PDA

View Full Version : My Packers mini-camp experience, do any of you guys go to trainingcamp, etc?

JesseFritsch
07-05-2010, 05:37 AM
My buddy and I went to Packers practice a couple weeks ago, it's our summer tradition. Had a great time. As usual the Packer faithful showed up in good numbers, but not nearly as many that show up for August training camp. It was a beautiful day, friendly and happy fans were everywhere decked out in gear. Perfect day.

It's always nice seeing the rookies for the first time. Andrew Quarless, our middle round TE really looked the part. I don't think he's as gifted as Jermichael Finley, but they're in the same mold, long, athletic, have great mittens. He made some very nice catches, including one in the end zone with one hand in traffic that got a round of applause. Bryan Bulaga looked his age with all the big veteran grizzlies around him. He took 2nd team snaps at LT, doesn't look like he's going to get any play inside this year or in the future, he's the LT of 2011, he's locked in. Marshall Newhouse looks surprisingly slim, he has tiny TE calves, it was pretty funny. Josh Sitton continues to grow out his hair, it looks ridiculous, more on him later.

Donald Driver was walking around (didn't practice), slapping his buddies on the butts with a smile on his face, you can just tell that all his teammates love him, especially Greg Jennings, we're lucky to have him. Greg Jennings looked tiny without pads, he didn't look like his 198 pound listing, I'd be willing to bet he's 187ish. Jordy Nelson did a lot of special teams work, it seems like he's going to be stuck in the same role again this year. The staff seems to think he's showing improvement, he looked extremely focused and got viably and audibly angry when a ball went past him, he clearly wants more PT this year, badly. It was really nice to see Cliffy and Tauscher together, it seems like those two have been here forever, both looked fresh and moved well.

I didn't get to see much of the defensive line in practice, they were off at the other sideline for the most part. B.J. Raji looked like he was in playing shape, I expected him to have weight problems but he seems to be able to keep himself in check which is a relief. The biggest surprise was seeing Justin Harrell (back from the dead) taking 1st team reps in place of Johnny Jolly who's figuring out his legal issues in Texas. Harrell looked like his usual self, gigantic in every sense of the word, he looked pretty good, he's taking first team reps for a reason, hopefully he can stay healthy.

Ryan Grant was his usual self, jabbering to fans and being friendly. He was the only player that communicated with fans.

One of my favorite parts of practice ending is when the players leave. Most of them jet into their cars in groups and drive back to the stadium for meetings. My buddy and I walked around the practice field and headed for Lambeau and we noticed a Packer player walking down the street in his practice jersey while holding his helmet. We kind of sped up (street was pretty empty) and we walked right behind him all the way to the stadium. It was backup LB, and likely cut, Frank Zombo. We were like 3 feet behind the guy, he was completely brown from practicing out in the sun and was literally dripping wet in sweat. We decided not to bother him because he was talking with someone, but it was pretty cool walking up the street with a Packer.

Then we moved up to the Packers player parking lot. We stood around for a few minutes and waited and soon enough big heavy duty trucks came rolling in. Of course it was the offensive linemen. No fans were around so we were just standing in the parking lot as the players came driving in no more than 10 feet in front of us. These guys literally were FLYING through the lot going 40/50MPH. Breno Giacomini drove in with a bunch of guys, then we walked out and this huge white truck came barreling through the lot, I quick moved out of the way and it flashed past me and turned back, it was Josh Sitton, he almost hit me in his truck. It was crazy.

It's pretty funny how all the offensive linemen drive these gigantic 4-door trucks, all the DB's drive sleek black Benz's, Lexus, etc. Also, I didn't get a picture but Nick Barnett drives possibility the craziest truck I've ever seen in my life. It's gigantic, red, and it has 3 rows of double tires which are each like 2 feet wide. It was unbelievable, he just parked right in front covering multiple parking spaces. The big wigs like Barnett park in front and have a sign. I really wish I got a picture of it, it was just unreal. The last car to arrive was a pickup truck with three rookies sitting in the back of it with their feet hanging off the back like Mexican laborers. I said hello and waved, they kind of just gave me sad looks, one of them, Jeff Moturi waved back and said hi.

The players weaved through the lot and walked into the doors. I yelled to Jordy Nelson, 'We love you Jordy!" and he actually waved back with a smile. Quinn Johnson didn't even respond. Two girls wearing Aaron Rodgers jerseys were waiting at the gate with us, Rodgers just gave us a wave, and I yelled at him, 'Aaron can we get an autograph', he just kept walking, the two girls were bummed.

All the players were gone so we went into the pro-shop and bought some things (Got my girlfriend a key chain with her name on it). I got a wicked sun burn. Great time. I took some pictures.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs158.snc4/37222_523688518933_208200856_31334692_3704170_n.jp g
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs078.ash2/37222_523688708553_208200856_31334727_2742311_n.jp g
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs078.ash2/37222_523688768433_208200856_31334730_1805949_n.jp g
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs158.snc4/37222_523688788393_208200856_31334732_2598730_n.jp g

All these pics, and many more were snapped with my fuzzy Blackberry unfortunately. I'm going to bring my new digital camera to training camp later this month. Just wondering if any of the Packers fans that post here make it up to practices? I can't wait for training camp and to see the guys in pads.

FessJL0861
07-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Not bad for a Blackberry. That was a fantastic post man. Just fantastic...

birdm53
07-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Yea good pics buddy, I have been to camp before but I now live in Milwaukee so its tough to get up there in the summer. Still go to at least 4 games a season though!

FessJL0861
07-26-2010, 04:57 PM
I want to try to make it up to camp next year, should be a blast.