PDA

View Full Version : Dick LeBeau 3-4 both 1 and 2 gap schemes?

ebfz58
02-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Hi Turk,

I know Dick LeBeau likes to use more line movement and 1 gap schemes to go with his zone blitz schemes.

Why is the Dick LeBeau 3-4 defense considered both a 1 and 2 gap defense as a whole?

What does he like to do in regards to his 2 gap schemes, and how do they make his defense a hybrid of both?

Any input from the pros, and fans alike is welcome. Anyone?

Thanks,
ebfz58
:)

ebfz58
03-01-2011, 02:43 PM
I thought this was a good question, but maybe not. Or is my question kind of confusing? Isn't the Dick LeBeau 3-4 a combination of 1 and 2 gap schemes as a whole defense, or not?

Turk Schonert
03-01-2011, 03:03 PM
I thought this was a good question, but maybe not. Or is my question kind of confusing? Isn't the Dick LeBeau 3-4 a combination of 1 and 2 gap schemes as a whole defense, or not?

LeBeau's defense uses both schemes.

ebfz58
03-01-2011, 05:46 PM
LeBeau's defense uses both schemes.

Thank you very much sir.

James
03-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Unless I missed it, nobody has provided any answer other than re-affirming that he uses an element of both. When he's got a guy like Hampton who is so big and strong(and even Aaron Smith) he's asking Hamp to occupy more than one area or 'gaps' and be stoudt at the point of attack. Then your LB's can make plays based off of that.

One gap is generally more of an up-the-field type of player. As an avid Steeler fan I like Lebeau very much but I think Ziggy Hood is playing out of position based on this type of philosophy. Hood's got much more up-field potential but is being asked to basically tie up blockers rather than be a force in the backfield.

ebfz58
03-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Unless I missed it, nobody has provided any answer other than re-affirming that he uses an element of both. When he's got a guy like Hampton who is so big and strong(and even Aaron Smith) he's asking Hamp to occupy more than one area or 'gaps' and be stoudt at the point of attack. Then your LB's can make plays based off of that.

One gap is generally more of an up-the-field type of player. As an avid Steeler fan I like Lebeau very much but I think Ziggy Hood is playing out of position based on this type of philosophy. Hood's got much more up-field potential but is being asked to basically tie up blockers rather than be a force in the backfield.

Thank you James. That answers my question fully now.

Turk Schonert
03-01-2011, 11:32 PM
In a 3-4 two gap scheme, the nose and both DE's are responsible for 2 gaps apiece, the outside backers responsibilities are to hold the edge and the inside LBers are free to make plays. Dick LeBeau uses a lot of zone blitz with line movement. When the line is involved in movement, they can't be responsible for two gaps. The two gap scheme is used when they aren't pressuring the offense.

James
03-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Thank you James. That answers my question fully now.

No sweat bro glad I could help.

ebfz58
03-02-2011, 02:48 AM
In a 3-4 two gap scheme, the nose and both DE's are responsible for 2 gaps apiece, the outside backers responsibilities are to hold the edge and the inside LBers are free to make plays. Dick LeBeau uses a lot of zone blitz with line movement. When the line is involved in movement, they can't be responsible for two gaps. The two gap scheme is used when they aren't pressuring the offense.

Now I know why they use both.

Thanks