PDA

View Full Version : Explain the Rex Grossman

TheRealJosh
11-01-2010, 07:37 AM
He's great at causing turnovers. That's it. He's a David Carr that fumbles and INTs more. Why is he even on the roster? This is it for him, right? No more jobs in the NFL, now?

GoBigOrGoHome
11-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Shanahan needs to take some serious heat for benching McNabb. DMac was not having a great game, but Rex Grossman? Really, Mike?

trh5001
11-01-2010, 09:49 AM
He's great at causing turnovers. That's it. He's a David Carr that fumbles and INTs more. Why is he even on the roster? This is it for him, right? No more jobs in the NFL, now?
Coaches seem to love backups with real game experience so he'll probably stick around some...how do you explain carr staying around.

Pruitt
11-01-2010, 10:23 AM
It's not so much that Shanahan benched McNabb, it's when he did it. A truly inexplicable move - kind of like buying a lottery ticket and expecting it to win.

GoBigOrGoHome
11-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Coaches seem to love backups with real game experience so he'll probably stick around some...how do you explain carr staying around.

Grossman, Carr, Collins, Batch. These guys have it pretty good. They don't rack up much by way of hits (even in practice). They make a pretty nice living carrying a clipboard & wearing a ball cap and earpiece on the sidelines.

The highlight of Rex getting absolutely mugged by the Lions 'D' and watching Suh scoop & score was awesome.

If you haven't peeked in at PFT today, you missed a beauty. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/01/harrison-and-florio-talk-about-baffling-shanahan-explanation/. Rodney Harrison's take on Sexy Rexy is priceless.

TheRealJosh
11-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Batch and Collins were useful as early as 2 years ago. Anyone give credence to the explanation that Rex "is better-equipped to lead the 2-minute offense" was code for black QBs being too stupid.

DannyMilk
11-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Unleash the dragon!

brauneyz
11-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Batch and Collins were useful as early as 2 years ago. Anyone give credence to the explanation that Rex "is better-equipped to lead the 2-minute offense" was code for black QBs being too stupid.

Seriously, WTH?

BuckeyeRidley
11-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Nice point Josh.

Its sorta an NFL thing to keep folks around who aren't consistently successful. You can look at the coaching ranks and see that with Norv Turner and you look at players who are journeymen like Rex.

Its crazy but it kinda apart of what the League does.

TheRealJosh
11-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Seriously, WTH?

According to Jeanne McManus, coaches used to say things like this all the time to prevent blacks from playing QB. I'm not old enough to remember those days.

Pruitt
11-01-2010, 09:15 PM
According to Jeanne McManus, coaches used to say things like this all the time to prevent blacks from playing QB. I'm not old enough to remember those days.
I do remember those days. But this is different, as Shanahan now claims that McNabb's cardio conditioning was the reason he benched him.

Have fun Skins fans, when this season ends, you'll be without a starting QB and be stuck with Captain Queeg as Coach for four more years.

GoBigOrGoHome
11-01-2010, 10:57 PM

**** no.

Colts01
11-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Unleash the dragon!

Dragon unleashed

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/djerc7/rexshirt.jpg

DannyMilk
11-01-2010, 11:44 PM
YAY! and I think I'm the only one so far to make a Campbell's new recipe (2 minute drill: Heavy gravy texture filled with mutton) joke...thoughts? haha

TheRealJosh
11-02-2010, 03:53 AM
I do remember those days. But this is different, as Shanahan now claims that McNabb's cardio conditioning was the reason he benched him.

Have fun Skins fans, when this season ends, you'll be without a starting QB and be stuck with Captain Queeg as Coach for four more years.

Ya that story seems to have changed now. I'm glad someone posted that picture b/c I didn't recall unleash the dragon.

KabaModernFan
11-02-2010, 01:10 PM
The plot thickens!! Unleash the...JaWalrus? http://bit.ly/cQemWz

Wordsworth
11-02-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't know if it's because Grossman has had a lot of experience as a starter or what. The guy has terrible career numbers, and for the large percentage of NFL fans and followers his name has become synonymous with ineptitude on offense. He had like four good games to start the 2006 season with the Bears, and that's it. Everything else has been a stunning display of failure. I don't know why he is still kept around. Probably for the same reason the Bears still have Todd Collins, and Jacksonville still has Todd Bouman. They have experience. Is that all it takes?

Cuz they all really f**king suck.

wxwax
09-19-2011, 07:43 PM
2 interceptions for Grossman against the Cardinals. He's reverting to his mean.

I think the Shanahans might be willing to live with his turnovers. I think that's because they believe he has more big plays in him than Beck. Beck is more cautious, more timid even, has a weaker arm and is less experienced.

It's a bit like having to choose between a hooker with syphilis and a hooker with gonorrhea. For now, the Shanahans are going to pick Grossman and hold their nose. They just don't have a lot of choices.

Amy
09-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Is there a reason you brought back a TheRealJosh post from the dead?? Please, please, for the love of everything good in the world create new ones and don't rez his!

GoBigOrGoHome
09-19-2011, 08:01 PM
wxwax wasn't here when TRJ was working his brand of idiocy is this forum. Is he the only poster ever banned here for being a jerkoff? We've had our fair share of jerkoffs. But TheRealJosh was the worst.

Andy Freeland
09-19-2011, 08:23 PM
wxwax wasn't here when TRJ was working his brand of idiocy is this forum. Is he the only poster ever banned here for being a jerkoff? We've had our fair share of jerkoffs. But TheRealJosh was the worst.

There have been 4 actual (non-spam) posters banned. The first 2 (the creatively named collinsworthless and collinsworthsucks) were each banned after their first post back on our 2nd or 3rd day of operation last year. Josh was the only one that started out normal then became ban-worthy (even the two Vikings' fans were never banned). The 4th was TRJ again, he signed up under a new name and reported a bunch of posts, trying to get others banned. He eventually learned to play nice after signing up with his 3rd username - darvon. Ok, I made that last part up, I thought the story needed a happy ending.

GoBigOrGoHome
09-19-2011, 08:36 PM
There have been 4 actual (non-spam) posters banned. The first 2 (the creatively named collinsworthless and collinsworthsucks) were each banned after their first post back on our 2nd or 3rd day of operation last year. Josh was the only one that started out normal then became ban-worthy (even the two Vikings' fans were never banned). The 4th was TRJ again, he signed up under a new name and reported a bunch of posts, trying to get others banned. He eventually learned to play nice after signing up with his 3rd username - darvon. Ok, I made that last part up, I thought the story needed a happy ending.

I forgot about those idiot Viqueens fans.

wxwax
10-19-2011, 02:28 PM
I had a sneaky feeling that Redskins-Eagles could be a make or break game for Rex Grossman. He's been a bit of a turnover machine and he went into high gear against Philly.

So now it's John Beck. His thumbnail portrait is that of a more cautious QB. More dump offs. Fewer deep throws. Possibly fewer picks. Definitely fewer fumbles. A bit more likely to run.

I suspect Grossman got the job because they thought his big play potential outweighed his documented propensity for throwing picks. They were wrong. He's going to throw a WTF pass every game.

Beck probably won't. But he may also be less incendiary in the other way: his offense may not catch fire. Let's hope he finds a way to extend his comfort zone.

Carson Palmer never looked so good.

wxwax
10-19-2011, 03:45 PM
After all those turnovers, after losing his starting job on two teams, Rex Grossman still doesn't understand the importance of taking care of the ball.

I'm flabbergasted to read of him saying this yesterday:

Grossman admitted that he gave an "unacceptable performance" against Philadelphia and that he perhaps need to change his mind-set when it comes to turnovers.

"The only thing I could do that could maybe encompass all turnovers - just have a little more conservative approach to the fact that, hey, turnovers are bad, but they're emotional mistakes that create emotion in the stands, create an odd emotion everywhere," Grossman said.

"Ultimately," he said, "I'm responsible for the ball."

What's this guy's IQ, anyway?