PDA

View Full Version : Donald Lee okay with passing the torch, other notes, camp 29 days away!

JesseFritsch
07-05-2010, 05:03 AM
TE Donald Lee seems OK with taking a backseat to Jermichael Finley and returning to the special teams. “I’m here to help this team win games and make it better. That’s how I got my name, came in to the league playing special teams. I’m fortunate enough to be a starter for a couple of years and now it seems like I am passing the torch. So it is J-Mike’s time and I am happy for him and I am willing to back him up and stay in his corner to help him succeed. By doing that, they want me to play more special teams. Now my goal is to be one of the key guys on special teams, one of the best players there. I will continue to work and whatever they ask me to do I will do.”

Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin on Lee in lesser role: "I don't know, we haven't really talked to him about it. I'm sure him being a competitor, he would like better numbers - whatever they were last year. He looks great, he's had a good offseason, he's working hard. I'm sure in his mind he's going to re-establish himself."

OL Bryan Bulaga said it has been strange to see the 3-4 defense every day. “Yeah. Well, it’s gotten better. But in college you see it maybe three times maybe my whole entire college career. Minnesota showed it to us a little bit. Ohio State has a couple variations of it. So yeah it was different getting adjusted to it, the different personnel groups that come in and the blitzing packages and third and long packages.”

RB Brandon Jackson said coach Mike McCarthy’s OTA schedule, with an extended break in between, kept everyone energized. “I feel great. He did a better job in spacing out the time. He put a lot of rest and recovery in to our OTAs which is letting us stay around. From last year to this year participation in OTAs went up.”

And finally, the offseason was productive for the Packers, but they won't be able to make real evaluations until camp. Said Philbin: "You like to see how they move around, see if they can pick up the system, see if they're in tune with a line call or a blocking scheme adjustment or a blitz that happens fast, what they do in the middle of that play, can they pick up a twist. So there's a lot you can gather from these practices. Is it everything? No, you can't make a total evaluation."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

Donald Lee has always been a class act in Green Bay not only on the field but with his work with the salvation army. Even though he's far from a perfect player, I like him on the roster and I hope he finds a way on it, there's always the possibility of us keeping 4 TE's, but it's likely to going to be Spencer Havner proving he's back from his shoulder injury. I think he's the likely cut, we'll see.

But back to Donald Lee, one thing you have to give him credit for is his dedication to the team concept in a cut-throat 'what have you done tomorrow' obsessed league. He's always in absolutely ridiculous, Donald Driver-esque physical shape, and seems to be a hard working, positive presence. I think he makes the roster because of his special teams history/production, and because he's proven to be a capable blocker which Finley/Quarless haven't proven.

I saw Andrew Quarless doing a lot of special teams work in practices last month so I think we'll see plenty of Donald Lee in our 2-TE sets. I think Quarless could eventually steal snaps if Joe thinks he's ready to play. It looks like we have fantastic depth at TE, which is strangely something all our division rivals also have in common.

bluestree
07-05-2010, 05:03 PM
DLee has been saying all the right things so I think he's cool with it. Nobody wants to lose his job, but he knows JerMike is special and with all the packages, he can still get on the field. He says he'll be happy to contribute on special teams. That's a guy you wanna keep. Havner might stick because he's a reserve linebacker and special teamer. But Corey or Kuhn is gone.

atnelson928
07-05-2010, 11:06 PM
It will be interesting to see if Finley's blocking has improved his offseason. Depending on the success Quarless has in camp, we might need to keep Lee active and in a lot of sub packages simply for his blocking.

JesseFritsch
07-06-2010, 01:47 AM
Depending on the success Quarless has in camp.

He looked very good in mini-camp, very good. He just looks like a guy that will be hard to keep off the field for stretches of time. I look at him and see a slightly thicker Jermichael Finley. Quarless is just huge and catching everything. Hopefully he shows well in training camp.

FessJL0861
07-06-2010, 05:34 PM
It is hard to cut a very smart knowledgeable veteran presence in that position, but hopefully he can earn his way there.

bluestree
07-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Agreed, even with last year's drops, DLee is a steady pro and a leader. But imagine if AQ is the real deal, lining up him and JerMike in a four receiver set. Whoa, holy Keith Jackson! Apparently AQ was never given a shot at Penn St. because of off field issues. Hopefully he's learned his lesson. He has the makings of a beast!

FessJL0861
07-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Chmura aside, Green Bay is a hard place to find off field issues, so yeah lets definitely hope he has grown. Talk about a pair of safety valves!

bluestree
07-09-2010, 02:45 PM
You just gotta love the group of kids they're putting together. I'm very positive about short and long term sucess. And I like the brick by brick approach. 1st year-replace Brett. 2nd year-make the playoffs 3rd year-the skies the limit, baby!

theeraser21
07-09-2010, 03:02 PM
@JesseFritsch

The game is a lot different when they take off the shorts and put pads on

bluestree
07-09-2010, 03:33 PM
@JesseFritsch

The game is a lot different when they take off the shorts and put pads on

For true, brother, for true.

GBPKS
07-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Chmura aside, Green Bay is a hard place to find off field issues, so yeah lets definitely hope he has grown. Talk about a pair of safety valves!

Somebody tell that to Johnny Jolly and Brandon Underwood...

FessJL0861
07-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Somebody tell that to Johnny Jolly and Brandon Underwood...

ouch. touche` 1 point awarded to GBPKS---

bluestree
07-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Johnny Jolly got in trouble in Houston. Anybody see the ESPN Outside the Lines peice about purple drank? When I read Jolly got in trouble outside a club I got a mental image.....boy was I wrong. This "club" was a total ****hole! Clearly he was running with some lowlifes. "Keepin' it real" my ass. And technically Underwood was in the Dells or something, wasn't he? So Fess was r-r-r-r-not wrong. Still raining in Kentucky?

Wordsworth
07-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Haha why is it that everyone who comes to Houston ends up sippin purple sprite?

bluestree
07-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Haha why is it that everyone who comes to Houston ends up sippin purple sprite?

I don't know man, but the codeine puts a perspective on JaMarcus Russell's career, kind of like Delonte West and LeBron's mom. I'm not as pissed at LeBron, or as puzzled by JaMarcus.

BayouBoys
07-10-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't see how yall would get rid of Lee. Just seems foolish.

FessJL0861
07-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Johnny Jolly got in trouble in Houston. Anybody see the ESPN Outside the Lines peice about purple drank? When I read Jolly got in trouble outside a club I got a mental image.....boy was I wrong. This "club" was a total ****hole! Clearly he was running with some lowlifes. "Keepin' it real" my ass. And technically Underwood was in the Dells or something, wasn't he? So Fess was r-r-r-r-not wrong. Still raining in Kentucky?

I'm 5 days late, but yeah some rain tonight thank god. Its too dry man, it's killing my vegetables.

Back on topic, Jolly could get in trouble at a preschool in Alaska for Christsakes. That guy... yeah, keepin' it real