PDA

View Full Version : Any interesting training camp battles shaping up in Green Bay?

bluestree
07-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Most position are pretty well set, but there must be some competions for playing time. The main one looks to be Atari Bigby and Morgan Burnett. Seems like a foolish move by Bigby to skip OTA's. Angling for a trade? Not likely. How aboot left guard? Will either verteran tackle get pushed? Will DLee lose even more snaps to Quarless?

atnelson928
07-07-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't know how I feel about Bigby long term. Good in run support but in coverage...?

I will be very interested to see what shape the O-Line takes assuming decent health holds. At times last year Colledge was a little dicey; would we mess around with Bulaga in his spot (I think that was talked about after the draft a little)? I would be surprised to see Clifton or Tauscher bumped but you never know.

I also am curious what we do with our three FB. It seems to me that secondary or LB depth will be more important coming out of camp than having Kuhn, Hall, and Johnson.

GBPKS
07-07-2010, 04:39 PM
I think most of the positions are pretty well set...

The big training camp battles for starting positions will be at safety (Atari Bigby versus Morgan Burnett), punter, and left guard (Colledge versus Spitz). As far as roster spots go, the offensive line depth is better than it has been in quite some time and some guys like Barbre or Giacomini will be going home. Tight end will also be a dogfight, assuming Spencer Havner can come back from his offseason motorcycle accident.

I don't think they will toy with Bulaga at guard - I think they are intent on him being the backup to Clifton, who is all but certain to miss some time this season.

I also don't think we will have the luxury of keeping three fullbacks this season, so that will also be an interesting battle.

I would love it if we can find someone to catch lightning in a bottle in the return game this season - Jordy Nelson looked out of place last year, and I'm not sure Will Blackmon can stay healthy. If Tramon Williams is going to be starting at corner while Al Harris returns from injury, we can't use him on returns either. Hopefully James Starks or one of the undrafted free agents can make a splash as a returner.

bluestree
07-07-2010, 05:02 PM
As far as Bigby in coverage goes, it's hard to tell because we don't see the all-22 endzone view. Usually when the safety is in position, the ball doesn't go his way. Bulaga is an interesting call. The team seems intent to keep him working solely at left tackle, but it's been said he could be the next Steve Hutchinson at guard. College-Spitz could be a battle, if Spitz fully recovers, which is uncertain. Surprisingly, Giacomini has gotten some props this offseason, and may stick around. One of the fullbacks is gone, I think it will be Corey. Jordy looks to be running back kickoffs this year, yikes. If AQ can play special teams, Havner is gone, barring injury at linebacker.

JesseFritsch
07-07-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't think the team has any intentions of moving Brian Bulaga inside right now or in the future. The whole, 'he can play guard, RT' thing was blown up when his stock was falling and right when we picked him. Ever since his selection the team has said nothing other than 'LT', and I think that's where he is now and forever. We have enough at guard, Bulaga is his most valuable at LT. It's best if we just keep him focused there, moving him around could hurt his development. We have Josh Sitton at RG for the next few years, I don't think we need a LG that badly, we can find someone to play there. This year it should be Spitz.

The training camp battles are:

Jason Spitz/Daryn Colledge LG (Spitz should get it depending on his injury recovery)
Atari Bigby/Morgan Burnett SS (It should be Bigby's because of Burnett's age, and Bigby's experience)
John Kuhn/Korey Hall/Quinn Johnson FB (One of them is gone because of our depth at TE)
Tim Masthay/Chris Bryan P

FessJL0861
07-09-2010, 01:34 PM
I see it panning out like: Spitz (seems healthy (or so I've read))/ Bigby (for reasons stated above)/ Hall gets cut (just a feeling)/ & who knows at punter...

bluestree
07-09-2010, 02:22 PM
If it is Spitz, I'd see if I could get a backup corner or better yet a kick returner for College

FessJL0861
07-09-2010, 02:23 PM
If it is Spitz, I'd see if I could get a backup corner or better yet a kick returner for College

Kick returner first and foremost. The jury may still be out on Jordy, but I don't see it working.

GBPKS
07-09-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't think the Packers are in a position to trade the loser of the Colledge/Spitz battle... Spitz has the versatility to be the top backup at both guard and center, which means even if he gets the left guard job - if Wells gets hurt, Spitz will shift to center and Colledge will play guard. As long as you keep Colledge away from tackle, he's been a pretty solid player. It's the offensive line - you're always going to have injuries, so having 6 starting quality players plus a first round pick in Bulaga and a solid hand in TJ Lang is a pretty good foundation.

Cris Collinsworth
07-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Packers protection problems cost them a chance at the division title. When they got that settled, they played as well as anybody in the second half of the season. Now with 3 tackles, 3 guards, and 2 centers, it is hard to imagine the Packers getting off to the same kind of start up front. I wouldn't trade anybody. How healthy is Clifton now? Could Bulaga start?

bluestree
07-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Packers protection problems cost them a chance at the division title. When they got that settled, they played as well as anybody in the second half of the season. Now with 3 tackles, 3 guards, and 2 centers, it is hard to imagine the Packers getting off to the same kind of start up front. I wouldn't trade anybody. How healthy is Clifton now? Could Bulaga start?

Clifffy is good right now as he ever will be. I think they'll hold Bulaga out until Clifton has to sit out, which is practically a given, so as not to get him torched. I disagree about trading College. He's not happy for one, and if Spitz beats him out even less so. TJ Lang will be the swingman, you've got an up and coming center in Dietrich-Smith to back up Scotty Wells, and in the unlikely event both left guard and right tackle (Lang's natural position) go down, you still have Marshall Newhouse to play guard, or Breno (yeah, I know, but the coaches still seem to believe in him).
Meanwhile the Pack needs help in the return game badly, and nobody turned up at otas, so... I say send College down the road. He graded out bottom of the class and he's blaming the coaches.

JesseFritsch
07-11-2010, 03:19 PM
How healthy is Clifton now? Could Bulaga start?

Based off what I saw in mini-camp a few weeks ago, Chad Clifton looked completely healthy and moved well. He looked like he did in 2008. Brian Bulaga has done nothing but 2nd team LT reps and that's where he's going to be. He just turned 21, and he looks it (Baby Bulaga). I think if Clifton stays healthy consider it a red-shirt year for Bulaga. If he shows enough in practice I think he's the definite starter in 2011 (if we have a league operating).

DannyMilk
07-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Tim Masthay/Chris Bryan P

Based on knowing nothing and names alone...Tim Masthay sounds like a professor...Chris Bryan is the PERFECT name for a punter...that's my vote!

FessJL0861
07-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Based on knowing nothing and names alone...Tim Masthay sounds like a professor...Chris Bryan is the PERFECT name for a punter...that's my vote!

I KNOW your bored when your on the GB thread. Sizin' up the competition eh Danny?

You guys have me feeling good about Bulaga. I haven't heard anything really bad yet.

DannyMilk
07-15-2010, 09:35 PM
haha this is my best contribution by far.

FessJL0861
07-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Now that Jolly is gone, who is going to take his place?

bluestree
07-17-2010, 10:31 AM
The most likely to step into the rotation is Jairus Wynn. Then you've got the rookies, but usually rookie D lineman need some seasoning.
Now that Jolly is gone, who is going to take his place?

FessJL0861
07-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Refresh me on Jarius Wynn. I haven't done a search on him yet, but what are your thoughts bluestree?

bluestree
07-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Late round draft choice last year, projected as a 3-4 end like Jolly, made the team and active for 11 games, played mostly special teams when he did play. Ok size, not real big, but his progress last year was viewed favorably by coaches. His year of experience may help him hold off the second rounder Neal for playing time.

ACDC84
07-23-2010, 12:35 AM
It's kind of funny how our O-Line drew a ton of (mostly well-deserved) criticism last year, we draft a great LT prospect in the first round, and he probably won't even see the field this year unless/until there is an injury. And he shouldn't. I'd prefer a healthy Clifton to any inexperienced rookie protecting Rodger's blindside. Colledge/Spitz and Spitz/Wells will be solid LG-C combo, Sitton should be a solid RG of the future, and Lang should have every chance to grow into the RT spot.

To sum it up, as bad as our O-Line was for much of last year, we're looking pretty good if our first-round pick (who fell to us) won't even be a starter. How many teams would thrust Bulaga into a starting role?

Colts01
07-23-2010, 12:48 AM
How many teams would thrust Bulaga into a starting role?

See Bills..Lions...Rams

bluestree
07-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Bulaga is sure to get some starts, given Cliffy's history. You all probably heard about him crushing the ball at Brewer's batting practice. Good balance, feet, good quick twitch in the torso. I like that. I may be goofy (but then what is Pluto?), but that caught my attention. Timing, explosion from the hips, what's not to like?

ACDC84
07-23-2010, 01:12 AM
After melt-downs vs PIT, MIN (twice), and ARZ (when it really mattered), everyone is saying the pass defense will be the death of this team. I have a few rebuttals.

1) We had injuries to Harris, Lee, and Underwood last year. Even though Woodson should take a small step back this year (he has nowhere to go but down after last year), he and Williams form a solid starting CB combo. If Underwood OR Lee can take a big step this year, that's a good threesome, and anything Harris can bring (after his probable 6 game stint on the PUP list) will be gravy. I for one am really excited to see what Tramon can do as an unquestioned starter this year.

2) Safety- Unless Bigby dominates Burnett in camp, I think they go with the younger, higher-upside rookie as Collins' cohort at safety. Either way, the loser of that battle will be a huge improvement at back-up over the Bush/Martin/Giordano/?? group of '09.

3) OLB- Matthews should be as good, if not better, on a per game basis as last year; he should improve from year one to two, but teams will game-plan for him more effectively this year. I'm mostly talking about Brad Jones. I keep reading previews talking about how losing Kampman is a significant loss for this year. Kampman is one of my favorite Packers of all-time in my relatively short time watching GB (I'm 25), and I am stoked I now have a team to root for in the AFC. That being said, he was a poor fit for the 3-4. Jones should make a significant improvement from year one to two and he should be a solid if not spectacular compliment to CM3. (Of course if one of these two gets hurt, we could be in big trouble; I really hope TT considers adding Adalius Thomas for depth. At worst he would be a 3-4 veteran that wouldn't be a liabilty.)

4) Jarret Bush- I see a breakthrough/career year for Bush as a hybrid stud nickel CB/safety. This guy has freakish athleticism and it's all gonna click for him this year. Worst case scenario for Bush this year: He's an obvious choice for Pro-Bowl special teamer and he comes up with a key turnover or two in a play-off game. Watch out Woodson!!

5) This one trumps the previous three points (I hope everyone knew I was kidding about Bush, who should be cut after Martin showed he's a better special-teamer): Dom freaking Capers! The defense made a HUGE leap in Capers FIRST year as DC. He now has a year of experience with his players and tape to see what worked and what didn't. His players are 1000% more comfortable with the 3-4 than they were 365 days ago, and they should be even better this year. I can't wait to see the confusion on Cutler's face when he sees Jenkins line up as OLB for the first time.

At worst, our defense will be the same, though I see them getting better. However, our offense, as great as it was for the most part of last year, should be significantly better. The O-Line will be solid from day one, Rodgers had an off-season to work on his holding-onto-the-ball-too-long-itus, and the weapons will all be there. The WRs are solid 1-4, so an injury even to Jennings can be overcome. Then there's JerMichael FREAKING Finley. He'll be a top 3 TE this year, at least receiving wise. My point is that our offense should be superb enough to overcome the occasional defensive collapse, even one the size of the ARZ game.

GO PACK!!!!!!!!!!!

bluestree
07-23-2010, 01:21 AM
You are wise beyond your years, ACDC84. Jarret Bush LMAO! I thought, is this guy wack, or some kind of ninja football insider?

bluestree
07-23-2010, 03:25 PM
From rotoworld.com; " Packers No. 3 WR: James Jones vs. Jordy Nelson
We knew about Jones’ big spring and talent, but then ESPN’s John Clayton goes and says that Jordy Nelson is going to beat Jones out. Huh? Jones has outperformed Nelson for two straight years and nothing appeared to change this spring. Unless Jones faceplants, look for him to be the one picking up snaps if Donald Driver goes down."

What do you think? I checked Packers.com and Nelson had better stats in 2008 (Jones had a bad knee), so rotoworld had that wrong. Also, from what I read, it was Jordy that was making the phenominal catches this spring. What do you think? I look at these guys as being really close. Perhaps if Jordy has to return kicks, that gives Jones a little edge at WR. Either way, nice problem to have.

jmohr107
07-23-2010, 03:44 PM
We knew about Jones’ big spring and talent, but then ESPN’s John Clayton goes and says that Jordy Nelson is going to beat Jones out. Huh? Jones has outperformed Nelson for two straight years and nothing appeared to change this spring. Unless Jones faceplants, look for him to be the one picking up snaps if Donald Driver goes down."

What do you think? I checked Packers.com and Nelson had better stats in 2008 (Jones had a bad knee), so rotoworld had that wrong. Also, from what I read, it was Jordy that was making the phenominal catches this spring. What do you think? I look at these guys as being really close. Perhaps if Jordy has to return kicks, that gives Jones a little edge at WR. Either way, nice problem to have.

Regardless of who is number 3 and who is number 4, I think they will both get their fair share of reps and catches.

Also, has Brad Jones been appointed the other starting OLB opposite Clay? Or does Brady Poppinga have a shot? I was a little worried about the pass rush situation when they didn't address it in the draft, and they didn't bring Aaron Kampman back. If Clay Matthews goes down and has to miss time, then it could be bad news for the Packers defense.

bluestree
07-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Regardless of who is number 3 and who is number 4, I think they will both get their fair share of reps and catches.

Also, has Brad Jones been appointed the other starting OLB opposite Clay? Or does Brady Poppinga have a shot? I was a little worried about the pass rush situation when they didn't address it in the draft, and they didn't bring Aaron Kampman back. If Clay Matthews goes down and has to miss time, then it could be bad news for the Packers defense.

Looks to be Jonesy. The coaches are pretty comfortable with him. You've got Brady, Obi, Des and maybe Chillar as backups, but to give you an idea, they lined up Cullen Jenkins out at LB a few times this spring.

GBPKS
07-23-2010, 04:08 PM

Does it really matter who is the third or fourth wide receiver? Both Jones and Nelson will get plenty of opportunities to be on the field and if defenses are concentrating on Jennings, Driver, and Finley then they'll have chances to make plays. If Nelson is the primary kick returner again this season, I would think Jones would play a slightly larger role on the offense.

jmohr107
07-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Is Jordy Nelson currently the primary kick returner? Has he been doing it during OTAs and minicamp?

I hope Sam Shields makes the roster as the kick returner. Jordy does a solid job, but he just doesn't have the explosion to be a great return man. And if I remember correctly, McCarthy had to take Jordy out as kick returner and put in Tramon Williams during the playoff game in Arizona.

GBPKS
07-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Is Jordy Nelson currently the primary kick returner? Has he been doing it during OTAs and minicamp?

I hope Sam Shields makes the roster as the kick returner. Jordy does a solid job, but he just doesn't have the explosion to be a great return man. And if I remember correctly, McCarthy had to take Jordy out as kick returner and put in Tramon Williams during the playoff game in Arizona.

I wasn't impressed by Jordy as a kick returner, but Football Outsiders Almanac says he did a decent job returning kicks while Will Blackmon is much better returning punts. I don't think we can spare Tramon on kick returns if Al Harris is hurt.

I would love us to find a dynamic kick return guy in training camp, whether it be Shields or James Starks or anyone else...

KevinG
07-23-2010, 05:40 PM
I wasn't impressed by Jordy as a kick returner, but Football Outsiders Almanac says he did a decent job returning kicks while Will Blackmon is much better returning punts. I don't think we can spare Tramon on kick returns if Al Harris is hurt.

I would love us to find a dynamic kick return guy in training camp, whether it be Shields or James Starks or anyone else...

I agree, Jordy isn't who you want returning kicks. He's steady and won't hurt you but he doesn't seem to have the explosiveness you want in that position. I've read reports that Shields had problems fielding the ball during OTAs and it didn't sound like he'd beat anyone out at CB.

Starks is intriguing and I think he's better than a 6th round selection so the Pack got value with the pick. That's more of a gut feeling on my part than anything I can prove, and it sounds like they'll give him a shot at returning kicks. Here's hoping he excels at it.

FessJL0861
07-26-2010, 04:01 PM
I would have loved to see TT pick up a pure returner in the draft. Although I don't think I really saw one this year? Did you guys?

JUMPAROUND
07-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't recall any pure punt returners in last years draft. I know the Bills have several..too bad we would never trade to upgrade an obviously weak position.

bluestree
07-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't recall any pure punt returners in last years draft. I know the Bills have several..too bad we would never trade to upgrade an obviously weak position.
Don't be too sure about that. There'a a peice in the Journal about the O line, says if some guys take the next step we could have some trade bait. Could the Bills use a Darryn College or Jason Spitz?

FessJL0861
07-26-2010, 06:22 PM
I think the Bills could use anyone they can get on that O-Line. Plus, I would love to see TT grab one of those guys. Think how dangerous that would be. Gives me the chills.