PDA

View Full Version : Steelers "O" in flux--can they be good this year?

Steelermol
07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
So just two years ago, the Steelers won the Super Bowl and even though their defense received all of the accolades that year (and rightly earned), but the offense won the championship for them on that final drive. Four of the players on the drive (Big Ben, Willie Colon, Willie Parker, and Santonio Holmes) will not be in the lineup against Atlanta Week One. Can the Steeler fans expect anything more than what they got last year in not making the playoffs? I don't see it. I think losing Willie Parker is just as big as losing Holmes. Who starts if Mendenhall goes down for any extended period of time? Willie Colon was the teams best run blocker and that's what the team hopes to do this year is get back to pounding it. With the team counting on rookies Pouncey, Sanders and Dwyer to fill important roles this year and ride the arm of Leftwich for four weeks, I have to admit that I am not as optimistic as I usually am. Can someone talk me into believing things will be alright?

KabaModernFan
07-07-2010, 05:51 PM
First off, I'm going to say right now that I hate the Steelers, so I'm going to try to keep this answer as unbiased as possible. I apologize ahead of time if it still seems that way.

I think the offense will be mostly fine. If Mendenhall goes down, Mewelde Moore is still there, and he has filled in quite admirably before when Steelers RBs have been injured. Please though, losing Willie Parker is nowhere near as big as losing Santonio Holmes. Parker is just about done, he may have a year left in his tank as a quality back and that's probably it. Byron Leftwich isn't the greatest quarterback, but he is a leader and he can rally that team around him for four weeks. Don't forget that Hines Ward and Heath Miller are still there, and along with Mendenhall and Moore, Leftwich (or whoever) should perform at at least a replacement level. The defense will be there as always too, so Leftwich and the rest of the offense probably won't have to score that many points. So yes, while things may seem really bad, looks can be deceiving. Roethlisberger will be back after those first four weeks (presumably) and he'll instantly make the team better. Admittedly those first four weeks aren't the easiest schedule, including Atlanta, Tennessee, and Baltimore, but I still think the Steelers defense is too good to lose more than two of those games. So there you go, have I talked you off the ledge?

Dave Lapham
07-07-2010, 06:15 PM
I know it doesn't look promising for the Steelers, particularly for the first month of the season. As a former offensive lineman in the NFL, I can appreciate what Willie Colon has done for the Steelers. He is their best man up front. But playing against the Steelers and observing them from the broadcast booth since 1974 I can tell you they circle the wagons as well as anyone. They are all about Together/Everyone/ Accomplishes /More /Personal power /Responsibility /Integrity /Determination /Everyone. That is TEAM PRIDE. It defines the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Jdemuesy
07-07-2010, 10:57 PM
I know it doesn't look promising for the Steelers, particularly for the first month of the season. As a former offensive lineman in the NFL, I can appreciate what Willie Colon has done for the Steelers. He is their best man up front. But playing against the Steelers and observing them from the broadcast booth since 1974 I can tell you they circle the wagons as well as anyone. They are all about Together/Everyone/ Accomplishes /More /Personal power /Responsibility /Integrity /Determination /Everyone. That is TEAM PRIDE. It defines the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I think more and more though you are seeing the majority of the NFL turning into that. For example Dave, I don't think 4 years ago you would have said that your very own Cincinnati Bengals embodied that mentality. Now? After the last couple of years, i don't think there's any doubt that Cincinnati is a "all for one and one for all" kind of team.

Chilly
07-08-2010, 12:52 AM
On paper, the Steelers cannot like what the upcoming season appears to hold for them. That being said, they have a lot of players who have 'been there, done that,' and they may be able to withstand Big Ben's absence. I think the key for the team's success is to steal a couple [or more] wins while he is out, and then make a smooth transition back to his style of play. The way he avoids sacks/extends plays, it is a major adjustment for the entire offense. Beyond everything else [and there is a lot of problems], the lack of stability at QB might be too much to overcome for them.

DannyMilk
07-08-2010, 03:27 AM
I have them winning, and winning a lot. I'm not sure why, but I just can't mark them down for an 8-8 season, it pains me haha.

Jdemuesy
07-08-2010, 03:33 AM
I have them winning, and winning a lot. I'm not sure why, but I just can't mark them down for an 8-8 season, it pains me haha.

As much as I would LOVE to pencil them in for an 8-8 season or worse, it is very hard to do. The Franchise is so steadfast its frustrating to be a fan of a team in the same division.

Chilly
07-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Ravens are much better than them, and I think the Bengals should challenge them for the #2 spot. It really depends on what Big Ben looks like when he comes back. Most over/under betting sites have the total wins # at 8, which I agree with. 9-7 would be a decent season for this team, especially after losing Colon.

Worst thing for them is that I feel as if their public image took a big shot because of Ben, and if they manage to make a decent run it will be somewhat tarnished by all the focus on his inability to treat women the way they ought to be treated. While I have all the respect in the world for that franchise and how they do business, they should have kicked him to the curb and started over...