PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I married a Detroit Lions fan!!!!

mjchefer
07-08-2010, 11:39 AM
hey guys! Ive been married for 6 months now. I am originally from Argentina, and attended college in Ohio. My wife is from Michigan - She played college basketball and HS basketball and volleyball, so she's REALLY into sports. I am HUGE OSU fan, which is a terrible problem because she has FORCED ME to be a Michigan and Michigan State fan. Her argument: You only lived in the US for 4 years, Ive been here all my life, besides, soccer is your main sport in Argentina, I will cheer for your soccer team and you need to cheer for my football teams.

So, you can imagine how tough it is for me. At the college level, we've kind of reached a truce. I pretend to like the Michigan teams but she really knows my heart is Scarlet and Gray. In the basketball arena, Ive been a Lakers fan since a was a little boy (Kobe came into the league the same season I got into basketball), so she cant really argue there. The BIG PROBLEM is the Detroit Lions.

How can I even pretend to like a team that has been the laughing stock of the NFL for SOOOOO long!? Please give me some advice? Is there light at the end of the tunnel? Its soooo depressing. I have no childhood memory, no "my dad used to take me to watch them play" story to tell friends as a way for excusing myself from being a fan of such a horrible group of underachievers. I just dont know what to do.....

Does anyone have any experience in cross-team marriage and its implications?

Mordeci
07-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Sounds like a lifetime movie of the week: Help! I married a Detroit Lions fan!!! Starring Valerie Bertandernie

Here's what you do. Be a Lions fan for 1 more (painful) year, but this year you live and die with the team. Be an over the top fanatic. Every time they turn the ball over, you cry just a little. When they lose (and they will lose), you fall into a deep depression for 2 days. By the end of the season your wife will let you change teams for the sake of your mental health.

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 12:08 PM
I don't envy you...after watching Argentina lay down against Germany she wants you to be a Lions fan....tough draw homie. Anyway...the nice thing about the Lions is that they appear to be on an upswing. They have been making solid moves and Stafford looks to have 'it.' They are far from the laughingstock of the NFL...they are a classic franchise and no one feels good piling on Detroit's (the city) misery. I, for one, laugh much more at teams like the Rams, Tampa Bay or the Raiders. Don't let her turn you into a Michigan fan though or punitive action must be taken.

mjchefer
07-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Sounds like a lifetime movie of the week: Help! I married a Detroit Lions fan!!! Starring Valerie Bertandernie

Here's what you do. Be a Lions fan for 1 more (painful) year, but this year you live and die with the team. Be an over the top fanatic. Every time they turn the ball over, you cry just a little. When they lose (and they will lose), you fall into a deep depression for 2 days. By the end of the season your wife will let you change teams for the sake of your mental health.

HAHAHAA you're killing me dude! I LOVE IT!!!!!

mjchefer
07-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't envy you...after watching Argentina lay down against Germany she wants you to be a Lions fan....tough draw homie. Anyway...the nice thing about the Lions is that they appear to be on an upswing. They have been making solid moves and Stafford looks to have 'it.' They are far from the laughingstock of the NFL...they are a classic franchise and no one feels good piling on Detroit's (the city) misery. I, for one, laugh much more at teams like the Rams, Tampa Bay or the Raiders. Don't let her turn you into a Michigan fan though or punitive action must be taken.

All true but... Tampa won a Superbowl this decade! I mean.. that's gotta count for something? right? And on the Argentina thing... I know exactly what you are saying, it was devastating! But so far the best idea I think is the 2-day depression act.

DaBearsFan
07-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I know a lot of Lions fans. A lot of them root for the Lions until they are out of the playoff race (usually about week 3), and then they root for their fantasy football teams, while quiet laughing at how much their team sucks. At least, that's the impression I get from watching them.

If you don't have another team in mind, you could just get a fantasy team and start rooting for them as soon as the Lions are out.

EDIT: As a Michigan State student, you can't be both a Michigan State and a Michigan fan. This, I would argue, is major sports bigamy. Tell your wife that DaBearsFan says you need to pick one. And by pick one, I mean pick Michigan State.

mjchefer
07-14-2010, 05:48 PM
thanks for all the input!

Kosar19
07-14-2010, 06:01 PM
On a side note: Under no circumstances can you root for the Woverines. Rooting for the Lions may be painful but there may be a reward. Rooting for Michigan, especially as a Buckeye (and welcome by the way!), will coat you your soul. It's not worth the risk.

Kosar19
07-14-2010, 06:02 PM
"cost" not "coat". Sorry.

ScottDCP
07-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Hawaiian Blue is a very pretty color, and complements silver quite nicely. After that, I can only suggest a time machine to 1960...

Pruitt
07-15-2010, 12:31 PM
thanks for all the input!

Look at the bright side. I am a fan of the Browns and the Bills and my wife is a fan of "Glee" and Entertainment Tonight.

mjchefer
07-15-2010, 01:00 PM
look at the bright side. I am a fan of the browns and the bills and my wife is a fan of "glee" and entertainment tonight.

haaahahahahahahaha lmao!!!!!

Andy Freeland
07-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Look at the bright side. I am a fan of the Browns and the Bills and my wife is a fan of "Glee" and Entertainment Tonight.

Have you ever had a TV commit suicide?

msclemons
07-15-2010, 10:55 PM

oh man... we've gotta set up a donation site to buy Pruitt lots of scotch. It's the decent thing to do.

Pruitt
07-16-2010, 09:29 AM
oh man... we've gotta set up a donation site to buy Pruitt lots of scotch. It's the decent thing to do.

God bless you all.

This year won't be so bad as I have NO expectations going into the season. I am referring to the NFL season, not the new season of "Glee".

Just bought the Sporting News NFL preview and they pick my two teams to go a combined 5-27! So, I'm looking at the bright side - if either of them are at .500 in early October it will be a pleasant surprise. I can also act like I'm making a huge sacrifice if I tell the kids I can ski the Bills-Lions game to take them to a movie.

But scotch will definitely help me this year.

Kosar19
07-16-2010, 10:20 AM
But scotch will definitely help me this year.

As Homer Simpson would say "To Alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."

This rings particularly true with a few fan bases...

footballgal
07-16-2010, 10:20 AM
MJ, here's what you need to do: embrace rooting for the underdog. The Lions are the ultimate underdog! You should look at rooting for them as a public service. It's good for your karma.

Her trying to make you root for Michigan when you're an Ohio State fan, though . . . that ain't right. See if she'll let you out of that one if you really commit to being a Lions fan.

BayouBoys
07-17-2010, 04:54 AM
I'll give you advice man. I am a die hard saints fans. We were the laughing stock at times. I mean Aaron Brooks threw the ball backwards to his own linemen. He even came to the line and thought the Right guard was the center. Terrible. And don't get me started on the 'Aints years. We are the team that started the "wearing bags on our heads so people didn't know we were actually cheering for our team"

But let me get to the point..basically I'm saying keep looking for that rainbow after the storm. I stuck with this team through thick and thin and look what they rewarded me with. A superbowl. Pigs do fly and hell has frozen over. If the saints can do it..the lions can def do it! EASILY! The feeling will be unlike anything you have ever experienced! hahaha

TheRealJosh
07-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Try betting them to lose every game, because you'll make money all year. In all seriousness, in 3 more years they could be competitive. I can almost guarantee that you can become the Lions expert on this site.

illmatc2
07-17-2010, 09:57 PM
As a huge Lions fan who barely made it through 0-16 this is the time to be a Lions we have no where to go but up and with the new brain trust and talent we are on the way up. The future looks bright not quite ready for shades but maybe soon.