PDA

View Full Version : Packers cut A.J. Hawk

Andy Freeland
03-02-2011, 05:52 PM
PFT is reporting that the Packers cut Hawk rather than paying him a guaranteed $10.5M next year. Apparently some people saw this coming, but I didn't.

ScottDCP
03-02-2011, 05:59 PM
PFT is reporting that the Packers cut Hawk rather than paying him a guaranteed $10.5M next year. Apparently some people saw this coming, but I didn't.

Those people are accountants, lawyers, sharks, and Don Shula.

Ragar
03-02-2011, 06:14 PM
And Packers fans...

And by that I mean every Packer fan saw this coming...after signing Bishop, the only way Hawk was staying at that salary was to renegotiate an extension at reduced pay...

mkocs6
03-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Hey, Hawk's a much better fit in a 4-3 than a 3-4. I think he should test the market before he re-signs for too much less in Green Bay. I wouldn't mind if my team paid him...

SpartaChris
03-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I saw it coming at some point. It's mostly a procedural thing and the Packers are still negotiating a new deal, which will hopefully be signed by tomorrow night.

Ragar
03-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I saw it coming at some point. It's mostly a procedural thing and the Packers are still negotiating a new deal, which will hopefully be signed by tomorrow night.

exactly, the sides are supposedly still talking, however there is a chance that Hawk will attempt to test teh (non-existant) free agent market first before signing again in GB.

Bengals1181
03-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Come home AJ.

SpartaChris
03-03-2011, 12:39 AM
AJ Hawk headed back to GB to presumably sign a 5 year extension:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/03/report-a-j-hawk-flying-back-to-green-bay/

msclemons
03-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Hey AJ, you just won the Super Bowl! Where are you going?

"the unemployment line"

The NFL can be harsh.

darvon
03-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Remember AJ is NOT a free agent. He is unemployed.

If the new cba restricts FA because of a shortened offseason, he might be the only guy out there, which could be good.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Remember AJ is NOT a free agent. He is unemployed.

If the new cba restricts FA because of a shortened offseason, he might be the only guy out there, which could be good.

How so? IMO, Ohio State linebackers are expected to flow to the ball and make tackles. In the NFL they are expected to read offensive sets and react accordingly by dropping into coverage, blitzing, stepping into the running lane, etc. In short, Buckeye linebackers generally underperform in the pros. AJ Hawk is a prime example.

mkocs6
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
How so? IMO, Ohio State linebackers are expected to flow to the ball and make tackles. In the NFL they are expected to read offensive sets and react accordingly by dropping into coverage, blitzing, stepping into the running lane, etc. In short, Buckeye linebackers generally underperform in the pros. AJ Hawk is a prime example.

...sounds like someone hasn't beaten Ohio State in a while.

In all seriousness, though, Ohio State has produced some pretty good 4-3 linebackers recently (Hawk before the switch in Green Bay, James Laurinaitis got off to a pretty good start in St. Louis), but they've struggled more in the 3-4 system (Carpenter in Dallas, Hawk later). All the same, Hawk was a captain in the playoffs and started most of last season because of injury, yeah? I think it's a little hasty write off the Ohio State linebacker as an underperformer in general, especially since (long term) you're looking at a guy like Spielman, Mike Vrabel, or even Katzenmoyer (who looked to be developing nicely before a neck injury ended his career). All things considered, I think you have to conclude that the Ohio State linebacker has been pretty good.

SpartaChris
03-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Hawk signed a 5 year extension today, so y'all can get off my kool-aid!

msclemons
03-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Dang, the unemployment office line NEVER moves that fast in California.

packa7x
03-22-2011, 03:52 PM
I think underperformed is relative. If Hawk was taken at pick 38 instead of 5, he'd be a great pick. Because he's a top 5 pick, people are quick to assume he's a bust or he's underperforming. Let's not forget, he was the "safest" pick in the draft. That doesn't mean he's a Clay Matthews, that means he's a solid 100+ tackler. He's averaging 102 tackles a year, and almost 2 sacks and 2 picks a year all while being only a situational player last year and not playing in 1 game this year. For a guy who was considered a liability as a pass coverage LB, he scored career highs in INTs and passes defended this season as well, and his tackle total was the 2nd highest of his career.