to win a Super Bowl this year and they were one of them. Without me.

"Although I had other options and I was seriously considering those, I just couldn't pass this up. Winning is why we play sports.''

Houshmandzadeh ultimately decided to join a team in the same division as the team that drafted him -- the Cincinnati Bengals.

Houshmandzadeh now will join a stable of wide receivers that includes Anquan Boldin, Derrick Mason and Donte' Stallworth.

Stallworth, however, broke his foot in the preseason and is expected to return after the Ravens' bye week in late October.

Houshmandzadeh, the Seahawks' leading receiver last season, signed a $40 million, five-year deal with Seattle before the 2009 season. But he came to Seattle under a different regime with Jim Mora as coach and Tim Ruskell the general manager. Both Mora and Ruskell were gone after Seattle went 5-11 last season and replaced by new coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider.

Last season, Houshmandzadeh caught 79 passes for 911 yards and three touchdowns, his fewest receptions since 2005 and his fewest touchdowns since 2002.

"He's another proven weapon for our offense -- a big receiver with good hands and toughness. The one other thing that every coach and player we talked with about him indicated is that T.J. is a driven player with an excellent work ethic," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said in a statement.

Clayton, Baltimore's 2005 first-round pick (22nd overall), leaves with a franchise-record nine 100-yard receiving games.

"Mark is a good person who did everything he could to help the Ravens on and off the field," Newsome said. "In the end, we have to do what we think is best for the team, but letting Mark go hurts. He was first class all the way, even when we met with him about the trade. This is a tough part of the business."

BuckeyeRidley
09-06-2010, 07:37 PM
This will be fun to see happen; He could be used at the same time as Anquan Boldin to give some trouble to folks like Revis. I think it'll work out but I do notice the deal is only for one year. Again, it'll be a fun watch!

KabaModernFan
09-06-2010, 08:30 PM
The best part will be Seattle footing about a $6 Million bill.

Ozzie Newsome: "Ok, we'll give you a late round draft pick and you give us Josh Wilson, one of your starting corners. While you're at it, why don't you release the only reliable WR on your roster. Then we'll sign him and you still get to pay him $6,000,000. Deal?"

John Schneider: "Deal."

I like to imagine that's how it happened.

Bunghole
09-06-2010, 09:14 PM
I predict TJ will fade pretty fast. His style of play (absorbing big hits over the middle) and the fact that injuries are starting to catch him doesn't bode well for his future. At least the Seahawks are paying him bank to NOT play for them. The Ravens might benefit from this signing in the short term due to Boldin and Heaps's injury issues and Mason's age. Maybe he will flourish there with a QB that is more likely to dump off passes than throw it deep.

Ravens defense is a big question mark, though. If the offense is going to be required to score a lot of points to win games, I'd be worried if I were Ravens fan.

StarvinMarvin
09-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I predict TJ will fade pretty fast. His style of play (absorbing big hits over the middle) and the fact that injuries are starting to catch him doesn't bode well for his future. At least the Seahawks are paying him bank to NOT play for them. The Ravens might benefit from this signing in the short term due to Boldin and Heaps's injury issues and Mason's age. Maybe he will flourish there with a QB that is more likely to dump off passes than throw it deep.

Ravens defense is a big question mark, though. If the offense is going to be required to score a lot of points to win games, I'd be worried if I were Ravens fan.

Honestly, I got more concerned this morning when the news of the signing broke. It's pretty fair to assume Housh will still be around in wk. 2 so as a Bengal fan, the D's job just got a little harder. It still comes down to the Birds secondary tho and an improved Bengals passing attack. I guess we'll find out soon enough, but this is gonna be a season to remember however things turn out in the AFCN.

Docta
09-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Pro Bowl WR to a #3 WR on a run-first team..

KabaModernFan
09-06-2010, 09:51 PM

Since when did the defense become a question mark? This front seven is one of the best in the league. The secondary isn't going to be as bad as everyone makes it out to be either. Washington and Webb have progressed ahead of schedule and now that they're healthy they bolster the unit significantly, not to mention Josh Wilson' arrival.

bluestree
09-07-2010, 01:00 AM
I guess if/when Boldin can't go he could be effective. Otherwise, they have guys on the roster that do what he does. They need a guy to stretch it. If he's an upgrade from Clayton, it's a one year deal on the cheap so it can't hurt, can it? Locker room wise he has a rep. The Ravens have that veteran leadership, so no problem likely there. He could be good depth. I'll bet he's happy to be seeing the Bengals twice a year.

Mor
09-07-2010, 03:57 AM
TJ is a big enough upgrade over Clayton so I can see why this move was made. While Clayton is younger his injury concerns have hampered his ability to stay on the field. The one thing Clayton had problems with is the one thing that TJ excels at, catching the ball over the middle in traffic.

It is odd though, while I dislike Chad Johnson, TJ was the one Bengal receiver that always scared me with his play on the field. He seemed to always make catches no matter what we did vs him. Now, I will be cheering for him to do just that for the Ravens.

Bunghole
09-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Since when did the defense become a question mark? This front seven is one of the best in the league. The secondary isn't going to be as bad as everyone makes it out to be either. Washington and Webb have progressed ahead of schedule and now that they're healthy they bolster the unit significantly, not to mention Josh Wilson' arrival.

Well, lets see...Ray Lewis is getting pretty up there in years...Ed Reed will be out for awhile, and he's the best player on that defense...no CB's of quality...no Sergio Kindle...I don't know why I would be concerned either!

KabaModernFan
09-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Well, lets see...Ray Lewis is getting pretty up there in years...Ed Reed will be out for awhile, and he's the best player on that defense...no CB's of quality...no Sergio Kindle...I don't know why I would be concerned either!

Yes because those are obviously the only good players on this team. Haloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, Jarett Johnson, Kelly Gregg, and Dawan Landry don't exist apparently. Josh Wilson, Fabian Washington, and Ladarius Webb are all quality corners. Sergio Kindle is coming back in a month, Ed Reed will be back not long after that. And that Ray Lewis guy? Yeah he might be the best MLB of all-time, people have been saying he's been getting up there in years for years now. Here's a hint, next time actually do some research before you make yourself look like an ass.

Bunghole
09-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Yes because those are obviously the only good players on this team. Haloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, Jarett Johnson, Kelly Gregg, and Dawan Landry don't exist apparently. Josh Wilson, Fabian Washington, and Ladarius Webb are all quality corners. Sergio Kindle is coming back in a month, Ed Reed will be back not long after that. And that Ray Lewis guy? Yeah he might be the best MLB of all-time, people have been saying he's been getting up there in years for years now. Here's a hint, next time actually do some research before you make yourself look like an ass.

Wow, are personal insults a common thing amongst Ravens fans, or what? I'm not being an ass, I'm making observations about a team that plays in the division of my favorite team. C'mon, you cannot be this positive about your defense. Your secondary is going to be a huge liability at least early in the season. Not having Reed patrolling back there is bad enough, being without the services of two of your top CB's is yet another. Your front seven is good...no doubt. But they are going to have to be careful what they wish for when they try to run some of those exotic blitzes that they like to use, because they will not have the same quality secondary behind them that are going to be able to be left on an island when the front seven brings the house.

I'm not too worried about the Ravens anyway, so there's no need for the hostility. Carson Palmer has their number. 8-3 against them speaks for itself.

Cheers.

KabaModernFan
09-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Wow, are personal insults a common thing amongst Ravens fans, or what? I'm not being an ass, I'm making observations about a team that plays in the division of my favorite team. C'mon, you cannot be this positive about your defense. Your secondary is going to be a huge liability at least early in the season. Not having Reed patrolling back there is bad enough, being without the services of two of your top CB's is yet another. Your front seven is good...no doubt. But they are going to have to be careful what they wish for when they try to run some of those exotic blitzes that they like to use, because they will not have the same quality secondary behind them that are going to be able to be left on an island when the front seven brings the house.

I'm not too worried about the Ravens anyway, so there's no need for the hostility. Carson Palmer has their number. 8-3 against them speaks for itself.

Cheers.

Yes actually, but my apologies anyway. I keep forgetting that most people on here still aren't familiar with me. I don't think you're an ass, you just came off somewhat ass-ish...if that's a word. I am concerned about the secondary, but I believe that if Webb and Washington are as healthy as we're being led to believe, then the secondary will still be at least average. Landry and Zbikowksi at safety does help things, along with Josh Wilson. I'm still upset that Foxworth is on IR though, he really came on at the end of last season. This front seven though has the potential to be the best in the league. Lewis, Suggs, and Ngata are all potential All-Pros. Jarret Johnson is one of the more underrated LBs in the league. Gregg and Pryce may be getting older but they still know how to get things done, especially when surrounded by the talent around them. Dannell Ellerbe is another promising young LB that should probably start, and he can only get better. Not to mention rotation guys such as Cory Redding, Terrence Cody, Jameel McClain, Tavares Gooden, and Sergio Kindle when he returns.

It's all a matter of whether or not this secondary can hold it together until Reed returns, because when he does this instantly becomes a top defense again.

Wordsworth
09-07-2010, 05:45 PM
I wonder what this means for Derrick Mason's dwindling value. A guy that has had eight 1000yd seasons in the last nine years has suddenly found himself maybe not having a flanker job anymore and playing out of the slot. I don't know how Cameron will elect to use his veteran receivers but I have to think one of the two of Mason and Housh are going to find themselves on the outside looking in.

Bunghole
09-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Baltimore is now loaded with possession receivers. Who is going to stretch the field for them? I don't see them having anybody in that role.

Bengals1181
09-07-2010, 09:51 PM

x2

While Baltimore may be more talented than the Steelers, for the Bengals, the division goes through pissburgh, not the ravens.

Not trying to start stuff, its just the truth. The Ravens don't scare the Bengals at all.

KabaModernFan
09-07-2010, 10:25 PM
x2

While Baltimore may be more talented than the Steelers, for the Bengals, the division goes through pissburgh, not the ravens.

Not trying to start stuff, its just the truth. The Ravens don't scare the Bengals at all.

Technically shouldn't the road run through Cincy until further notice?

Bengals1181
09-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Technically shouldn't the road run through Cincy until further notice?

the road to a repeat obviously. If we're speaking technically, no the Bengals can't go through themselves.

bluestree
09-08-2010, 12:01 AM
TJ's still talking smack about getting let out of Seattle. That just bugs me, like get over it. It was not a good team you were on last year, you didn't scare anybody, so STFU and get with your new team. In my opinion, he's lucky to get on with a team as good as the Ravens. Don't tell me, show me.

Bunghole
09-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Keep talking TJ. And please remember to invoke references to this mythical defense the Ravens possess.

KabaModernFan
09-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Keep talking TJ. And please remember to invoke references to this mythical defense the Ravens possess.

You know, I don't go into the Bungles forum and take weak shots at your team.

SpartaChris
09-08-2010, 08:56 PM
I honestly though Minny was going to take him.

Bengals1181
09-08-2010, 09:09 PM
You know, I don't go into the Bungles forum and take weak shots at your team.

lol well done. You accuse him of being a dick, then you purposely edit your post to prove that in fact, you're the dick in the conversation.

KabaModernFan
09-08-2010, 10:03 PM
lol well done. You accuse him of being a dick, then edit your post to prove that in fact, you're the dick in the conversation.

I know I'm a dick, deal with that too. I don't like you and you don't like me, I don't see how I can make that any clearer.

Colts01
09-08-2010, 10:07 PM
I know I'm a dick, deal with that too. I don't like you and you don't like me, I don't see how I can make that any clearer.

We can all hate each other equally but please do so minus the curse words.

KabaModernFan
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
We can all hate each other equally but please do so minus the curse words.

Yeah well...he started it. </6-year old's reasoning>

brauneyz
09-08-2010, 10:13 PM
This must be the pre-season's final bloodletting. Will tomorrow never arrive?

Wordsworth
09-08-2010, 10:26 PM
This is a football discussion forum, not a place for rival fans to air out their dirty laundry.

KabaModernFan
09-08-2010, 10:31 PM
This is a football discussion forum, not a place for rival fans to air out their dirty laundry.

I don't have any dirty laundry, I'm not the one provoking people into arguments.

Bengals1181
09-08-2010, 11:36 PM

lol all well and good. I never doubted that for a second. Seems like you're the only one in here though that can't control their emotions.

Maybe that 6-year-old commment isn't too far off.

Bengals1181
09-08-2010, 11:38 PM
I don't have any dirty laundry, I'm not the one provoking people into arguments.

no one's provoking anything. Willy offered an honest assessment of your defense and you had a temper tantrum. Get over it.

brauneyz
09-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Hey guys, let's self moderate, eh? Cris and Andy have bigger things on their plates this evening than schoolyard brawls. I recommend tuning in to INFL and watching Sapp dance with the beautiful Croatian chick while CC pleads undying loyalty to Holly. :p

Bunghole
09-08-2010, 11:53 PM
I recommend more smack talking about the uproar over the Ravens in the popular sports media...

Wordsworth
09-09-2010, 05:36 PM
I recommend we all sit around with a cheese platter and a nice bottle of cabernet sauvignon and discuss a good book. Perhaps next to a fire? Maybe a bear skin rug on the floor? *bats eyes at brauneyz*

brauneyz
09-09-2010, 06:33 PM
I recommend we all sit around with a cheese platter and a nice bottle of cabernet sauvignon and discuss a good book. Perhaps next to a fire? Maybe a bear skin rug on the floor? *bats eyes at brauneyz*

That's definitely a step up from the guy in the chat room who said I remind him of a lumberjack.

FessJL0861
09-09-2010, 06:53 PM
That's definitely a step up from the guy in the chat room who said I remind him of a lumberjack.

Oh for cryin' out loud, I said the Brawney-Z moniker made your screen name sound like a lumberjack named Zeke. I blame Andy for any feet that may have been placed in any mouths.:p

FessJL0861
09-09-2010, 06:57 PM
a cheese platter and a nice bottle of cabernet sauvignon and discuss a good book

Bluestree made a great post in Clems recipe thread for French grocery bag fish. It is said that upon completion, the man who cooks it looks like a cross between McGuyver and Emeril.

Now as far as the original post is concerned, the Ravens locker room is way too veteran to be poisoned by a bad influence. No way Housh stirs up any trouble there. Also, I think the pick up is a bit overrated, because I think his best days may be past him. He's not done by any stretch, but no more Pro Bowls for TJ.

Wordsworth
09-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I agree with your sentiment, Fess. Housh cannot poison a locker room with that much veteran presence. No way.

Also is this the first anyone else is hearing about Housh being some sort of team cancer? I've never understood him to be that kind of guy, but I live down in Houston and his antics are not on the radar of any news networks here.

Bunghole
09-10-2010, 08:16 PM
I agree with your sentiment, Fess. Housh cannot poison a locker room with that much veteran presence. No way.

Also is this the first anyone else is hearing about Housh being some sort of team cancer? I've never understood him to be that kind of guy, but I live down in Houston and his antics are not on the radar of any news networks here.

Its an opinion that some Bengals fans hold, I'm not sure about the veracity of that claim. I liked Housh when he played for Cincinnati. He was a great story, a 7th round pick that overcame a lot of injuries and adversity early in his career, played tough and fiery, really emotional on the field. I think he was kind of whiny sometimes, seemingly constantly calling for PI flags on every incompletion that came his way, but I certainly liked him, especially since the Steelers fans hated him so much over the whole "shining his shoes with the sacred terrible towel" deal.

Bengals1181
09-10-2010, 09:22 PM
interesting comment by Chad tonight in an interview, saying that when he and TJ were younger they cared more about personal stats than team success. Not a shocker, but nice to see him admit it and acknowledge that he's matured. Is TJ still in that mindset?

FessJL0861
09-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Really, I never heard that either Words. It is good to hear the real deal from some Bengals people, but I never would have thought that. He seemed pretty humble in his interviews, and honestly, I just never saw it. Good to see there isn't much truth to it though.

Bengals1181
09-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Really, I never heard that either Words. It is good to hear the real deal from some Bengals people, but I never would have thought that. He seemed pretty humble in his interviews, and honestly, I just never saw it. Good to see there isn't much truth to it though.

TJ's always been a fiery guy. While I always liked his passion, pretty muich every time he didn't catch a pass he complained, usually to the refs.

Further, Chad is night and day different than when TJ was here. TJ was his enabler. That doesn't excuse Chad, but its hard not to see that TJ was a bad influence on him.

The Bengals locker room chemistry was at an all time high last year, and TJ being goine was a part of it. He's not a bad dude, but now guys like Carson, Whit, Bobbie, Peko, Dhani and Crocker run the locker room, not Chad and TJ.

Bunghole
09-11-2010, 07:05 PM
TJ's always been a fiery guy. While I always liked his passion, pretty muich every time he didn't catch a pass he complained, usually to the refs.

Further, Chad is night and day different than when TJ was here. TJ was his enabler. That doesn't excuse Chad, but its hard not to see that TJ was a bad influence on him.

The Bengals locker room chemistry was at an all time high last year, and TJ being goine was a part of it. He's not a bad dude, but now guys like Carson, Whit, Bobbie, Peko, Dhani and Crocker run the locker room, not Chad and TJ.

Dhani Jones is a really classy guy. I just wish he was good at playing football.

Bengals1181
09-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Dhani Jones is a really classy guy. I just wish he was good at playing football.

he is good at playing football. I just wish he was faster.

Wordsworth
09-12-2010, 12:59 AM
I wish he had an 'a' between the 'd' and 'h' since everyone pronounces it "da-HAN-ee"

Bunghole
09-12-2010, 07:46 AM
I think he'd look really spiffy in a bowtie. He should try wearing one sometime.

FessJL0861
09-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I think he'd look really spiffy in a bowtie. He should try wearing one sometime.

That was random. I am a big fan of random. Bow ties are underrated in general. Love me a bow tie.