PDA

View Full Version : OK, Time to Vent

DemCowboys
10-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Wade Phillips is done. He cannot keep this team focused enough to win football games. Good thing they have all this talent because most teams would not have been in that game yesterday with all those penalties. Seriously, you just had a bye week to get ready for this game. How in the hell do you have a bye week and not be focused and prepared for them. They made V Young look like P Manning in the first half. They can't disguise their blitzes, my 2 year old could pick those blitzes up.

I have been backing Phillips because I thought he could put the D over the top. Which he has done a good job for the most part. But he is the overall HC and for the team to keep racking up penalties like that is ridiculous. What sucks is that I don't think Dallas will be able to get another HC in that will demand discipline because those types of personalities will never bow down to JJ.

Now for Romo. Where the hell were some of those passes going. You are lucky you didn't end up with 6 int's in that game. You can definately tell when he is in the game and when he isn't. He wasn't in it passionately yesterday. Sure he had big numbers, but he got away with some throws for sure. The M. Austin touchdown was an incredible play by Austin and a bad throw by Romo. This guy is great when he is in the game and we need him to focus every week and stay in it because when I see him with a numb look on his face, I know something bad is going to happen. I had no confidence in that last drive and it turned out the way I expected after seeing his body language.

New Coach=New Attitude=Less Penalties=Wins

Amy
10-11-2010, 11:43 AM
I don't think you can blame the head coach for dumb penalties like the 3 PIs on the first drive. All three of them were blatant and easy, good, calls. That's not on Wade. You can call a coach out for dumb personal fouls, things like that, but most of the Cowboy penalties in the games in the games I've seen this year have been players making bad on the field decisions. Call Wade out for strategy, or playcalling, sure. But, it's not on him that a DB grabs a guys shirt, or an olineman tackles someone.

DemCowboys
10-11-2010, 01:51 PM
I don't think you can blame the head coach for dumb penalties like the 3 PIs on the first drive. All three of them were blatant and easy, good, calls. That's not on Wade. You can call a coach out for dumb personal fouls, things like that, but most of the Cowboy penalties in the games in the games I've seen this year have been players making bad on the field decisions. Call Wade out for strategy, or playcalling, sure. But, it's not on him that a DB grabs a guys shirt, or an olineman tackles someone.

I have to disagree with you on that. It is the coach's responsibility to have accountability and have his team prepared to play. I have heard to many times about how Wade takes a laid back approach to practice and how he handles his players. He can not conitnue to not hold players accountable for making stupid penalties. It is the coach's responsibility to get the most out of their players and to make sure the players perfect their skills on the field. It is no conincidence that the Cowboys were the second highest penalized team in the NFL since 2008, only one penalty behind the Raiders. Who has been the head coach since then. So to say that the coach can not dictate how the players play on the field is wrong. The coach has to prepare the player properly during the week and that is not happening in Dallas right now.

Turk Schonert
10-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I have to disagree with you on that. It is the coach's responsibility to have accountability and have his team prepared to play. I have heard to many times about how Wade takes a laid back approach to practice and how he handles his players. He can not conitnue to not hold players accountable for making stupid penalties. It is the coach's responsibility to get the most out of their players and to make sure the players perfect their skills on the field. It is no conincidence that the Cowboys were the second highest penalized team in the NFL since 2008, only one penalty behind the Raiders. Who has been the head coach since then. So to say that the coach can not dictate how the players play on the field is wrong. The coach has to prepare the player properly during the week and that is not happening in Dallas right now.

I guess you're saying that Green Bay's HC Mike McCarthy should be fired as well, since his team committed 18 penalties vs Chicago and lost, then committed 9 penalties vs Washington and lost.
Coaches work every practice at perfecting players skills, but that doesn't always translate to the games. Players have to be able to adapt to game speed (you don't get that in practice) without committing penalties. Some players don't or can't make that adjustment very well.

footballgal
10-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Well, I don't know if it can all be boiled down to the penalties, but the constant overall under-performance of the Cowboys has to have a reason. At this point, it's clear the team will never win a Super Bowl with Wade as the HC and Romo as the QB. If I were a Cowboys fan, I'd want Wade out.

And as Packers fan, I am actually a little annoyed at McCarthy for the Packers' ridiculous number of penalties season after season. Not founding-FireMcCarthy.com-annoyed, but a little annoyed.

DemCowboys
10-11-2010, 05:00 PM
And as Packers fan, I am actually a little annoyed at McCarthy for the Packers' ridiculous number of penalties season after season. Not founding-FireMcCarthy.com-annoyed, but a little annoyed.

If the trend continues, I think you will feel like I do.

Turk - I don't know what Green Bay's penalty count is for the last few years, but I was really disturbed by the graphic shown during the Boys/Titans game that the Boys had the 2nd most since 2008, along with a penalty every time the Boys started to get some momentum. I have backed Wade because I thought he was doing a great job with the D, while Garrett was trying to figure out the O's problems. I still think he does a great job with the D, but the overall performance and stupid penalties the team creates are just too much for me. Regardless, we all know if the Cowboys don't turn this around real soon, we all know Wade will be fired.

Turk Schonert
10-11-2010, 06:16 PM
If the trend continues, I think you will feel like I do.

Turk - I don't know what Green Bay's penalty count is for the last few years, but I was really disturbed by the graphic shown during the Boys/Titans game that the Boys had the 2nd most since 2008, along with a penalty every time the Boys started to get some momentum. I have backed Wade because I thought he was doing a great job with the D, while Garrett was trying to figure out the O's problems. I still think he does a great job with the D, but the overall performance and stupid penalties the team creates are just too much for me. Regardless, we all know if the Cowboys don't turn this around real soon, we all know Wade will be fired.

I hope that the Cowboys clean up their act. I'm a fan of Wade's since I coached with him in Buffalo. But you are right, if things don't change, Wade will be gone.

SpartaChris
10-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Well, I don't know if it can all be boiled down to the penalties, but the constant overall under-performance of the Cowboys has to have a reason. At this point, it's clear the team will never win a Super Bowl with Wade as the HC and Romo as the QB. If I were a Cowboys fan, I'd want Wade out.

Let me preface this with I feel like we deserved the loss yesterday. Our offense simply didn't execute. I agree the play calling needs to get better.

That said, I think we get called for a lot of penalties because we have a reputation for undisciplined play. It's like a snowball rolling down hill. Refs watch us like a hawk and go out of their way to look for penalties against us, even if there shouldn't be. The Desmond Bishop PI penalty where he and the receiver tripped over each other is a perfect example.

I would like to see some consistency in the penalty calling against other teams. It's absolute nonsense that we seem to get called out all the time but our opponents do not. For example, Clay Matthews was obviously held in the end zone on the first play after we failed to convert the 4th down for a TD. I don't know how it could be more obvious, but it wasn't called. Should have been a safety with GB getting the ball in excellent field position to put the game away early. I can't tell you the number of times he was held in that Chicago game too. Their offensive line is worse than ours, yet not once was it called.

Also, this is twice now Rodgers has taken a helmet to helmet hit and it doesn't get called. Frank Zombo laid a similar hit on Jay Cutler which cost us 15 yards and an interception. The same should have been given to us, but again, it wasn't. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a fair amount of consistency in the penalty calling. It's complete and total bull**** that we always seem to be on the short end.

rcsphd
10-11-2010, 08:23 PM
What if the Cowboys had just kicked the ball out of bounds? Even though they were kicking from their own 15 wouldn't the ball just go over to the Titans at the Titans 35?

GoBigOrGoHome
10-11-2010, 08:24 PM
New Coach=New Attitude=Less Penalties=Wins

Transitive property of suck to no longer suck? I swear this is not a Brett Favre joke. :rolleyes:

mkocs6
10-11-2010, 09:04 PM
What if the Cowboys had just kicked the ball out of bounds? Even though they were kicking from their own 15 wouldn't the ball just go over to the Titans at the Titans 35?

No, the ball would be placed thirty yards from the spot of the kick. So, that's the Dallas 45. Better than your own 6, I guess, but I think you take your chances rather than give them the ball past midfield.

iwatt
10-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Curse of Flutie. That is all you need to know with Wade.

But the discipline problem is because Wade isn't the HC, except on paper. Hard to impose discipline when your players know it's not really you calling the shots. Dungy, Tomlin, Belichick, Shanahhan are all coaches that will bench a player for undisciplined play or lack of practice intensity no mkatter how good they are or how much they pay them. That is clearly not the case, and is the reason Parcells left them. JJ wants his big name players on field, no matter if they're screwing his team over or not.

DemCowboys
10-12-2010, 01:28 PM
But the discipline problem is because Wade isn't the HC, except on paper. Hard to impose discipline when your players know it's not really you calling the shots. Dungy, Tomlin, Belichick, Shanahhan are all coaches that will bench a player for undisciplined play or lack of practice intensity no mkatter how good they are or how much they pay them. That is clearly not the case, and is the reason Parcells left them. JJ wants his big name players on field, no matter if they're screwing his team over or not.

That's a good point. But let me just say that Garrett isn't doing much better with the offense. He still abandons the run way too much. All game I heard that Dallas was going to work on wearing down the Titans D. Hard to do that when you don't run the ball.

iwatt
10-12-2010, 02:18 PM
They need a hard nose, close lipped* HC. Shanahan would have worked well for them, I think. But it seems JJ doesn't want one of those.

* Or loud mouthed like Jimmy Johnson, but I'm not sure how that personality would work in this world of instant communication.

DemCowboys
10-12-2010, 02:49 PM
All I want for Christmas is Bill Cowher.

bluestree
10-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Focusing on the task at hand, Dallas has to answer the bell at Minnesota. This is a perfect bouce back game. Avenge the playoff loss from last year, and take advantage of a Vikings team that's down. The protection problems Minnesota showed last night have to encourage the 'Boys. The Vikes stunk it up after having a bye week, which is a bad sign. Dallas needs to show some killer instinct, not to mention it would help my Packers.

iwatt
10-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Focusing on the task at hand, Dallas has to answer the bell at Minnesota. This is a perfect bouce back game. Avenge the playoff loss from last year, and take advantage of a Vikings team that's down. The protection problems Minnesota showed last night have to encourage the 'Boys. The Vikes stunk it up after having a bye week, which is a bad sign. Dallas needs to show some killer instinct, not to mention it would help my Packers.

This game will be like watching a train wreck.

-A desperate Dallas team playing in the loud Metrodome.... mistakes will happen on the OL, even without Flozell..
-Favre seeing De Marcus Ware rumbling down on him, will just throw jump balls hoping Moss will come down with it.
-The Vikings have a hole in their secondary after loosing Griffin. A lot of yardage by Romo. Not sure if he'll score points though.

I think the Cowboys are better on the road than at home though. The large HD screen has them camera shy....

DemCowboys
10-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Dallas needs to show some killer instinct, not to mention it would help my Packers.

When I started reading your response, I was waiting on this part.
If Dallas loses this game, they will have no shot at the playoffs this year. Their schedule is just to brutal. A win here could help gain some confidence, but that is what I thought after the Houston game. I don't want to give up on them this year, but there are only so many games that I can watch them get 10-12 drive killing penalties. Or helping sustain drives for the opponent O. This might be one of the more unenjoyable seasons that I can remember being a Cowboys fan. They have all the talent to get to the Super Bowl and are performing way below expectations right now. At least the 1-15 season in 1989 was expected and you could count on them losing instead of expecting them to win only to watch the train wreck every Sunday.

bluestree
10-12-2010, 05:04 PM
It's an interesting matchup of two teams that are struggling. Both teams have offensive lines that are not performing. The only difference is we knew going in that the Cowboys had potential problems. More was expected of the Vikings line, no one was predicting Loadholt regressing, or the instability at right guard and center. I think the Cowboys can get this done, the Vikings are hurting on the back end, and the Jets showed you can run the ball on them. They need to protect Romo and let him work on Lito Sheppard, who'll be replacing Griffin with Cook the rook being out. Brett's arm is not going to get better in a week, and it's time for the 'Boys to make a move.

SpartaChris
10-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Who knew we'd have a playoff game in week 6. While it's mathematically possible for the loser of this game to still make the playoffs, seems like it's gonna be a tough hole to crawl out of. That said, this is a wacky season in the NFL, so I guess you can ignore what I just said.

iwatt
10-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Dallas schedule was brutal at the start of the season. Looking at it when 1-4 makes me shudder.

DemCowboys
10-13-2010, 09:13 AM
I think the Cowboys can get this done, the Vikings are hurting on the back end, and the Jets showed you can run the ball on them.

Can someone please send the memo to Garrett to at least try and run the ball.

bluestree
10-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Ya' know, throw off the bootleg, or the slant or some other short pass on first down to try to get five or more yards, then run the ball. I guess it is easier said than done. This season though it seems like teams are running more and more packages onto the field, trying to expose each other, out-scheme each other. At some point in football, it has to be about manning up and beating the guy who's right across the line from you. Trickeration is great, throwing a ton is exciting. But if you can pound it, then you need to.

Wordsworth
10-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Draw fakes and quick passes are the bread and butter of the passing game for Dallas. We are not typically a vertical team by nature. Having Romo operate in 3/4-wide sets and out of the shotgun is not their strength. The Cowboys are at their best when the running game sets up short and intermediate passing lanes and we can get guys the ball in space. They illustrated their ability to score by using that gameplan against Houston and Tennessee both, and I expect the trend to continue going forward. Where the major problem lies is in the penalties and total lack of discipline. I think much of it refers back to the comments several Cowboys players made a few weeks ago about poor practice habits and a lack of leadership on the team. Someone needs to step up and motivate these guys because it seems they are often getting wrapped up in the hype of being the Cowboys and failing to execute even basic fundamentals on the field.

iwatt
10-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Someone needs to step up and motivate these guys because it seems they are often getting wrapped up in the hype of being the Cowboys and failing to execute even basic fundamentals on the field.

Maybe Flozell was a vocal leader, and they're missing him. Somebody in the OL needs to step up there. It's not going to be one of the receivers...

Somebody has to slap the silly out of the CBs. It's not that guy who pretends he's Ray Lewis with his pre game shouts. Doesn't have the flow to really be the Leader.

On a positive note, Roy Williams has looked good....

DemCowboys
10-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Bye, Bye Wade, hopefully Garrett will follow you out the door.