PDA

View Full Version : Nine guys on the set on ESPN

GoBigOrGoHome
02-04-2011, 04:16 PM
I just flipped on the TV and caught a glimpse of the SportsCenter Special currently running on ESPN. There are nine freaking guys on the set. Seriously? When is enough going to have to be enough?

bluestree
02-04-2011, 04:54 PM
When is enough going to have to be enough?

Right after Justin Bieber's cameo.

Bengals1181
02-04-2011, 05:08 PM
I don't mind it, as its a group of super bowl champs. They're there for this special occasion.

It's not like its a regular thing.

GoBigOrGoHome
02-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Once I got that, I calmed down.

KabaModernFan
02-04-2011, 06:35 PM
What? Hollywood Squares did it, why not ESPN?

GoBigOrGoHome
02-04-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm surprised you know what the Hollywood Squares is, Kaba.

KabaModernFan
02-04-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm surprised you know what the Hollywood Squares is, Kaba.

I'm familiar with both the original and new versions. Watched a lot of Game Show Network when I was growing up. :D

Wordsworth
02-04-2011, 09:21 PM
I don't mind it, as its a group of super bowl champs. They're there for this special occasion.

It's not like its a regular thing.

If it wasn't a regular thing it wouldn't be a big deal, but it's the same setup for every Monday Night Football game. They'll have five guys in the NFL Live set talking to the four guys on the sideline plus Al and Jon and Ron in the booth. It's extreme overkill

Pruitt
02-05-2011, 10:22 AM
How the hell do nine guys each contribute something to the conversation?

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/video/one-man-takes-on-ten-shouting-analysts-in-the-pile,18939/

FessJL0861
02-05-2011, 11:11 AM
How the hell do nine guys each contribute something to the conversation?

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/video/one-man-takes-on-ten-shouting-analysts-in-the-pile,18939/

The 2 best lines in that clip: "But, But, But, But, But......" and "You sir, are ignorant."

What a phenomenal link. The Onion gets it right every time. Funny thing is though, that kind of looks like Around The Horn.

buzmeg
02-05-2011, 11:17 AM
I just flipped on the TV and caught a glimpse of the SportsCenter Special currently running on ESPN. There are nine freaking guys on the set. Seriously? When is enough going to have to be enough?

My solution is, I don't watch any of these ex-players and uninformed pundits.

The best place for pre-game banter is right here on FPL.

FessJL0861
02-05-2011, 02:07 PM

Disclaimer: This is not a paid spokesman of FP(L). Well, unless you count the FP(L) complimentary thong set we sent him. So, no, this is not a paid spokesman.

Colts01
02-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Pretty soon pregame shows will look like watching a session of parliament on C-span.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/djerc7/parliament_UK.jpg

Pruitt
02-05-2011, 04:35 PM

I don't watch any of the 6 hours of pre-game crap. I've been hearing dozens of experts saying that any one of fifteen players will be the key to the game. Similarly, there are at least a dozen other reasons why Green Bay/Pittsburgh will win.

The older I get, the more I realize that these experts are paid partially or their name, partially for their expertise, partially for their ability to act like their co-pundits are hilarious and mainly for their ability to fill the air with talk. That's why I like Cris as opposed to Dan Dierdorf. He actually says things, rather than throwing noises at the viewer.

ReaderM
02-05-2011, 06:57 PM
I would laugh at the whole 9 man set things if it weren't for the fact that this is no where near the first time they have pulled a stunt like that sigh....

ReaderM
02-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Disclaimer: This is not a paid spokesman of FP(L). Well, unless you count the FP(L) complimentary thong set we sent him. So, no, this is not a paid spokesman.

I ask for all that is holy and pure for Colts to not add any image/photo shop to this at all lol ^_^

Wordsworth
02-05-2011, 07:03 PM
I don't watch any of the 6 hours of pre-game crap. I've been hearing dozens of experts saying that any one of fifteen players will be the key to the game. Similarly, there are at least a dozen other reasons why Green Bay/Pittsburgh will win.

The older I get, the more I realize that these experts are paid partially or their name, partially for their expertise, partially for their ability to act like their co-pundits are hilarious and mainly for their ability to fill the air with talk. That's why I like Cris as opposed to Dan Dierdorf. He actually says things, rather than throwing noises at the viewer.

It is simply impossible to provide a fresh take when you are the 11th person on a set that they've asked to give your opinion. ESPN loves filling their studio with athletes both former and current despite whether it actually provides quality insight and analysis. Everything is pre-game on ESPN. It's all hype and fervor and build-up so that when the final event arrives, it can almost never live up.

Colts01
02-05-2011, 07:15 PM
I ask for all that is holy and pure for Colts to not add any image/photo shop to this at all lol ^_^

You mean your not looking forward to the Menage a trois man crush that is Simmons/Josh Freeman/Blake Griffin:cool:

Wordsworth
02-05-2011, 07:19 PM
I sometimes like to read Simmons when his articles aren't 50 pages, but I think he is best served behind a keyboard and not on television. He has guest starred on PTI a few times and I've always felt he looked very awkward in that sort of format.

DannyMilk
02-06-2011, 01:57 AM
I agree, I LOVE Simmons, clearly, but his articles are too long...and getting back to Hollyweird Squares (Stern reference), who ya got in the center square? I'm throwing Ditka in there, because Ditka, is GOD!

ReaderM
02-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Center square has got to be either Keyshawn or Cris Cater.. no way either one of them is willing to concede all the spotlight that comes with it.

GoBigOrGoHome
02-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Center square has got to be either Keyshawn or Cris Cater.. no way either one of them is willing to concede all the spotlight that comes with it.

Did you mean caterer? The dude with the food is usually front and center. ;);););)