PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Drinks

ReaderM
03-26-2011, 10:03 PM
So it's been a while since we had a favorite Drink thread ( alcoholic/ non alcoholic ) so decide to bring it back while having a sip of wine

Two of my favorite drinks right now are

1)Newcastle beer which is a heavier beer from England with a nice full flavor but it's overall strong or fulling to it

http://guestofaguest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/newcastle_brown_ale.jpg

and Purple Haze Beer from Abita , a nice Raspberry Beer that has a smooth after taste to it.

http://www.beeraday.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/purple_haze1-283x300.jpg

So what are your favorite drinks to partake during games or just for causal purposes?

BuckeyeRidley
03-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I Love Coca-Cola products, Star & Stripes from Dollar Tree, Wyler's Cool Raspberry drink mix that you pour and shake into water. Kroger's Big K stuff is Good too.

Andy Freeland
03-26-2011, 11:33 PM
and Purple Haze Beer from Abita , a nice Raspberry Beer that has a smooth after taste to it.

http://www.beeraday.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/purple_haze1-283x300.jpg

I'm not a very adventurous drinker, typically I just drink a small St. Louis micro brew called 'Bud Light'. But I do like Abita and a I enjoy a good raspberry wheat, so I may have to give this a try.

packa7x
03-26-2011, 11:59 PM
LOVEE Newcastle. Just actually tried Purple Haze a few hours ago and it was pretty damn good. I'm a huge fan of Guinness, Sam Adams, Sam Cherry Wheat, Brooklyn Lager, McSorelys, and a microbrewery from Pompton Lakes, NJ called Boaks.

packa7x
03-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Talking about sodas too...does anyone know what Dr. Pepper is manufactured under? Coke or Pepsi?

BuckeyeRidley
03-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Talking about sodas too...does anyone know what Dr. Pepper is manufactured under? Coke or Pepsi?

I believe they are under their own authority as Dr. Pepper/7Up. If I'm wrong then certainly its Pepsi.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-27-2011, 12:19 AM
I believe they are under their own authority as Dr. Pepper/7Up. If I'm wrong then certainly its Pepsi.

Unlike Mountain Dew (Pepsi) or Sprite (Coca-Cola), Dr. Pepper is an independent brand which is bottled by both Coke and Pepsi and others. It depends on where you are.

Coca-Cola has a competing product called Mr. Pibb. Pepsi has no current answer to Dr. P.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-27-2011, 12:27 AM
If you go to a bar and they have both Newcastle & Guinness on tap, ask for a 'Black Castle'. It's a Black & Tan with Newcastle replacing the Bass or Harp. You won't regret it. The nutty flavor from the Newcastle smooths out the rough edges of the Guinness.

Sublime.

BuckeyeRidley
03-27-2011, 12:39 AM
Unlike Mountain Dew (Pepsi) or Sprite (Coca-Cola), Dr. Pepper is an independent brand which is bottled by both Coke and Pepsi and others. It depends on where you are.

Coca-Cola has a competing product called Mr. Pibb. Pepsi has no current answer to Dr. P.

Don't Sass Me Boy! :]

GoBigOrGoHome
03-27-2011, 12:54 AM
..........................................???????? ??????????????????????????????????

KabaModernFan
03-27-2011, 01:15 AM
Why is there a seemingly random space in the middle of your question markery?

I enjoy just about anything, but primarily Sunkist, Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, Mountain Dew Code Red, and anything by Minute Maid. Underaged Kaba is underaged.

brauneyz
03-27-2011, 01:20 AM
In Phoenix tonight visiting friends near ASU and drank Industrial Pale Ale and a few sips of a Frog-something-maybe Ed's Oatmeal Stout. Both nice. Paired with fried ravioli and quesadillas.

Will return to red wine and White Russians tomorrow as standard fare, and local microbrews as travel permits.

msclemons
03-27-2011, 01:31 AM
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww264/Jhereg-HG/chimay.jpg

If you can't find Chimay then grab some Shock Top. It's not too shabby.

@brauneyz seeing as you're in the area scoot down I-10 to Tucson and hit El Charro's. It's right off the 4th street exit. Best Mexican food anywhere and a great bar as well.

packa7x
03-27-2011, 11:13 AM

"Mr. Pibb is a replica of Dr. Pepper...but it's a BS replica because the dude didn't even get his degree!"-Mitch Hedberg

GoBigOrGoHome
03-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Ketel One martini, dirty, with bleu cheese stuffed olives stuffed inside pepprochinis, two dashes of Tabasco, stirred, served up.

James Bond is a girl. :woot:

Bengals1181
03-27-2011, 03:15 PM
I used to drink diet coke like water. All I would drink some days.

Been sober 18 days though.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-27-2011, 03:27 PM
I used to drink diet coke like water. All I would drink some days.

Been sober 18 days though.

Attaboy. It's Diet Pepsi by the bucketful for me these days. Stuff is like crack.

Ragar
03-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Ketel One martini, dirty, with bleu cheese stuffed olives stuffed inside pepprochinis, two dashes of Tabasco, stirred, served up.

James Bond is a girl. :woot:

Anyone who tries to make a martini without gin is a girl, or maybe just a Lions fan. :)

Ragar
03-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Attaboy. It's Diet Pepsi by the bucketful for me these days. Stuff is like crack.

Of the 2, I prefer Pepsi One to Diet Pepsi, but Diet Coke to the Diet Pepsi products.

For Leaded versions, the Pepsi products are superior to Coke, except for mixing with alcohol in which case Coke products are superior.

You can never go wrong with Dr. Pepper and Southern Comfort "Dr. SoCo"

GoBigOrGoHome
03-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Anyone who tries to make a martini without gin is a girl, or maybe just a Lions fan. :)

I occasionally bartend at weddings & other events (a buddy is the GM at a golf course & banquet center - when he needs an extra hand, I help him out, earn some tips & some free golf).

75-80% of the martinis I pour are vodka martinis. If someone under 35 comes to the bar and asks for a dry martini with a twist, they're getting vodka. Twenty years ago it would have been gin every time.

Polishguy00
03-27-2011, 05:39 PM
My "normal" beers are good old fashioned Budweiser and MGD 64. I normally drink a shot of Jack and a 22 oz. Bud to prepare for darts.

When I want to have something good, here are my favorites:
Jack Daniels Single Barrel
Highland Park 12 year scotch
Speyburn 10 year scotch
I drink whiskeys, bourbons and whiskys with room temp water, never ice.

Beers:
Great Lakes Brewing Co. Christmas Ale
Guinness and all additions to it.
Goose Island 312
Fat Tire
Stella Artois
Beck's Dark
Warsteiner Dark

And I'll try any shot once. Even Four Horsemen and North-South's

Ragar
03-27-2011, 05:40 PM
I occasionally bartend at weddings & other events (a buddy is the GM at a golf course & banquet center - when he needs an extra hand, I help him out, earn some tips & some free golf).

75-80% of the martinis I pour are vodka martinis. If someone under 35 comes to the bar and asks for a dry martini with a twist, they're getting vodka. Twenty years ago it would have been gin every time.

Yep, went on a 5 year anniversary cruise and me and the wife hung out at the Martini Bar with two other couples and the Ships Entertainment Director (really cool going ot dinner with the Ships Engineer and subsequent tour of the engine's, etc.). The bartender went nuts when all I ever ordered were dirty martini's, and never looked at the actual menu of the fanciful vodka martini's etc. (wife of course was all over the various Vodka martini's). Of course, it was also easy when we walked in and he had my drink ready in a few seconds when everyone else still had to order.

Pruitt
03-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Likes me that Irish Whiskey - currently sipping something called "Okanagan". Very nice indeed.

Also like Scotch and far too many beers to list.

ScottDCP
03-27-2011, 11:13 PM

Or allergic to gin. Or has tasted gin. Both work. Most common sane use for the stuff is as a solvent to clean the bartop. Second best use is as an emulsifier for the vermouth and vodka in a properly constructed vodka martini.

Or you could make a good choice and go with Jefferson's Reserve. With the bourbon a couple ice cubes are fine.

Pruitt
03-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Or allergic to gin. Or has tasted gin. Both work. Most common sane use for the stuff is as a solvent to clean the bartop.

Gin is the only type of booze that I swore off in college after a rough night and have never imbibed since. a man's just got to know his limitations.

ScottDCP
03-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Gin is the only type of booze that I swore off in college after a rough night and have never imbibed since. a man's just got to know his limitations.

Lucky for me that it tastes like detergent, but I'm lucky enough to be allergic to it. And I'm James Bond.

packa7x
03-28-2011, 11:21 AM
I love Whiskey. Only hard stuff I'll drink. Vodka...rum...gin...too boring for me.

ScottDCP
03-28-2011, 11:48 AM
...rum...too boring...

There I'll disagree. A 7-year old Cuban dark rum was my first - Something something Anejo. I was lucky it wasn''t Bacardi, I think. El Dorado 15 year is deliciously delicious. Diplomatico is just fine, and half the cost.

There are more, of course, but oh my is rum ever a potentially yummy diversion.

ScottDCP
03-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Though to be completely truthful, my favorite beverages tend to be fruit juices. My favorite manufactured beverages are root beer and ginger beer/ale.

This is number 1 on my list:

http://revimgs.bevnet.com/media/virgils/images/654378.virgils-root-beer-swing-top.jpg (http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/virgils/Virgils_Root_Beer_-_Special_Edition_Bavarian_Nutmeg)

Worth every penny. And not to be confused with the regular old standard Virgil's, which is too wrought with wintergreen for my liking - terribly unbalanced.

Andy Freeland
03-28-2011, 01:54 PM

As previously stated, I'm usually a beer drinker. On the rare occasion I venture outside of beer, it's gin, Tanqueray to be precise.

I love Whiskey. Only hard stuff I'll drink. Vodka...rum...gin...too boring for me.

I have a similar relationship to whiskey as Pruitt has with gin (though I have to admit, it happened a few years before college). I will enjoy the occasional shot of Maker's Mark, but very rarely.

packa7x
03-28-2011, 02:07 PM
As previously stated, I'm usually a beer drinker. On the rare occasion I venture outside of beer, it's gin, Tanqueray to be precise.

I have a similar relationship to whiskey as Pruitt has with gin (though I have to admit, it happened a few years before college). I will enjoy the occasional shot of Maker's Mark, but very rarely.

Hahaha I'm with you as far as not venturing far from beer. I'll never order shots or anything at a bar...$7.50 for a Jameson when I can enjoy a nice Guinness or Sam Adams for half the price and get much more enjoyment out of it? I'm going beer. But I love a good old whiskey on the rocks with a nice cigar on a beautiful spring evening. That is living.

Ripperlicious
03-28-2011, 02:29 PM
I hardly drink at all, but when I do, I like Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. Serve it cold, drink it slow, and it gets better the warmer it gets. A little pricey, but worth it. I like Newcastle too, but Sam Smith is where it's at. Beck's Dark is a good one that comes to mind too.

Gin is an old white man's drink for sure.

Pruitt
03-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Gin is an old white man's drink for sure.

Anything I pour down my gullet is "an old white man's drink".

msclemons
03-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Gallo has a new gin out called New Amsterdam's. They cover up the scotch-tape flavor of the gin by whacking you in the throat with a juniper tree.

It actually works quite well.

ScottDCP
03-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Gin is an old white man's drink

My grandfather, in fact. He was nuts.

Ragar
03-28-2011, 06:40 PM

That way with tequila for me. Night of drinking in college topped off with Upside Down Margarita's....not sure if it was food or booze, however the rest of the night was not pretty, then having to meet my mother for breakfast the next morning made made me swear off the that taste...forever.

msclemons
03-28-2011, 06:59 PM
That way with tequila for me.

Mine is rum. Was playing quarters one night and we ran out of beer. We were just tipsy enough to think that switching to dimes with Bacardi 151 shots was a good idea.

I threw up so hard I thought ribs were breaking.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Mine is rum. Was playing quarters one night and we ran out of beer. We were just tipsy enough to think that switching to dimes with Bacardi 151 shots was a good idea.

Bacardi 151 chased with grape soda. Bad read. Bad, bad read

ScottDCP
03-28-2011, 07:53 PM

I swore off booze for 15months. I played beer pong with guys who had been at it for thirty years. I'm not that good at it. I had knob creek. I turned green and lost a Sunday.

Ragar
03-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Hahaha I'm with you as far as not venturing far from beer. I'll never order shots or anything at a bar...$7.50 for a Jameson when I can enjoy a nice Guinness or Sam Adams for half the price and get much more enjoyment out of it? I'm going beer. But I love a good old whiskey on the rocks with a nice cigar on a beautiful spring evening. That is living.

Agree with beer only policy at bars...unless you know the bartender, in which case it was liquor drinks all night with a $20 tab at the end, and a hell of a tip that would be the "beer price" make-up

brauneyz
03-28-2011, 09:38 PM
I am wondering why this is the most popular thread going right now? /*sips a very cheap red wine from Spain and :) /

Pruitt
04-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Ever since I ws in Italy a couple of years ago, I've enjoyed Fernet Branca...

http://www.altacucinasociety.com/db/Image/products/FernetBrancaandshotG.jpg

You either love it, or you hate it. I especially like that it makes medicinal claims - settles the stomach either before or after eating. So when I drink it, I don't actually feel as if I'm drinking... just helping my digestion. And yes, my digestion is really good by now.

Ragar
04-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Trying out a new scotch....The Quinta Ruban Glenmorangie...thinking it's another love it or hate it taste.

packa7x
04-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Went to a bar last night and got Magic Hat No. 9 <3 :)

Pruitt
04-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Trying out a new scotch....The Quinta Ruban Glenmorangie...thinking it's another love it or hate it taste.

I'll be right over.

ScottDCP
04-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Went to a bar last night and got Magic Hat No. 9 <3 :)

When I want a little raspberry, I'm lying, because I want a LOT of raspberry. My favorite so far, worldwide is the Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus Framboise:

http://greatbrewers.com/sites/default/files/images/Product%20-%20Cantillon%20Rose%20De%20Gambrinus.preview.jpg (http://www.gayot.com/beer/top10summer-beers/cantillon-rose-de-gambrinus-belgian-raspberry-lambic.html)

That said, I'll try most any beer that claims to have some fruit jammed into it.

packa7x
04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
When I want a little raspberry, I'm lying, because I want a LOT of raspberry. My favorite so far, worldwide is the Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus Framboise:

http://greatbrewers.com/sites/default/files/images/Product%20-%20Cantillon%20Rose%20De%20Gambrinus.preview.jpg (http://www.gayot.com/beer/top10summer-beers/cantillon-rose-de-gambrinus-belgian-raspberry-lambic.html)

That said, I'll try most any beer that claims to have some fruit jammed into it.

you can never go wrong with a little Blue Moon with an orange or Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

ScottDCP
04-04-2011, 03:19 PM
you can never go wrong with a little Blue Moon with an orange or Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Fallback positions for me. Not fruity enough. Although I'll take a Hoegarden with lemon over either one. And really, the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is the least of them for me. When I ask for a fruity beer, I mean FRUITY. The Sam Adams is more like, well, beer. That said, their cranberry lambic was always delightful (haven't seen it in years.)

Swami
04-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Time to introduce the FP world to the drink I invented, which has yet to catch on: The Big Macho. Simple to make - two parts green Creme de Menthe, poured over ice. That's it. No other drink is so big or so macho as The Big Macho. If you can handle the abuse that comes with ordering it (from friends, bartenders and waitresses galore), it's actually quite refreshing!

http://emeraldowl.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/green.jpg?w=199&h=300

GoBigOrGoHome
04-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Time to introduce the FP world to the drink I invented, which has yet to catch on: The Big Macho. Simple to make - two parts green Creme de Menthe, poured over ice. That's it. No other drink is so big or so macho as The Big Macho. If you can handle the abuse that comes with ordering it (from friends, bartenders and waitresses galore), it's actually quite refreshing!

AYFKM? Does the carpet match the drapes, miss?

Allow me to be the first to lob some abuse your way for posting that. :cool:

ScottDCP
04-04-2011, 05:53 PM

I was once stopped on the street in Rochester by a half dozen women dressed for Halloween with "you're the grasshopper guy!!". Rock on. And if you take half the cream in a grasshopper and replace it with Bailey's, it tastes like an Andes after-dinner mint.

ScottDCP
04-04-2011, 05:55 PM
And bartenders used to swear at me.

packa7x
04-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Fallback positions for me. Not fruity enough. Although I'll take a Hoegarden with lemon over either one. And really, the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is the least of them for me. When I ask for a fruity beer, I mean FRUITY. The Sam Adams is more like, well, beer. That said, their cranberry lambic was always delightful (haven't seen it in years.)

For me, I need my beer to be as thick and bitter as possible. I LOVE anything Guinness-like. Sam Adams is like a light beer for me and Cherry Wheat is like a Smirnoff Ice. I'm not too big into fruity beers, but I love the Cherry Wheat because of the subtle flavor.

mkocs6
04-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Or allergic to gin. Or has tasted gin. Both work. Most common sane use for the stuff is as a solvent to clean the bartop. Second best use is as an emulsifier for the vermouth and vodka in a properly constructed vodka martini.

Or you could make a good choice and go with Jefferson's Reserve. With the bourbon a couple ice cubes are fine.

I have so many things to say about this thread, but I'm going to start here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with gin. The perfect accompaniment for a late-spring or early-summer night on a patio is a bathtub of gin and tonic. Go crazy with the lime, though, please- I'm not insane.

Pruitt
04-05-2011, 12:54 PM
I like my beer like my women...

Strong, bitter, dark and daily.

Jokes aside, I do enjoy strong beers and ales, the hoppier the better.

mkocs6
04-05-2011, 12:56 PM
I am wondering why this is the most popular thread going right now? /*sips a very cheap red wine from Spain and :) /

^^^^^^This.^^^^^^

I'm doing my best GoBig impression now. Reds from Spain and Chile are the best deals you can find. I adore Borsao Campo de Borja. It's a Grenache blend, and it's simply one of the best wines you can afford to drink regularly. You can usually find it for $8 or less. As a graduate student, I need things like this...

packa7x
04-05-2011, 02:52 PM
I like my beer like my women...

Strong, bitter, dark and daily.

Jokes aside, I do enjoy strong beers and ales, the hoppier the better.

All I can think of is the gag from Airplane where the two kids are drinking coffee and the little boy goes "would you like some milk?" and the girl goes "no thanks, I like my coffee like I like my men, black"

But my god do I love this beer...

http://kingbobyjr.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/beer-104.jpg

ReaderM
04-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Speaking of Dark Beers if you can find this company's beer near you: GIVE IT A TRY.. company is called Mother Earth (http://www.motherearthbrewing.com/section/our-beer-selection)and they make tons of beer&ales that are pretty good..Dark and Light.. This is a great one with Beer or wing called Dark Cloud

http://www.motherearthbrewing.com/files/images/dark-cloud1/Cloud.jpg

packa7x
04-07-2011, 09:09 AM
ReaderM that looks FANTASTIC

Pruitt
04-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I've had a stressful day and tonight I am going to open one of these beauties...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5127/5343149961_d1ec435d30.jpg

So dark and heavy that you could eat it with a fork. 12% alcohol and only sold in 18 ounce bottles up here. One of these and you might even find "Hot In Cleveland" amusing.

packa7x
04-07-2011, 04:05 PM
I've had a stressful day and tonight I am going to open one of these beauties...

So dark and heavy that you could eat it with a fork. 12% alcohol and only sold in 18 ounce bottles up here. One of these and you might even find "Hot In Cleveland" amusing.

Oh man that looks delicious!! 12% ?! my kind of beer! <3 The one I posted up there is only 10%...sissy beer :(

ReaderM
04-08-2011, 01:27 AM

I see this beer and just think I need a steak or burger with this now, honestly want to try that.. what's the name of it? Def have to try it some day