PDA

View Full Version : Music -- where can I get some obscure stuff?

GoBigOrGoHome
01-27-2011, 01:22 AM
For free, of course. I used to use morpheus.com, but they got waxed. So did limewire.com.

I'm not a huge downloader, but like to dig up some obscure stuff that is unavailable on iTunes from time to time.

Advice?

msclemons
01-27-2011, 01:49 AM
Limewire got axed? sunny beaches...

I usually hit youtube real quick if I catch a song I like but as far as an actual downloaded mp3 I used to use Limewire if I couldn't find it on itunes. Pandora is pretty cool as well.

GoBigOrGoHome
01-27-2011, 02:01 AM
Yeah, Limewire got the death penalty last fall.

I don't mind dropping a few bucks at iTunes for some straight studio stuff. But I used to be able to find some sweet old bootlegs (like Ted Nugent & Stevie Ray Vaughn Live doing blah, blah, blah at some oddball location) on morpheus and limewire. BearShare sucks the hairs of my nether-region. Really need a place to find the obscure stuff. I know some of you have super-secret-ninja-download sites. Hook a brother up.

msclemons
01-27-2011, 02:21 AM
Napster, Morpheus, Limewire... when is someone going to set up a good site in a location the RIAA can't get to?

ScottDCP
01-27-2011, 08:58 AM
I go to blogs. My favorite is homercat.blogspot.com though I think he puts more stuff ona different portal whose location escapes me at the moment. He usuallly posts out-of-print or self-distributed stuff, usually at least fifteent to thirty years old, sometimes forty. Though he did introduce me to Grace Potter & the Nocturnals, for which I thank him.

Pandora does a thing where you enter a song and it will play similar tunes you likelyy never heard of. Never the one you entered, though. I think last.fm does the same.

Alternatively, you could go to rochesterjazz.com or similar and youtube the heck out of a festival lineup.

Internetarchive.org, by the way, is THE place to find live shows posted or approved by the bands.

Pruitt
01-27-2011, 10:23 AM
I know a million reggae, blues and african music sites that I'd be happy to share.

Mordeci
01-27-2011, 10:44 AM
There are still a couple of places to get illicit music, usenet and bit torrent.

Usenet is the wild west, no rules. Most ISPs give access to usenet servers, you just need a newsreader. The only problem is that there really isn't a way to search for what you want. Just go out to the groups and see what's there. There's also a couple of bootleg groups, where you can find stuff you can't find anywhere else.

You can search for what you want on bit torrent, I believe btjunkie.org is the biggest tracking site. But there are risks with bt, you'll want to get TOR to hide your IP (although the vast majority of people who are busted by the MPAA are the ones sharing files, not downloading).

SpartaChris
01-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Napster, Morpheus, Limewire... when is someone going to set up a good site in a location the RIAA can't get to?

There is. It's called bit torrent.

SpartaChris
01-27-2011, 03:27 PM
You can search for what you want on bit torrent, I believe btjunkie.org is the biggest tracking site. But there are risks with bt, you'll want to get TOR to hide your IP (although the vast majority of people who are busted by the MPAA are the ones sharing files, not downloading).

Interesting, never heard of TOR. Does it work with Vuze?

Edit- Nevermind. I just read Vuze has built in TOR support. Interesting. I'm definitely gonna check it out!

Docta
01-29-2011, 10:37 PM
http://4shared.com
http://albumhunt.com

If you use bittorrents, Demonoid.me has open registrations now.