PDA

View Full Version : Face of the NFL

hassan812
07-09-2010, 04:46 PM
After watching all the hype surrounding the face of the NBA, LeBron James, the last couple of days it got me to thinking who is the face of the NFL? After the inspirational and the heartwarming Super Bowl win for the Saints last year, it very well may be Drew Brees. Either we are all still prisoners of the moment or Brees actually has supplanted Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, and Tom Brady as the face of the league.

However, if either of those three guys win the Super Bowl this year they probably recapture the title. And there are also players that people just love watching like Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald.

So my question is this who is the face of the NFL?

Andy Freeland
07-09-2010, 04:55 PM
I hate going with the obvious answer, but in this case I have to. Peyton Manning is the best player, has the awards, has the records and will have more, has a Super Bowl title and the most endorsements.

Wordsworth
07-09-2010, 05:21 PM
ESPN would like to think that Brett Favre is the face of the league, but it's Peyton Manning for sure. Someone call ESPN and tell them to stop updating us on Favre's daily actions because nobody but ESPN gives a damn.

Tinindian
07-09-2010, 05:33 PM
I guess I'm an oddball here because I don't look at the NFL as having any one face. I just don't think of it in quite those terms. I believe franchises have a face, but if the league had a face it would, to me , be Roger Goodell.

Chilly
07-09-2010, 06:11 PM
The Supreme Court did rule that the NFL is not a single entity...

But currently, I will tip my hat to Brees. It will fade, though, and more than likely return to Peyton.

DannyMilk
07-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Peyton Manning, not even close

robthemany
07-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Without doubt peyton. Say his name to a woman and they will know who he is. That is the test.

HiloVulcan
07-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Say my name to a woman and they may know who I am, but that doesn't make the face of a league. Maybe the town though.

Wordsworth
07-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Say my name to a woman and they may know who I am, but that doesn't make the face of a league. Maybe the town though.

Haha well you live in Hawaii there's what, 27 people that live there? :P

Colts01
07-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Peyton Manning, not even close
here here.well said ninja danny

PrestigeWorldwide
07-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Yup it is definitely Peyton, now all he has to do to keep that status is not rip out the hearts of all Colts fans by announcing he is taking his talent to South Beach on national tv.

DannyMilk
07-10-2010, 05:30 PM
well done, nice sn as well

BayouBoys
07-11-2010, 11:44 PM
It has to be Peyton but a lot of people have learned the name Drew Brees and respect it. He just doesn't want to do all those commercials that Peyton does. Peyton hits jackpot every time a funny commercial is written (does he have in his contract that comedians must read the commercial and make sure it is at least a little bit funny?)

And by face of the league, for not even fans, it has to be peyton. But Brees will be climbing...I mean..the guy is on madden.

Colts01
07-11-2010, 11:49 PM
It has to be Peyton but a lot of people have learned the name Drew Brees and respect it. He just doesn't want to do all those commercials that Peyton does. Peyton hits jackpot every time a funny commercial is written (does he have in his contract that comedians must read the commercial and make sure it is at least a little bit funny?)

And by face of the league, for not even fans, it has to be peyton. But Brees will be climbing...I mean..the guy is on madden.

Most people put Brees in the top 3 qbs no doubt,we love him here in Indy as well as he went to Purdue.

HiloVulcan
07-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Haha well you live in Hawaii there's what, 27 people that live there? :P

DUDE, talk about stereotyping! What year is this, 1967?

C'mon, there's at least 30.

DannyMilk
07-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Olin Kreutz left...29

badgers7
07-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Peyton Manning might be as close to a "face of the league" as possible but I am going to agree with an earlier statement and say that there is not one person that comes to mind with the entire league. I associate the NFL with my favorite team or player. It is not like the NBA where you associate the league with Lebron or Kobe. But Peyton Manning is definitely not the first thing I think of when someone mentions the NFL.

JUMPAROUND
07-12-2010, 06:00 PM
What owner is most likely to go on a rant like Dan Gilbert?

HiloVulcan
07-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Olin Kreutz left...29

Just saw a Samoan family smuggle in off of a cruiseliner. We have 35 now. And it looks like they brought fresh coconuts. Need to organize a luau to welcome them..we will be meeting under the rainbow by Kamehameha's hut if anyone is interested. It will be B.Y.O.L. (Bring your own lei)

SpartaChris
07-12-2010, 08:25 PM
I picked Drew Brees as the current face of the NFL. With his book tour and all the talk shows, he's got more public exposure than any current player at the moment. Otherwise I totally agree with the Manning pick.

FessJL0861
07-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I am sold that Brees has the nations attention (amazing QB). That being said, I think Manning has been the focal point for a bit longer. Not to say that Brees won't take it away if he gets a few more rings before all is said and done. Sadly though, there was a time when Pac-Man and Roethlisberger were the temporary faces of league. Glad those days have passed.

Just saw a Samoan family smuggle in off of a cruiseliner. We have 35 now. And it looks like they brought fresh coconuts. Need to organize a luau to welcome them..we will be meeting under the rainbow by Kamehameha's hut if anyone is interested. It will be B.Y.O.L. (Bring your own lei)

Side note, is that off the H3 exit for the Like Like or the Kam Hwy?

BuckeyeRidley
07-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Gotta Go with Peyton Manning!! He's a Guy who does commercials well and plays well also! Serena Williams has been accused of being unfocused on Tennis to pursue other interests outside of her sport but I disagree with that talk as she handles it well like Peyton Manning. Both athletes can houk anything and still be strong competitors in their sport (Remember the Oreos commercial with Venus/Serena & Peyton/Eli & the line "It's on like Donkey Kong!"?) Peyton also has enough time in his career to top more elite records, win Super Bowls and to "Cut that Meat!"

Colts01
07-12-2010, 09:30 PM
I thought Peyton was great on sat.night live...this cracked me up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caeITRkDrtg

HiloVulcan
07-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Side note, is that off the H3 exit for the Like Like or the Kam Hwy?

Shoots braddah dat be on O'ahu. Dis be on da Big Island. You no can compare da two. We da real kama'aina.

You like that? (I'm working on my pidgin).

Seriously, these Samoan coconuts are delicious.

Oh, and no face of the NFL. Today's NFL is like yesteryear's NBA of the 80's. You may remember a time when the league was defined by teams, and that's who people identifed with. The Sixers were our favorite, not Charles Barkley. We did not all convert to Suns' fans when he left. Nowadays, the brand of the superstar is stronger than the brand of the team. Millions of people could care less if 'Bron 'Bron was a Cav or not, they just like his shoes, and a million or so more just became Heat fans.

The NFL paradigm is similar to the one in use by the NBA during it's glory days. People grow up loving the Cowboys whether or not the starting quarterback is Tony Blowmo' or Quincy "White Lines" Carter.

Pattrick
07-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Peyton has done a great job of representing the NFL brand. My brother in law is a Titans fan and always brings up the fact that Manning had some sort of sexual harassment issue while at UT? I could do the easy thing and google the whole thing but I'm just a little too lazy for that.