PDA

View Full Version : Best Viewing Experience?

Chilly
07-08-2010, 01:11 AM
This isn't even tough for me. I think NFL games are extremely overrated in-person, with obnoxious fans, dirty confines and overwhelming noise. Watching on a couch with HD on a big screen takes the cake for me. Am I alone in this assertion, or do others agree?

TheLinc
07-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Agree 100%. Traffic, congestion, bad seats, expensive food, et al. Not to mention Dolphin Stadium (Landshark or whatnot) isn't the most ideal stomping ground and gets hotter than bejeezus.

Tough to beat HD, a Sunday Ticket package and $15 cases of bad beer with good friends. Though I'll be the first to admit I'm extremely selfish when Philly is playing - I prefer to watch in silence and alone. Even friendly running commentary is very annoying to me when it's an intense game. Anyone else prefer isolation when their team is on?

DannyMilk
07-08-2010, 03:24 AM
Game itself, TV...but the experience of going to a game, tailgating, bags, beers, brats and Polishes...then walking into Soldier Field, and smiling because it's 18 degrees, with a windchill of 2, and the Tampa Bay Bucs or Miami Dolphins are in town...oh yeah, GIVE IT! haha

Jdemuesy
07-08-2010, 03:31 AM
I think NFL Sunday Ticket has really made staying home everyone's best option. I'm sure most of us have a favorite team that we will always watch whatever the time, but if they play at 1 PM, there's an entire slate of 4 PM games you're going to miss out on if you go to your game at 1. This is all common sense, but I know when my Browns win (yes, yes, on the RARE occasion that happens) I'm euphoric, and I can watch the 4 PM slate like I'm playing with house money. If the Browns lose, I want to watch an AFC North opponent at 4 and root against them.

Stadiums and franchises are going to have some real challenges to combat NFL Sunday Ticket going forward. If the league hasn't already talked about it, they should soon. Whether its lowering food/ticket/beer prices, or thinking of creative ways to allow some fans to stay for the 4 PM games.

Middle-class fans in years past would go to games and sit in bad seats and drink expensive beer because there really were no better options. That isn't the case anymore, and it's starting to show.

Oh and The Linc, to answer your question? Have to watch the game with a room full of Browns fans if I watch it out of isolation. I can't sit with other fans and have them rag on my team, but if other Browns fans want to rag on the Browns, I'm ok with that. Kind of like how I can't make fun of your sister but you can.

Colts01
07-08-2010, 06:21 AM
on tv,better view.cheaper food,no waiting to use the restroom during tv timeouts,i do think it will eventually become a big problem for the nfl to lure the blue collar fan back to the games live when hd and comforts of home and ticket prices make it an easy choice

Tinindian
07-08-2010, 06:26 AM
I love going to a game in person. I usually get down to a couple each year in Miami. But it's awful hard to beat the Sunday Ticket package and wings and beer in your own house. In fact DannyMilk, I already have plans to go to the Fins/Bears game with the whole darn family, the wife's from Chicago so this will be a big one for us.

Oh yeah one more thing, the Fins aren't the Bucs, we can and do win cold weather games.

TheLinc
07-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Game itself, TV...but the experience of going to a game, tailgating, bags, beers, brats and Polishes...then walking into Soldier Field, and smiling because it's 18 degrees, with a windchill of 2, and the Tampa Bay Bucs or Miami Dolphins are in town...oh yeah, GIVE IT! haha

That is one thing I have yet to do that I can't wait to cross off the list - cold weather tailgate. I have nothing but respect for the North conferences for the elements they endure at 7a.m. Much love.

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 09:11 AM
I love going to a game in person. I usually get down to a couple each year in Miami. But it's awful hard to beat the Sunday Ticket package and wings and beer in your own house. In fact DannyMilk, I already have plans to go to the Fins/Bears game with the whole darn family, the wife's from Chicago so this will be a big one for us.

Oh yeah one more thing, the Fins aren't the Bucs, we can and do win cold weather games.

Right on!!! Buffalo has taught us well!!!

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 09:17 AM
I've been to one NFL game...I had just turned 15 and my dad took me to see the Phins play Philly in what ended up being Don Shula's 325th career win. I got peed on and my Dolphins Starter jacket that I had saved up my McDonalds money and bought for my birthday was stained by A-holes throwing hotdogs at me. Looking back, this was a failure of my father...but still, I hated it. I would love to see a Dolphins home game or I'd even watch them in SD because SD fans are wussies. I'd go catch a game in LA if we had a team. But by and large...I'll stay home.

College Football is an entirely different animal...nothing like a cold November night game at Beaver Stadium after drinking Yuengling all day to get the heart pumping!!!

Chilly
07-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I totally agree about college games being a different story--it's not nearly as depressing watching 20 year olds get wasted to watch a college football game as it is to watch 40 year olds who are probably going into debt buying season tickets so they can get hammered and make idiots of themselves at NFL games...worked a season of football security a couple years ago for the Seahawks--worst experience of my life.

Can't listen to CC if you're at the game, either.

Wordsworth
07-08-2010, 01:13 PM
I enjoy the experience surrounding the game itself when I go in person, but actually watching the game in person isn't always as much fun as you'd think it would be. It depends greatly on the seats, too, as to how well you can see the action. A fan really must see a game in person to appreciate the speed and power of these players in real life, but I think optimally watching it on TV is the prime choice. The NFL game experience is way too pricey for the average fan to enjoy more than once, maybe twice in a season tops. This is an issue that keep sme from being more interested in going often.

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 01:15 PM
I enjoy the experience surrounding the game itself when I go in person, but actually watching the game in person isn't always as much fun as you'd think it would be. It depends greatly on the seats, too, as to how well you can see the action. A fan really must see a game in person to appreciate the speed and power of these players in real life, but I think optimally watching it on TV is the prime choice. The NFL game experience is way too pricey for the average fan to enjoy more than once, maybe twice in a season tops. This is an issue that keep sme from being more interested in going often.

This inspired me to start a thread...

brauneyz
07-08-2010, 01:21 PM
As a Pats fan living on the Left Coast, it's TV or nothing. No traffic, parking fees or drunken fans, plus my food and drink is better.

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 01:41 PM
As a Pats fan living on the Left Coast, it's TV or nothing. No traffic, parking fees or drunken fans, plus my food and drink is better.

Simmons you made it!!!!

DannyMilk
07-08-2010, 05:18 PM

It will actually be a good game this year! haha

BearThruThickNThin
07-08-2010, 05:31 PM
In addition to cost issues, the overloading of games with commercials (including before and after kickoffs) makes the HD experience a no-brainer. Unless I'm watching the Bears, I usually play with the kids and watch the games on DVR in the evening. Without commercials and halftime I can watch the games in an hour and a half or so.

Wordsworth
07-08-2010, 05:42 PM
I typically start watching a game roughly a half hour into it so that I can skip all the ads. If the NFL insists on shoving as many as possible down my throat, then I insist on skipping as many of them as I can.

anuoldman
07-08-2010, 05:42 PM
the best viewing experience bar none, is the nbc sports cable cam selectable camera thing that PFT was promoting last year... that will be the future of the IPTV thing..... that was completely uttlerly awesome.... browser with HD and you can select sideline, star, endzone, etc. camera feeds on your own..... that was the thing to do

Wordsworth
07-08-2010, 05:46 PM
I would watch the cable cam at least half the time.

tormike
07-09-2010, 07:46 PM
I love the experience of a live NFL (or sporting event). Due to the high cost of travel, tickets, food, etc has made Sunday Ticket with HD a dream come true.

I enjoy watching my team (Dallas) alone in order to concentrate on the game. With other games, I just enjoy the action and competition.