PDA

View Full Version : Albert Haynesworth bristles over deal

Colts01
09-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Associated Press:
WASHINGTON -- Albert Haynesworth said Saturday his $100 million contract doesn't make him a slave to the Washington Redskins.

In an interview with 106.7 The Fan, the two-time All-Pro defensive tackle said the big paychecks don't mean he can't push back when the team asks him to play a different position.

Haynesworth, who rarely speaks to the media, was upset this year when the Redskins switched to a 3-4 defense and told him he would be playing nose tackle.

Haynesworth protested by staying away from the team's offseason conditioning program and practices. He also skipped a mandatory minicamp and was unable to pass the team's conditioning test until the 10th day of training camp -- all despite receiving a $21 million bonus on April 1.

"I guess in this world we don't have a lot of people with, like, backbones," Haynesworth said. "Just because somebody pay you money don't mean they'll make you do whatever they want or whatever. I mean, does that mean everything is for sale?

"I mean, I'm not for sale. Yeah, I signed the contract and got paid a lot of money, but ... that don't mean I'm for sale or a slave or whatever."

Haynesworth said it was agreed that he would play defensive tackle in a 4-3 system when he signed with the Redskins in 2009, but the team has since overhauled its front office, coaching staff and offensive and defensive schemes. He said he now likes the new scheme better as he works with defensive coordinator Jim Haslett
Haynesworth made a passing reference to his disputes with coach Mike Shanahan, saying some things "went down with me and Mike," but he did not elaborate. He also said he doesn't like the spotlight and would rather be someone who can just "go to Wal-Mart and hang out."

Haynesworth implied he would be playing in Sunday's game against the St. Louis Rams. He was used as a backup in the season opener against Dallas and missed last week's game against Houston with a sprained ankle.

BuckeyeRidley
09-26-2010, 10:09 AM
This is Crazy Man! As a Proud Black Man, I don't think Haynesworth had to go there. I remember when Sapp pulled the slave card for his own reason around 2003. Doing what you are asked and taking it like a Man does not make you a Slave.

I see no connection to slaves in this situation or what Albert should be doing especially when many millions of dollars have been paid to him.

Bunghole
09-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Fat Albert says: "Just because somebody pay you money don't mean they'll make you do whatever they want or whatever..."

Um, yes Albert, yes it does mean that. Asking you to play a different position is a reasonable request from your employer. We all have things with our jobs that we don't like. Problem is, none of us makes as much money as you and most of us don't make a living playing a game. If that were the case, Left For Dead 2 could have made me a rich man!

And using a reference to the word "slave", knowing full well the racial implications that carries with it was a weak sauce move.

SpartaChris
09-26-2010, 11:31 AM
For as big as Haynesworth is, he's quite the little *****. And to try and play the race card just means this guy has nothing to defend his position, plus it's such a bush-league thing to do.

Seriously, Albert, lift your skirt, grab your balls, and start playing some football. Or quit. Either way, STFU already.

gkicker2
09-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Just another mess made by Daniel Snyder. When will he learn to stop building through free agency and focus on the draft?
Deion Sanders ring a bell? Jeff friggin George? or maybe Adam Archuleta?

Its time to add Haynesworth to that list.

Pruitt
09-27-2010, 03:56 PM
At least the Redskins are loaded with young talent at the skill positions so the future looks great in Landover.

gkicker2
09-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Who exactly do you consider "young talent"? Joey Gallaway? Donovan McNabb? Clinton Portis? Santana Moss? London Fletcher?

Pruitt
09-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Who exactly do you consider "young talent"? Joey Gallaway? Donovan McNabb? Clinton Portis? Santana Moss? London Fletcher?

In Canada, we call it "Sarcasm".

gkicker2
09-28-2010, 08:49 AM
In America, we make our sarcasm more obvious.

Pruitt
09-28-2010, 09:28 AM
In America, we make our sarcasm more obvious.

We Canadians are masters of subtlety...

gkicker2
09-28-2010, 11:52 AM
The difference between stupid and intelligent people - and this is true whether or not they are well-educated - is that intelligent people can handle subtlety.
Neal Stephenson

Maybe I am just a little callused over a loss to ... wait for it... the Rams. Or being a Redskins fan has brought me not to sadness, but stupidity.

Polishguy00
09-28-2010, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't say that. Watching a guy who used to be a running game guru try to do things with his Rent-A-Wreck backfield can drive anyone to a state of former sobriety or the nut house. Best wishes to your team until October 24, then we (The Bears) must break you.

Pruitt
09-28-2010, 01:07 PM
The difference between stupid and intelligent people - and this is true whether or not they are well-educated - is that intelligent people can handle subtlety.
Neal Stephenson

Maybe I am just a little callused over a loss to ... wait for it... the Rams. Or being a Redskins fan has brought me not to sadness, but stupidity.

I fully understand. In a less sarcastic vein, I'd have to say that any expectations for the Skins this year would have to be tempered by the knowledge that their roster looks like an All Pro team from 2005. At least you have a guy who knows football in charge these days. Believe me, I know how painful it can be watching your team when it's being run by second-raters.

gkicker2
09-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Best wishes to your team until October 24, then we (The Bears) must break you.

By my records, the Redskins don't play again until an Oct. 31 matchup with the Lions.. a chance to move to 2-2.

I am trying not to notice that their next 4 games are against teams with a combined 9-3 record.

gkicker2
09-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Believe me, I know how painful it can be watching your team when it's being run by second-raters.

Its a bad situation when you start looking forward to next year's draft after 3 games... multiple years in a row.

TheRealJosh
09-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Why is Shanahan picking on he and Devin Thomas? Most of my info I get from Barry Svlaga and other DC shows, but it seems like Shanny is making it personal against these guys instead of trying to succeed.

GoBigOrGoHome
09-30-2010, 06:40 AM
Shanahan is a control freak. Jake Plummer had some choice words about him last year. It was during an interview with Rome. Plummer said that Shanny should obsess less about everyone's form on the bench press and go fix the defense.

It was interesting to see a former player straight up blast his old coach like that.