PDA

View Full Version : Site Updates

Andy Freeland
07-06-2010, 09:10 AM
We've implemented a few of the changes requested by our users:

1. Report Post button - desperately needed and a day late, but it's here now. There's a small black triangle at the bottom left of each post. You can click on it when someone is being abusive, spamming or using unacceptable language (but not when someone is a fan of a team you don't like). Only moderators will see the report. We are still deciding how strict we are going to be with the forum, aside from George Carlin's 7 words you can't say on TV, but feel free to use the 'Report Post' button liberally.

2. 'Show all posts' link for contributors. I had several request for a quick and painless way to see all of Cris' posts. On the Front Page, under contributors, there's a link that you can click to show all posts for each of the contributors.

In the queue: I will create an off-topic forum for other (lesser) sports and general, not totally football related conversations.

We are still a work in progress. Feel free make any suggestions that you feel might improve the site in any way.

thanks,

Andy Freeland

FessJL0861
07-07-2010, 04:33 PM
We've implemented a few of the changes requested by our users:

1. Report Post button - desperately needed and a day late, but it's here now. There's a small black triangle at the bottom left of each post. You can click on it when someone is being abusive, spamming or using unacceptable language (but not when someone is a fan of a team you don't like). Only moderators will see the report. We are still deciding how strict we are going to be with the forum, aside from George Carlin's 7 words you can't say on TV, but feel free to use the 'Report Post' button liberally.

2. 'Show all posts' link for contributors. I had several request for a quick and painless way to see all of Cris' posts. On the Front Page, under contributors, there's a link that you can click to show all posts for each of the contributors.

In the queue: I will create an off-topic forum for other (lesser) sports and general, not totally football related conversations.

We are still a work in progress. Feel free make any suggestions that you feel might improve the site in any way.

thanks,

Andy Freeland

Is there a way to get some type of a message, email, or notification if someone responds to a post of mine? The reason I asked, is Collinsworth responded to something I had said, and had I not visited the thread I wouldn't have know.

Andy Freeland
07-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Is there a way to get some type of a message, email, or notification if someone responds to a post of mine? The reason I asked, is Collinsworth responded to something I had said, and had I not visited the thread I wouldn't have know.

Although that might seem like a good idea, it would rapidly become a nuisance to you. It would also be a severe drain on our server to send out an email to everyone in a thread every time Cris posts. I realize that people want to see what Cris has to say, especially in response to their questions and we're trying to make his posts as accessible as possible. Probably the best idea at this point is to click on 'show all posts' under his name on the front page under contributors.

NickMykita
07-07-2010, 04:49 PM

When you post in a thread, there should be an option somewhere to subscribe to that thread. If you select that, you can have it send you an email whenever someone posts in that thread, so you can always stay on top of it.

Andy Freeland
07-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Oops. NickMykita is absolutely right. At the top of every thread is a drop down menu labeled 'Thread Tools', with 'Subscribe to Thread' under it, which will do what you want. Thanks NickMykita, I owe you one.

Wordsworth
07-07-2010, 05:30 PM
How about all external and article links by default open in a new window? Small feature but something that gets overlooked sometimes.

Andy Freeland
07-07-2010, 05:36 PM
How about all external and article links by default open in a new window? Small feature but something that gets overlooked sometimes.

That's how I had it originally, but then any internal links were also opening in their own window (not from the menus obviously, but from any articles and posts), which is just obnoxious so I turned it off. That's a programming issue that I need to take another look at. Thanks.

Wordsworth
07-07-2010, 05:46 PM
I personally open all new posts and threads in new tabs anyways so for me it's ideal. I realize other people might not like it, though.

FessJL0861
07-08-2010, 10:18 AM
When you post in a thread, there should be an option somewhere to subscribe to that thread. If you select that, you can have it send you an email whenever someone posts in that thread, so you can always stay on top of it.

Nick I found it under thread tools. Good lookin' out chief.

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 10:35 AM
I'd like streaming helmet cams for each of the contributors as well as DannyMilk so that I may watch and correct deficiencies in my own internet performance.

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 10:59 AM
In all seriousness...maybe a 'like' 'dislike' button a la Facebook, maybe that functionality is already here. I don't know it's my first forum site...but sometimes you want to tell a poster "Right on man!" or "screw you pal!" but don't feel like actually posting something that doesn't add in any way to the conversation.

DannyMilk
07-10-2010, 04:27 AM
I'd like a Child Please button, because I'd use it a lot haha...and my helmet cam at the moment would literally be me eating, watching a lot of TV, eating more (I'm fat), and watching more TV, at least until Wednesday, then I won't be on here 20/24 hours haha.

Docta
07-10-2010, 04:49 AM
In all seriousness...maybe a 'like' 'dislike' button a la Facebook, maybe that functionality is already here. I don't know it's my first forum site...but sometimes you want to tell a poster "Right on man!" or "screw you pal!" but don't feel like actually posting something that doesn't add in any way to the conversation.

A thumbs up/down feature would be better.

FessJL0861
07-12-2010, 06:44 PM
I'd like a Child Please button, because I'd use it a lot haha...and my helmet cam at the moment would literally be me eating, watching a lot of TV, eating more (I'm fat), and watching more TV, at least until Wednesday, then I won't be on here 20/24 hours haha.

I second the motion for a child please button

Andy Freeland
07-12-2010, 07:00 PM

There is a 'user reputation' system. If you see something you like you would give the user reputation points. I have it turned off because it didn't seem that useful to me, but we can turn it on it people are interested. Sadly, there is not a 'screw you pal' system.

I could also put a "child please" button on each post. It wouldn't do anything but might make you feel better, sort of like the 'close door' button on an elevator.

DannyMilk
07-12-2010, 07:11 PM
I shall rapidly and repeatedly click the mouse over the child please button as I see the trolls vanish into the night

FessJL0861
07-13-2010, 03:47 PM
There is a 'user reputation' system. If you see something you like you would give the user reputation points. I have it turned off because it didn't seem that useful to me, but we can turn it on it people are interested. Sadly, there is not a 'screw you pal' system.

I could also put a "child please" button on each post. It wouldn't do anything but might make you feel better, sort of like the 'close door' button on an elevator.

I don't know about user reputation points. I may make a few people angry and end up getting dinged on my reputation just because they disagree with me. I will never believe that everyone on the internet will show common sense.

Colts01
07-13-2010, 11:35 PM
I will never believe that everyone on the internet will show common sense.

That statement needs to go on the internet Mt.Rushmore
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/djerc7/mt-rushmore-4copy.jpg

Pattrick
07-13-2010, 11:41 PM
I don't know about user reputation points. I may make a few people angry and end up getting dinged on my reputation just because they disagree with me. I will never believe that everyone on the internet will show common sense.

I agree. I like the idea of the user reputation but there are just too many people out there that are angry and carry around way too much hatred.
I don't like the idea of a "child please" button..... I think the comments ratings would be a better idea. Just the thumbs up, thumbs down type of thing.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Great job policing the site so far. Got the message regarding the foul language. Apologies. Will keep it clean going forward.

User reputation points? That could get hairy real quick as membership grows. I agree with the others on just a simple thumbs up/down.

Andy Freeland
07-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Great job policing the site so far. Got the message regarding the foul language. Apologies. Will keep it clean going forward.

User reputation points? That could get hairy real quick as membership grows. I agree with the others on just a simple thumbs up/down.

Thanks, and we haven't spelled that out as clearly as we should, which is why we didn't chastise or otherwise overreact. I did make a change to the site so most of Carlin's 7 words will now automatically be replaced by ****, which I should have done initially.

So, I couldn't tell, do you like Matt Millen or not?

Andy Freeland
07-14-2010, 12:10 AM
I agree. I like the idea of the user reputation but there are just too many people out there that are angry and carry around way too much hatred.

I agree as well, which is why I didn't turn on reputation to begin with. Plus every board uses rep points, they've become a cliche. Fine for lesser sites, but we're above that.

TheLinc
07-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks, and we haven't spelled that out as clearly as we should, which is why we didn't chastise or otherwise overreact. I did make a change to the site so most of Carlin's 7 words will now automatically be replaced by ****, which I should have done initially.

Just his words? Individually? What about if used in a riddle? An anecdote? An ironic musing? Are you prepared to make that sort of judgment call? I think not!

Is there a way to highlight/favorite certain users? Allows their posts to show up in a different color so you can track certain people's thoughts, for better or worse.

Andy Freeland
07-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Not sure that there's a way to highlight, but you can click on their name and click on 'view forum posts'.

Pattrick
07-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Just his words? Individually? What about if used in a riddle? An anecdote? An ironic musing? Are you prepared to make that sort of judgment call? I think not!

Is there a way to highlight/favorite certain users? Allows their posts to show up in a different color so you can track certain people's thoughts, for better or worse.

Like internet stalking? lol, j/k.

DannyMilk
07-14-2010, 12:22 AM
This is ******* ******** I'm never ******* coming on this ************* site again!!! Kidding, of ******* course

Andy Freeland
07-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Don't worry, you can still say ****.

Oops, nope, guess you can't.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-14-2010, 12:28 AM

So, I couldn't tell, do you like Matt Millen or not?

Screw that guy. My boys & I call it the 'kids table' when Millen shows up on MNF with Stu Scott (don't get me started on that guy) & Steve Young.

/currently surrounded by the smell of gun oil from cleaning up the old shotty...

TheLinc
07-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Like internet stalking? lol, j/k.

Heh, kind of. Works nice for long threads that you arrive late to, so you can scroll through and read certain users whose perspective you might enjoy more than others, or color them as their favorite team so you can gauge any bias that might also be present. Some sites use it to allow users to flag trolls, but I don't think that will be a problem here.

Colts01
07-14-2010, 12:33 AM
This is ******* ******** I'm never ******* coming on this ************* site again!!! Kidding, of ******* course

you took the *********** right out of my mouth! stupid *** ..lol!

TheLinc
07-14-2010, 01:44 AM
Andy - another thought.

Tweaking the "Reply with Quote" button to only quote highlighted material? If someone makes a long, thoughtful post and I wanted to comment only to one aspect of it, or several aspects but broken down, i.e. "Quote"[reply], "Quote"[reply], "Quote"[reply], etc. If nothing is highlighted then quote the entire post.

Not sure if that's possible or too much of a pain, just spitballing ;)

FessJL0861
07-17-2010, 12:32 PM
I usually just delete the stuff in the quote I don't want to comment on. Also, Andy, could you incorporate a report post button in the article comment section? I know how to get it there, but it requires me to edit a previous post to get to that screen.

Wordsworth
07-17-2010, 05:02 PM
You can just delete the parts you don't want to reply in, since it all shows up in your reply box anyhow.

wxwax
03-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Aren't "gick snabbt runt" banned words here? If not, they should be.