PDA

View Full Version : Remembering 9/11

SpartaChris
09-11-2010, 04:36 AM
Wanted to take a moment to remember those who both lost and gave their lives in that horrible tragedy.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/spartachris/other/IwoFirefighters-large.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOJ4HwqPV_w&feature=player_embedded

Polishguy00
09-11-2010, 08:36 AM
I have family on Long Island. I was acquaintances with three fine people that died that day and had no idea where my uncle was for a day and a half. It is going to be weird flying out to Vegas today.

Thanks to all those helped that day and all our servicemen.

As Senior Manager, I was doing the schedule that week for the Morrill Tower residence hall service desk at Ohio State that day. I listened to the whole thing on Stern. Honestly, his coverage was great.

SpartaChris
09-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Here's what I wrote on my blog:

If there could be one positive to come out of the tragedy that befell us on September 11, 2001, it’s that for a short time in a long time, America was united as one. United we stood as we showed the world that the acts of a few cowardly men would not break our spirit or our resolve.

Let us never forget those who lost their lives in that horrible tragedy. Let us remember the heroes who gave their lives as they performed their final act of service. Let us celebrate the greatness that is America and our ability to overcome adversity and triumph.

Never forget.

StarvinMarvin
09-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Well stated Chris.

SpartaChris
09-11-2010, 11:11 AM
I have family on Long Island. I was acquaintances with three fine people that died that day and had no idea where my uncle was for a day and a half. It is going to be weird flying out to Vegas today.

Thanks to all those helped that day and all our servicemen.

As Senior Manager, I was doing the schedule that week for the Morrill Tower residence hall service desk at Ohio State that day. I listened to the whole thing on Stern. Honestly, his coverage was great.

Sorry to hear about your loss. What became of your uncle?

I still get shaken up when I watch videos and see photos of the events that went down on that day. And it still angers me. Part of me thinks it always will.

SpartaChris
09-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Well stated Chris.

Thanks. I was wired last night, as if you couldn't tell from the 1:36 am PST time stamp.

FessJL0861
09-11-2010, 11:19 AM
After a few days of balling my fists, standing by on my gear to leave out with the rest of my USMC brethren, and generally wanting retribution blood, I saw Tom Petty sing "Wont Back Down" live on that benefit. Almost brought a grown man to tears. Damn the people that did that. The wound is still fresh.

bluestree
09-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Great post, Chris. Thanks, bro.

TheLinc
09-11-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm wearing my Brett Favre wranglers to mark the occasion.

Polishguy00
09-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. What became of your uncle?

I still get shaken up when I watch videos and see photos of the events that went down on that day. And it still angers me. Part of me thinks it always will.

He ended up being fine as soon as he could finally get out of the city and all. My story is nothing. The story I will always remember are the ones I have gathered over time from visits to New York since then. For the benefit on TV, a bunch of us broke college kids got together and emptied our bank accounts that night. In my case, that meant $60, but hey, we wanted to do anything we could.

StarvinMarvin
09-11-2010, 03:44 PM
9/11 is one of those events that, when you live through it, you will remember everything about that day. Where you were, what you were doing, emotions... I've lived through both Kennedy assassinations, MLK, the moon landing... and to bring it back to football, the Namath guarentee. My wish, for those of you that still have many years to go, is you have few of such memories, except happy ones.

Pruitt
09-11-2010, 05:18 PM
My wife was in New York on business on that ****ty day, and my pregnant sister was working in the Capitol Building. The confusion and fear that I felt is something that I will never forget.

Thinking back, I remember that the most horrifying thing was that we were uncertain of what would happen next, and where it would happen.

Truly one of the worst days that I can remember - and that includes dark events within my family. Starvin Marvin sums it up perfectly: "My wish, for those of you that still have many years to go, is you have few of such memories, except happy ones."