PDA

View Full Version : Statistician?

AZCardsFan
07-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Andy,

The quick bio on the Home page says that you are a Statistician and researcher. This could mean multiple things. Are you more of a stats historian who can easily recall the 1979 rushing leader, or do you tinker with numbers to create new metrics for evaluating the players and the NFL?

Like most who visit this site, I love tracking basic stats for fantasy purposes and otherwise, but as a numbers guy, I like seeing new and innovative uses for old statistics. Either way, more numbers are welcome!

Thanks!

Wordsworth
07-08-2010, 02:46 PM
I applied with Stats, Inc to be an at-home stat recorder but never heard back from my application. I've always wanted to work with statistics because I have a good memory and I'm great with numbers. Never could find a job though.

Andy Freeland
07-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I hesitated to user the word statistician, but it's borderline accurate so I went with it. In football broadcasting, the statistician sits in the booth and records every single play - what it was, where it started, who carried/caught the ball, for how many yards, etc. He is the guy who tells the play-by-play man 'that was a 42-yard punt and a 17 yard return'. He also calculates in-game totals for us. On Sunday Night Football the stats guy is George Hill, who is several thousand times better at this job than I could ever be.

My job is a little less exact. Technically I'm called the 'talent spotter' (not spotting talent, but the spotter for the talent, i.e. Cris). I do (hopefully) extensive research on every player on both teams for every game. When Cris says, 'player X has 457 rushing yards in the last 3 games, most in the NFL', that usually (but not always) came from me.

Thanks for asking, hope that answers your question.

Wordsworth
07-08-2010, 03:12 PM
How do you get a job like that? Does it require specific schooling?

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 03:14 PM
My buddy does it for the Mets...he was a biology major and a baseball player at Claion Univ. in PA...Don't know that he took anything special but dude knows his freakin baseball

Andy Freeland
07-08-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't know that there's any schooling that would help. Most of the guys that I know started as interns and worked their way up. Maybe starting at the high school or low college level, volunteer to help with the broadcast as a runner and try to work your way in. I'll send Elliot "Mr. Stats" Kalb an e-mail and see if he has any advice, maybe get him to write something for us.

Colts01
07-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Technically I'm called the 'talent spotter' (not spotting talent, but the spotter for the talent, i.e. Cris). I do (hopefully) extensive research on every player on both teams for every game. When Cris says, 'player X has 457 rushing yards in the last 3 games, most in the NFL', that usually (but not always) came from me.

So Say the ravens and steelers are playing in week 8.How many hours do you spend during that week to prepare for the broadcast/game? Are you in the booth or located as they use to say "in the production truck"

Andy Freeland
07-08-2010, 05:57 PM
So Say the ravens and steelers are playing in week 8.How many hours do you spend during that week to prepare for the broadcast/game? Are you in the booth or located as they use to say "in the production truck"

Typically takes me anywhere from 15 to 20 hours per team. I'm in the booth. Usually I'm right beside Cris, though in some stadiums that's not possible and they just stick me where ever they can.

Chilly
07-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Do you record abstract statistics as well, like how many hot dogs Mark Sanchez devours a game or how many blank stares Norv Turner gives after his team blows another lead?

bluestree
07-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Hey Andy, we were throwing around a quote attributed to Mark Twain on another thread. If you should happen to read it, no offense intended. lol

DannyMilk
07-08-2010, 11:27 PM
I'd love to get a job like that...good times

NickMykita
07-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I'd love to get a job like that...good times

I'm hoping to do something like this in some form. I'm in school right now majoring in Statistics. My ultimate goal is to work with ESPN or some other sports company.

brauneyz
07-09-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm hoping to do something like this in some form. I'm in school right now majoring in Statistics. My ultimate goal is to work with ESPN or some other sports company.

Stay in school and get your degree, but don't count on it getting you anywhere near the NFL. I think you'd need to know somebody, or start as an intern working for free.

I have an MS in stat and look what I'm doing? LOL!

NickMykita
07-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Stay in school and get your degree, but don't count on it getting you anywhere near the NFL. I think you'd need to know somebody, or start as an intern working for free.

I have an MS in stat and look what I'm doing? LOL!

I'm glad you mentioned that you have an MS. Even though high-end sports stats is my dream job, I'll take whatever I can get. Right now money is tight and I'm debating about grad school. Is there work out there for people with a BS in stats, or will I have to go further in school?

Andy Freeland
07-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Hey Andy, we were throwing around a quote attributed to Mark Twain on another thread. If you should happen to read it, no offense intended. lol

I could never be insulted by anything Mark Twain said. One of the funniest men to ever live.

brauneyz
07-09-2010, 01:31 AM
I'm glad you mentioned that you have an MS. Even though high-end sports stats is my dream job, I'll take whatever I can get. Right now money is tight and I'm debating about grad school. Is there work out there for people with a BS in stats, or will I have to go further in school?

In this economy, who knows? My MS goes back 10 yrs., but there was work for those with a BS. Lots of companies will (used to) pay for grad school, and of course, an MS was leveraged for more $$$. Good luck!

NickMykita
07-09-2010, 02:31 AM
Thank you.

cobber66
07-19-2010, 05:00 PM
In this economy, who knows? My MS goes back 10 yrs., but there was work for those with a BS. Lots of companies will (used to) pay for grad school, and of course, an MS was leveraged for more $$$. Good luck!

Maybe I missed something, but just curious, what do you do brauneyz? I'm actually studying Statistics in graduate school myself. I just finished my MS and now am about to start working on a PhD. Of course as a former college football player as well, this forum is right up my alley ;)

As far as working in sports statistics, there are not a lot of jobs for graduate-level statisticians out there, but there are many high-paying jobs available in Statistics in general, with more likely to come in the next 10 years. Check out this article from the New York Times from about a year ago for more information:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/06/technology/06stats.html