PDA

View Full Version : Turk's NFC/AFC Championship Picks

Turk Schonert
01-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears- *GB* - Great rivalry matchup! Cold ... make that very cold weather conditions, two outstanding defenses, two pass happy offenses, each team has a victory over the other this season and oh ... they don't like each other. With a Super Bowl at stake, which team will show the most patience? The run game has to be a factor with both teams. The team that can effectively run the ball, will be better suited to use their play action and run action pass game. I believe Matt Forte is the most important player to the Bears offense. Not only does he need to run the ball effectively, but he must be able to pass protect against the Packers LBers and Charles Woodson. The Bears defense doesn't give up many long plays which will try the patience of McCarthy and Rodgers. The Bears 'D' will play more coverage but will pick their spots to pressure Rodgers. Aaron must make the Bears pay when they pressure, his receivers are as good as anyone at getting yards after the catch. Points by the offenses will be hard to come by, a defensive or special teams score could determine the winner of this game. I like the roll that the Packers offense and defense are on, if their special teams hold their own ... they win!

NY Jets @ Pittsburgh Steelers - *Pit* - The Jets confidence is at an all time high. After expending so much energy and emotion on and off the field the last two weeks, can they refuel the tank and recharge their batteries enough to out duel and out physical the Steelers? Both defenses are stellar, which defense will make the play(s) to propel their team to victory? After all, these two teams are all about defense!! Rex Ryan will continue to mix coverage with pressure (it has worked beautifully the last two games), but I believe he will attack Ben and his O-line more often than he did vs Manning and Brady. This is where Rashard Mendenhall comes in to play. The Steelers must run the ball!!! Rashard must find creases, bounce outside and get the corner when available, break tackles, and run the ball in for TD's when in the tight Red Zone. But, where the Steelers will need him to be at his best is with his pass protection against the Jets blitzes. Ben can escape one guy but if a swarm gets to him, he is susceptible to turning the ball over because he tries to do too much. Mendenhall is also a good screen back, screens are great against the blitz if it is run to the side of the blitz. The Steelers 'D' will need to stop the Jets run game forcing Sanchez to beat them with his decision making and accuracy. I believe that Dick LeBeau's defense will hold the Jets to 14 points or fewer leading the Steelers to another trip to the Super Bowl.

Playoff Results Wins - 4 Losses - 4

Season Results Wins - 159 Losses - 105 (60%)

msclemons
01-23-2011, 11:59 AM
3 hours until kickoff. *twitch twitch*

I'm going with the favorites, Green Bay and Pittsburgh.

SpartaChris
01-23-2011, 12:14 PM
I need more beer...

Pruitt
01-23-2011, 12:43 PM
I need more beer...

Too early. I'm trying to get some work done so I won't feel guilty about popping the first one open at 3.

Packers/Steelers

GoBigOrGoHome
01-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Too early. I'm trying to get some work done so I won't feel guilty about popping the first one open at 3.

Packers/Steelers

Me, too. Making chili and not drinking beer is unnatural but I am muddling my way through it.

Concur fully on the picks, too.

2 hours 8 minutes to kickoff.

"Shakin' & twitchin' kinda like I was smokin'..."

Turk Schonert
01-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Making some hot chicken wing dip, not beer time yet ... but getting close. Post your time with your 1st beer. I'm betting on a Bears fan to have the earliest beer!

DannyMilk
01-23-2011, 07:09 PM
too much Effin (literally, that's the brand aneme) vodka...congrats to GB...go {itt...black and yellow black and wylloow black and yellow black and yellow

FessJL0861
01-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Making some hot chicken wing dip, not beer time yet ... but getting close. Post your time with your 1st beer. I'm betting on a Bears fan to have the earliest beer!

First beer @ 1413 CT. It started with Killians and has continued with Guiness. Sheesh, I am drained. I'm gonna sleep great tonight. Totally drained....