PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 ... Bottom 5

Turk Schonert
10-05-2010, 12:06 PM
It's Tuesday, so its time for my top 10 - bottom 5 list. Last week saw a few upsets and some nail biting wins by good teams. We also saw some impressive blow out wins. This first 1/4 of the season has been quite interesting to say the least. Usually after 4 games you can start to see where teams are, and where they are heading, but with so many teams looking like Jeckyl & Hyde, it's hard to predict how it will all unfold.

TOP 10 WEEK #5
1. NY Jets - 3 straight division wins in convincing fashion
2. Pittsburgh - #1 defense and Ben comes back (went 3-1 with 3rd & 4th QB)
3. Baltimore - road wins at Jets & Steelers
4. Green Bay - still the best of the NFC but need to start playing better as a team
5. New England - scored 38-38-41 points in their wins, impressive road win at Miami
6. New Orleans - they've been unlucky (injuries) and lucky (SF) but need to play consistently better
7. Atlanta - finding ways to win, could easily be 1-3
8. Houston - most explosive offensive balance in league, pass defense is shaky
9. Kansas City - they are winning as a team and still the only team without a loss
10. San Diego - would be 4-0 if it weren't for their poor special teams coverage

BOTTOM 5
5. Oakland - can hang with mediocre teams only
4. San Francisco - offense didn't perform any better, self destruction has been a constant
3. Arizona - no QB, can they get Kurt to dance back into their locker room? Don't think so
2. Carolina - points were scarce with Steve Smith in the lineup
1. Buffalo - you can pencil them in this spot for the rest of the season. Where's the 'D'?

Mythology
10-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I'd take San Francisco out and put the Detroit Lions in its place. In fact, I'd argue that Carolina and Arizona could probably beat the Lions 3 or 4 times out of 5.

Turk Schonert
10-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I'd take San Francisco out and put the Detroit Lions in its place. In fact, I'd argue that Carolina and Arizona could probably beat the Lions 3 or 4 times out of 5.

The Lions have played 4 close games against 4 decent teams. They won the opener, but a stupid rule took the win away. Also, they are playing with their backup QB. They are not one of the worst 5 teams in the league right now IMO.

Mythology
10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
You're right. I think I'm overly-hating on the Lions due to frustration. The Rams are 2-2 and the Chiefs are 3-1, and the Lions still can't get a win.

GoBigOrGoHome
10-05-2010, 02:06 PM
1. Buffalo - you can pencil them in this spot for the rest of the season. Where's the 'D'?

Oh, don't worry, Turk. The 'D' is not far behind. The Lions are looking at a rough stretch if they can't wrangle in Sam Bradford and the Rams.

Swami
10-05-2010, 03:22 PM
As I downgrade my assessment of the Bills' prospects for the season, I smell a win this weekend due to the fishy line theory. Can't see why Jags are only favored by 1 1/2, and when a line seems really fishy, history shows you have to go the 'wrong' way. But 1-15 wouldn't shock me!

Amy
10-05-2010, 03:50 PM
You're right. I think I'm overly-hating on the Lions due to frustration. The Rams are 2-2 and the Chiefs are 3-1, and the Lions still can't get a win.

KC is 3-0 - they had a bye this weekend.

msclemons
10-05-2010, 11:03 PM
How in the heck are the 49ers favored by 3.5 over the Eagles? That line makes no sense whatsoever even taking into account the west coast skew in Vegas.

Also, I think I'd bump out San Diego for the Texans in the top 10. From what little I've seen the Chargers are playing without heart. Seeing KC in a top 10 list is giving me crazy '80s flashbacks. The team has game though.

Turk Schonert
10-05-2010, 11:13 PM
How in the heck are the 49ers favored by 3.5 over the Eagles? That line makes no sense whatsoever even taking into account the west coast skew in Vegas.

Also, I think I'd bump out San Diego for the Texans in the top 10. From what little I've seen the Chargers are playing without heart. Seeing KC in a top 10 list is giving me crazy '80s flashbacks. The team has game though.

Houston is in the top 10 and seeing KC on my top 10 list seems like a faux pas

msclemons
10-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Houston is in the top 10

Crap, all the gin has blinded me!

SpartaChris
10-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Crap, all the gin has blinded me!

That's not just because of the Gin!

ReaderM
10-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Honestly, i'm already getting ready to hear the words.. with the number 1 draft pick the Buffalo Bills take " Andrew Luck QB Sanford" and 10 mins later, with the number 2 draft pick, the Arizona Cardinals select " Jake Locklear QB Washington"

Bengals1181
10-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Honestly, i'm already getting ready to hear the words.. with the number 1 draft pick the Buffalo Bills take " Andrew Luck QB Sanford" and 10 mins later, with the number 2 draft pick, the Arizona Cardinals select " Jake Locklear QB Washington"

man, I hope Goodell doesn't butcher Locker's name that bad! :)

Personally, I think Locker's greatly overrated.

ReaderM
10-06-2010, 01:48 PM
man, I hope Goodell doesn't butcher Locker's name that bad! :)

Personally, I think Locker's greatly overrated.

He is greatly overrate but still won't stop a team from drafting him in the the top 10 most likely.. as for the name, i'm just going to claim I have an East Coast Bias (though I've watched almost as many Pac-10 games this years as ACC lol) and run away in shame lol

Turk Schonert
10-06-2010, 05:02 PM
With the recent trade of Randy Moss, where does New England fit in my top 10 (currently #5)?

Polishguy00
10-06-2010, 05:26 PM
With the recent trade of Randy Moss, where does New England fit in my top 10 (currently #5)?

I would not move them yet. Let's see how the offense reacts. I doubt anyone can stretch the field like Randy from the bench and I would worry about Welker getting his catches now, but I have to think that Brady and the Pats will still move the ball, which does not move them yet. In two weeks, though, with the questions on defense, they could be completely out of the top ten.

Bengals1181
10-06-2010, 09:11 PM

I'd drop them below the Saints, and possibly below the Texans, who I think should be above the Falcons.

Randy Moss will be a bigger blow than they think. It will change how defenses have to cover them. WIth Moss gone, the defenses #1 corner can move on to Welker or one of the TE's.

Their offense averaged 24 points per game with Moss this year. I think you'll see that dip a point or two by the end of the season. They'll still be good no doubt with Brady and that oline, but not dominant. And they don't have much of a running game and defense to lean on if/when they struggle.

Amy
10-06-2010, 10:05 PM
ITheir offense averaged 24 points per game with Moss this year. I think you'll see that dip a point or two by the end of the season. They'll still be good no doubt with Brady and that oline, but not dominant. And they don't have much of a running game and defense to lean on if/when they struggle.

Not true. The Pats are 13th in yards per game, and 11th in total yards rushing. Since the week 2 Jets game and Kevin Faulk's season ending injury which brought BenJarvis Green-Ellis in as the feature back, the Pats have run for 319 yards. The Pats running game is not spectacular, but it is very good and very efficent.

Docta
10-06-2010, 10:38 PM

With Vick and McCoy out, it does make sense, even though McCoy might even play whether or not he's 100%.

Bengals1181
10-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Not true. The Pats are 13th in yards per game, and 11th in total yards rushing. Since the week 2 Jets game and Kevin Faulk's season ending injury which brought BenJarvis Green-Ellis in as the feature back, the Pats have run for 319 yards. The Pats running game is not spectacular, but it is very good and very efficent.

are you sold on it for 16 games?

DannyMilk
10-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Arizona does have a QB, AND HIS NAME IS MAX HALL!!! Not for nothing, he impressed me in the preseason...I have a good feeling about him starting...I'm talking 3 straight weeks with a passer rating above 100...mark it down!

Turk Schonert
10-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Arizona does have a QB, AND HIS NAME IS MAX HALL!!! Not for nothing, he impressed me in the preseason...I have a good feeling about him starting...I'm talking 3 straight weeks with a passer rating above 100...mark it down!

Danny,Danny,Danny ... you're not going by preseason are you? He played against guys who aren't even in the league now. Have you been drinking with Clem?

msclemons
10-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Danny,Danny,Danny ... you're not going by preseason are you? He played against guys who aren't even in the league now. Have you been drinking with Clem?

Hey now, I resemble that remark. Besides, after starting Derek Anderson the Cards passing game has nowhere to go but up. Larry Fitzgerald is praying to any deity that will listen for a ball thrown within 5 yards of him.

I'm telling you Turk, there are so many teams in need of QBs this year you should really be working out. I know you could kick Alex Smith's behind. With your left arm.

DannyMilk
10-07-2010, 03:22 AM
Sometimes preseason works out (Peyton Hillis), sometimes it's smoke and mirrors (Isaac Redman)...I hate going by preseason, but to me he did look better than Anderson and Leinart, and yeah, I know, it doesn't count, and he played against preseason teams' third strings, but I have a hunch (no, I am not drunk haha)

Amy
10-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Yes. Absolutely. Green Ellis has always been good when he's gotten the chance to play and Woodhead was one of the best college runners ever. Morris can be a bruiser, and when healthy, Fred Taylor is still Fred Taylor. We put 161 rush yards on Miami, and they can play D. You won't see 80 yard runs from the Pats often, if at all, but 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 keeps drives going, wears out the other defense, and protects our own young word.

I think the Ravens and Steelers might shut it down, but they do that to everyone.

Turk Schonert
10-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Sometimes preseason works out (Peyton Hillis), sometimes it's smoke and mirrors (Isaac Redman)...I hate going by preseason, but to me he did look better than Anderson and Leinart, and yeah, I know, it doesn't count, and he played against preseason teams' third strings, but I have a hunch (no, I am not drunk haha)

To be honest, I love fans who get behind players who aren't well known. I hope Hall plays well!

Bengals1181
10-07-2010, 11:10 AM

slightly off topic, a Bears fan assessment of Dan LeFevour?

Turk Schonert
10-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Yes. Absolutely. Green Ellis has always been good when he's gotten the chance to play and Woodhead was one of the best college runners ever. Morris can be a bruiser, and when healthy, Fred Taylor is still Fred Taylor. We put 161 rush yards on Miami, and they can play D. You won't see 80 yard runs from the Pats often, if at all, but 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 keeps drives going, wears out the other defense, and protects our own young word.

I think the Ravens and Steelers might shut it down, but they do that to everyone.

The patriots have an effective run game. Their offense starts with Tom Brady and the passing game, but with teams trying to double Moss (not any more) & Welker (very little 8 in the box), they have been a very effective run team. It will be interesting to see how teams play them now that Moss is gone.

SpartaChris
10-07-2010, 02:04 PM

I would be. It's a complete myth that you need a smash mouth running game in today's NFL, more so if you have an elite passer like Tom Brady. The runners just need to be able to grab 3 yards every once in a while so they can set up play action. If a team can do that effectively, they will consistently be able to move the chains. They don't need to put up 100 yards a game to be effective.

DannyMilk
10-07-2010, 04:39 PM
slightly off topic, a Bears fan assessment of Dan LeFevour?

Liked that they drafted him...he looked ok from what I saw...still making dumb mistakes, obviously, but I think if he's given a chance he could be decent. It's weird though, because even though a QB may not be good, we try and convince ourselves here in Chicago that he has a chance...we all know Caleb Hanie's talents are limited, but for some reason just because he is average I think I get excited more when he comes into a game.

Bengals1181
10-07-2010, 09:35 PM
cool thanks, I know the Bengals really liked him. They scouted him and brought him in for visits more than any other potential draft pick. If I had to pick one player to be a Bengal by the end of the draft, it was him.

I liked his accuracy in college.