PDA

View Full Version : Sick of Tim Tebow

hassan812
07-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Let me start this off by saying I am not a Tim Tebow hater. I have a lot of respect for the way he carries himself and all of his tremendous accomplishments in college. Also, I am rooting for the guy because it would be a great story. However, I am already starting to get sick of all the Tim Tebow hype.

TIm Tebow mania has already started and the guy was considered by many to have been lucky to have been a first round pick. In addition, he hasn't even played an NFL game yet!!! However, unsurprisingly the American public have already bought in, literally. Last week, I heard that Tebow is leading the NFL in jersey sales!!! Shouldn't it be somebody like Chris Johnson or Drew Brees? Man I can't wait to see what it will be like when he actually wins a game.......

Wordsworth
07-08-2010, 06:40 PM
I know Tebow was a great leader in college and he won two championships, but I really, truly have no idea why he's such a big deal. People are obsessed with him.

FessJL0861
07-08-2010, 06:40 PM
For those that own TT jerseys, may I say that you are homers:

http://images.free-extras.com/pics/h/homer_simpson-1095.jpg

So to sum this up, yes hassan, you have nailed it.

hassan812
07-08-2010, 07:07 PM
For those that own TT jerseys, may I say that you are homers:

http://images.free-extras.com/pics/h/homer_simpson-1095.jpg

So to sum this up, yes hassan, you have nailed it.

Thanks, I'm just happy that I'm not alone w/ my opinion regarding Tebow.

bluestree
07-08-2010, 08:00 PM
It's the Great White Hope thing. I think a lot of people are hoping Tebow will overcome the odds and reaffirm something for them. Personally, I'm a cynic, I think the bible verses under the eyes is a marketing thing. Even if he fails at football, he'll make a tax free fortune in the religion business.

FessJL0861
07-08-2010, 08:07 PM
No, your not a cynic, just a realist with common sense. You must leave here!!

bluestree
07-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey Fess........great Mark Twain. My favorite...."There are three kinds of liars. Liars, damn liars, and staticians." (paraphrase) Guess he was one of the original football gurus.

wade
07-08-2010, 08:48 PM
I respect Tebow for what he has done in college, though I was never a fan, as my Roll Tide seem to met them each year for the SEC Championship. I have to admit, I want to hope he will do well, but at the moment it will have to wait to be seen. If he can overcome the college to pro switch, he could be a heck of a player. But only time will tell, I'll wait to jump on the bandwagon.

FessJL0861
07-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Hey Fess........great Mark Twain. My favorite...."There are three kinds of liars. Liars, damn liars, and staticians." (paraphrase) Guess he was one of the original football gurus.

Dude I almost went with that one. That was the title of a statistics book I had to read in college, and I didn't know it was Twain until I was searching for quotes the other day.

FessJL0861
07-08-2010, 09:00 PM
To be perfectly honest, I don't think any of us want to see him fail. It's human nature to want to see someone do good. Of course I admit I have a serious case of schadenfraude with Tony Romo, nonetheless, as much as I may dislike the Gators or the Tide (to be fair), I certainly don't wish for anyone to be a bust. Perfect example: Jamarcus Russell turned an easter egg hunt into a ****-****-athon in Oakland, but I hope the guy catches on somewhere, learns the system, stays out of trouble (and the drive-thru) and succeeds. As far as opinion is concerned, the kid has overrated, overpaid benchwarmer written all over his contract. I do however hope I am wrong.

Delician
07-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Many people dislike Tebow because of his overt displays of belief. Whether or not you're a Christian, having a knowledge of the Biblical basis behind his actions can help one understand him better, and why he does the things he does.

The first thing that comes to mind is the so-called "Great Commission" which comes at the end of the Gospel of Matthew: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." (Matt. 19-20)

So, as a Christian, Tebow definitely believes it is his job to take part in bringing others to his point of view in regards to God & Jesus. Similarly, there's the parable of the lamp under a bowl which appears in Matthew, Mark and Luke: "No one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden, or under a bowl. Instead he puts it on its stand, so that those who come in may see the light." (Luke 11:33)

So, clearly in his actions Tebow may be trying to be that lamp on a stand and show his faith, rather than simply to have it and keep it to himself.

Now, that being said, there is also some scripture which might go against what he does and how he acts. Again in Matthew, Jesus says: "And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I Say to you, they have received their reward." (Matt. 6:2)

Basically, the concept here is that there are a lot of people who want to appear righteous and holy in a public manner, so that they can gain the praises of men, rather than those of God. That praise of men is the "reward" he's talking about there.

So what's the difference?

Really, it's all about the heart. Does Tebow do these things to gain the praises of men? Or does he do them out of a true desire to serve his God? I don't know the young man, so I couldn't say.

Chilly
07-08-2010, 09:39 PM
FessJL--congratulations on being the first poster to use the term 'schadenfreude' on FPL. I understand what you are saying.

However--and it seems I am in the minority--I wholeheartedly root for Tim Tebow, despite having no interest in the Florida Gators or his particular religious views. So often athletes are told to bottle their views and straddle the politically-correct center line, assuming a business-like mentality. They are told not to express political views or causes, and they waste the platform they have to tell the world how they feel.

With Tim Tebow, not only does he talk the talk, he truly walks the walk. Story after story affirms this, and I am beyond a significant doubt that he truly is a genuine, caring person. I'm not saying we all should be like him--I know I'm not--but I respect the passion he has for his faith and life. It is refreshing to see someone use their athletic platform to promote a positive message that they believe in.

So while I can't stand the Broncos, I have to root for Tebow.

FessJL0861
07-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Again I think we all do. Until he slugs a bouncer in a Dallas strip club @ 0340 a.m. on a weeknight.

Also, do I get bonus points for proper schadenfraude usage as well?

Chilly
07-08-2010, 10:16 PM
The tough part is pronouncing it correctly--so I can't really award a lot of points...

RSConn5
07-09-2010, 04:36 AM
I loved it when Denver picked Tebow. Bronco fans thought we finally found our new franchise QB after Elway retired when Cutler was tearing it up in his third year but the he bailed on the team. I think most Denver fans just really want Tebow to be good so we don't feel like we lost out on Cutler. And who wouldn't want Tebow to succeed? Great player in college but an even greater person. I don't know anybody who doesn't like Tim Tebow except fans for the colleges in the SEC that he beat up on for 4 years.

jvillere
07-12-2010, 08:42 PM
From a pure football standpoint...

The thing that would worry me about him is that his conversion from a college-system QB to a pro-style prospect could be almost entirely hype. He had an awful Senior Bowl and then all of a sudden six weeks later multiple teams are in love with him? I'm skeptical about that quick of a conversion, no matter how high the intangibles are. He was not a very accurate college passer and unless that improves, I don't think he's going to translate. Of course, he played against some pretty fast and fierce SEC defenses, so I could be wrong...

Colts01
07-12-2010, 08:50 PM
He is a lightning bolt for conversation no doubt,and His beliefs do not impact my thoughts on him one bit.Im just sick of hearing about him at least until we actually see what the kid can do when hes got
An NFL blitz breathing down his neck

Pattrick
07-12-2010, 08:58 PM
I've never been a Tebow supporter. I don't have a problem with everyone praising him and getting behind him though. There are way too many examples of how a fan base won't support a polarizing member of their team. I'm glad that he's getting all that support from Broncos fans. I'm even more glad that he's not a member of the 49ers though.

DanTheMan
07-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Does nobody remember the early days of John Elway? That was hype, especially since there was no internet. Luckily, John lived up to it. I have been hating Tebow for years(ROOOLLLL TIIIDE!), but now that he is here, lets enjoy the show. Why not get caught up in the mania? He has been the best player at every level, maybe he can be special in the pros. I don't think he will bust, he simply cares about the game too much to fail like Russell or Leaf. If he isn't a 4000 yard passer, 30 tds-7 ints, 12 wins every year, fine, neither was Elway, Namath, Fouts, Farve, McNabb, etc. Get excited! If he sucks, you can say I told ya so, but if he is great, don't you want to be there to enjoy it?

footballgal
07-22-2010, 12:05 AM
I would prefer that Tim Tebow just go away, because I am so tired of announcers confusing him with Jesus of Nazareth. I like Christianity just fine; it's the Church of Tebow I can't stand. However, I can't argue with this for a second:

I don't think he will bust, he simply cares about the game too much to fail like Russell or Leaf.

I don't think Tim Tebow's going to end up doing much in the NFL, but because of his determination, I wouldn't bet against him.

TheLinc
07-22-2010, 12:11 AM
It's funny, there's always those certain players you hate on the team you hate but you'd love to have them on your own. I think Tebow has finally capitalized as the exception to the rule - I would hate seeing that guy in green and white. Hate.

What I would love, however, is a picture of DeSean and Vick's faces when Tebow asked them to join him in bowing for prayer. "Is this ****** serious?"

cobber66
07-22-2010, 10:53 PM

Hey come on now! We statisticians never lie! People just interpret our numbers wrongly ;)

GoBigOrGoHome
07-22-2010, 11:26 PM
If you can get past the religious stuff, he strikes me as a guy you would want on your team. He has proven to be willing to put in the work to succeed and that counts in sports - a lot. I'm as sick of the hype as anyone, but that is not his fault.

bluestree
07-23-2010, 12:01 AM
I've never been a Tebow supporter. I don't have a problem with everyone praising him and getting behind him though. There are way too many examples of how a fan base won't support a polarizing member of their team. I'm glad that he's getting all that support from Broncos fans. I'm even more glad that he's not a member of the 49ers though.

I have no idea what goes on in Denver, so I may be off base, but if you're talking about the jersey sales, do you think those could be being purchased by church groups or other folks that support him more on religious grounds than the playing grounds?

Tinindian
07-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Why should he be banged on because he's religous? Roger Staubach was religous, any problems with him? I'm no churchgoer but it seems pretty petty if thats the only problem you have with him. You want to get on him because of his wonked out delivery or whatever sure. If theres a problem with him make it something real.

hassan812
07-23-2010, 12:39 AM
The religious stuff does not matter to me...actually It's impressive for a young kid to express his beliefs. Agree w/ them or not at least the kid is not afraid to hide who he really is

Tinindian
07-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Honestly I think it will be at least 3 years before he's anything and he might not be anything more than a backup. The Broncos reached big on him. I've had him on the radar since he was in High School. and watched a ton of his games at UF. He's everything you could want in a QB except actually throwing the darn ball!

GoBigOrGoHome
07-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Why should he be banged on because he's religous? Roger Staubach was religous, any problems with him? I'm no churchgoer but it seems pretty petty if thats the only problem you have with him. You want to get on him because of his wonked out delivery or whatever sure. If theres a problem with him make it something real.

Can't speak for everyone else, but my issue is not with Tebow. It's with the folks who refuse to stop yacking about Tebow. We get it - he's a great leader & a solid citizen who goes above & beyond to help others. So noted. Stop talking about the kid & let him play ball. I hope he does succeed so that all the yack will stop and the media will start talking more about Tebow the player. I'm also interested to see how ESPN & others treat him if he stinks it up. Bet they just kill him & capitalize on all the anti-Tebow sentiment out there. Buttholes.

Tinindian
07-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Can't speak for everyone else, but my issue is not with Tebow. It's with the folks who refuse to stop yacking about Tebow. We get it - he's a great leader & a solid citizen who goes above & beyond to help others. So noted. Stop talking about the kid & let him play ball. I hope he does succeed so that all the yack will stop and the media will start talking more about Tebow the player. I'm also interested to see how ESPN & others treat him if he stinks it up. Bet they just kill him & capitalize on all the anti-Tebow sentiment out there. Buttholes.

Probably right about that. In my opinion, and take that for what it's worth, he shouldn't be anywhere near a field this year.

hassan812
07-23-2010, 12:47 AM

That is a great point. Tebow never asked 4 any of this. It is the creation of the media influential world we live in

GoBigOrGoHome
07-23-2010, 12:53 AM
Probably right about that. In my opinion, and take that for what it's worth, he shouldn't be anywhere near a field this year.

I agree but you know he's gonna play. Hope McD uses the same approach that Bill Walsh used with Joe Montana. Walsh would have Steve Deberg start & play. But when particular situations where Walsh knew Montana would be successful presented themselves, he sent the kid in. Let him gain some confidence & get used to the NFL game without getting him killed. We all know how that worked out. 4 SB appearnces, 4 wins, zero picks thrown. Best QB ever, IMO.

Tinindian
07-23-2010, 01:01 AM
I hope he gets that luxury.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-23-2010, 01:02 AM
In a word -- nofreakingchanceofthat.

BuckeyeRidley
07-23-2010, 01:03 AM
I like Tim Tebow. He's a guy who stands up for what he believes in & will not back down & it's a Good stance too.

I also appreciate & love his college resume & I think that he has a chance in the NFL as well.

I really think the hate of sickness of Tebow-itis came from the media overload; It'll happen a-plenty like it did with USC!!

mkocs6
07-23-2010, 01:04 AM
I think Tebow will be a great NFL tight end. In all seriousness, though, I'm leery of anyone who's taken maybe eight snaps from under center during his entire college career. Denver needs to do a lot of work before this kid is going to be ready to play NFL football, and considering Josh McDaniels has run this franchise like it's the dynasty mode of Madden '11, I'm not sure this is the right place for that to happen.

As far as Tebow himself, I think it's more than a little naive to suggest that he never asked for this. He doesn't want a massive platform for self-promotion, and to promote a religious message that I assume he's dedicated to? I'm not exactly faulting him for it, but let's not pretend he bears no responsibility for and has no stake in Tebow-mania.

Tinindian
07-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Media overload. I think you're right. How can you really dislike this guy. He's a great kid.