PDA

View Full Version : WR style question

Bengals1181
10-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Turk, I'm curious about WR styles, and if you can ever have too many of the same type?

Here in Cincy, we have both Jordan Shipley and Andre Caldwell. Ideal slot guys who both run good routes (great in Jordan's case) and good hands.

Could you also bring in a guy like Dane Sanzenbacher from Ohio State, who is more or less a less accomplished Jordan Shipley (ideal slot guy, great route runner, good hands).

Can you ever have a case of having too many guys like that rather than a big physically imposing guy or speedster, or will the guys who run great routes and get open always win out?

As an example, would an offense with a top 4 of Welker, Shipley, Houshmandzadeh (in his prime), and Austin Collie be consistently successful?

Turk Schonert
10-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Turk, I'm curious about WR styles, and if you can ever have too many of the same type?

Here in Cincy, we have both Jordan Shipley and Andre Caldwell. Ideal slot guys who both run good routes (great in Jordan's case) and good hands.

Could you also bring in a guy like Dane Sanzenbacher from Ohio State, who is more or less a less accomplished Jordan Shipley (ideal slot guy, great route runner, good hands).

Can you ever have a case of having too many guys like that rather than a big physically imposing guy or speedster, or will the guys who run great routes and get open always win out?

As an example, would an offense with a top 4 of Welker, Shipley, Houshmandzadeh (in his prime), and Austin Collie be consistently successful?

I don't like to have too many of the same type of receiver (unless they're all Andre Johnson types). Having diverse type receivers makes it tougher on opposing DC's to game plan for, and at the same time, it gives an OC a lot more flexibility to use formations and pass route combinations. In today's NFL, you better have some rec's on your team that can stretch the field, or have the ability to catch a short pass and take it for a big gain.

As for your last question, if Peyton Manning were throwing to them ... yes they could be successful.