PDA

View Full Version : Superior autobiographical memory

Wordsworth
12-21-2010, 01:11 AM
Awesome segment on 60 Minutes Sunday night about a new discovery in the field of science called "superior autobiographical memory". Six subjects have been found by a research team that can literally remember every single day of their lives. They have unlimited, completely accurate recall abilities of anything they have ever learned or experienced. It was a fascinating story and I recommend each of you at least watch part 1 if not both parts here:

Part 1 - http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7166313n
Part 2 - http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7166315n

Can you imagine the ability to recall any day, any event in your life history, at the snap of a finger? Every score of every game your favorite football team played and what date it was on. What you had for dinner for every birthday. The exact date and day of the week of every major social event of the past half century. And these people have all the memories organized with no clutter or confusion whatsoever, and a 99.9% success rate at recalling them. Amazing really.

It flips on its axis everything we've thought up to this point about the human brain and its ability. It means that these people, that the human brain as a muscle, has a truly limitless capacity for knowledge. It throws out the old adage that every new memory pushes an old one out; that our brains can only hold so much. I was really fascinated by the whole story. And the best part about it is that these people aren't autistic or savants (which is asked in the interview). They are fully functional individuals who happen to have a brilliant gift. Very cool stuff.

Docta
12-21-2010, 01:31 AM
I personally, would not enjoy this if I had it. There are just some things that you have to forget.

Ragar
12-21-2010, 01:54 AM
I personally, would not enjoy this if I had it. There are just some things that you have to forget.

Thus, fermented drinks were made...and it was good.

BuckeyeRidley
12-21-2010, 05:26 AM
I saw that Words. I Love that Marilu Henner has it! She's One of the Good Ones. Some may jokingly say that I have it too! Heh! This sounds Awesome in general and could be Real Helpful to society.

iwatt
12-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Got to get these people to Work for TSA or Homeland...stop the patdowns, just ahve these guys look at your mug