PDA

View Full Version : New LeBron Commercial

hassan812
10-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Well, this new LeBron commercial from Nike is making are getting a lot of people talking. I think it was a very well done commercial especially compared to the one Nike did recently with Tiger Woods and his father's voice. What are your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smDb8JSj2eg

SpartaChris
10-25-2010, 11:38 PM
I think he's a douche regardless of how good the commercials are.

KabaModernFan
10-26-2010, 12:43 AM
I love everything about this commercial, and absolutely LOVE the rip on Barkley. LeBron might average a triple double, I'm giddy for tomorrow night.

GoBigOrGoHome
10-26-2010, 01:20 AM
Love the smack on Barkley.

GoBigOrGoHome
10-26-2010, 07:38 AM
After a few views of the ad, I'll say this - LeBron got some good advice this time.

That is one savvy commercial.

Polishguy00
10-26-2010, 07:57 AM
LeBron needed something exactly like this to at least attempt to regain some of his reputation. I don't know if people that do not like him will change their minds at all, but at least he has proven that he can finally take good advice along with the crappy advice.

GoBigOrGoHome
10-26-2010, 09:20 AM
For me, that ad makes me think about myself at 25. I'd like to think that, even then, I would have been able see to what a disaster 'The Decision' would become.

But I honestly do not know that would have been the case. And I am just a regular guy who has never been in anything that remotely resembles LeBron's shoes.

iwatt
10-26-2010, 12:32 PM
For me, that ad makes me think about myself at 25. I'd like to think that, even then, I would have been able see to what a disaster 'The Decision' would become.

But I honestly do not know that would have been the case. And I am just a regular guy who has never been in anything that remotely resembles LeBron's shoes.

Yeah, at 25 I wouldn't have done that. But at 25 I wasn't a 2 time MVP who had one of his teamates banging his mother. A 2 time MVP whose teammates, except for Varejao, all crawled up and died in the playoffs.

Bonehead move, yes. But I think he was pissed off, tired of been the hope for a whole city.

rdcameron
10-26-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm a Lebron James fan, and I think he's the best player in the NBA. As for his commercial, I thought it was very well done. I thought that he sort of admitted his "decision" was a mistake, he took a few shots at Charles Barkley, and he wondered whether if he should be a villian. Well right now, he is percieved by most people as a villan for leaving Cleveland in the manner that he left them, but I think those same people who are now hating on him never liked him in the first place. Why not embrace being a villian, and just go out there and play ball? He is the best all-around player in the game, and he's playing with Wade, who is also a top 5 player in the NBA, so he has a great shot at winning it all this year.

What will be interesting tonight, on the pre-game show beforet the Heat-Celtics game, you KNOW they will show this commercial and Charles Barkley WILL have something to say about this.

Pruitt
10-27-2010, 01:35 PM
On the one hand, I think the ad is another example of the brilliant marketing minds at Nike as they have come up with a great ad that may actually rehab the image of that back-stabbing ass**** LeBron James.

On the other hand, I had the #2 pick in my fantasy draft the other night and almost shed tears of joy knowing that I'd be able to get LeBron. My team is called the "South Beach Talents" in honour of my new favourite player, the misunderstood and supremely talented Lebron James. So I love the ad and anything with LeBron in it.

Guess I'm a bit conflicted...

iwatt
10-27-2010, 01:55 PM
. My team is called the "South Beach Talents" in honour of my new favourite player, the misunderstood and supremely talented Lebron James. ...

As well as your favorite pastime? ;)

Pruitt
10-27-2010, 02:34 PM
As well as your favorite pastime? ;)

Ummm... I uhhh... don't get it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to Google Salma Hayek.

iwatt
10-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Ummm... I uhhh... don't get it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to Google Salma Hayek.

This reminded me of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkklW7VEBHA

DannyMilk
10-30-2010, 02:04 PM
I used to like LeBron, but the past couple seasons (before decisiongate) I haven't liked his attitude...I understand being cocky, I get it, he should be, but I just don't dig the whole "I'm better than everyone" act when you have no rings on your finger and you're putting up 26 points in Charlotte on a Wednesday night and stuff like that.

SpartaChris
10-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Note to LeBron after watching the commercial: YOU ARE NOT A VICTIM. Stop acting like one.

mkocs6
10-30-2010, 07:27 PM
The commercial reminds people, I think, of a lot of things they like(d) about LeBron. He's funny, he's versatile, he presents himself as a fundamentally good guy. He's very likable.

People need to stop acting as though LeBron James is the first person ever to have been denounced by others for not doing what they wanted him to do. I hate to break this to everyone in the media, but this happens every day of every person's life. LeBron made his decision the most visible choice in the history of sports in this country, so is it any wonder that people have criticized it in proportion, and rejected his choice because of the utter tastelessness with which it was executed? LeBron has tried to deflect the fact that he just made an awful choice--if not in fact, at least in manner--by saying his detractors were motivated by racial bias and now that he has been singled out.

As for what I'd like LeBron to be, I'd like him to be a basketball player. I'd like him to focus on his play more than being a cultural icon. I'd like him to admit that, as a native Clevelander, I don't like him because he quit on the city in the Boston series and he ran away like a coward and has done nothing but abdicate his responsibility for what happened since that time.

GoBigOrGoHome
10-30-2010, 07:39 PM
As for what I'd like LeBron to be, I'd like him to be a basketball player. I'd like him to focus on his play more than being a cultural icon.

That would be scary good to see. I may even start watching the NBA again.

Let Nike mind your image, LBJ. They are waaaaaay better at it than your friends.

Focus on basketball and the 'iconic' business will sort itself out. But, if you don't win on the court, you will never win off the court.

TheRealJosh
10-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Only a twit would say he quit on his team. Game 5 they were down 31 pts. The starters should have been pulled for game 6, which Lebron got a triple-double while quitting. I'll agree he stood in a corner on offense for a few series, but he looked tired. There's a reason Mike Brown and Danny Ferry were fired and haven't been re-hired. They were propped up by Lebron James. Dan Gilbert carpet bagged and bought the franchise a few years after Lebron James started generating 200M/yr for that franchise.

mkocs6
10-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Only a twit would say he quit on his team. Game 5 they were down 31 pts. The starters should have been pulled for game 6, which Lebron got a triple-double while quitting. I'll agree he stood in a corner on offense for a few series, but he looked tired. There's a reason Mike Brown and Danny Ferry were fired and haven't been re-hired. They were propped up by Lebron James. Dan Gilbert carpet bagged and bought the franchise a few years after Lebron James started generating 200M/yr for that franchise.

He was also one turnover away from a quadruple double in Game 6, and he had a +/- of -5 in Game 6. I watched the most dominant player in the world dribble the ball off his foot and shrug with two minutes to go.

In Game 5 he was 3/14 from the field and his presence on the floor got the Cavs a net -22 points. This happened in Cleveland in what was the most important game of his professional career to date. And he didn't just stand in the corner, he looked distant and as though he didn't care. And he's never had to answer for it.

I will not dispute that Mike Brown was a pretty awful coach, and that Danny Ferry always seemed to be playing checkers when his opposing GMs were playing chess, but please, let's not pretend that the box score tells the whole story here. No one who watched those games thinks (s)he saw the same LeBron James in Games 4, 5, and 6 that (s)he saw in Game 3.

GoBigOrGoHome
10-30-2010, 08:05 PM
:star:
He was also one turnover away from a quadruple double in Game 6, in spite of that, he had a +/- of -5 in Game 6. I watched the most dominant player in the world dribble the ball off his foot and shrug with two minutes to go.

In Game 5 he was 3/14 from the field and his presence on the floor got the Cavs a net -22 points. This happened in Cleveland in what was the most important game of his professional career to date. And he didn't just stand in the corner, he visibly looked like he didn't care. And he's never had to answer for it.

I will not dispute that Mike Brown was a pretty awful coach, and that Danny Ferry always seemed to be playing checkers when his opposing GMs were playing chess, but please, let's not pretend that the box score tells the whole story here. No one who watched those games thinks (s)he saw the same LeBron James in Games 4, 5, and 6 that (s)he saw in Game 3.

6 -- I could not agree more. LBJ checked out of Cleveland for good after game 3. And the (s) is aptly placed.

Pruitt
10-30-2010, 09:04 PM
The commercial reminds people, I think, of a lot of things they like(d) about LeBron. He's funny, he's versatile, he presents himself as a fundamentally good guy. He's very likable.

Correction - the people who make his TV ads and who tailored his image made him appear funny and likable.

iwatt
10-31-2010, 01:02 PM
:star:

6 -- I could not agree more. LBJ checked out of Cleveland for good after game 3. And the (s) is aptly placed.

He was never going to win in Cleveland. Ferry never made the right trades, Mike Brown was out of his League in the playoffs, where elite coaches at least adjust.

And something happened to that Locker room. I do believe the story's of Delonte West and Ma' James are true. Few things are going to cause a Locker room to implode faster than that. Maybe it wasn't true, but just the rumor was a disaster.

LeBron had seen the writing on the wall. For 7 years he'd overperformed, and that overperformance led to the Cavs thinking Regular season dominace would translate to playoff dominance. Ask Michael Jordan how well that formula worked for him from 1985 to 1991. The differnce with MJs situation and Lebrons was that Phil Jackson knows how to adjust during playoff series, and the Chicago front office somehow nabbed the second best player in the league (Scottie Pippen), as well as MJ. So the best player in the game found the second or third best player in the league, went to a team with a good coach and front office. The jury is still out on Spoelstra, but he overperformed on a team that only had Wade, turning them into a deffensive powerhouse last year.

LeBron is an ******* for the decision, but he didn't quit. He suffered fatigue when he realized that 4 of the best five players on the field against the Celtics were on the other team. He could and did take out Paul Pierce. That still meant that Rondo, Allen and Garnett could destroy whatever team the Cavs put out. When Kobe had his infamous 6-24 performance, the Lkaers stepped up to the plate. All of them. When LeBron was having a bad night, nobody in the Cavs stepped up. Nobody. So basically LeBron can't have a bad night, ever. At some point, 7 years of that will drag you down.

Every Elite athlete has had a stinker at some point in there career. Tom Brady screwed up last year against the Ravens. Manning had a couple of stinkers against the pats as well. Marino, Favre, even Montana. 96' Jordan is the only athlete who never did, and it took a pathological personality for that.

So give over with the quit. He played 70+ games for 7 years and had a bad game, when everybody else in his team did as well. Go after them as ell as after LeBron.

TheRealJosh
11-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Tom Brady has failed his team repeatedly. He just lucked out on the Chargers blowing it. On his way to his first superbowl, an imaginary rule was implemented called the Tuck Rule. On his way to his 3rd Superbowl, he throw a game-losing INT, but the defender fumbled. On his way to 18-1, he threw 3 INTS vs San Diego. Never forget his classic trash talk of the Giants-"We're only going to score 17 pts-ha ha ha ha"

iwatt
11-01-2010, 11:35 PM
I wish I had a QB who failed as repeatedly as Tom Brady

SpartaChris
11-02-2010, 09:22 AM
I wish I had a QB who failed as repeatedly as Tom Brady

No kidding. Would be good to have a QB failed himself into 3 SB championships, a couple MVP's and a record, undefeated year..

iwatt
11-02-2010, 11:09 AM
No kidding. Would be good to have a QB failed himself into 3 SB championships, a couple MVP's and a record, undefeated year..

And giselle.

TheRealJosh
11-02-2010, 04:51 PM
That's exactly what I'm talking about. No looking at nuances. His team won some rings, it wasn't him doing it all. 18-1 isn't an undefeated year.

iwatt
11-02-2010, 06:02 PM
That's exactly what I'm talking about. No looking at nuances. His team won some rings, it wasn't him doing it all. 18-1 isn't an undefeated year.

You may not like the guy, but saying he is not an Elite Talent is ridiculous. You don't win 75% of the super bowls you play in because you are a system QB. And no he didn't do it all, but he did put up 50 TDs against one of the toughest schedules in the history of the game.

TheRealJosh
11-02-2010, 07:10 PM
You may not like the guy, but saying he is not an Elite Talent is ridiculous. You don't win 75% of the super bowls you play in because you are a system QB. And no he didn't do it all, but he did put up 50 TDs against one of the toughest schedules in the history of the game.

When did I say he wasn't an elite talent?

iwatt
11-02-2010, 07:12 PM
When did I say he wasn't an elite talent?

I think when you said:

Tom Brady has failed his team repeatedly. He just lucked out on the Chargers blowing it. On his way to his first superbowl, an imaginary rule was implemented called the Tuck Rule. On his way to his 3rd Superbowl, he throw a game-losing INT, but the defender fumbled. On his way to 18-1, he threw 3 INTS vs San Diego. Never forget his classic trash talk of the Giants-"We're only going to score 17 pts-ha ha ha ha"

TheRealJosh
11-02-2010, 08:27 PM
I think when you said:

Still looking for where he's not elite talent...
If you've got them Tivo'd you can see him probably lose the Chargers game 4-5 years ago with a game-losing INT the defender immediately coughed up. That's luck. Tuck Rule-ya the Pats had to eat it on one of those during the season, but it's rarely called. Luck. The 18-1 game he repeatedly gave the ball to the other team. Rivers played with a Torn ACL and LT sat on the bench with injuries, they were very lucky to win that game.

SpartaChris
11-03-2010, 02:37 AM
And giselle.

Bridget Moynahan too.

iwatt
11-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Still looking for where he's not elite talent...
If you've got them Tivo'd you can see him probably lose the Chargers game 4-5 years ago with a game-losing INT the defender immediately coughed up. That's luck. Tuck Rule-ya the Pats had to eat it on one of those during the season, but it's rarely called. Luck. The 18-1 game he repeatedly gave the ball to the other team. Rivers played with a Torn ACL and LT sat on the bench with injuries, they were very lucky to win that game.

We can nitpick all games. Without Rex Grossman on the Colts roster, Indy doesn't take the 2006 Superbowl ;)
Without the Refs, Ben dowesn't beat the Seahawks.
Without a receiver who never against caught a ball in the NFL, with his helmet, Eli never wins his Superbowl.
Even Joe Montana had an Int dropped in the endzone in SB XXIII before the winning TD the next throw.
Without the Tuck Rule, I agree the pats don't beat Oakland.

And in 2007, Brady threw 50 TD and only 8 INTs.

So we're agreed. He's elite, and every elite talent has benefited from luck.

SpartaChris
11-03-2010, 12:00 PM
@TheRealJosh- Who is elite in your mind?

TheRealJosh
11-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Peyton Manning. A shopping Cart with mannequin arms could catch his passes.

SpartaChris
11-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Sure, I'd agree with that. I put Peyton Manning at or near the top of the best quarterbacks in the NFL of all time. But if you don't think he's also had some lucky breaks throughout his career, you're deliberately being naive.

I also think Tom Brady is as elite as they come. 3 Super Bowl Rings, single season TD record, 2 time Super Bowl MVP, NFL MVP, and led his team to the best record of anyone since 1972. In the free agency and salary cap era even. If that's not elite, I dunno what it.

TheRealJosh
11-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Sure, I'd agree with that. I put Peyton Manning at or near the top of the best quarterbacks in the NFL of all time. But if you don't think he's also had some lucky breaks throughout his career, you're deliberately being naive.

I also think Tom Brady is as elite as they come. 3 Super Bowl Rings, single season TD record, 2 time Super Bowl MVP, NFL MVP, and led his team to the best record of anyone since 1972. In the free agency and salary cap era even. If that's not elite, I dunno what it.

I think Manning has had several unlucky breaks. Hank Baskett can't hold onto an onside kick. Edge James gets 2 balls ripped out of his hands. Almost no one on the Colts defense has been any good. [Mathis and Freeney have developed nicely, but the rest is caca]

iwatt
11-03-2010, 04:34 PM
I think Manning has had several unlucky breaks. Hank Baskett can't hold onto an onside kick. Edge James gets 2 balls ripped out of his hands. Almost no one on the Colts defense has been any good. [Mathis and Freeney have developed nicely, but the rest is caca]

Really? The defensive player of the year isn't really handed to everybody. They've been a top 10 scoring defense a lot of years now, and they are a de3fense built to win games when leading.

Peyton is a beast, and no better example than last monday. But he does have the best GM in the league on his side, who knows how to build a team that compliments his star QB, and has one of the best eyes in Football for drafting. That is why 5th round CBs can be plugged in seamlessly, which doesn't have much to do with Peyton.

Everybody who says that Peyton has no help on the defensive side should really go back and see how that defense overpreformed during the post season of their Superbowl run. Mathis and Freeney are the best pass rush in the league, and they never slow down. He has had a top 3 wideout for all his career (Harrison then Wayne), and the best TE in the game (Clark is an elite blocker, something that sometimes is forgotten because he is also the best pass catcher out there).

I'd take either of them. Push comes to shove, I'd take Brady, just because I think he is more of an emotional leader than Peyton, but it's not like I'd feels badly about having either one on my team.

SpartaChris
11-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Putting a halt to the OT debate for a minute, did anyone see South Park tonight? They did a pretty hilarious spoof of the LeBron commercial. Classic South Park!

TheRealJosh
11-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Really? The defensive player of the year isn't really handed to everybody. They've been a top 10 scoring defense a lot of years now, and they are a de3fense built to win games when leading.

Peyton is a beast, and no better example than last monday. But he does have the best GM in the league on his side, who knows how to build a team that compliments his star QB, and has one of the best eyes in Football for drafting. That is why 5th round CBs can be plugged in seamlessly, which doesn't have much to do with Peyton.

Everybody who says that Peyton has no help on the defensive side should really go back and see how that defense overpreformed during the post season of their Superbowl run. Mathis and Freeney are the best pass rush in the league, and they never slow down. He has had a top 3 wideout for all his career (Harrison then Wayne), and the best TE in the game (Clark is an elite blocker, something that sometimes is forgotten because he is also the best pass catcher out there).

I'd take either of them. Push comes to shove, I'd take Brady, just because I think he is more of an emotional leader than Peyton, but it's not like I'd feels badly about having either one on my team.

For 10 weeks, they had a defense that could stop the run and cover passes. They put their biggest DLmen at DT and put Rob Morris in the Middle. Oh and Bob Sanders came back(he's a ghost, why I don't include him on great players}. At the end of the year they let Rob and the bigger boys go, b/c they didn't fit in the scheme.

SpartaChris
11-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Ouch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvgD9HNTMkM&feature=player_embedded

Colts01
11-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Ouch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvgD9HNTMkM&feature=player_embedded
touche clever film maker..... touche

GoBigOrGoHome
11-05-2010, 06:36 PM
How long before Nike gets this yanked down?

SpartaChris
11-05-2010, 11:26 PM
I dunno if they can. It's different enough from the original that it should avoid any copyright complications.

That said, Nike's attorneys are better than mine, so who knows.

Colts01
11-06-2010, 12:46 AM
I think it would be quite nice though if they play that version on the big screen before they introduce the starters when Miami goes there.Make for good tv.

msclemons
11-06-2010, 01:29 PM
That is the BEST flame film I've ever seen. That film should get an Oscar! I would like to have a uterus implanted so I could have that film's babies!

Seriously though, ouch.