PDA

View Full Version : ACLs...1 or 2 year Injury?

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 09:28 AM
I often hear that an ACL is a two year injury and clearly this seems to be the case...but medically is this really the case or is it more of a Psych issue of not trusting the repaired body part? Also why do some players rebound just fine and for some (see Culpepper, Duante) they are never effective players again?

This really interests me...you can get somewhat technical Doc...but go easy...I learned medicine from the Army :)

thephaze
07-14-2010, 12:48 PM
I have worked with and rehabilitated many athletes that have had an ACL Reconstruction.

I would say that with the current surgical procedures, the research on autograph vs allograph
techniques and the streamlining exercise with flexibility it is possible to return to play one year after injury (surgery).

The problem most athletes have after injury is the return of confidence in the injured (now rehabilitated) limb.

An athlete, especially an NFL player, will play 9 months after ACL surgery, but to truly build the confidence in the
leg and play without apprehension it takes 2 years.

Look at the statistics of athletes that have had an ACL reconstruction and their stats tend to dip the season
after surgery, but then the build back up in the second year.

This is usually due to the mental aspects of the injury, not strength.

Thoughts?

Dr Stephen Pomeranz
08-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Recovery varies with each person
The most important factor in recovery is the aftercare and rehab
But, some people heal faster than others

Also some grafts also recovery quicker. If you use your own patellar tendon plan on 1 year until you are back on the field and 2 years to be your old quick self
With a hamstring graft it can be quicker
With a cadaver graft (from a deceased person0 it can be 6 mnoths
with a synthetic graft like those used in Europe 2-3 months
Thanks for the question
All the best
Dr Pomeranz