PDA

View Full Version : NFL Goal Line Defenses

ebfz58
02-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi Turk,

I've noticed most NFL goal line defenses are 6-2-3, or 5-3-3. Are the 3-4 defenses 5-3-3, and 4-3 defenses 6-2-3 generally? What alignments and personnel groupings do the zone blitz teams use? Any input from pros, and fans is welcome. Especially, GB, Washington, and Pittsburgh fans.

Thanks,
ebfz58
:)

Bengals1181
02-22-2011, 03:10 PM
so what is all this for?

Turk Schonert
02-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Whether a team uses a 5-3 or a 6-2 goal line defense is determined by the preference of the defensive coordinator or head coach. A 6-2 uses 4 DL and 4 LB's whereas a 5-3 uses 5 DL and 3 LB's. For an offense, the backside LB is the hardest guy to get to in the 6-2, the MLB is the toughest to get to in the 5-3.

Formations are run by the offense so I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. A defense's alignment is determined by the formation of the offense. Zone blitzes are also determined by the offense's formation, as they pertain to strong side, weak side or short side of the field blitzes. Also, zone blitzes can automatically change (as to who's coming) by the way an offense lines up.

ebfz58
02-22-2011, 04:20 PM
so what is all this for?

Hi Bengals 1181,

I am an advanced fan who wants to someday be a DC. I've been following the game religiously for 20 years, I'm 26 now. I would just like to have it for my own personal knowledge. The 3-4 zone blitz defense and its formation variations is my favorite and preferred defense. I already have over 50 pages of research. It's just basics, not plays, terminology, or tendencies. I would like to eventually create a playbook unique to myself. I am studying football through Coaches' Choice dvds and books, watching games, and listening to pre and post game analysis, since no coaches (HS, College, or pro) are jumping at the chance to take me on right now. I am writting these posts, so I can fill in the gaps of my own knowledge, but also to know what I need to study.

ebfz58
02-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Whether a team uses a 5-3 or a 6-2 goal line defense is determined by the preference of the defensive coordinator or head coach. A 6-2 uses 4 DL and 4 LB's whereas a 5-3 uses 5 DL and 3 LB's. For an offense, the backside LB is the hardest guy to get to in the 6-2, the MLB is the toughest to get to in the 5-3.

Formations are run by the offense so I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. A defense's alignment is determined by the formation of the offense. Zone blitzes are also determined by the offense's formation, as they pertain to strong side, weak side or short side of the field blitzes. Also, zone blitzes can automatically change (as to who's coming) by the way an offense lines up.

Thanks for the info Turk. I heard Jon Gruden on MNF, say most NFL teams run a 5-3, or 6-2, so I was wondering which teams did which. I figured 5-3 was 3-4 teams (More LBs), and 6-2 (More DL) was 4-3 teams, but it doesn't really matter, does it?

Should I say alignment, instead of saying formations, when describing the defense on the field? Ex. Base 3-4 (2 DEs, 1 NT, 2 OLBs, 2 MLBs, 2 CBs 2 Ss), or 2-4-5 Nickel.

Turk Schonert
02-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the info Turk. I heard Jon Gruden on MNF, say most NFL teams run a 5-3, or 6-2, so I was wondering which teams did which. I figured 5-3 was 3-4 teams (More LBs), and 6-2 (More DL) was 4-3 teams, but it doesn't really matter, does it?

Should I say alignment, instead of saying formations, when describing the defense on the field? Ex. Base 3-4 (2 DEs, 1 NT, 2 OLBs, 2 MLBs, 2 CBs 2 Ss), or 2-4-5 Nickel.

Alignment is how the defense lines up to the offensive formation (over, under, single high safety etc.). A Base 34 or 43, a Nickel 42 or 33, a Dime 41 or 32 are personnel groupings.

ebfz58
02-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Alignment is how the defense lines up to the offensive formation (over, under, single high safety etc.). A Base 34 or 43, a Nickel 42 or 33, a Dime 41 or 32 are personnel groupings.

Hi Turk,

Now that you corrected my use of proper lingo. I can explain my ?s more clearly. Thank you. I know what I wanted, but didn't know how to articulate it. Sorry about that.

Do the 3-4 Zone Blitz teams use an Over alignment, Under, or both? Can you align over in a 3-4? I know that the 1-gap 3-4 Wade Phillips uses under, and 2-gap Bill Parcells' uses a scissor alignment? I know that the 3-4 Zone is a hybrid 1 and 2 gap, so I was curious as to which one they use.

Turk Schonert
02-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi Turk,

Now that you corrected my use of proper lingo. I can explain my ?s more clearly. Thank you. I know what I wanted, but didn't know how to articulate it. Sorry about that.

Do the 3-4 Zone Blitz teams use an Over alignment, Under, or both? Can you align over in a 3-4? I know that the 1-gap 3-4 Wade Phillips uses under, and 2-gap Bill Parcells' uses a scissor alignment? I know that the 3-4 Zone is a hybrid 1 and 2 gap, so I was curious as to which one they use.

3-4 Zone blitz teams usually blitz from a straight up 3-4 look or an under look, but can wind up in an over alignment because of the offense's formation. Bill Belichick uses a 2 gap scheme and isn't considered to be a zone blitz coach. Wade Phillips and Dick LeBeau like to use more line movement and 1 gap schemes to go with their zone blitz schemes.

Bengals1181
02-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi Bengals 1181,

I am an advanced fan who wants to someday be a DC. I've been following the game religiously for 20 years, I'm 26 now. I would just like to have it for my own personal knowledge. The 3-4 zone blitz defense and its formation variations is my favorite and preferred defense. I already have over 50 pages of research. It's just basics, not plays, terminology, or tendencies. I would like to eventually create a playbook unique to myself. I am studying football through Coaches' Choice dvds and books, watching games, and listening to pre and post game analysis, since no coaches (HS, College, or pro) are jumping at the chance to take me on right now. I am writting these posts, so I can fill in the gaps of my own knowledge, but also to know what I need to study.

cool. good luck.

ebfz58
02-23-2011, 02:49 AM
cool. good luck.

Hi Turk,

One more ? and I'm done. Will you look at my thread about Washington, Pittsburgh, Green Bay defensive personnel groupings. It says Washington, Pittsburgh, Green Bay defensive formations, but I'm not able to edit the thread starter, but I edited the post and its name to say Washington, Pittsburgh, Green Bay defensive personnel groupings and make my ? more clearer.

Thanks,
ebfz58

ebfz58
02-23-2011, 10:54 PM

Hi Turk,

Do you know the defensive goal line personnel grouping of Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and Washington prefer when offenses get close to the goal line?

Thanks,
ebfz58