PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sloans Resigns and I am in Parallel Universe

darvon
02-12-2011, 01:42 PM
On Thursday morning, I started hearing stories about Sloan resigning. As soon as I heard the first story (of many, many) it raised a question. Wasn't he in the news about something else recently? Well I GOOGLEd it and low and behold, Sloan signed a CONTRACT EXTENSION on Monday of this week. 3 days BEFORE resignation. Not one story out of the 3,000 I heard mentioned this as odd.

I obviously am in a parallel universe now where the contract extension never happened. Else why would 1,000 media members think that fact is not worthy of mention.

KabaModernFan
02-12-2011, 01:53 PM
I heard plenty of people on ESPN and NBA TV bring up the fact that he recently signed a contract extension when talking about the story over the last few days.

GoBigOrGoHome
02-12-2011, 02:15 PM
People actually watch NBA TV? Hmm. :)

Andy Freeland
02-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Do you have a goatee? People from alternate universes often have goatees.
http://thetorchonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/south-park-halloween.jpg

darvon
02-12-2011, 03:23 PM
I heard plenty of people on ESPN and NBA TV bring up the fact that he recently signed a contract extension when talking about the story over the last few days.

Then perhaps I just caught the 3,000 that didn't by happenstance. It happens...which would also explain my lack of goatee.

Docta
02-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Why do you care about the media not mentioning his contract extension more than him retiring?

Sad that he didn't get to win just 1 title in his whole career.

darvon
02-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Why do you care about the media not mentioning his contract extension more than him retiring?

Sad that he didn't get to win just 1 title in his whole career.

Because it's not what I would have said, if I knew all the information. I think it is relevant, unusual, and newsworthy that he just signed a contract 3 days before resigning. Truly when I heard the first reports, I thought that I must be misremembering the contract, because they would have surely mentioned it as being so wierd. So I googled it and bam, there it was. So I thought it odd and listened hard at the next report to see if they did it again. And the did, again, and again, and again, and actually I never heard a verbal report where it was mentioned, but Kaba did, so I know that a few reports must have had it.

Again, this isn't so much that I think the reports were bad, but rather repeatedly odd, maybe bridging on bad, but not quite there yet.

I have a lot of issues (which you may have tweaked to by now) on how Sports gets reported. This isn't the worst but it still surprised me.

Wordsworth
02-13-2011, 06:05 AM
Deron Williams comes out looking sort of like a prick in this situation, since many reports acknowledge he and Sloan had an argument prior to his resignation.

wxwax
02-13-2011, 07:19 PM
FWIW, I read of the contract extension in those same reports.

It's not a big deal because Sloan only signed one year deals, every year. And the incident that led to his resignation, although it was the culmination of a number of similar incidents, happened after he signed the one year extension. Sloan lost faith that management and ownership had his back.

ReaderM
02-14-2011, 01:57 AM
Deron Williams comes out looking sort of like a prick in this situation, since many reports acknowledge he and Sloan had an argument prior to his resignation.

Totally agreed.. Sloan was like one of only 5 real coaches left in the NBA.. the fact that he resigns leaves a huge coaching void.. kind of said he didn't seem to go out on his own terms

DannyMilk
02-16-2011, 06:58 AM
agreed with the Williams thing, and by all accounts he never had problems at U of I, or prev. problems with Jazz coaches or staff, so it's weird that it comes out now that he and Sloan had a tiff...I didn't know about the extension, but A) I think Sloan doesn't care about money, I'm guessing it was either frustration overload or b) no one has brought up how ironic it was that his last game was against the BULLS, his former team both playing and coaching...sure, could be coincidence, but I have a feeling that had been planned, more than 3 days before, too.