PDA

View Full Version : A question for chris.

robthemany
07-05-2010, 12:37 PM
How do you prepare for a game. I always dreamed of being an announcer and just want to know how much you do before you even do the broadcast. Also I know there are stat guys in the booth with you. Between the producers and stats and things going on in your head. How chaotic does it get in the booth. Please I would just love to see behind the curtain abit. Maybe write a blog all season about life as a announcer. Thanks in advance.

Cris Collinsworth
07-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Hey robthemany. I start working on the next week's games on the way home from the game I just finished. It is not work. I watch football tapes, then record what I see so that our Producer and Director Fred Gaudelli and Drew Esocoff can hear and see my thoughts on the upcoming game. I read almost every article. Andy Freeland and I complete our computer touch screen boards that we use for the games, and then we travel to the game site to meet with the teams. Honestly, there is very little free time during the season. I am either on the road or in my basement working. My only regret is that I can't study every game played that weekend. I watch the Shortcuts on DirectTV to keep up with the other games. My only limiting factor is time. I wish I had the ability to sleep only in the off-season.

The booth is a constant flow of information and communication between the truck and the guys in the booth. The magic is how quickly I can communicate what I see to the truck or vice versa. Fred Gaudelli and Drew Esocoff are magical. Almost as fast as I tell them what I see, they have it on the screen. Fred has final say. If he sees something that he thinks is better than what I saw, he puts it up and I follow him. There is always a little give and take, and we all get mad on occassion, but for the most part it is a dream team. Al Michaels is the trigger man to the whole thing. We trust him set the tone and decide the direction. Too much football, too many personal stories, too many replays, whatever his gut is we follow. I have never worked with anyone like him.

ncoolong
07-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey robthemany. I start working on the next week's games on the way home from the game I just finished. It is not work. I watch football tapes, then record what I see so that our Producer and Director Fred Gaudelli and Drew Esocoff can hear and see my thoughts on the upcoming game. I read almost every article. Andy Freeland and I complete our computer touch screen boards that we use for the games, and then we travel to the game site to meet with the teams. Honestly, there is very little free time during the season. I am either on the road or in my basement working. My only regret is that I can't study every game played that weekend. I watch the Shortcuts on DirectTV to keep up with the other games. My only limiting factor is time. I wish I had the ability to sleep only in the off-season.

The booth is a constant flow of information and communication between the truck and the guys in the booth. The magic is how quickly I can communicate what I see to the truck or vice versa. Fred Gaudelli and Drew Esocoff are magical. Almost as fast as I tell them what I see, they have it on the screen. Fred has final say. If he sees something that he thinks is better than what I saw, he puts it up and I follow him. There is always a little give and take, and we all get mad on occassion, but for the most part it is a dream team. Al Michaels is the trigger man to the whole thing. We trust him set the tone and decide the direction. Too much football, too many personal stories, too many replays, whatever his gut is we follow. I have never worked with anyone like him.

Great information, Cris, thanks for sharing!

When you say you "read every article," do you have a particular writer, media or service you feel will give you exactly what you're looking for? Along those lines, let's say you're covering the Cowboys/Eagles game that coming week, and you see the Dallas Morning News breaks a big and negative story about a Cowboys player. How would you approach that in terms of your sit-downs with the Cowboys teams and players?

robthemany
07-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Thank you for your time and answer. I appreciate it.