PDA

View Full Version : Week 9

Amy
11-08-2010, 11:50 AM
The Browns game was disappointing to say the least. While the Browns O played well, for the most part, the Pats O - specifically Gronk! - killed themselves.

The Browns also benefited from some very iffy calls. Two TDs were not TDs. The one that put them up 17-7, the direct snap to that wideout, was clearly not a legal play. None of the line were set, the left tackle wasn't covered and *5* Browns were in motion at the snap. Yet, somehow, neither of the two backfield officials tosses a flag. How?? Is it really that hard to find 90 officials for the NFL?

McCoy was down at the 1, as well, on that amazing scramble. That's less an issue, except for Hillis fantasy owners. but still. On a side note, can we get rid of the inane pylon rule and the plane of the goal?

The score in this game is very deceiving. You see '34-14' and you think domination, but the Browns were lucky. Sometimes that happens. This was a game where certain Pats totally failed to execute. On D we missed Chung - James Sanders is not an every down player anymore, and on O we still miss Moss. Welker was double covered all day long and the utter failure to bench Gronk made that issue worse.

The game starts with the Browns putting together a decent FG drive. On the ensuing kickoff the Browns kick to about the 22 - this was consistent all day, except for the second half opening kickoff all the Browns kickoff were between the 20 and 30. Gronk signals for a fair catch and then he makes *no attempt* to catch the ball! Morris is confused, thinking that Gronk's gonna make the catch, backs off to give him room, and the ball hits the ground and the Browns get it. They score 2 plays later and it's 10-0.

Now, if Gronk was a *defensive player* he's benched here, but, he's not.

Our first drive is a 3 and our. Green-Ellis for 3, and then two throws to Gronk - 5 yards on 2nd and 7, 9 yards on 3rd and 7. Both times he *drops* them, the thrid down pass play he's wide open. Drives ended by drops: 1.

The next three possessions we start them down 10-0.

Drive 2: Green-Ellis for 2, then Branch for 10. First down. Two runs for Green Ellis for 1 yard, net, then Brady overthrows a well covered Woodhead on 3rd. We punt.

Drive 3: Brady to Gronk, drop. (3 targets, 3 drops, and a caused fumble, so far). Green Ellis for 5, and then a miss to a well covered Tate. Punt.

Drive 4: We do something. Brady gets sacked on first down. On 2nd and 22 Gronk makes a 22 yard catch and run. Woodhead picks up 7, Brady misses Welker, then hits Woodhead for 19 on 3rd and 3. Woodhead and Green Ellis run for 9 yards on the next 3 plays and on 4th and 1, we choose to not kick a Fg from the 24, and go for it. Morris picks up 22, for a first and goal. Green Ellis gets 1, then on second down Brady throws to Gronk (??) it goes off his hands and Hernandez makes an amazing catch for a TD. We're back in it!

The Browns get the illegal TD on this drive, so we start down 17-7.

Drive 5: Brady misses Branch, but the Browns were offside. 1st and 5. Woodhead goes for 5 then 0, Welker picks up 4, and then Hernandez gets 22.. Woodhead runs for 3 more, Welker catches 2 for 21 total. Then Gronk - and the Refs! -strike again. Gronk catches a pass on first and goal. :45 on the clock, Pats have 2 timeouts. Browns stand him up at the 2, stop him dead. No Whistle! Why??? But, he also doesn't go down, and the Browns wisely strip him.

Halftime: 17-7 Browns. 5 drives. 2 ended by Gronk not holding onto the ball. At the Half, Gronk has caused a 10-14 point swing in the game. It could have been 10-10, or 14-10 Pats, instead of 17-7 Browns. Yet, for some reason he plays in the second half.

Second Half: We get the ball first. Time to get back into the game. Or not.

Drive 6: Hernadez for 10, 2 Woodhead runs for 17, Hernandez incomplete - that pass was defended, then Aaron gets called for false start. 2nd and 15. Incomplete to Tate, then a *drop* on 3rd down by Hernandez. 6 drives, 3 ended by drops. 1 second half drive hindered by an iffy call 4 plays in.

Drive 7: We're down 24-7 now. Brady hits Gronk for 13 then Branch for 11. Woodhead goes for 3, and then gets thrown to incomplete. And, on play 4 - Holding offense. 2nd and 17. Brady then dumps off to Gronk for 5, and then on 3rd and 12 Tate drops a first down pass. 7 drives, 4 ended by drops. 2 second half drive hindered by iffy calls 4 plays in.

Drive 8: 27-7. Brady to Woodhead for 11, then he runs for 0. Woodhead joins the drop fest, but on 3rd and 10 Tate makes a 12 yard catch, then Branch for 10. Then, yes, a penalty. This one was huge! Branch is wide open, catches the ball and is racing for a big play TD when - flags come down - after the catch!!! After it - for - OPI? No. False start. On Branch. After the catch. Rich Gannon was livid in the booth. Brady tosses inc to Welker and Woodhead, and then hits Hernandez for 13 on 3rd and 15 and Welker for 8 on 4th and 2. Hernandez drops the next pass (drop 5 on the day), then incomplete to Welker, then a drop by Gronk (drop 6, why is he still playing?), then a drop, in the endzone, by Gronk on 4th down (drop 7). DPI gives the Pats a first and goal, and Hernandez makes it 27-14 on second down. Brown make it 34-14.

Drive 9: We pull Brady. Hoyer throws incomplete to Aaron, then a laser to Edellmann. Julian, however, lets Wright rip it out of his hands for a pick. Great play by Wright.

Browns run clock, Hoyer kneels, game.

Balance: 41 pass, 21 run, including the kneel down.

Running: Green Ellis never really got going, Woodhead, though, was fine. We didn't have the chance to get BJGE the early carries he needs to get the second half carries which is where he excelles.

Passing; Drops. 8 Drops. 8. 4 by Gronk. (that could easily be 9 and 6, if you wanna count the endzone deflecection as a drop). Gronk played horrible and bluntly cost the Pats the game. The Pats moved the ball at will from the second quarter on. We went hurry up and the Browns never adjusted. But, we beat ourselves with drops. Three of the drops were on 3rd down and the person in question was open and the ball was on target. 3 drives ending early.

Gronk: 8 targets, 3 catches, 4 drops. 1 fumble directly made, 1 more caused by bonehead play. Scored 7 for Cleveland and stole 3, at least, from the Pats. Horrible, horrible, game.

Hernandez: 9 targets, 5 catches, 2 drops, 2 TD. Aaron is coming along nicely.

Branch: 4 targets, 2 catches. Why was Gronk getting targets? Branch was playing better. Even gimpy.

Welker: 6 targets, 4 catches. Wes was his normal relaible self. And an XP

Tate: 4 targets, 1 catch, 1 drop (one pass defended, and one overthrow). More on him in a moment.

Woodhead: 5 targets, 2 catches, 1 drop. His catches were good ones, and he had great runs. Good game.

Overall, except for the drops, we played well. This was not a trap game, the Pats were ready. The defense did let up in the second half, but I really can't blame them. It's hard to go all out when you see the O killing itself - and being killed by some bad officiating - over and over.

We also had 2 iffy coaching decisions. One was leaving Gronk in. Tate got benched this year for muffing a punt in the wind. Gronk played like he was a Brown and yet was never benched. Second was the Welker kickoff. Gostkowski hurt his thigh - not sure how - and Welker kicked the second XP. That was fine, but then we let him - and not Zoltan - kick off. It was a bad kick off, and let the Browns go up 20.

The officials in this game were meh. Not only did they gift the Browns two TDs, but they stole one from the Pats, and what calls they were making - against both teams - were very iffy.

What we need: Tate. We need to hand Tate the 9 routes Moss ran, and have him run them. Take those deep shots 2 times a quarter like we did with Randy. Tate can make a lot of those plays and that will open up BJGE and Welker more.

Frustrating loss, but it was fluky. Browns might be dangerous next year with a better D. They have the O in place, with McCoy and Hillis (thanks Denver!)

iwatt
11-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Now, if Gronk was a *defensive player* he's benched here, but, he's not.

I've been thinking about this, and the reason finally hit me: Protection schemes. Hernandez isn't a blocker, and Crumpler probably wasn't up to par. Maybe they should have gone ahead and benched him anyways, but it's not like there is a lot of depth at the position.

msclemons
11-08-2010, 01:48 PM
This is why I like Amy. That is a perfect autopsy of a game gone wrong.

My response would have been: "@&$&! 49ers suck! Kill Alex! $@&$&! Where's my dang beer?"

Amy
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
I've been thinking about this, and the reason finally hit me: Protection schemes. Hernandez isn't a blocker, and Crumpler probably wasn't up to par. Maybe they should have gone ahead and benched him anyways, but it's not like there is a lot of depth at the position.

Crumpler has been doing an amazing job blocking all season long. He doesn't get many passes, but he's teaching the young guys and laying guys out. Alge's been great on this team in ways that don't show up on stat lines or highlight reels. Wonderful signing.

Pruitt
11-09-2010, 02:11 PM
A deeply satisfying read.

iwatt
11-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Crumpler has been doing an amazing job blocking all season long. He doesn't get many passes, but he's teaching the young guys and laying guys out. Alge's been great on this team in ways that don't show up on stat lines or highlight reels. Wonderful signing.

Agreed. It is not often that an off-season pickup becomes a team Captain.

mkocs6
11-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Amy, I don't mean to be a snark, but I have a few complaints:

(1) I have watched the highlight of the Stuckey touchdown several times; no one is in motion at the snap. Also, offensive linemen are in no way required to enter a three point stance. Most tackles don't on obvious passing downs. They have seven on the scrimmage line and it is a legal play.

(2) If the Browns were lucky--and they certainly caught a few breaks, such as the bizarre kickoff fumble, the Gronk fumble before the half--then the Patriots had some good luck with that first Hernandez touchdown. That was a deflection that soared into the air before Hernandez made a great catch.

(3) You seem to be letting the McCoy TD go, so I will too. But the Browns rushed for 230 yards on Sunday, outgained the Pats 404-283 total. The Pats were in 3rd and long all day, only 3/11 converting. Only had the ball for 21 minutes.

I don't think you'd get the same result if you played the game another nine times. Similarly, though, I don't think you can look at a stat line like this, especially if you watched the game, and call this a fluke. Cleveland pushed New England around, at least on this particular day.

[Going to duck.] :)

Polishguy00
11-10-2010, 07:01 AM
I will only say that the Stuckey play was absolutely legal and a cousin to the play the middle schoolers in Texas pulled off, and if someone has not seen it, please do. It was great. A mentor got pushed around by his protege in this one and nothing else. I want to see how another physical team does against the Pats before I decide if that style of play may be their downfall. Hey, look , the Steelers are coming to town!

Amy
11-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Amy, I don't mean to be a snark, but I have a few complaints:

(2) If the Browns were lucky--and they certainly caught a few breaks, such as the bizarre kickoff fumble, the Gronk fumble before the half--then the Patriots had some good luck with that first Hernandez touchdown. That was a deflection that soared into the air before Hernandez made a great catch.

(3) You seem to be letting the McCoy TD go, so I will too. But the Browns rushed for 230 yards on Sunday, outgained the Pats 404-283 total. The Pats were in 3rd and long all day, only 3/11 converting. Only had the ball for 21 minutes.

I don't think you'd get the same result if you played the game another nine times. Similarly, though, I don't think you can look at a stat line like this, especially if you watched the game, and call this a fluke. Cleveland pushed New England around, at least on this particular day.

[Going to duck.] :)

No need to duck :)

2) You are totally correct. I gave that to Aaron as a target and catch as I suspect Gronk ran the wrong route. It could have been scored, I think, as a Gronk target, though, and another failed Gronk catch.

3) McCoy didn't score the TD, but there's no reason to believe that the Browns wouldn't punch it in. So, while as a fan I'm annoyed that the ref blew another call, those points would still have been scored. It sucks for Hillis fantasy owners.

Yes, the Browns had a great running game, especially in the second half. They were able to because of the lead - and the lead was there because of Patriot miscues, most notably wide open 3rd down drops, and Gronk's two fumbles.

I'm not saying the Browns played bad. They didn't. But, the Pats moved the ball easily once we went hurry up, and our own errors (and iffy penalities) derailed us. *If* Mangenius is smart enough to stick with McCoy for the rest of this season, I think that the Browns will be a very very scary team next year.

And, I hope the beat the Jets this week :)