PDA

View Full Version : Football Pros Postseason Challenge

FessJL0861
01-07-2011, 02:29 PM
So guys and gals, I just created an NFL.com Fantasy Playoff Challenge. The rules are pretty simple:

How To Play

The object of the game is to pick the players you think will perform best in their playoff matchup. Select one QB, two RBs, two WRs, one TE, one K and one D/ST. You will earn fantasy points based on their on-field performance during their game, and if your player's team wins, you will have the option to carry that player over to the next round, where he will earn a bonus points modifier to his score.

For example, if you pick Tom Brady in the Wild Card round and the Patriots win, you can carry him over to the Divisional Round, and earn 2x the points he earns in his divisional round game. If the Patriots win again, you can carry Brady into the Conference Championships for 3x his points, and if the Patriots win again, you can carry him into the Super Bowl and earn 4x his points. In addition, a user can select a player in the Wild Card round even if their team has a bye into the Divisional Round. In this case, the user would not earn any points for the Wild Card round, but would then be eligible to earn 2x points in the Divisional round, since the player was on the team’s roster for 2 weekly scoring periods. Further bonus points modifiers would also apply as long as that player’s team continued in the NFL Playoffs.

Each week, you have until kick off of the game your player is playing in to select your players. Be sure to come back after each round of the playoffs to see how you stack up against your friends and against the community at large. You'll also be able to see which players gave the best fantasy performances of each week.
--------------------------------------
I know this is kind of last minute, but everyone is welcome to join of they want.

Link: http://challengegames.nfl.com/playoffchallenge/leagues/22793?icampaign=PC_LM_email_invite

Password: fipplehoff

FessJL0861
01-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Well, Kaba this makes you and myself. If that's it, I like our chances of winning dude.

Oh, and also, you unregistered users are invited too. Just register first so you can have fun during the postseason in this thread. We should have a couple of the sites pros join, so it should be fun for all.

GBPKS
01-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I threw my hat in the ring... really interesting game. We'll see.

FessJL0861
01-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I threw my hat in the ring... really interesting game. We'll see.

With you, Kaba, Polish, and me, we have 4 people that have won or finished high in FPL related contests. I smell competition!

Polishguy00
01-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Beware of the mighty Polish Calvary. We fought gallantly against an impossible enemy in 1939 and we can do it again. And, no, we never fought the tanks with horses, that was German propaganda. The true story is one of valor and integrity.

GoBigOrGoHome
01-07-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm in.

FessJL0861
01-07-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm in.

Nice. We have 7 so far, where is everyone? Tomorrow afternoon is too late!

FessJL0861
01-07-2011, 06:28 PM
We only have 'til tomorrow, so I'll be bumping this a bunch tonight.

GoBigOrGoHome
01-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Nice. We have 7 so far, where is everyone? Tomorrow afternoon is too late!

Need more peeps. Come on FP!!

brauneyz
01-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Never done any fantasy football before so if you guys are willing to walk me through it, I'm game. I joined the league, now I gotta figure out WTH to do!

FessJL0861
01-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Never done any fantasy football before so if you guys are willing to walk me through it, I'm game. I joined the league, now I gotta figure out WTH to do!

Anything for the Queen. If you feel like gambling, you can take someone on a bye and get them x2 next week, or if they lose, you can't use them ever again. If they do win, you can use them.

Colts01
01-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I will throw my pcks in tonight joe

FessJL0861
01-07-2011, 08:10 PM
I will throw my pcks in tonight joe

Fantastic! That's 9 (We just gained my partner in retirement, Pruitt). We still need more!

brauneyz
01-07-2011, 08:16 PM
It's still early in CA, but I'll bet Clem and SpartaChris join up when they see this. And doesn't Andy love FF, too?

FessJL0861
01-07-2011, 08:19 PM
It's still early in CA, but I'll bet Clem and SpartaChris join up when they see this. And doesn't Andy love FF, too?

Oh yeah, Chris and Clem should be mortal locks for this. Andy Turk, and Dave were on a bit earlier and I'm surprised they aren't in yet. If you (or anyone really) see the thread go away from the recent posts, and I don't catch it, could y'all bump for me?

brauneyz
01-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Happy to keep bumping it, and I'll just keep asking questions since it's become clear to me already that I'll be hooked on this stupid game and enter every league possible in '11.

With re: to strategy in reg season vs. playoffs - do you typically repick every week, or are you locked in at the beginning of the season, which could really hose a person? So, are we looking at cumulative info gathering, or a one-shot out on a limb pick? And is there a way to see the picks of my competitors? I kinda played it safe this week on my virgin tour.

FessJL0861
01-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Happy to keep bumping it, and I'll just keep asking questions since it's become clear to me already that I'll be hooked on this stupid game and enter every league possible in '11.

With re: to strategy in reg season vs. playoffs - do you typically repick every week, or are you locked in at the beginning of the season, which could really hose a person? So, are we looking at cumulative info gathering, or a one-shot out on a limb pick? And is there a way to see the picks of my competitors? I kinda played it safe this week on my virgin tour.

This is the only way I have ever played in the playoffs. Totally different than regular fantasy. In regular fantasy, you are pretty fluid with your team. You can drop and add from the waiver wire, and you can trade with other teams. This particular format is only viable in the playoffs, in that the players go away when their team loses. Plus, if you are confident enough to start, say, Roddy White this week, you get zero this week, but next week when you start him you get his score x2. Unfortunately in the playoffs, you can't see what everyone else picks. In the regular season you can. Also in the regular season, you never play guys on bye weeks because the x2 or x4 twist doesn't exist. We can go crash course next August if you're up for it!

msclemons
01-07-2011, 09:49 PM
I joined. I'm upset that I can't pick Alex Smith as a quarterback.

FessJL0861
01-07-2011, 09:56 PM
I joined. I'm upset that I can't pick Alex Smith as a quarterback.

We could make an exception for you, but Alex Smith actually gives a x-4 point total. The leader puts him in during the last week, kind of like a handicap.

FessJL0861
01-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Turk, Andy, I see you 2 hovering. We need more players!

brauneyz
01-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Spartacus, where are you?

GoBigOrGoHome
01-08-2011, 12:48 AM
bump

Docta
01-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Anything sounds good after what happened to me in that bowl pool. In it to win it.

FessJL0861
01-08-2011, 01:45 AM
Anything sounds good after what happened to me in that bowl pool. In it to win it.

Polish whittled my lead down to 9. My highest pick left is 8. My only hope is that he goes 0'fer, or only gets 1 out of 3, and I sweep. He's got me.

Docta
01-08-2011, 03:25 AM
Polish whittled my lead down to 9. My highest pick left is 8. My only hope is that he goes 0'fer, or only gets 1 out of 3, and I sweep. He's got me.
He didn't even move any of his picks to incorporate the confidence points. Either we're just stupid, or he got lucky, cause he even said that he only watches college football to scout prospects.

SpartaChris
01-08-2011, 04:06 AM
Hell yeah I'm in. This sounds like a blast!

I posted this thread to my facebook page and sent it via twitter, so hopefully we'll get a few more people to participate.

Polishguy00
01-08-2011, 10:22 AM
He didn't even move any of his picks to incorporate the confidence points. Either we're just stupid, or he got lucky, cause he even said that he only watches college football to scout prospects.

I did it that way as a bit of an experiment, but no surprise that I started getting hot when the bigger programs played.

FessJL0861
01-08-2011, 11:50 AM
I did it that way as a bit of an experiment, but no surprise that I started getting hot when the bigger programs played.

I should have put more faith in the big dogs instead of giving love to Hawaii and Clemson.

Pruitt
01-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I must have been drunk... is it good to take guys who aren't playing this week?

Cause I sure did. I may have stumbled onto a foolproof strategy here.

Colts01
01-08-2011, 12:39 PM
I must have been drunk... is it good to take guys who aren't playing this week?

Cause I sure did. I may have stumbled onto a foolproof strategy here.
You stumbled right into the "Singletary keys to victory" award

FessJL0861
01-08-2011, 01:03 PM

Its funny that you have to stumble to achieve that award...

SpartaChris
01-08-2011, 01:40 PM
This is quite possibly the hardest fantasy team I have had to pick.

Sure, I could go with Tom Brady, and get double points next week, 4X points the week after however many points for the Super Bowl.

Or I could go with a guy like Drew Brees that will put up points this week AND possibly put up 2X points next week.

Then there's WR's and RB's. So much talent, but I have no idea who to pick. Do I pick based on matchups this week and expected matchups next week, or do I hedge by picking players on opposing teams who I feel will light up the scoreboard, a la Ray Rice and Jamaal Charles? Both are sure to get points THIS week, and one will move on to NEXT week for sure.

Too damn many choices, and it's so easy to over-think things.

FessJL0861
01-08-2011, 01:54 PM
This is quite possibly the hardest fantasy team I have had to pick.

Too damn many choices, and it's so easy to over-think things.

That's why this format is great for the playoffs. I have the same conundrum with my QB situation. You look at Brady, and even though he should be in the AFC Championship game, look at the defenses he most likely will have to play. Even at x2 or x4, would you be better off with someone else at x1 or x2? I love it!

brauneyz
01-08-2011, 02:10 PM
After reading these last few comments, I don't feel so stupid anymore. Bring it on!

FessJL0861
01-08-2011, 03:26 PM
After reading these last few comments, I don't feel so stupid anymore. Bring it on!

If you wanted to feel superior, you should have joined the bowl pick 'em. We stink.

FessJL0861
01-08-2011, 04:16 PM
bump. Time's almost up, join us now or forever (well, 'til next postseason) hold your peace.

msclemons
01-08-2011, 04:23 PM

You could say that by not using the confidence points Polish refused to throw a forward pass. So in a sense he did follow Singletary's keys to victory.

SpartaChris
01-08-2011, 05:13 PM

Oh, don't mislead yourself into feeling smart either. :)

/me ducks

FessJL0861
01-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Yet another bump. You have until tomorrow before the last kickoff to register.

SpartaChris
01-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Today just killed me. Gonna have to pick a new QB and Defense next week. Jesus, how about those Seahawks, eh?

brauneyz
01-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Since they don't show any comps yet, I have no idea how I did relative to the rest of you. I guess they'll score and post after tomorrow's games are over.

I like it though!

SpartaChris
01-08-2011, 09:52 PM
BTW, we're in chat. Where are you?

FessJL0861
01-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Last bump. I think you can still register before the kickoff in the night game. BTW, Brauneyz is in the lead after yesterdays games.

Docta
01-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Putting 5 Patriots on my lineup for the last 2 weeks probably wasn't a good idea.

Patriots D got -4 points, so I ended up losing 8 points. GREAT!