PDA

View Full Version : Do the Bills have good coaching staff?

TheRealJosh
11-08-2010, 09:48 AM
I've only gotten to see a few games by the Bills. The Packers blew them out, the PHins, and the Bears last week.
Based only on those games I believe they have a competent coaching staff. When they played GB, all of GB's starters weren't on IR. They didn't seem to run bad plays. I'm hoping for some thoughts from Bills fans.

Swami
11-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm liking the Gailey regime. Decent O even with mediocre QB. Zero talent on D. As Wade Philips might say, the Bills are the best 0-8 team in the league.

TheRealJosh
11-08-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm liking the Gailey regime. Decent O even with mediocre QB. Zero talent on D. As Wade Philips might say, the Bills are the best 0-8 team in the league.

I had thought Gailey was done in the NFL, guess KC wishes they had kept him as an OC last year.

iwatt
11-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Gailey is a solid Offensive mind, whose team is overperforming through Chutzpah and correct play calling.

ZambianBillsFan
11-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Gailey's okay so far, better than Jauron by a long shot (Jauron would have punted on our last possession yesterday). With him you can see we are heading some where, taking chances, finding a way to positively use Roscoe Parrish, Steve Johnson, and just in general playing harder. We've been in it our last three, loosing by a combined score of 9 points on the road, so you know the guys are playing hard.
The problem is with the front office. They are the ones inept at evaluating and keeping talent around. We don't have a QB, god bless him, he's miles ahead of Trentative, but Fitz is not the answer with 3 minutes remaining in the the fourth, not with that O-Line.
We maybe 0-8 but we are playing hard, and we will not finish 0-16.

trh5001
11-09-2010, 10:27 AM
I think gailey has gotten better as the year goes by. If we had fitzpatrick at qb the first 2 games instead of edwards I think the packers game would have been closer and the dolphins game could have been a potential win(wouldn't have waited till the 4th to attack the secondary). That being said gailey is fine for the offense but this defense is horrible and I have to believe part of its through the coaching as the players didn't change much from last year to this year but this defense is no where near what they were last year.

iwatt
11-09-2010, 10:45 AM
I think gailey has gotten better as the year goes by. If we had fitzpatrick at qb the first 2 games instead of edwards I think the packers game would have been closer and the dolphins game could have been a potential win(wouldn't have waited till the 4th to attack the secondary). That being said gailey is fine for the offense but this defense is horrible and I have to believe part of its through the coaching as the players didn't change much from last year to this year but this defense is no where near what they were last year.

It was the decision to go the 3-4 without the NT for it. That killed this defense. They were already weak against the run last year, though brilliant in pass defense. This year they still are weak in run defense, but their pass defense dissapeared. That's because they don't have the personnel for the 3-4. A 3-4 is based on a massive NT, and at least one elite OLB, or an elite DC that can scheme up a pass rush.

trh5001
11-09-2010, 10:58 AM
The 3-4 may be part of it but this secondary has played horribly and I don't think that has anything to do with scheme the couldn't rush the passer last year either. Also the last couple of weeks they have been lining up in the 3-4 less as they have admitted it wasn't working.

iwatt
11-09-2010, 11:11 AM
The 3-4 may be part of it but this secondary has played horribly and I don't think that has anything to do with scheme the couldn't rush the passer last year either. Also the last couple of weeks they have been lining up in the 3-4 less as they have admitted it wasn't working.

But the damage was done. I think the problem is that they were so weak against the run that your DBs were playing on the box. That's were they get killed by the pass. Merriman should get you some pass rush, and that will allow your DBs not to have to cover for 6 seconds.

trh5001
11-09-2010, 11:29 AM
I guess I could believe that but relying on merriman may not be a good solution as he is likely a one year rental and this year is shot. Also how does cutler have all day to throw the ball that's just embarissing on every level.

Pruitt
11-09-2010, 12:55 PM
I have hated the Gailey hire since day one, but I'm beginning to think that he is doing a pretty good job. This roster is atrocious and the fact that the team is still fighting hard is a tribute to him.

Nix on the other hand...

iwatt
11-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I guess I could believe that but relying on merriman may not be a good solution as he is likely a one year rental and this year is shot. Also how does cutler have all day to throw the ball that's just embarissing on every level.

Pretty sure Merriman will have a good showing.

trh5001
11-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Oh I wouldn't be surprised if merriman got 8-9 sacks in the games he plays but I doubt his willingness to play in buffalo past this year and I doubt the teams willingness to franchise him(it just isnt the teams style).