PDA

View Full Version : Week 13

Amy
12-07-2010, 09:20 AM
What can I say about last night. We smoked the Jets, but, in the long run, it's just one game. A big game, yes, but there's a long road still to Dallas.

Balance: Pass 34, Run 27. (Note, as always this includes sacks as pass plays, counts plays negated by penalty, and counts the pitch to Woodhead as a run and not as a shovel pass.)

Welker: 8 targets, 7 catches, 1 TD.
Branch: 6 targets, 3 catches, 1 TD
Gronk: 2 targets, 1 catch
Hernandez: 5 targets, 3 catches, 1 TD
Tate: 1 target, 1 catch, 1 amazing TD!
Green-Ellis: 1 target, 1 catch
Woodhead: 3 targets, 3 catches
Morris: 2 targets, 1 catch.

The officials did a great job. Every call they made was spot on and every non call they made was spot on. Both teams had a fumble properly negated cause the runner was down (BJGE in the first half, LdT in the second). On the Tate TD *three* refs got together, they each gave what they saw and they made the right call. That ref team could teach a lot of others (Mccauly, Stenatore) how to do a game.

Overall, a very good game on Bruschi night (and don't underestimate that as a factor - Tom and BB were not going to lay an egg on the night 54 was honored), but no one should count the Jets out. They are a very good team with a great coach. They put all the pressure on themselves, though, and it showed.

Current Playoff seating: AFC #1 Seed.
Current Wildcard matchup: The couch. Bye.

iwatt
12-07-2010, 10:25 AM
F-U mode activated.

Boys mouth off.
Men prepare for War.

Pruitt
12-07-2010, 10:36 AM
F-U mode activated.

Boys mouth off.
Men prepare for War.

You know, I still think Ryan is a really good coach - one whose personality matches his roster.

But great God almighty, that was a savage beat down last night. The Jets have the Dolphins at home next week, and then go on the road to Pittsburgh and Chicago. Now is when we'll see what kind of a coach Ryan really is.

Man, I wish I was a Patriots fan this morning.

iwatt
12-07-2010, 10:42 AM
You know, I still think Ryan is a really good coach - one whose personality matches his roster.

I think he is great coach. I think he outsmarted himself yesterday with the hurry up to start the game. A defense built to face Peyton Manning isn't going to be fazed by a USC sophomore QB with an innacurate arm trying to play in the wind. He should have pounded the rock.

The Ints came late in the game, on bad throws, when things were out of hand, so it isn't like Sanchez lost the game. Brady was pissed last night. So I don't know if the Jets D underperformed, or Tom willed his team to victory. I think the latter is more true. Also, I expect Ryan to have a better answer for the spread in the next match up. Not having Leonhard was a hard hit when you need to disguise coverage against Brady until the last second.

Amy
12-07-2010, 11:59 AM
F-U mode activated.

Boys mouth off.
Men prepare for War.

You read too much Simmons. A lot of what he says 'including FU mode' is crap. There was no FU mode when the Ravens beat down the Pats last January, or when the Browns did in October, or last night.

Last night was a fluke, a good fluke, but a fluke. Rex and the Jets are a darn fine team. What no one is really realizing is that the Jets were the only team with pressure last night. And they put it on themselves. If we lose, we're the 5 seed and we've won Superbowls from the wildcard slot. The Jets, really since after the AFC Championship Game last year, and definately since training camp have said 'Super Bowl win or the season is terrible'. That's a lot of pressure to put on yourself and it bit them last night. You could see that on the challenge.

And, to Rex's credit, there was no whining, no excuses. Rex is a great coach with a great team. I don't like the Jets, but I respect them and hope Rex coaches them for years.

In the end, it was one game. One great game, I'm still giddy, but in 2k7 we put a beat down on the Skins like that, among other teams, and the Giants got the Trophy. Only time a beat down like that matters is if it happens in Dallas. Long road to go, lots of good teams left to play.

Starting with the Bears.

iwatt
12-07-2010, 12:07 PM
You read too much Simmons.

maybe he reads too much me.... :woot:

Swami
12-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Is it possible to read too much Simmons? (Answer is yes if topic is basketball, no if football!)

bluestree
12-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Strange to see you complimenting the refs, Amy. After Sunday's games I'm convinced there is a "problem" of some kind with the officiating. Maybe all the refs just hit a slump at the same time, but the call/no call was all over the highway this weekend. I was thinking you were on to something, then I read this! Seriously, I didn't see any problems with the MNF game, but on Sunday, yikes! The Suh call, the shot to Ben's head and the blow to the head of a defenseless, just to name a few. Very inconsistent.

Amy
12-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Strange to see you complimenting the refs, Amy. After Sunday's games I'm convinced there is a "problem" of some kind with the officiating. Maybe all the refs just hit a slump at the same time, but the call/no call was all over the highway this weekend. I was thinking you were on to something, then I read this! Seriously, I didn't see any problems with the MNF game, but on Sunday, yikes! The Suh call, the shot to Ben's head and the blow to the head of a defenseless, just to name a few. Very inconsistent.

When I think they do a bad job, I call them out, and think the media should, too. But, when they do a good job, and last night they put on a clinic on how to ref correctly, I'll props them. It's only fair :)

SpartaChris
12-07-2010, 01:33 PM
I really respect the way Rex took the beatdown- He didn't go all Todd Haley and snivel and whine. He admitted to being out coached, out played, and out done. You can't ask for a coach to take an epic beat down like that any better. I think Rex won some fans with that.

iwatt
12-07-2010, 01:36 PM
When I think they do a bad job, I call them out, and think the media should, too. But, when they do a good job, and last night they put on a clinic on how to ref correctly, I'll props them. It's only fair :)

HD has made them look very bad. Additionally, I think they're leaning to heavily on coaches to challenge bad calls and bailing them out.

Take the Suh hit: it looked vicious. The Ref probably overreacted, but when you hit a QB like that, they might err on the side of caution.

The Ben Hit: The refs probably are all father's of college girls...

The Miller Hit: It was Steeler-Ravens. The non-call was egregious, but they just might have missed it. HD callled them out.