PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "Football" Movie

DannyMilk
07-07-2010, 04:51 AM
I put football in quotes because I'm thinking a lot of those movies are about a lot more than football. I would put this as a poll, but there are too many to choose from. I think for me it's a tie, which is such a lame way to start, so I apologize in advance haha. I live in Chicago, and I'm Irish, so it's a tie between Brian's Song and Rudy. As Adam Carolla would ask, "What Say You?"

Wordsworth
07-07-2010, 06:30 AM
The Program. Not a lot of people have seen it but do yourself a favor and get a copy. Any Given Sunday is wildly entertaining but completely unrealistic. I do like to watch it sometimes though.

davethepanther
07-07-2010, 07:45 AM
All The Right Move.... Tom Cruise coming out party. Though he did star in Taps too.

wade
07-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Rudy is an excellent movie, for comedy I always liked Goldie Hawn in Wildcats (I know, its an odd movie), and I will have to agree with Wordsworth and Any Given Sunday was a good entertainment.

Kosar19
07-07-2010, 09:11 AM
I really like Remember the Titans. Football movies are hard, baseball movies are always better.

buzmeg
07-07-2010, 09:34 AM
I put football in quotes because I'm thinking a lot of those movies are about a lot more than football. I would put this as a poll, but there are too many to choose from. I think for me it's a tie, which is such a lame way to start, so I apologize in advance haha. I live in Chicago, and I'm Irish, so it's a tie between Brian's Song and Rudy. As Adam Carolla would ask, "What Say You?"

John Madden (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0534603/): I love to see a fat guy score.
Pat Summerall (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0838619/): Why?
John Madden (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0534603/): Because first you get a fat guy spike, then you get the fat guy dance.

From "The Replacements"

Not a great movie, but every time I catch it on the tube for some reason I'm forced to stop and watch it again.

Loved John Favreau as Bateman.

Kosar19
07-07-2010, 09:44 AM
I love the fact that Reeves plays "Flacco"...Who knew we would end up with a Flacco in the NFL?

FLPackerFan
07-07-2010, 10:36 AM
All of those movies were great. One that I really enjoy is "Everybody's All American" with Dennis Quaid, Jessica Lange, and John Goodman. I love the game of football and all the greats that played the game in the past. This movie kind of shows what is was like in the old days.

Pruitt
07-07-2010, 10:52 AM
I hate "Brian's Song" because it made me cry for a week when I was a kid.

I vote for the original "Longest Yard" featuring Ray Nitschke.

GBPKS
07-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Necessary Roughness...

jeffwaytowich
07-07-2010, 11:25 AM
North Dallas Forty

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079640/

Andy Freeland
07-07-2010, 11:37 AM
I've never been a fan of fictional sports movies. I always feel like I'm watching an episode of little rascals. The rag tag group of misfits pulls it out at the end. The great thing about sports is that the miraculous ending can happen, but usually doesn't. There is no melodrama, no convenient plot twist. If the impossible does happen, it's not because some writer manipulated us for 90 minutes before the miracle. That's why my favorite sports movies are always non-fiction. In football that means 'Brian's Song', a magnificent movie, and a distant 2nd is 'Rudy'.

jeffwaytowich
07-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Can we all agree it's not the Replacements?

GiantsFaninToronto
07-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Necessary Roughness...

Indeed. I'd like to find it on Blu Ray. Kathy Ireland was my first love, too! ;)

Wordsworth
07-07-2010, 02:37 PM
I love the fact that Reeves plays "Flacco"...Who knew we would end up with a Flacco in the NFL?

He plays Falco ;-)

Jdemuesy
07-07-2010, 02:42 PM
No love for Any Given Sunday? The bonus in that movie, since its directed by Oliver Stone, if you pay close enough attention, you find out who REALLY killed Kennedy.

Jetsfan
07-07-2010, 02:54 PM
I love Brians song. From a true story standpoint ya can't beat it. From a comedy standpoint the original Longest yard does it for me.

DaBearsFan
07-07-2010, 02:56 PM
The Longest Yard (1974 version)

"We've come too far together to stop now. For Granny. For Nate. For Caretaker. Let's do it!"

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot Brian's Song. That was really good too. Though I still think I'd have to go with Longest Yard, a very close second to that one.

Jetsfan
07-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Hey man why you copying me? lol

Jdemuesy
07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Best part about Brian's Song? Made for TV movie...never in theatres! Wish I could say the same for The Replacements. I want my $7.50 back, Keanu.

OverTheTop
07-07-2010, 03:53 PM
The Waterboy!!!

ScottDCP
07-07-2010, 04:24 PM
The Waterboy!!!

Finally someone who sees it the way I do.

While it's hard to say it's better than ND40 and The Longest Yard (the newer one just doesn't count), it's not impossible, if only because of Blake Clark.

DannyMilk
07-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Love all of these posts guys...Just recently fell in love with All the Right Moves (Simmons/Carolla...It's a great timepiece movie as well), and I just watched the Program last week for the first time in years, and it didn't lose much of it's greatness and unintentional comedy. I've never seen Any Given Sunday, as blasphemous as that is...I've heard nothing but great things, along with a lot of folks saying it's the best football movie ever. When I was thinking about making a poll, even though I quickly realized there were far too many, I thought about the Waterboy as well, being a "90's" kid haha. I've tried to watch the Replacements a couple times. I give it a C, and probably wouldn't watch it unless Favreau was in it, seeing as he's one of my idols. Also, I hate K.R. (can't even say that lousy actors name...seriously)

DannyMilk
07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Another one I am SHOCKED hasn't been mentioned is Varsity Blues...and I'd throw my favorite quote out there, but I think Andy would kick me off the site...maybe I'll censor myself..."You're Daddy was a no-talent *us**, but at least he listened" haha

Dave Lapham
07-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Brian's Song---"I love Brian Piccolo", great movie on a lot of levels. Remember The Titans is another one when I start to watch I have to finish. I like football movies based in large part on true stories even though Hollywood takes minor liberties.

Chilly
07-08-2010, 01:15 AM
I personally thought "Friday Night Lights" was an incredibly well-done 'football' movie, in terms of the actual football clips and story.

"Remember the Titans" is my favorite movie of all-time, but the actual 'football' in it is extremely poor

"The Blind Side" might be the worst movie I've seen the past three years--but what can you expect when you clip together offensive line highlights....

TheLinc
07-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Another one I am SHOCKED hasn't been mentioned is Varsity Blues...and I'd throw my favorite quote out there, but I think Andy would kick me off the site...maybe I'll censor myself..."You're Daddy was a no-talent *us**, but at least he listened" haha

"You wanna see my new end zone dance? [dances] Know what I call it? The new Charlie Tweeder end zone dance."

Have to go with Rudy - I still get goosebumps at the end. I never saw the Friday Night Lights film, but the TV series is absolutely fantastic (as was Playmakers from a few years back). Honorable mention to Any Given Sunday.

TrojanScott
07-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Friday Night Lights (Tv series - first season)

Colts01
07-08-2010, 04:41 AM
north dallas 40 and for comedy the waterboy

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Never saw "All the Right Moves" I've been meaning too since I am a borderline Simmons drone. You guys should check out "The Express" doesn't get a lot of pub but it was really interesting, I had no idea who Ernie Davis was and I should have. Fantastic movie.

my top three

1)Friday Night Lights
2)Any Given Sunday
3)The Express

My Sleeper pick- Blue Crush (I know it isn't really about football but....Kate Bosworth banging an NFL QB, Michelle Rodriguez and Sanoe Lake....just watch it, when no one else is around)

nickgage
07-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Facing the Giants

DannyMilk
07-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Never saw "All the Right Moves" I've been meaning too since I am a borderline Simmons drone. You guys should check out "The Express" doesn't get a lot of pub but it was really interesting, I had no idea who Ernie Davis was and I should have. Fantastic movie.

my top three

1)Friday Night Lights
2)Any Given Sunday
3)The Express

My Sleeper pick- Blue Crush (I know it isn't really about football but....Kate Bosworth banging an NFL QB, Michelle Rodriguez and Sanoe Lake....just watch it, when no one else is around)

do yourself a favor and watch All The Right Moves...It took me a while, but I caught 1/3 of it on regular tv one day, and it was so good/unintentionally funny/blue collar that I just went and bought it, and I am not disappointed in the least!

anuoldman
07-08-2010, 05:44 PM
I don't know why.... it makes no sense inn any way... but "The Replacements" with Madden and Keanu never, ever gets old... weird but truea

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't know why.... it makes no sense inn any way... but "The Replacements" with Madden and Keanu never, ever gets old... weird but truea

I feel you on that one...I never seek it out, but if it finds me while channel surfing I can never turn it off. I have a strange attraction to the cheerleader/bartender in it.

DannyMilk
07-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Any Given Sunday was actually by chance on one of my HBO channels at 2:30 this morning...I taped it, watched the first hour as it aired and the rest this afternoon...good movie, not great. A lot of pros, a lot of cons, GREAT cast, pretty good camera work, although I didn't really dig the XFL feel. Pacino, although in my opinion somewhat unrealistic as an NFL head coach, had some GREAT lines, and solid relationships with the players/coaches. I liked how they went after the business aspect of these teams as well because that is oft overlooked, as well as the training staff and of course, the media.

Chilly
07-09-2010, 05:56 PM
AGS is not a 'great' football movie, and Pacino definitely takes away the realistic feel. But it has its moments, and in terms of quotable lines, the 'every inch' speech might go down as one of the best sports quotes ever produced off the actual gridiron.

nickmillon
07-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Because i am younger, i like the new longest yard, gridiron gang, and the express. I thought Any Given Sunday was decent but it had too much of a fake feel, but i did like pacino's speech.

EaglePhan
07-10-2010, 02:00 PM
North Dallas Forty

GoBigOrGoHome
07-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Remember the Titans

BayouBoys
07-12-2010, 01:14 AM
"the express" was great. I think "remember the titans" is my favorite and then "rudy" but for comedy it has to be "waterboy" hands down. The movie is just too ridiculous. I'm from down south and even I think the cajun thing goes a bit too far hahaha. So funny.

That guy hits better than joe montana..joe montana was a QB you dumb***...oh..i said joe montanyyyya

BayouBoys
07-12-2010, 01:16 AM
Oh...and "LITTLE GIANTS" because who doesn't like Rick Moranis?

DannyMilk
07-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Ed O'Neil>Rick Moranis

BayouBoys
07-12-2010, 03:17 AM
hey now...he couldn't beat good ol' RICK!

Docta
07-12-2010, 04:31 AM
Any Given Sunday
Remember the Titans
Rudy

Typical answers, but what the hell.

Pattrick
07-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Has anyone put down "Big Fan" with Patton Oswalt? It wasn't a major release but it's seriously worth watching.

DannyMilk
07-12-2010, 12:35 PM
no...and I have Showtime, and I've never ever seen it on there...I just saw a Direct TV flier with it on there, so I'll look into it

Pattrick
07-12-2010, 07:47 PM
It's a slow start but I think it accurately depicts some football fans and the pleasure they take in being involved in call-in radio shows.

Colts01
07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
It's a slow start but I think it accurately depicts some football fans and the pleasure they take in being involved in call-in radio shows.

Is That the one about the Giants fan?

Pattrick
07-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Is That the one about the Giants fan?

yes it is. Have you seen it? If so, what'd you think?

Colts01
07-12-2010, 10:27 PM
yes it is. Have you seen it? If so, what'd you think?

I have only seen the previews for it,But it looks like it gets pretty crazy,like the player treats him very badly and goes from there,does look like a good watch

Pattrick
07-13-2010, 05:04 AM
I have only seen the previews for it,But it looks like it gets pretty crazy,like the player treats him very badly and goes from there,does look like a good watch

Yeah... I heard about it on NPR of all places, went to check it out and it wasn't that bad. A different type of "football" movie. I don't think I'd consider it my favorite football movie but, I thought it wouldn't hurt to pass it along.

My favorite is probably Rudy.... not a very original answer but...whatever.

DannyMilk
07-17-2010, 01:48 AM
Watched "Big Fan" the other day...it was...ummm...interesting. I'm not even sure I mean that in a bad way. I've always been a Patton Oswalt (main character) fan. He does a great job, which is kind of unexpected as far as the role he plays in my opinion. I think it's probably a story a lot of people can relate to. You do feel bad for him, which of course, is not what he wants. I think it's definitely worth a watch, but for those heeding my advice, do not have ANY preconceived notions or ideas on plots going in...that would be my advice to you if you're watching this film for the first time.

I won't spoil the movie, but I can't say I've really had this type of an experience with a celebrity, or even less than that experience. I've gotten to know a lot of famous people over the years and really haven't had too many complaints. Even if they are *******s at times (I won't mention names), I just attribute it to arrogance, and I've never been treated all that unfavorably, just unpleasant I would categorize it at times haha.

DannyMilk
07-17-2010, 01:51 AM
hey now...he couldn't beat good ol' RICK!

a cool Ed O'Neil fact that I didn't know...maybe Al Bundy coulda been the legend of Polk High...."....and at Youngstown State University where he played football. O'Neill was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1969 as an outside linebacker. He was released before the start of the 1969 regular season."

BayouBoys
07-17-2010, 04:43 AM
a cool Ed O'Neil fact that I didn't know...maybe Al Bundy coulda been the legend of Polk High...."....and at Youngstown State University where he played football. O'Neill was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1969 as an outside linebacker. He was released before the start of the 1969 regular season."

This is probably the best information I've seen on this site so far. haha..i kid i kid. But this is amazing. Nice bar talk and betting! haha

DannyMilk
07-17-2010, 04:45 AM
haha if you do use it in a wager, I get 2.8%

Andy Freeland
07-17-2010, 05:39 AM
Watched "Big Fan" the other day...it was...ummm...interesting.

I really liked that movie. Although the Philly bar scene near the end was dumb.

I've gotten to know a lot of famous people over the years and really haven't had too many complaints. Even if they are *******s at times (I won't mention names)

No need to be cryptic, we know you're talking about Turk.

DannyMilk
07-17-2010, 05:50 AM
Yeah, the Philly bar thing was weird...I mean, yeah, he finally "won" and did something he wanted to and you felt great for him, but it was kinda odd...and I didn't mention names!! haha

CharlieBoo
07-17-2010, 09:12 AM
I like the high school movies the best. I still haven't seen a "pro" football movie that was really any good, or realistic at all. All the Right Moves, Varsity Blues, Remember the Titans, and Friday Night Lights - all had better football scenes than Any Given Sunday or The Program (or the Replacements - ha ha). Gotta love the big rematch game in Best of Times with Kurt Russell.

We are Marshall was obviously a great story and Rudy deserves some props as well, but for me, the best MOVIE that revolved in some way around football had to be the ORIGINAL Longest Yard.

Oh yeah - take a look at my avatar - The Waterboy still cracks me up, and the kids that I coach today are still watching this movie and dropping movie quotes during practice and games. (drinking High quality H20, opening cans of "whoop ass", "slapping hands", etc.)