PDA

View Full Version : God bless Bob Feller

mkocs6
12-16-2010, 04:32 AM
1918 -- 2010

Polishguy00
12-16-2010, 07:52 AM
He will be missed. Many were confused or did not like him because he was strong in his beliefs, but people from the Cleveland area will only talk about all the stories about meeting him during Spring Training in the 80s and 90s. Feller was the type of man to sit down and talk with the everyday person and treat them as an equal and also be humble about his own success.

mkocs6
12-16-2010, 12:38 PM
I think most of those 'many' you refer to are members of the media--who always say that, too!--who got a bit sensitive when Feller pointed out that their control of the Hall-of-Fame voting process was absurd, and that it allowed people who didn't really know anything about baseball to make arbitrary decisions determining others' greatness. He committed the most unfortunate crime of being correct.

I think he also called modern ballplayers soft. Next to him, they probably are.

bluestree
12-16-2010, 08:18 PM
I met Bob Feller back in the '90s when he was in Florida during spring training. He made an daytime appearance at a club I worked, signing photos and chatting up the regular patrons. He seemed like a decent guy, somewhat of a self promoter, but hey, who isn't and why not? I think he earned it. All in all I had a positive impression. He talked about his records and how he acheived them without a middle reliever and closer, and with less rest than some of the modern era guys.