PDA

View Full Version : Week 8, Part 2: Randy

Amy
11-01-2010, 09:07 AM
The Randy Monologue was so interesting that I wanted to break it down and analyze it. Without further ado Randy Moss:

Randy: "I'm going to go ahead and start this thing off. I'm going to go ahead and say this. I think I said something a couple weeks ago. Look, I got fined $25,000 for not speaking to you all. Me personally, I really don't care. But at the same time, I do answer questions throughout the week. For the league to fine me $25,000, I'm not going to answer any more questions for the rest of this year. If it's going to be an interview, I'm going to conduct. So I'll answer my own questions. I'll ask myself the questions, then give y'all the answers. So from here on out, I'm not answering any more questions for the rest of this season. Enough said of that, now we'll get to the game.

Me: SpartaChris thought this sounded spoiled. It's not. The biggest fine handed out this past week in the NFL was to *Randy Moss* for "not making himself available to the media." One of his Vikings teammates was fined just 20k for nearly ripping a Packer's head off, and three other players were given 5k fines. In a league that is, allegedly, concerned about player safety, Moss leading the fines list is stupid. Fining guys for not talking to the media during the week is also stupid. I echo everything Randy said here, he has every right to be upset at the fine, and to have a chip against whatever media members cried to the NFL about Randy not wanting to talk on thier radio shows, or whatever. He's not the only Viking and you don't have to make everyone available. A media request is just that, a request. People can say no.

Randy: "Let me hold it down. Alright. I really haven't had a chance to talk to the guys, so this is no disrespect to the Minnesota Vikings and their organization. The captains, Wilfolk, Tommy Boy, Mayo, Kevin Faulk, man I miss them guys, man, I miss the team. It was hard for me to come here and play. It's been an up and down roller coaster emotionally for me all week. And then to be able to come in here and see those guys, running plays and I know what they're doing, and the success they had on the field, the running game, so I kind of know what type of feeling they have on their locker room, man. I just want to be able to tell the guys, I miss the hell out of them, every last helmet in that locker room.

Me: First thing - he's been a Viking for 3 weeks and hasn't really had a chance to talk to them. Can we say 'Favre and the Jets'. As in, 'I know I won't be here next year, so I don't care if I know any of you?' Second, he's definately wanting to be a Patriot - and no bridges have been burned. More on that later.

Randy: "I mean, Deion Branch came up to me after the game. I've never had a chance to meet Deion Branch, but it was definitely a pleasure to meet him. Coach Belichick, he gave me an opportunity to be a part of something special. That's something I really take to heart. I actually salute coach Belichick and his team and the success they've had before me, during me and after me. So I'm actually stuck for words, just because of the fact that, man, this is just, a lot of memories here. To the New England Patriots fans, that ovation at the end of the game, that really felt heart-warming. I think I actually shedded a tear for that.

Moss: Yay for the Pats fans at the game that gave him that ovation. Randy deserved it - also, it's pretty interesting that a guy who has always been called selfish gets that he was just a part of things here. I'm sensing a lot of regret from Moss, and I wonder if that trade was his wake up call, his 'oh crap' moment that might lead into an interesting resurgence for him.

Randy: "Like I said, it's been an emotional roller coaster all week. Tried to prepare, tried to talk to the players and coaches about how this game was going to be played, couple tendencies here and a couple tendencies here. The bad part about it, is you have six days to prepare for a team, and on the seventh day, that Sunday, meaning today, I guess they come over and say, 'Dag Moss, I guess you was right about a couple plays and a couple schemes they were going to run.' And it hurts as a player, that you put a lot of hard work in during the week, and at the end of the week, Sunday, when you get on the field, that's when they acknowledge about the hard work that you put in throughout the week. That's actually a disappointment.

Me: This is the key paragraph. It sounds like Randy went to Chilly, and Frazier, and the acrtress, er, Brett Favre, last week and was feeding them info on how the Pats would play and they blew him off. I think he's upset about that and rightfully so. I also get the feeling that Moss looks at Chilly and has the same 'WTF? How is this guy an NFL head coach?' thoughts that we fans do! Randy has the same sort of numbers that he had here this year, but they're not even trying the homeruns with him - you have to go to him deep twice a game, at least. Even if you miss them, the threat keeps 2+ defenders on him and helps everyone else.

Randy: "I can't really say enough about this team and this organization. I met with Mrs. Kraft before the game because I really didn't have a chance to talk to her before I left. I thanked Mrs. Kraft for letting me have the opportunity to be a part of something special. The New England Patriots have always been a special organization and I've always watched from afar.

Me: He went to look for Myra Kraft. How many 'selfish' players take time to look for the owner's wife of an old team to thank her. I've never seen Bob Kraft talk to any opposing player pregame before, and he went on the field to find Randy and so did BB. Brady beelined to Moss postgame for chat and hugs. No matter what certain media people said after the trade (Yes, Charley Casserly, I'm looking at you), there does not seem to be anyone upset with anyone here.

Randy: "When I got drafted by Minnesota, and I think I said this a couple weeks ago, I think I felt obligated to bring a Super Bowl to Minnesota. And this season is still not over. Do I know what next season and the future is going to bring? No, I do not. But all I can say is that it's a lot of work that we leave on the field each day.

Me: Translation: 'Sorry Vikings fans. I'm gone next year.' Does anyone else feel sorry for Vikings fans. They should have been a SuperBowl team in '98, but Denny Green took his foot of Atlanta's throat, and then they got Chilly for this era.

Randy: "There is a lot of film study that we leave in that room each day. I know how hard these guys work in New England and the only thing that I really tried to do was take what the best coach in football history has brought upon me, or the knowledge that he's given me about the game of football, and I tried to sprinkle it off to the guys the best way I know how. So I'm going to go ahead and end this interview, I have my family to see.

Me: Randy kills Chilly here. Not only does he basically say that Chilly doesn't do prep work, which is something Darren Sharper (an ex Viking, under Chilly) said before Week 1, when he was asked how the Saints prepped for the Vikings before the NFC Championship game. But, he also says he's trying to show Vikings players how a real coach does it - and then he ends with 'I'm going to see my family' In other words: 'Before flying back to the hell of my own creation, I'm going to go visit with the guys *from the team that just beat us!*' But, he has to zing once more:

Randy: "Definitely down that we lost this game because I didn't expect us to lose this game knowing that we had a few things that we had to clean up. But like I said, they played a good game. I wish we could have had that three at the end of the half. Maybe it could have been different. Maybe not. I don't know how many more times I'm going to be up here in New England, but I'm going to leave the New England Patriots, coach Belichick, man, with a salute. Man, I love you guys. I miss you. I'm out."

Me: Translation: "Dear Brad Childress, when you are a 2-4 team, playing a better team on the road, take the bleeping three at the half!" And he's right. Then more praise for the other team.

More me: I think Randy is in shock. I thought he thought that he was going to a competitor in a weaker conference and had a shot at the Super Bowl with them, then found out Brett's a shell of himself. And that his new HC is horrid.

Randy also wants a payday. He's never had that big free agent deal, and he wanted an extension with us with that sort of money and that wasn't gonna happen, so I think his idea for the trade was that he could put up Monster Numbers with #4 and get that deal.

Except: Favre is too badly hurt and Chilly doesn't know how to use Moss (or Harvin, or AP), and the Vikings D got as old as Favre since last January. So, Randy's getting the same defensive focus that he got in New England (his one handed TD on Revis Island in Week 2 shows he can still do it).

It's also a very overlooked part of the trade that Randy's deal was redone. I've said this before - they didn't add money, or time. No, Randy insisted, and the Vikings agreed, to add one clause to his Pats deal - that the Vikings cannot use any sort of Tag on Randy after the season, so he is going to be a free agent.

And, on November 1, 2010, here's my prediction. Randy goes into free agency in March, gets no monster offers - because of his rep - and in April or May resigns with the Pats. There have been no bridges burned, no animosity at all between Randy and the Pats. He was a locker room guy here, too. Randy finishes his career with 'Tommy Boy' and gets a ring by 2013. If we have a lockout in 2011, he and Brady spend a year practicing before that resinging.

Pruitt
11-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Hate, hate, HATE to say it, but it looks like once again, the Pats have proven that they are run by one of the smartest bunch of guys in sports.

Moss leaves New England and looks like Tory Holt in his final season while the Pats now have the best record in the league.

SpartaChris
11-01-2010, 11:10 AM
The Randy Monologue was so interesting that I wanted to break it down and analyze it. Without further ado Randy Moss:

Randy: "I'm going to go ahead and start this thing off. I'm going to go ahead and say this. I think I said something a couple weeks ago. Look, I got fined $25,000 for not speaking to you all. Me personally, I really don't care. But at the same time, I do answer questions throughout the week. For the league to fine me $25,000, I'm not going to answer any more questions for the rest of this year. If it's going to be an interview, I'm going to conduct. So I'll answer my own questions. I'll ask myself the questions, then give y'all the answers. So from here on out, I'm not answering any more questions for the rest of this season. Enough said of that, now we'll get to the game.

Me: SpartaChris thought this sounded spoiled. It's not. The biggest fine handed out this past week in the NFL was to *Randy Moss* for "not making himself available to the media." One of his Vikings teammates was fined just 20k for nearly ripping a Packer's head off, and three other players were given 5k fines. In a league that is, allegedly, concerned about player safety, Moss leading the fines list is stupid. Fining guys for not talking to the media during the week is also stupid. I echo everything Randy said here, he has every right to be upset at the fine, and to have a chip against whatever media members cried to the NFL about Randy not wanting to talk on thier radio shows, or whatever. He's not the only Viking and you don't have to make everyone available. A media request is just that, a request. People can say no.

I get what you're saying and that he was fined for not talking to the press, but his comment still screams of spoiled child throwing a tantrum to me.

Polishguy00
11-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I appreciate Moss for actually saying more than a lot of guys do. I think he is actually more honest than most of the interviewees out there. For some reason, we now expect these run of the mill answers and we often rip on guys who speak in the moment and with emotion.

SpartaChris
11-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Well Amy, you may get your wish- Randy Moss was released by the Vikings today, according to NFLNetwork: http://twitter.com/michaelombardi/statuses/29396962259

brauneyz
11-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Well Amy, you may get your wish- Randy Moss was released by the Vikings today, according to NFLNetwork: http://twitter.com/michaelombardi/statuses/29396962259

Holy crapola!!! Do we believe Lombardi?

ReaderM
11-01-2010, 03:17 PM

That is just freaking crazy.. how the heck do u give up 3rd round pick for him only to release less then a month later, especially considering that he his Harvin BF right now the way he opening the field up. You have to honestly think that after the fail of this year, the Vikings are cleaning house. Only way this makes sense at all

oh and Bill is once again a freaking genius

bluestree
11-01-2010, 03:39 PM
I like your analysis Amy, but I think you got one theing wrong when you said that Moss was going to a weaker division. Fact is the dysfunctional Vikings gave the Pats a good game till their usual fourth quarter meltdown. The Pats still face Green Bay, Chicago and Detroit, and will be lucky to win two out of those three. The east coast media bias always overates the Pats, Jets, Giants. I'm not much for making predictions but I'm confident Green Bay is a better team, even with all the starters they've lost, and with Stafford back and Suh becoming a force, Detroit is going to spend the back half of the season surprising people.

SpartaChris
11-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Holy crapola!!! Do we believe Lombardi?

Yup. His post game comments killed him apparently. Both Adam Schefter and Jay Glazer confirm the release on their respective twitter accounts.

So basically, the Vikings gave the Pats a 3rd round pick and cost themselves what's left of Moss' contract, provided no one claims him off waivers... I don't want to appear biased here, but what a truly retarded move!

At this point I wonder if someone will claim him and his salary off waivers. Will be interesting to be sure. God I hope it's NOT Green Bay.

Amy
11-01-2010, 05:05 PM
I like your analysis Amy, but I think you got one theing wrong when you said that Moss was going to a weaker division. Fact is the dysfunctional Vikings gave the Pats a good game till their usual fourth quarter meltdown. The Pats still face Green Bay, Chicago and Detroit, and will be lucky to win two out of those three. The east coast media bias always overates the Pats, Jets, Giants. I'm not much for making predictions but I'm confident Green Bay is a better team, even with all the starters they've lost, and with Stafford back and Suh becoming a force, Detroit is going to spend the back half of the season surprising people.

I'm on the record, often, as saying I think the Packers are a fine team. If they weren't as beat up as they are, they'd be the best in the NFC. But - how likely is it that more then one NFC North team makes the playoffs? Lions are a very nicely improving team, and the Vikings are dead in the water. The Packers should win that division. The Bears - who are they? Does anyone know, even Bears fans? I'd give the Bears 50/50 chance for postseason. I'm very much looking forward to Pats/Pack. It'll be a real test for both teams and should be an excellent game.

As for the AFC East - Jets and Pats will be in the playoffs and if either Pittsburg or Baltimore flame out, the Dolphins could too. It's not likely, but we could send three to the playoffs.

It's not an east coast thing at all: AFC East: 6-1, 5-2, 4-3, 0-7, NFC North: 5-2, 4-3, 2-5, 2-5. So 15-13 for the AFC East (with the Bills!) vs 13-15 for NFC North. The AFC East is, top to bottom, the better division.

TheRealJosh
11-01-2010, 06:48 PM
I appreciate Moss for actually saying more than a lot of guys do. I think he is actually more honest than most of the interviewees out there. For some reason, we now expect these run of the mill answers and we often rip on guys who speak in the moment and with emotion.

Holy insightful thought, Polishman! So true. As an add-on, athletes aren't trained orators.

bluestree
11-02-2010, 10:11 AM
So 15-13 for the AFC East (with the Bills!) vs 13-15 for NFC North. The AFC East is, top to bottom, the better division.

Two games. Meh. A couple bounces of the ball. Looking forward to the rest of the matchups. Nice breakdown, Amy.