PDA

View Full Version : Best Rivalries in the NFL

Jdemuesy
07-08-2010, 04:39 AM
What teams do you guys think have the best rivalry/rivalries in the NFL?

I got into a discussion today with one of my fellow Browns fans, we were saying that the Browns are really the only team in the NFL that has a LEGITIMATE steadfast, unwavering hatred for every team in our division:

1. Steelers-- that rivalry is older than dirt

2. Bengals-- only two teams in the NFL in the same state and division (unless you count Buffalo and NY Jets, which I don't)

3. Ravens-- they used to be us!

Now, I'm sure a lot of you would say, "the Browns have to actually WIN some games for it to be considered a rivalry." To that I say we have Mike Holmgren. We are working on it.

What do you guys think? What are some of the best rivalries in the game? And do Seahawks fans still hate the Steelers?

Colts01
07-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Colts/Pats...Last year that game had a total playoff atmosphere.those two teams simply do not like eachother

TheLinc
07-08-2010, 05:02 AM
Speaking from a divisional standpoint, I think the NFC/AFC North are ripe with all sorts of deep-seeded loathings, and the NFC East isn't too far behind. The proximity between teams certainly helps.

Can't argue with Colts/Pats either - that's been the must-see matchup of the decade, bar none.

BayouBoys
07-08-2010, 05:17 AM
I believe everyone in the NFC east generally does not like each other. I love watching the redskins play the eagles. What about the Saints and Falcons? I know I don't even like visiting that city because of my general feelings towards the falcons! Ha! But I do agree with you, the browns never seem happy in that division.

I guess divisional rivalries tend to happen for obvious reasons but what about non-divisional ones? Or even the AFC vs. NFC teams? What about pats and ravens?

DannyMilk
07-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Bears-Packers hands down

Tinindian
07-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Bears Packers is a big one, no doubt. Here's one for the AFC East; Dolphins - Jets.

GBPKS
07-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Bears/Packers has the history, but Packers/Vikings has been a much hotter and much more relevant rivalry over the last 10-15 years...

JUMPAROUND
07-08-2010, 11:02 AM
As a Packer fan I would agree that Bears/Packers has the history, but I definitely hate the Vikings more. The purple and gold colors, the dump of a stadium and those annoying horns really make me want to hate the Vikings. Also, I have found that Vikings fans are very difficult to hold a conversation with. I work next to a guy from Chicago who is a diehard Bears fan and can actually tolerate his thoughts about the upcoming season. So this creates more of a friendly rivalry from the fan's point of view.

This makes me think that there are actually two different rivalries occurring at the same time. The rivalry on the field and the other between the fans. Since I can't stand Vikings fans and all they stand for, so I would say that the better rivalry is between Packers/Vikings. I would be interested to know if the Packers players hate the Vikings or Bears more. I can imagine since Favre is a traitor that they hate the Vikings more. So there you have it folks, the Packers/Vikings is the best rivalry.

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 11:14 AM
What teams do you guys think have the best rivalry/rivalries in the NFL?

I got into a discussion today with one of my fellow Browns fans, we were saying that the Browns are really the only team in the NFL that has a LEGITIMATE steadfast, unwavering hatred for every team in our division:

1. Steelers-- that rivalry is older than dirt

2. Bengals-- only two teams in the NFL in the same state and division (unless you count Buffalo and NY Jets, which I don't)

3. Ravens-- they used to be us!

Now, I'm sure a lot of you would say, "the Browns have to actually WIN some games for it to be considered a rivalry." To that I say we have Mike Holmgren. We are working on it.

What do you guys think? What are some of the best rivalries in the game? And do Seahawks fans still hate the Steelers?

The Jets are in Jersey.

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 11:15 AM
I don't think it's the best but Dolphins/Jets is a good one and it's getting better because Rex can't shut his mouth.

MattEdwards
07-08-2010, 11:16 AM
This changes all the time. A few years ago, I want to say 2005, SI ran a cover calling the Steelers and Bengals "The Nastiest Rivalry in the NFL." Surely, not many fans would feel that those two teams still have the biggest (or "nastiest") rivalry today.

Right now, Colts/Pats is where it's at because the two teams have been Super Bowl contenders every year for about a decade. (One of the two has competed in six of the last nine AFC Title Games, including two where they faced each other.)

Of all-time, I agree with Bears/Packers. Cold weather cities with storied franchises that hate each other.

Andy Freeland
07-08-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned the Cowboys/Redskins. It has cooled recently due to the Redskins slide, but historically it has to be one of the biggest, up there with Packers/Bears.

One unexpected rivalry I heard about - 10 years ago I had a Panthers' fan tell me that the Jaguars were their most hated team, due to them both coming into the league the same year and playing a lot in pre-season. That's been a while, so maybe that rivalry has cooled (or maybe the guy I talked to didn't know what he was talking about). Panthers/Jags fans?

buzmeg
07-08-2010, 11:31 AM
We need a response from Cris on this one, based on his inside knowledge of how the players really dislike the rival opponent and want to beat them into oblivion.

theeraser21
07-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Colts - Patriots is always the best IMO, but then again, I'm a Colts fan

AMac
07-08-2010, 12:16 PM
As a colts fan I can't say anything other than Colts/Pats. Having been at the last AFC title game they played each other and last years matchup I don't think I've seen two teams play with such raw emotion against each other in the last decade or so. The chess match between BB and #18 is just too much fun to watch.

As for the Panthers rivalry thing I'm not too sure on that one. I've only been living in Charlotte for about 3 years now but it seems to me they have no real rivalry. That's the first I've ever heard about the Jaguars thing. There's no one game everybody points to on their schedule every year and call it a can't miss or anything like that. For the most part they just cheer on their team and ignore everybody else. The biggest problem with Panther fans is most folks in Charlotte are transplants from other cities so many have other teams they already root for (like me with the Colts). It's not a terribly old franchise though so give it time.

mjchefer
07-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Colts-Pats.

theeraser21
07-08-2010, 12:18 PM
As a colts fan I can't say anything other than Colts/Pats. Having been at the last AFC title game they played each other and last years matchup I don't think I've seen two teams play with such raw emotion against each other in the last decade or so. The chess match between BB and #18 is just too much fun to watch.

As for the Panthers rivalry thing I'm not too sure on that one. I've only been living in Charlotte for about 3 years now but it seems to me they have no real rivalry. That's the first I've ever heard about the Jaguars thing. There's no one game everybody points to on their schedule every year and call it a can't miss or anything like that. For the most part they just cheer on their team and ignore everybody else. The biggest problem with Panther fans is most folks in Charlotte are transplants from other cities so many have other teams they already root for (like me with the Colts). It's not a terribly old franchise though so give it time.

Also the Colts seem to play the Patriots every year even though they are not in the same division, which adds to the rivalry

Andy Freeland
07-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Also the Colts seem to play the Patriots every year even though they are not in the same division, which adds to the rivalry

Correct, they've played every year since '70, except '02.

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Correct, they've played every year since '70, except '02.

Well...they were in the same division until realignment.

AMac
07-08-2010, 12:27 PM

Yeah I agree that's definitely a big piece and why you see most of the other rivalries are within a division.

Pruitt
07-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I love the Browns and therefore hate the Steelers, so when they play, it really pumps me up.

HOWEVER - this may be heresy - but I do respect the Steelers. Hard not to.

For me, the biggest rivalry is with the Ravens.

In Buffalo, games against the Dolphins used to be really intense. In Western New York, there are still radio guys who call the buildup "Miami Week".

NickMykita
07-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Does anyone have thoughts on Texans-Titans? To me, Houston would probably hate Tennessee since they stole the Oilers from their city.

On a personal note, as a Steelers fan, I think our best rivalry is against the Ravens. No matter how good or bad a season each team is having, those two always play each other hard.

I also like the Seahawks (I was a fan back in 2003, when they started getting good), but they don't seem to have a real rivalry. The closest thing I can think of is the Rams. As the Seahawks started to become a strong team, the Rams were recently removed from the Greatest Show on Turf, but were still a force in the NFC.

FessJL0861
07-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Does anyone have thoughts on Texans-Titans? To me, Houston would probably hate Tennessee since they stole the Oilers from their city.

On a personal note, as a Steelers fan, I think our best rivalry is against the Ravens. No matter how good or bad a season each team is having, those two always play each other hard.

I also like the Seahawks (I was a fan back in 2003, when they started getting good), but they don't seem to have a real rivalry. The closest thing I can think of is the Rams. As the Seahawks started to become a strong team, the Rams were recently removed from the Greatest Show on Turf, but were still a force in the NFC.

Nick I just don't think they have enough heartbreak games against each other to make great rivalry status. A perfect example is the Steeler-Raven rivalry. Until the Titans knock the Texans out of the playoff picture or win a few close ones that matter against them (or switched) I just do not think they qualify yet. Keyword YET. They could be there soon though. IMO chief.

bluestree
07-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Bears/Packers has the history. It's a rivalry that carries a lot of juice, but there is always mutual respect. When I was a kid my dad taught me to hate the Bears, but respect George Halas and the franchise.
Packers/Vikings is different. That one is just pure dislike. And it goes way back before Lord Favre. In the 60's there was a sportswriter in Minny, I think his name was Riley, who made snide comments about the Packers, and referred to the city as "Green Bush". Unusual for the times. They used to reprint those parts of his column in the local Green Bay paper. I think that started it.

FLPackerFan
07-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Bear/Packers is the best and oldest rivalry. However Packers/Vikings is better now. Bears fans are pretty good for the most part. I know since a grew up in Chicago. Vikings fan are like Red Sox fans, annoying a holes. The Viking team is a joke from the top down. They will be changing ownship soon yet again. Most forget, before the Bengals wanted to be known as the team with the most arrests, there was the Vikings.

Other great rivalries

Browns Steelers
Chiefs Raiders
Redskins Cowboys

tico887
07-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Speaking as a Browns fan, who also roots for the Seahawks, I can without reservation tell you that YES!!!!!WE ALL still hate the Steelers. In fact, the only team we hate worse right now is the team of officials at that SuperBowl......Ben Who????

To the original question, what about the Cowboys and the Redskins? I'd bet that will heat up this year, if the Shanahans are able to accomplish their goals.