PDA

View Full Version : The Emergence of "Spring" in the North Woods

GoBigOrGoHome
03-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Yeah...

The next time I see a commercial about cutting the lawn or trimming the hedges or planting a garden, I'm going freaking postal.

Fair warning...

Time stamp on this snapshot? About 10 minutes ago. Three weeks ago that snow drift was easily two feet higher. Maybe three. I'll sharpen my mower blades on May 1st.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Pruitt
03-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Don't know what's worse. Two days ago, it snowed and then immediately started to rain. 48 hours later, it's still raining.

Thank God my basement is waterproofed.

SpartaChris
03-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Sunny and mid 70's here! Shorts and flip flop weather! :)

msclemons
03-12-2011, 03:34 AM
GoBig, I lived one winter in Denver and dealt with snow like that. I ran like a little girl all the way back to California.

I'll never understand why people decide to live in those sorts of conditions. "Hey, the ground is thawed enough to bury grandpa now", "Goddamn, nothing tastes better than frozen moose jerky"

I mean, wtf... get the hell out of there man.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-12-2011, 09:27 AM
GoBig, I lived one winter in Denver and dealt with snow like that. I ran like a little girl all the way back to California.

I'll never understand why people decide to live in those sorts of conditions. "Hey, the ground is thawed enough to bury grandpa now", "Goddamn, nothing tastes better than frozen moose jerky"

I mean, wtf... get the hell out of there man.

Nah. Just the winter blahs. In the summer, I get to see this off the end of the dock.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-16-2011, 05:42 PM
It's 48 degrees (F) here today. Enough snow has melted that I can actually see a corner of the top of the picnic table. ;)

brauneyz
03-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Did a short hike in a nearby canyon (yeah, I'm traveling again) and ran into a couple cute biology grad students who assured me that a really cool waterfall was just up the trail about a half hour. Followed the stream, crossing over frequently to avoid the poison oak and still managed to keep my feet relatively dry. Went about 45 min. and figured I must have misunderstood the young men and headed back. Set off the sensors and was promptly greeting by the Border Patrol. Nice guy. You guessed it - the waterfall was just around the next bend. All in all, a good day!

Glad you are having a bit of a spring thaw, Biggie, but stay off the lake if you're ice skating!

GoBigOrGoHome
03-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Did a short hike in a nearby canyon (yeah, I'm traveling again) and ran into a couple cute biology grad students who assured me that a really cool waterfall was just up the trail about a half hour. Followed the stream, crossing over frequently to avoid the poison oak and still managed to keep my feet relatively dry. Went about 45 min. and figured I must have misunderstood the young men and headed back. Set off the sensors and was promptly greeting by the Border Patrol. Nice guy. You guessed it - the waterfall was just around the next bend. All in all, a good day!

Glad you are having a bit of a spring thaw, Biggie, but stay off the lake if you're ice skating!

My neighbor decided to bore out a new ice fishing hole. He had to quit when his ice auger hit its max depth of 38". Normal ice thickness is 18-24". I'll be lucky to safely put in the dock & the boat before Memorial Day. Happy Spring!!

msclemons
03-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Well GoBig, while I was enjoying a sunny 65° day here we did have an earthquake that knocked out some power lines. I guess things balance out.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-22-2011, 02:34 AM
Just for North Woods Gits & Shiggles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRAMwOFILgw

Pruitt
03-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Those robins are about to get an Arctic blast. Poor suckers, happens every year.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Those robins are about to get an Arctic blast. Poor suckers, happens every year.

Funny you should mention robins. I saw the first of them yesterday. Saw an eagle as well. He was flying figure eights out over the lake getting ready to do some fishing once the ice melts. The bears are coming out of hibernation and the smell is atrocious (think skunk + poop + urine + dirty socks). And the daylilies over the septic tank are pushing up through the snow.

All of them are in for at least one more heavy dose of winter.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-22-2011, 01:54 PM

brauneyz, I wasn't kidding when I said the ice was 38+" thick. The freaking Ice Road Truckers could make the 2.5 mile end to end lake run without going under. I'm a big dude. But if you dropped me out of a jet airliner I would not break through.

Enjoy the hiking there in SoCal. Don't get bit by a snake. If you ever get a chance to visit Michigan's Upper Peninsula, here's a waterfall for you to check out. I'll let the pictures do the talking. This is Tahquemenon Falls.

http://www.google.com/images?q=tahquamenon+falls+michigan&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ACAW_enUS340US340&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VdOITZPXCemV0QGpufHiDQ&ved=0CHIQsAQ&biw=1335&bih=542

brauneyz
03-22-2011, 06:42 PM
brauneyz, I wasn't kidding when I said the ice was 38+" thick. The freaking Ice Road Truckers could make the 2.5 mile end to end lake run without going under. I'm a big dude. But if you dropped me out of a jet airliner I would not break through.

Enjoy the hiking there in SoCal. Don't get bit by a snake. If you ever get a chance to visit Michigan's Upper Peninsula, here's a waterfall for you to check out. I'll let the pictures do the talking. This is Tahquemenon Falls.

http://www.google.com/images?q=tahquamenon+falls+michigan&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ACAW_enUS340US340&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VdOITZPXCemV0QGpufHiDQ&ved=0CHIQsAQ&biw=1335&bih=542

Thx for the gorgeous pix, Big. Kinda reminds me of Niagara Falls. Michigan's UP is on my list, hopefully summer of '12 or '13. I'll holler when I get close so you can direct me to the best brewpub. First round's on me.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Thx for the gorgeous pix, Big. Kinda reminds me of Niagara Falls. Michigan's UP is on my list, hopefully summer of '12 or '13. I'll holler when I get close so you can direct me to the best brewpub. First round's on me.

Deal.

Put this on your list. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

http://www.google.com/images?q=pictured+rocks+michigan&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ACAW_enUS340US340&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ciyJTaqfBui40QG7_vzlDQ&ved=0CGMQsAQ&biw=1335&bih=542

And Sleeping Bear Dunes.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&pq=pictured+rocks+michigan&xhr=t&q=sleeping+bear+dunes&cp=0&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ACAW_enUS340US340&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tljp130083566476608&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1y2JTanlLtSz0QG7zsDtDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFkQsAQ&biw=1335&bih=542

The blight in places like Detroit & Flint shape how most of the world views Michigan. It is a damned shame, too. This is a phenomenal place to vacation. The three spots I'm sharing here barely scratch the surface.

mkocs6
03-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Northern Michigan is beautiful. My parents like to vacation there, been there a couple times myself. It's not my preferred spot, but that doesn't make it any less gorgeous (nor does it really matter, as an impoverished graduate student can't go anywhere that isn't related to research anyway). He usually stays on the northern rim of the Lower Peninsula--Harbor Springs, Charlevoix, or Petoskey, most of the time. It's charming in the summer, but as a skier I could probably find something to do in the winter. Oh, the things I could do with some money...

But anyway, one time we were up there, we drove over to the Sleeping Bear Dunes. Just a word, brauneyz, since GoBig didn't tell you--don't walk down them to the coast unless you want to devote a couple hours to that little adventure. The trip down is fine, but the journey back up is exhausting, time-consuming, and you'll be absolutely covered in sand. Just a warning.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Northern Michigan is beautiful. My parents like to vacation there, been there a couple times myself. It's not my preferred spot, but that doesn't make it any less gorgeous (nor does it really matter, as an impoverished graduate student can't go anywhere that isn't related to research anyway). He usually stays on the northern rim of the Lower Peninsula--Harbor Springs, Charlevoix, or Petoskey, most of the time. It's charming in the summer, but as a skier I could probably find something to do in the winter. Oh, the things I could do with some money...

But anyway, one time we were up there, we drove over to the Sleeping Bear Dunes. Just a word, brauneyz, since GoBig didn't tell you--don't walk down them to the coast unless you want to devote a couple hours to that little adventure. The trip down is fine, but the journey back up is exhausting, time-consuming, and you'll be absolutely covered in sand. Just a warning.

That walk back up is a mother****er. Did it for the first time when I was 8 or 9. It was about 95 degrees outside. Walking uphill in deep sand on a hot, humid day is not recommended.

Rent an ATV. Much more enjoyable.

mkocs6
03-22-2011, 09:08 PM
I think I was 16. Sweet Jesus, it was awful. Pretty good eating in northern Michigan, too (really, throughout all of the Great Lakes). Excellent local produce. Northern Michigan even has some respectable wine--I know you don't think of Cabernet Sauvignon when you think of the Midwest, but there are some nice microclimates to be found. If you think back to a year that had a pretty hot summer, the growing season was probably long enough to produce nicely matured grapes to make a good cab. Believe it, California--you're not the only game in town.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-22-2011, 09:33 PM
One from my hometown:

Ann Arbor Art Fair. 800 exhibitors selling all kinds of arts, crafts, music, clothing. 150 restaurants & bars. They close down 80% of downtown. Amazing. Half a million people attend each year. http://www.artfairs.visitannarbor.org/generalinfo/

packa7x
03-22-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm from Jersey...we have literally all weather at almost any time (Friday it was sunny and 80, yesterday it snowed) but we never get hit too hard with anything. Enjoy the snow :)

GoBigOrGoHome
03-22-2011, 09:39 PM
I think I was 16. Sweet Jesus, it was awful. Pretty good eating in northern Michigan, too (really, throughout all of the Great Lakes). Excellent local produce. Northern Michigan even has some respectable wine--I know you don't think of Cabernet Sauvignon when you think of the Midwest, but there are some nice microclimates to be found. If you think back to a year that had a pretty hot summer, the growing season was probably long enough to produce nicely matured grapes to make a good cab. Believe it, California--you're not the only game in town.

Good call on the produce & wine, 6. Michigan has some of the most fertile farm land in the world. If you are ever driving here and see a roadside fruit stand, make it a point to stop. The bi-color corn they grow here is so good they call it "peaches & cream".

/loves being here in August when the farms start turning out their best crops.

Pruitt
03-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Drove through a white out today. Stupid nature.

packa7x
03-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Good old NJ...sunny and 80 on Friday...snowing today.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Drove through a white out today. Stupid nature.

The storm that is hitting you right now dropped a fresh 9 inches here. At least it covers up some of the bear stench.

packa7x
03-23-2011, 06:03 PM
The storm that is hitting you right now dropped a fresh 9 inches here. At least it covers up some of the bear stench.

How are you not completely buried alive?

brauneyz
03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
How are you not completely buried alive?

Dontcha know? Biggie's nine feet tall!

Over/under on the first to insert penis joke here... :p

packa7x
03-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Dontcha know? Biggie's nine feet tall!

Over/under on the first to insert penis joke here... :p

I thought they called him Biggie "Smalls"?

GoBigOrGoHome
03-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Twelve.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Feet, that is.

packa7x
03-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Feet, that is.

You know what they say...big feet big...shoes....

GoBigOrGoHome
03-23-2011, 10:20 PM

Let's not turn this into the official dick joke thread.

brauneyz
03-23-2011, 10:22 PM

Hey packa, you missed a great season of drinking games centering around Favre in the chat room. Hopefully, we'll have football again and the little man jokes will resume. I mean, it will be about time for Brett to reconsider retirement, right? :)

GoBigOrGoHome
03-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Hey packa, you missed a great season of drinking games centering around Favre in the chat room. Hopefully, we'll have football again and the little man jokes will resume. I mean, it will be about time for Brett to reconsider retirement, right? :)

I spent three weeks in an alcohol-induced coma after that little caht room run.

packa7x
03-23-2011, 10:54 PM

Ben Leber was on PFT talking about a possible Favre comeback...I went ape**** on my FB..

It's insane. Like we get it Brett you like football, your wife isn't puttin out, your daughter is a whore and is popping out unwed babies...just go away.

I really don't like him.