PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant- Star? Starter? 3rd receiver?

cowboys28
07-05-2010, 11:32 AM
As a longtime Cowboys fan, I find it comical the reports coming out of Valley Ranch that Roy Williams is looking really good this summer and that he has had a "great offseason." We heard all about the same stuff last year; how he was working with Romo to get their timing down, getting in better shape, etc. I understand the importance of this, but I just think Jerry is covering up the fact that he made a big time financial mistake.

With that being said, I think Dez Bryant takes over Roy's starting position by Week 5, the game against the Titans and after the bye week. He just seems too talented to be kept off the field (obviously he will be on the field in 3 and 4 receiver sets, too.)

The only way I see Williams still getting significant playing time after Dez surpasses him would be if we do what we say we are going to do and utilize Austin a lot more in the slot. We also can't forget about Kevin Ogletree and his development. Either way, I think Bryant becomes the number 2 receiver by week five, becomes a star player, and pushes Roy Williams closer and closer to Reggie Williams status. Thoughts?

DannyMilk
07-05-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm not 100% on the Cowboys complete corps of receivers, and I know the "money issue" that's involved, but I think you're probably right on with this one. Bryant is one of the few players I really see being a starter AND contributing, fantasy wise and in real life. <entering Wilbon mode...>ROY WILLIAMS IS A CLOWN...he's a disgrace...more talent, less heart=not on my team.

Now, having said ALLLLLLLL of that, I'm not Jerry Jones, and no one can sway Jerry Jones, which, who knows, may be the biggest hinderance of the Dez Dispenser (just came up with it, all royalties if it catches on as I haven't heard it before haha) getting the bump ahead of Williams on the depth chart.

Wordsworth
07-05-2010, 04:11 PM
I said in another thread that I think Dez could even take over by week 3 against Houston if Roy stumbles out of the gate and the offense is having trouble getting downfield as a result of his play. If not, then I agree that week 5 would be the next spot to promote him after the bye. I have no confidence in Roy Williams as he has continually disappointed as a professional. You know he has never had a 1000-yard season? I loved him at UT but ever since he was drafted he has fallen short of his expectations. It's time to cut bait on another troublesome receiver and move on with the young guys.

TommyBry
07-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Roy Williams is in the off season Hall of Fame

GBPKS
07-06-2010, 12:36 PM
It's hard for a rookie WR to come in and make a major impact. I think Dez Bryant will have his moments but he won't be a dominant factor this season. Luckily, with Miles Austin-Kardashian and Jason Witten, the Cowboys don't really need him to be. I'll be very interested to see how the Cowboys do this year under the weight of big expectations - the Super Bowl being played in their home stadium - everybody talking about them in the Super Bowl... we'll see.

Dave Lapham
07-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Underwear ball ( no helmets and shoulder pads) can be deceiving. There is no doubt that Dez Bryant is a freak of nature physically. He is the type of athlete that is open when he is covered because his immense size/speed/skill ratio allow him to make contested catches. The fly in his oitment will be making proper reads and sight adjustments. He must be on the same page as Romo or it will be open up a new can of QB.If he is where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there for Tony Romo his impact will be huge. It will be more of a mental challenge than physical one for Dez Bryant.

cowboys28
07-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Dave,

I think that the mental aspect of playing receiver in the NFL is something that people often times underestimate, myself included. Do you believe that Bryant will be able to get that down in his rookie year from what you know/read/have heard? I know they are trying to keep him on the outside (and Austin in the slot) because the routes will be apparently easier to get down. I just think even if he struggles somewhat with the mental challenge that his physical gifts will command playing time and propel him to stardom sooner rather than later. I could be very wrong, though.