PDA

View Full Version : What steps have been taken by the NFL & NFLPA to prevent repeat brain trauma?

FessJL0861
07-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Dr. P., Cris, Dave, Turk, or Andy,

I was wondering if you could tell us what steps have been taken by the NFL and NFLPA to reduce the risk of brain trauma, post-concussion treatment, and also what levels a player must complete complete before he is cleared to play? Also, what is your medical opinion on concussions and when to draw the line on how much more a player should be subjected too?

Also, I would love for the community to comment on this. If anyone has any thoughts here please let them be know.

Dr Stephen Pomeranz
08-11-2010, 12:17 AM
The NFL is dialed nito the brain injury issue. In medicine,as with all science, it is critical to separate fact from fiction and emotion from reality. Commissioner Goodell strrikes me as a no nonsense guy with a very high ethical standard.

While he is the CEO of an important corporation, that brand is damaged if someone in his position takes any other view

Studies of brain injury, concussion and their sequelae are underway.
The types of injuries are very important in determining which ones are most dangerous.
This requires large numbers of MRI's in different patients and many autopsies to produce reliable data

While this research proceeds, the helmuts and padding continue to improve and research continues on new equipment options. The biggest challenge lies in keeping up with the enhanced prowess of the professional athlete.

They choose voluntarily the game they love just as a soldier chooses the Navy, Army, Air force or Marines with all their risks.

Bear in mind that when two 230 pound athletes collide on the football field it is the equivalent of a sudden 30 mile per hour car collision. Protecting against the damage from this on a weeky basis requires really really smart engineering.

All the best
Dr pomeranz

GoBigOrGoHome
08-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Dr. P., Cris, Dave, Turk, or Andy,

I was wondering if you could tell us what steps have been taken by the NFL and NFLPA to reduce the risk of brain trauma, post-concussion treatment, and also what levels a player must complete complete before he is cleared to play? Also, what is your medical opinion on concussions and when to draw the line on how much more a player should be subjected too?

Also, I would love for the community to comment on this. If anyone has any thoughts here please let them be know.

Great topic, Fess. Most people voting in the poll are saying that it should be the player's decision. As a baseline, I agree that the choice should be left to the player.

How many concussions before the decision is taken away from the player? Just how scrambled do you let a guy's brain get before you say "that's it, you are done"?

InNOutBurgler
08-11-2010, 10:15 AM
I do think the NFl has a responsibility to buy into and mandate the new helmet technologies out there if only to provide a good example for the NCAA and Prep athletes...modeling good behavior and safety can have long term benefits.

FessJL0861
08-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks Dr. P, GoBig, and Burgler for the responses.

You know it reminds me of Pacino's Mike LB'er "Shark" in Any Given Sunday. He was obviously brain scrambled and wanted more money. I am afraid of the repercussions that could ensue if someone decides to think about their paycheck instead of their health. Granted that is just a Hollywood adaptation, but my question goes out to the contributors. Cris, Dave, Turk, Phil, and Coach W, what do you think about the correlation between a paycheck and long term health? Is there a difference between what really happens and the example I just used? I don't think that this generation of athlete is over-committed enough to the team to hurt themselves, but guys still want to get paid. Thoughts???

Polishguy00
08-30-2010, 06:19 PM
I may be crazy and wrong and his stuff maybe cannot ever happen, but I do think that we are heading towards in era for football where player participation will be severely regimented based on concussion study.

Another study was in the Chicago Tribune today stating an increase in concussions for the age group of 8 to 13 in organized sports despite a drop in the overall number of kids playing sports. It states that the injuries can take much longer to heal and have worse lasting effects then for adolescents who suffer concussions.

Check out the article if you get a chance.

FessJL0861
08-31-2010, 09:28 PM
I may be crazy and wrong and his stuff maybe cannot ever happen, but I do think that we are heading towards in era for football where player participation will be severely regimented based on concussion study.

Another study was in the Chicago Tribune today stating an increase in concussions for the age group of 8 to 13 in organized sports despite a drop in the overall number of kids playing sports. It states that the injuries can take much longer to heal and have worse lasting effects then for adolescents who suffer concussions.

Check out the article if you get a chance.

I agree tee-totally. I say within 3-6 years, the NFL will be a completely different beast when it comes to brain injuries. All it takes is one lawsuit before the wall falls. I can't think of anyone in particular, but it will be a guy who started for 2-3 years, you remember his name, and he will SMACK the NFL with the lawsuit of all lawsuits. And he will win. That is going to set the table for very intensive trauma prevention, which is something that is needed. I don't think you should be able to tell the guy whether or not he can play, but at least give him honest options. (for once.)