PDA

View Full Version : Vincent Jackson

KabaModernFan
07-05-2010, 04:09 PM
How do you see this whole situation in San Diego playing out? Jackson's camp has said they're prepared to sit out the entire season if necessary, Chargers GM A.J. Smith is notorious for his hardball approach to his players and their contracts, and it doesn't look like either side is going to blink first. Do the Chargers give him a new contract with financial uncertainty, and a lockout looming? Do they keep him, but refuse to give him a long-term deal, forcing him to either sit out or sign his tender? Do they trade him, and if so what do they do to replace his production? (T.O. anyone?)

Wordsworth
07-05-2010, 05:26 PM
I understand that Vincent Jackson is worthy of an extension, but the way he is going about it is all wrong I think. Someone should advise him that even the greats Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, who you know will get new deals, have not been given contract extensions because of the unknown state of the CBA and the lack of a salary cap. It's why Jackson didn't get the deal he wanted in the first place. If they haven't been extended, you likely aren't going to be extended. It just requires a bit of patience on his part and his agent should advise him as such because the deal isn't gonna happen right now.

I don't imagine this will go on for the 10+ games he threatened simply because it would not make sense for him financially. Jackson doesn't make a whole lot of money, relatively speaking, and a 10-game holdout would subject him to a massive financial loss. I imagine that after his 3-game suspension he will be back on the field. It's similar to Chris Johnson in Tennessee's holdout situation. CJ only makes $550,000 this year, and a holdout would make him basically broke. It's just not going to happen. At least not in my opinion.

Cris Collinsworth
07-05-2010, 09:13 PM
It all makes sense now. Still too good to dump. He is like Larry Fitzgerald, he plays over the defense.

NickMykita
07-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Vincent Jackson is an amazing receiver, and he has the right to ask for a certain amount of money, but I applaud the Chargers for not giving in to his threats of a holdout. His recent 3-game suspension doesn't help his case, either. Should he get a raise? Sure. He's a valuable asset to a Chargers team that is rebuilding its running game and will have to rely mostly on the passing game. But, as others have said, with the state of the NFL shrouded in uncertainty, he can't ask for too much, because the Chargers (or any other team) aren't going to give it to him.

Cris Collinsworth
07-05-2010, 09:25 PM
It may be best for him to wait on collective bargaining deal anyway. If they install a rookie wage scale, vets could get more.

BuckeyeRidley
07-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Sup Kaba; Nice Post. I think that the Chargers need to keep Vincent. He's a guy who can help them in the long run and try to keep the team together. I fear the Chargers will under acheive this year and keeping as much consistency as possible can keep that at bay. Vincent himself needs to be in camp with a signed tender because I don't think A.J. Smith is going to budge anywhere near a new contract for him, on purpose or on accident. Vincent's suspensions coming up don't scare teams but it does damper the trade possibility for anyone interested. I say Jackson stays in San Diego, where the classy people are, and will realize that the Chargers are a team that can compete and grant him his money--just not now.