PDA

View Full Version : NFL "Secrets"

DannyMilk
07-11-2010, 02:20 AM
I always find it interesting to hear about the little things that people watch for, or that people make fun of. Here in Chicago, our radio announcer, Jeff Joniak, has a lot of little quips we think are fun...whether it's fun to make fun of him or just funny to hear, we are still debating, even though everyone loves his enthusiasm. Also, a few years ago when Jo** Shoo* was our coordinator, we knew, that on 3rd and 8, that FRIGGIN screen pass was coming. So, just out of curiosity (and other Bear fans that feel I left stuff out), what little things are unknown to outsiders that everyone knows about in your city that maybe doesn't make it on sportscenter?

BayouBoys
07-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Hm, this is interesting. I wish you would have asked me this question when Aaron Brooks was still QB. It was just ridiculous. The whole city knew that Jim Haslett and Aaron had become great buddies and they would party at each others houses. Haslett was never going to cut him and play Delhomme. Espn always made fun of Aaron (the guy threw the ball backwards to an Olineman..come on!) and asked why he wasn't benched...The dome chanted for Jake and we knew it would never happen. Just too funny.

I think a lot of my friends laugh when people say "NAWLINs" on tv...it's so annoying. No one says that down here. Also for some reason the saints are so weak against the screen. It's just one of those headaches that have always gotten us for a while. Pretty funny. I think no one really knew about how our great radio god, Buddy Diliberto (Buddy D) said if the saints would ever win he would wear a dress and walk down to the quarter. Well the poor man died before the saints could win one so when he did everyone dressed up in a dress in did that walk. Of course there was a lot of alcohol involved!

You might know Buddy D as the creator of wearing a Bag over your head because he didn't want people to know he was going to the saints game. The guy was great and loved the team more than anyone.

Colts01
07-12-2010, 12:07 AM
when Peyton gets happy feet we are in trouble

DaBearsFan
07-12-2010, 12:08 AM
A buddy of mine, who is a big Lions fan, judges bad coaching decisions on a scale of 1 to "We'll take the wind".

The secret being, of course, that the Lions are still bitter about that decision.

NickMykita
07-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Back when Willie Parker was the running back for the Steelers, if you heard Ben Roethlisberger call out "Black Lightning!" at the line of scrimmage, you knew it was a handoff up the middle.

Kosar19
07-12-2010, 05:50 PM
My wife and I always laugh when listening to the Browns on the radio. Jim Donovan is the play-by-play, and is pretty good, but Doug Dieken gets us rolling. It's a high level of unintentional comedy. The play will be over and Doug will chime in with some incredible insight like "well, you see, when they didn't block the linebacker, he came in and tackled the QB in the backfield. That'll count as a sack" which is always followed up by the somewhat bemused and pitty ridden response from Donovan "Uh, Thanks Doug!" Anytime one of us makes an obvious statement to the other one, we'll reply "Uh, Thanks Doug!"

DannyMilk
07-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Sounds like our White Sox radio team...Ed Farmer (very deadpan delivery, but very likable and smart): "Darrin, you ever hit against Roger Clemens?" Darrin Jackson (dumb, clueless former player): "Have I ever gotten a hit off of him? No...If that's what you were asking hahaha" Farmer responds: "So the answer is yes...here's the 3-1 to Konerko"...It's so funny and sounds pretty similar to McCarver for Fox Baseball as well.

Polishguy00
07-12-2010, 06:01 PM
At Soldier Field, there is this thing at the games where when a TV timeout comes up, the PA announcer comes on and says, "There's a time out." The stadium yells out, "Where?" The announcer then states, "On the field." The stadium answers again with, "Oohhh." It gets old during the game, but I always get a chuckle the first time it happens every single game.

Danny, please do not get me started on the five-lettered coordinator who shall not be named and his love for the screen. I remember when he once bragged that he had 27 different types of WR screen in the playbook. I thought to myself, "Oh great. 27 different plays guaranteed to lose yardage." The WR screen in the NFL is one of the worst plays to call in my book simply because the NFL does not often had the match-up issues and speed issues the NCAA does.

A fun secret? Um, how about how often we prentended to be a drunk Kyle Orton every time he threw a deep pass out of bounds because of a few photos that came out in Chicago while he was there. The reason why it looked like Cedric Benson was not trying 100% in Chicago is because he wasn't.

ScottDCP
07-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Tunch Ilkin's hand off the ground, along with Jon Runyan's heel. EVERYONE knew about Ilkin. Strahan let it out about how they did so well against the Eagles during their Super Bowl year on one of the Fox pregame shows. Or Jerry Rice his first three or four years in the league, you could tell whether it was run or pass based on whether he leaned forward or stood straight up.

My favorite, however, came during the bitter reign of Donahoe and Williams in Buffalo. Alex van Pelt doing color on the radio during a game against the Jets. Jets ball, first and goal at the two. Van Pelt suggested it would be wise to guard against a play action pass because Paul Hackett was calling plays for the Jets. van Pelt said that he will only throw on first or second down, and it will only be play action if he does. Buffalo sold out against the run. The tight end danced.

Or perhaps on the radio broadcast of a game last year, when the color guy, likely unaware they were back on the air, said that a particular high draft pick strong safety was really a free safety, who wasn't capable of playing the run effectively, during a conversation with someone on the broadcast, but when the broadcast resumed, to his knowledge, he indicated that this player (his team) was in fact a solid SS, capable in all phases of the game.

DannyMilk
07-12-2010, 06:14 PM
At Soldier Field, there is this thing at the games where when a TV timeout comes up, the PA announcer comes on and says, "There's a time out." The stadium yells out, "Where?" The announcer then states, "On the field." The stadium answers again with, "Oohhh." It gets old during the game, but I always get a chuckle the first time it happens every single game.

Danny, please do not get me started on the five-lettered coordinator who shall not be named and his love for the screen. I remember when he once bragged that he had 27 different types of WR screen in the playbook. I thought to myself, "Oh great. 27 different plays guaranteed to lose yardage." The WR screen in the NFL is one of the worst plays to call in my book simply because the NFL does not often had the match-up issues and speed issues the NCAA does.

A fun secret? Um, how about how often we prentended to be a drunk Kyle Orton every time he threw a deep pass out of bounds because of a few photos that came out in Chicago while he was there. The reason why it looked like Cedric Benson was not trying 100% in Chicago is because he wasn't.

Haha yeah, the timeout thing is funny. 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 8...what do you think...WR screen 94% of the time, or more like 96%? Other 4-6% was either a HB dive, or a bomb down the field either overthrown by 20 yards or underthrown by 15.

DannyMilk
07-12-2010, 06:15 PM
I love that we also pay so much attention to how Lovie Smith shows no emotion...it's quite comical to me at least.

Polishguy00
07-12-2010, 06:37 PM
On third and 8+, my friends and I are convinced that "Run into the middle for no gain" is an actual play call.

But with the five-lettered coordinator who shall not be named,, it was screen about 94.7% of the time. I have charts. Remember, I am a stat nut.

JUMPAROUND
07-12-2010, 06:37 PM
It's so sad there is no more Ron Turner. That guy made me get a warm fuzzy feeling inside every time the packers played the bears.

Andy Freeland
07-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Many years ago, I was watching a game with friends, every time there was a running play the play by play guy (can't remember his name, he's probably working at kmart) would say "the give goes to ____". Every single time, after a couple of series it sounded ridiculous "the give goes to this guys. the give goes to that guy" and he kept doing it the entire game. Ever since we've referred to the running game as 'the give-goes'. "they really need to get the give-goes going today."

Chilly
07-12-2010, 07:11 PM
While working security at a Seahawks game, I noticed that on TV Timeouts they diagram/explain certain plays on the bigscreen. Taking a break, I watched as they outlined the skematics of a running back screen pass, how lineman let their men through and block downfield, etc.

I was shocked [and thoroughly amused] when I realized that the team they showed as the example of the screen pass was the Eagles, a team not even playing in the Northwest that day. I think you know the season is going bad when you can't find one good screen pass from your own team--who throws plenty of them--to use as an example of the play explanation.

DannyMilk
07-12-2010, 07:12 PM
haha that's pretty awesome

Pattrick
07-12-2010, 07:24 PM
These are all very amusing. I wonder if anyone has any Bill Parcells "secrets"? Besides the obvious "if you're a friend of Bill, you'll have a job in the league wherever Bill is coaching".

bluestree
07-12-2010, 07:41 PM
As a kid I grew up with Ray Scott doing the play by play for the Packers and he believed in saying as little as possible. "Starr..................Taylor..................4 yards.............................second down." We'd imitate him when we were playing in the yard "Johnson...............right side................first down."

Kosar19
07-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Polishguy00-- That reminds me of back in the early 90's when Eric Metcalf was playing for the Browns and Belichick was coaching them. One time he called for a run to Metcalf up the gut that actually worked....unfortunately it never worked again despite repeated tries. "Metcalf up the middle" is a joke spoken every Sunday around Cleveland for all time because of it.

giantsfan97
07-13-2010, 10:54 AM
The Giants radio (and NFL Network) play-by-play man Bob Papa, who I love, has one habit that I find quite funny. On a lot of passing plays he'll get so amped up that he will declare the WR to be "wide open" no matter what the coverage is.

To give you an example, his radio call of David Tyree's Helmet Catch was: "...[Manning] throws it deep down field wide open Tyree who...... makes the catch!"

I'm not sure anyone has been LESS wide open in the history of the NFL.

Pruitt
07-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Polishguy00-- That reminds me of back in the early 90's when Eric Metcalf was playing for the Browns and Belichick was coaching them. One time he called for a run to Metcalf up the gut that actually worked....unfortunately it never worked again despite repeated tries. "Metcalf up the middle" is a joke spoken every Sunday around Cleveland for all time because of it.

What was he thinking?!

By the way, whenever I hear Doug Dieken calling a game, he reminds me of Bob Ueker in "Major League". Does he drink?

BigDerf
07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
All these bear fans complaining about runs up the middle is killing me. As a Giants fan the 3rd and 26 draw play they ran that picked up a first down a few years back still pains me. It was in the season before the SB run I believe... A season where nothing went right for the Giants.

Polishguy00
07-13-2010, 08:07 PM
All these bear fans complaining about runs up the middle is killing me. As a Giants fan the 3rd and 26 draw play they ran that picked up a first down a few years back still pains me. It was in the season before the SB run I believe... A season where nothing went right for the Giants.

I think that happened in the same game as Hester's 108 yard return. It is crazy that I remember that play. Two years later, that play was revised to "run up middle for two yard loss" when Ced Benson executed it.

Polishguy00
07-13-2010, 08:08 PM
What was he thinking?!

By the way, whenever I hear Doug Dieken calling a game, he reminds me of Bob Ueker in "Major League". Does he drink?

I am very well aware of Metcalf up the middle...I have lived most of my life in NE Ohio.

GBPKS
07-14-2010, 04:05 PM
I don't know if it's a "secret", per se, but the big joke for me when Favre was on the Packers was the "patented Brett Favre 2 yard touchdown pass". Whenever the Packers got a 1st and goal inside the 2, they would always pad Favre's stats with the touchdown rather than trying to run it in. Fantasy owners of Bubba Franks in particular benefited from this phenomenon, much as Visante Shiancoe owners benefited last season. As a Packer fan, I never minded - as an Adrian Peterson fantasy owner last season, I was not amused...

ScottDCP
07-14-2010, 05:35 PM
I don't know if it's a "secret", per se, but the big joke for me when Favre was on the Packers was the "patented Brett Favre 2 yard touchdown pass". Whenever the Packers got a 1st and goal inside the 2, they would always pad Favre's stats with the touchdown rather than trying to run it in. Fantasy owners of Bubba Franks in particular benefited from this phenomenon, much as Visante Shiancoe owners benefited last season. As a Packer fan, I never minded - as an Adrian Peterson fantasy owner last season, I was not amused...

Manning did what? Oh, yeah. Not really a secret, or specific to that guy, I suspect. If you got em, use em, and if it keeps your RB form taking three or four direct hits a game, I say go for it.

Kosar19
07-14-2010, 11:23 PM
I don't know about that, but he's nothing compared to Kosar when he calls the preseason games. Bernie sounds like he starts off a bit tipsy and by the fourth quarter he's all the way through the bottle of Jack.

Polishguy00
07-15-2010, 07:50 AM
I don't know about that, but he's nothing compared to Kosar when he calls the preseason games. Bernie sounds like he starts off a bit tipsy and by the fourth quarter he's all the way through the bottle of Jack.

That's the best part of having to watch Browns preseason games here. Kosar may have been meant to be many things. An announcer is not one of those things. Unintentional comedy at it's best.

Kosar19
07-15-2010, 08:52 AM
It's really a shame, too. He's really football smart and read the defense and tell you what they're going to do as soon as they line up. However, I can never stop laughing and making off hand remarks long enough to soak any of it in....plus- it's the preseason.

RichH55
07-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Polishguy,

I'm not going to defend Benson...except to say:

It's amazing what "trying" and "not trying" look like when the ghost of Fred Miller (that last year for Benson in Chicago) and a one armed R. Brown were on the OLine.

I thought Benson was pretty good the Super Bowl year...and bad the next year. But I didn't notice lack of trying either year. I noticed a back who needs good OL play to do much of anything except hurt Junior Seau.

DannyMilk
07-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Sorry, but Benson didn't try while he was here...it was pretty evident to me