PDA

View Full Version : Week 12

Amy
11-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Lions played well, until they melted down in the 4th. For a while, it looked like we'd drop this game. I'm glad we didn't, but I'd rather lose to the 2-8 teams then to the playoff ones, since those hurt for tiebreakers in the playoffs.

Balance: 26 run, 31 passes. Balance is very good this season.

Runs:

BGJE had a signtature TD run for our first score, Tate had a great end around. Our running game may not be flashy, but it's very solid.

Passing:

Welker: 10 targets, 9 catches, 2 TDs. His one miss was a drop, and one catch was negated by penalty.
Gronk: 5 targets, 5 catches.
Branch: 5 targets, 3 catches, 2 TD. His 79 yard TD was an amazing play.
Woodhead: 4 targets, 3 catches. One of his catches was negated by penalty, and his miss was from a DPI that got us a first down, so it wasn't a negative play.
Tate: 2 targets, 0 catches, 1 drop. We need to use Tate more, see below.
Hernandez: 1 target, 1 catch.
Crumpler: 1 target, 1 catch.

Tom was sacked once, and had one ball batted down incomplete.

Concerns:

I have three:

1. Lack of a pass rush. We need to pick this up somehow, though I don't know how we can.
2. Kickoffs. Graham's been terrible at them. Reliable for FGs, but I don't think he has one touchback on kickoffs. Mesko, and his monster leg, needs to take this over. Kickoffs fielded at the 10, then returned 20 yards, will cost us in the playoffs.
3. Tate/Hernandez. They've vanished. While I think Aaron is because teams are covering him more, leaving Gronk open, we're not giving Tate enough chances. 6 targets in 3 games is not good. We've got to get him involved more, so that teams don't start to double Wekler, like I think the Jets will do.

12/6 is the biggest Pats game of the season. If we lose, we're playing for the wildcard, since the Jets will have a 2 game lead with 4 to go. If we win, we're in the drivers seat for the #1 seed. IMO, the winner of that game has to be considered the favorite for the Super Bowl for the AFC.

Current playoff seating: AFC 5 seed.
Current Wildcard matchup: Unknown, pending Sunday games.

Pruitt
11-27-2010, 11:23 AM
L
Concerns:

I have three:

1. Lack of a pass rush. We need to pick this up somehow, though I don't know how we can.
2. Kickoffs. Graham's been terrible at them. Reliable for FGs, but I don't think he has one touchback on kickoffs. Mesko, and his monster leg, needs to take this over. Kickoffs fielded at the 10, then returned 20 yards, will cost us in the playoffs.
3. Tate/Hernandez. They've vanished. While I think Aaron is because teams are covering him more, leaving Gronk open, we're not giving Tate enough chances. 6 targets in 3 games is not good. We've got to get him involved more, so that teams don't start to double Wekler, like I think the Jets will do.

Oh Amy - as a fan of two terrible teams, let me assure you that those aren't "concerns", those are just minor issues that the Pats - having a good coaching staff - will have fixed in no time. After all, they've got 10 days to correct them.

Now then, not having an NFL calibre Defensive Lineman or Wide Receiver... that's a "concern".

Your Pats were never in danger of losing this game. They absorbed what the ions threw at them and then backhanded them out of the way.

Andy Freeland
11-27-2010, 12:28 PM
I'll throw another concern at you. I watched Shayne Graham for many years here in Cincinnati, and I can tell you, he is the anti-Vinatieri. He's a good kicker when there's little on the line. But he falls apart on high pressure kicks, the kind that win playoff games.

imiweli
11-28-2010, 02:59 AM
Graham will cost us a game soon, and he's horrible on kickoffs
I'm worred Hernandez may have hit the rookie wall, since the Cleveland game he has fallen off dramatically - Gronk has stepped up maybe thats why

msclemons
11-28-2010, 03:28 AM
I wouldn't worry about Hernandez - he looked ok against the Lions. Now that the Pats offense has gone back to 2004 you'll see receivers disappear at times. Brady is spreading the ball around so much there just isn't enough for everyone to shine every game.