PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 ... Bottom 5

Turk Schonert
11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Top 10 Week #9

1. New England - Best all around team right now, defense continues to improve, winning without Brady putting up monster numbers
2. Baltimore - Another solid all around team
3. Pittsburgh - Ben still feeling his way back, losing DE Aaron Smith hurts
4. NY Giants - Coming off bye week with a lot of momentum, defense is playing aggressive and fast, Eli is on his 'A' game
5. NY Jets - Last years Mark Sanchez showed up the last two weeks, what will Rex do?
6. Atlanta - Coming off bye week, big show down at home vs Tampa this week
7. Indy - Peyton always gives them a chance, but a lack of a run game and the TE situation could haunt them down the road
8. Green Bay - Love their grit!!
9. Tennessee - I like their defense and Chris Johnson scares people
10. Philadelphia - Coming off bye, get Vick back

**Saints have to put consecutive winning efforts together to get back into top 10
**Chiefs not that impressive vs Bills
**Miami & Oakland are hovering to get in
**Tampa has to beat a good team to get in

Bottom 5

5. Cincinnati - Something is missing in Bengals land
4. Buffalo - They're playing hard and playing better, they just need a break to get into the win column, back to back OT losses to first place teams. Love their effort!
3. Denver - Won only 3 of their last 18 games under McDaniels, something needs to change
2. Dallas - Players look like they have thrown in the towel on this season, and that is unacceptable!!
1. Carolina - Worst offense in the league, can't score. At least they are playing hard, unlike the Cowboys

Amy
11-02-2010, 01:42 PM
My top 5 are based a lot on what the playoff seedings would be if the season ended today.

AFC: Pats, Ravens, Indy, KC, Jets, Steelers (the KC - Indy game is huge right now, since the Colts own the tiebreaker. The team it impacts the most, though, is Pitt, since that makes Indy the 3 and not the weaker Chiefs)
NFC: Giants, Falcons, Packers, Seahawks, Bucs, Saints. NFC South is looking very solid.

So, my top 5:

Pats
Giants
Ravens
Falcons
Colts.

No Steelers. Why? First, they are 0-2 vs playoff teams. Second, they're a 4-3 team, realistically. While they got the gift win, they need to be assessed from a more realistic PoV. If the Steelers show up in Week 10 vs the Pats and Week 13 vs the Ravens, and win at least one of those two games, I may think they're good. But, when you don't beat the good teams while getting the calls every game, you're not a top 5 team. Or if the Titans make a playoff push, that would give Pittsburg a win against a playoff team, but I don't think the Titans will.

Indy makes my 5 spot for a simple reason. I don't see Pitt winning in Indy, I can see the Saints winning in Green Bay.

Pruitt
11-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Nice to see the Browns off the list.

As for Turk's comments regarding the Chiefs, Sunday's game was the first time I've seen them play and I am very conflicted.

On the one hand, Their defence looks decent and they are a well drilled team that seems to avoid big mistakes. A great running team, and say what you will about Haley, he's brought in a Defensive Coordinator who has a nice bag of tricks.

On the other hand, Cassell isn't a very inspiring player and they were very very lucky to win that game.

But all things considered, this was a 3-13 team last season. It gives hope to all Browns and Bills fans that turnarounds CAN happen in the NFL.

BMW
11-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Its good to know Detroit isnt in that bottom 5 officially. Hopefully the momentum will keep the Jets and them close this weekend

iwatt
11-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Ok, in the Blog I posted my SoS schedule, based on my EW stat, so I'll use that for my rankings.

The ranking is:

Steelers: They lost against a Superbowl winning team in a must game win that doesn't really affect them. Also, their remaining SoS is very easy. Plus they're going to destroy the Bungles.
Patriots: They look like the best right about now, but they have a very tough schedule ahead.
Colts: When your 4th string RB still busts runs for 10+ yards, it means Manning can make anybody look good. And unleashing Freeney is unfair.
Jets: They took a hit yesterday, but they still are at the top of the standings.
Giants: Not playing didn't hurt them one bit.
Chiefs: They have a solid chance of taking the divisiion, because San Diego would have to win all 8 games left. Unlikely with the way they've been playing.
Ravens: Not playing for a week made us forget the fact that they almost lost to the Bills.
Buccaneers: Josh Freeman is a gamer.
Falcons: Not playing hurt them, as the Bucs looked better and the Saints improved. It's a 3 horse race now.
Texans: The second best team in the best division of football deserves some respect.

Broncos: two losses to mediocre teams don't bode well for the fu8ture hopes of this team.
Forty-Niners: Trending up, but still a bottom feeder.
Cowboys: Loosing to the Jags?
Panthers: Matt Moore isn't the answer.
Bills: The best 0-7 team I have ever seen.

DannyMilk
11-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Who would've thought Dallas, not Detroit or STL, would be in the bottom 5 after 8 weeks...geesh

Polishguy00
11-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Bears not mentioned in either list, not that they should be. Unpredictable mediocrity is how we roll.

Top 5: New England, Baltimore, Indy, Jets, Pittsburgh

Amy
11-02-2010, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=iwatt;28221]Ok, in the Blog I posted my SoS schedule, based on my EW stat, so I'll use that for my rankings.

The ranking is:

Steelers: They lost against a Superbowl winning team in a must game win that doesn't really affect them. Also, their remaining SoS is very easy. Plus they're going to destroy the Bungles.

It absolutely affects them. The AFC North plays the AFC East and the NFC South this year. The third playoff tiebreaker is common opponents. So, every loss against the AFC East and NFC South has playoff implications for the Ravens and Steelers. Not the Browns or Bengals, since they are not playoff teams. Even more importantly, though, if you only play a few good teams in the regular season, and you lose to them - which is the Steelers MO this year, you tend to be one and done in the playoffs. See 2009 New England Patriots as a very very recent example of this.

Colts01
11-03-2010, 12:37 AM
[B][U]Bottom 5

[2. Dallas - Players look like they have thrown in the towel on this season, and that is unacceptable!!

With Benny Hill (for us old guys) to help sum up the cowboys season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=airOuFuZVr8&feature=player_embedded

iwatt
11-03-2010, 08:47 AM
It absolutely affects them. The AFC North plays the AFC East and the NFC South this year. The third playoff tiebreaker is common opponents. So, every loss against the AFC East and NFC South has playoff implications for the Ravens and Steelers. Not the Browns or Bengals, since they are not playoff teams. Even more importantly, though, if you only play a few good teams in the regular season, and you lose to them - which is the Steelers MO this year, you tend to be one and done in the playoffs. See 2009 New England Patriots as a very very recent example of this.

We'll see who is for real tin week 10! I'm very exited for that game, even though I'll have to stay up to 2 AM to see it. :D

Turk Schonert
11-03-2010, 09:40 AM
With Benny Hill (for us old guys) to help sum up the cowboys season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=airOuFuZVr8&feature=player_embedded

Don't know if I would of made it through college without Benny Hill

Polishguy00
11-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Benny Hill themed sports follies just never get old. Ever. That, and the old time music from NFL films productions.

Bengals1181
11-03-2010, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=iwatt;28221]Ok, in the Blog I posted my SoS schedule, based on my EW stat, so I'll use that for my rankings.

The ranking is:

AFC North is playing the AFC East THIS year.

iwatt
11-03-2010, 07:27 PM
The Steelers are the best team in football.

The Steelers have faced a combined opp record of .660, which is why they have a .710 record
The Pats have played a .470 opp record, and have a .860 record

If you correct each record for an average SoS, you have that the Steelers would have a .937 record, while the Pats would have a .808 schedule.

I'm not diminishing the achievements of the Pats, and you can only play whoever is on your schedule. Fortunately they have a faceoff in 2 weeks, which should clarify things for everybody.