PDA

View Full Version : GoBig's NCAA Tournament Upset Special: The Final Four Edition

GoBigOrGoHome
03-28-2011, 12:34 AM
With four rounds in the books, here is where we stand:

UPDATE

Leaders through the Elite Eight:

GoBig: Oaklund U (0)/Marquette(16)/ DoubledDown for 72 points] for a total of 88 points
PolishGuy: Marquette (5)/Florida St. (16)/Arizona (12)/VCU (40) for 73 total points
Colts: Gonzaga for 5/0 points/Butler (12)/(24) for 41 total points
Pruitt: Missouri (DNP for 0)/No Show/DoubledDown for 40 points] for 40 total points
DaBearsFan: Richmond (7)/No Show (0)/Richmond (0)/Butler (24) for 31 total points
Turk: Utah State/Cincinnati/DD Arizona (12) & Wisconsin (0) for 12 total points
Docta: Morehead St.(9)/Illinois (0)/ DD BYU (0) & Wisconsin (0) for 9 total points
Kaba: Richmond(7)/Gonzaga (0)/Marquette (0)/No show (0) for 7 total points

The Doughnut Division:

Clem: Memphis/Gonzaga/No show/No Show for 0 total points

The "Got Caught Trying to Kick in the Back Door" Division

darvon: DD Richmond twice for a doughnut (possible 82 points)
Trumpetbdw: DD Marquette & FSU for a doughnut (possible 126 points)

You are all welcome to join this competition. Participation in prior rounds is unnecessary. Let's get it on!!

Rules:

Final Four Rules

Five point muliplier for seed disparity in the Final Four (If an #11 beats an #8 that results in 15 points)
"The No Upsets Option": Predict Zero upsets in the FF and you will be awarded 20 points.
"The All Upset option:" Predict that both games end in upsets and you will be awarded 40 points

Championship Game Rules

The Championship Game is a straight Pick'em -- Pick the winner regardless of seeding and you'll receive 15 points. To reiterate: it is unnecessary to pick an upset in the title game.
If you do pick an upset in the title game you will be awarded 15 points plus a 3 point multiplier of the seed disparity. (If a #8 beats a #2 you will receive an additional 18 points for 33 total points).

The Double Down Option

If you have the stones to call your shot on one of the following scenarios in time for the Final Four submission dealine you will be awarded double your prospective point total:

The 'No Upsets Throughout', 'No Upsets Saturday' for 20 points. UConn defeats Butler for the title for 15 pts. Double it down for a 70 points
'No Upsets Saturday' for 20 pts./Butler wins title for 30 pts (15 + 15 for seed disparity). Double it Down for a cool 100 points
VCU for 15 pts./UConn wins title for 15 pts. Double it Down for 60 points.
VCU for 15 pts/VCU takes UConn to win the title for 49 pts. Double it Down for 128 points.
'All Upsets Saturday' for 40 pts./UK wins title for 15 pts. Double it Down for 110 points.
UK beats UConn for 5/UK takes Butler to win the title for 15 pts. Double it Down for 40 points.
UK beats UConn for 5 pts./Butler takes UK for 27 pts. Double it Down for 68 points.

As an homage to the current labor strife in the NFL, I offer the the following:

The 'Treble Damages Option'

'All Upsets Saturday' for 40 points and VCU walks away as champs for 36 pts. by the FF deadline and you will be awarded 'treble damages' of 228 points.

Final Four, Double Down and Treble Damages picks are due by Saturday April 2nd at 5:59 PM. Championship game picks are due by Monday April 4th at 8:59 PM.

Good luck.

:woot::woot::woot::woot:

Docta
03-28-2011, 04:15 AM
Best-case scenario for me is getting 88 points, which you already have going into this round, so I guess this is the end of the road for me.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/012011/1294314404_dog-steals-sled.gif

GoBigOrGoHome
03-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Best-case scenario for me is getting 88 points, which you already have going into this round, so I guess this is the end of the road for me.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/012011/1294314404_dog-steals-sled.gif

In the immortal words of my Uncle Ted (Nugent, that is), "When in doubt, I whip it out. I got me a rock 'n roll band. It's a free for all."

When pride is all you have left, you fight for it. Man up & make some picks.

Pruitt
03-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Not to whine, but didn't I call a double down with Butler and then Kentucky?

GoBigOrGoHome
03-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Not to whine, but didn't I call a double down with Butler and then Kentucky?

Yeah. You called it for 172 points or something. I didn't think you were serious. Check the leader board. You are in there.

Pruitt
03-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah. You called it for 172 points or something. I didn't think you were serious. Check the leader board. You are in there.

Good lord, at the very least, my eyes are getting very old. My apologies.

Docta
03-28-2011, 09:56 PM
In the immortal words of my Uncle Ted (Nugent, that is), "When in doubt, I whip it out. I got me a rock 'n roll band. It's a free for all."

When pride is all you have left, you fight for it. Man up & make some picks.
Well, if you put it that way...

No upsets, UConn as the winner.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Good lord, at the very least, my eyes are getting very old. My apologies.

No appologies. I added you in today, Pruitt. It was my bad.

DaBearsFan
03-29-2011, 12:19 AM
I'll take the no upsets double down option, which almost guarantees that VCU beats Kentucky.

Pruitt
03-29-2011, 11:15 AM
My brain hurts.

I like Butler over UConn. Do I pick No Upset/Butler?

Pruitt
03-29-2011, 11:15 AM
My brain hurts.

Turk Schonert
03-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Give me the treble damage option ... it is the season!! VCU ... VCU!!!

GoBigOrGoHome
03-29-2011, 02:04 PM
My brain hurts.

Pruitt takes 'No Upsets Saturday' for 20 pts. & picks Butler over UConn in the final for 30 points. DOUBLE DOWN for 100 points.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-29-2011, 02:07 PM

DOUBLE DOWN for 70 points!!

GoBigOrGoHome
03-29-2011, 02:08 PM
I'll take the no upsets double down option, which almost guarantees that VCU beats Kentucky.

For 70 points.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-29-2011, 02:22 PM
You know it's funny. I added the 'Double Down Option' last week as a function of mere laziness. I was hoping you would all go balls out and double down on your picks thus obviating any need for me to update scores until end of the weekend. Then someone PM'd me and pointed out that the DD option could allow someone who had had no correct picks to date (or had not even participated) to win the contest with a wild-assed guess and that that was not entirely fair. He also suggested a 'No Upsets Option' like Turk had in his Upset Special during football season. I have now added 'No Upsets' and 'All Upsets'. This is a little more complicated than I intended. But it sounded good when I first wrote it all up.

So, my apologies for making you guys do story problems to figure out how many points you might earn. Next year it will be clearer.

Pruitt
03-29-2011, 04:03 PM
So, my apologies for making you guys do story problems to figure out how many points you might earn. Next year it will be clearer.

Want my pick for next year now? I'm psyched!

GoBigOrGoHome
03-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Good god. Could I have made more mistakes when setting up a spreadsheet? No.

There are eight possible final outcomes left in the tournament. I have enumerated them in the OP including correct points per round and Double Down possibilities. Feel free to cut & paste your picks from the list. :woot:

Final Four/Double Down/Treble Damages picks are due Saturday by 5:59 PM. Non-DD/TD Championship Game picks are due Monday by 8:59 PM.

Docta
03-29-2011, 09:37 PM

After seeing the DD options, I'll pick No Upsets, Butler as the winner.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-31-2011, 08:14 PM
<bump>

Docta
03-31-2011, 09:41 PM
After seeing the DD options, I'll pick No Upsets, Butler as the winner.
Changing my pick once again. All upsets, UK wins. DD for 110 pts.

I'm gonna cry when one of my other picks ends up being right.

darvon
03-31-2011, 10:38 PM
All upsets. VCU is winner. And then Shaka takes the coaching job at the Lakers.

Trumpetbdw
03-31-2011, 11:41 PM
It won't be for the win, but I'd just like to hit the leaderboard. Can I get bonus points if I select the Masters champion as well?

UK beats UConn for 5 pts./Butler takes UK for 27 pts. Double it Down for 68 points.

Parlay that with Nick Watney to win the Masters (38/1), and over 6.5 on Pittsburgh Pirates wins through April 15 for an incredible 1072 points. Winning.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-31-2011, 11:55 PM
The Commissioner does not recognize the Pirates as an actual professional sports organization.

Trumpetbdw
04-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Hey, that's not fair. Technically 2 of the 4 teams in the Final Four are also not actual professional sports organizations. Plus, wouldn't that make their 7 wins all the more impressive?

Sidenote... For some reason I went to the Phillies-Pirates spring finale yesterday in beautiful 45 and drizzly Philthadelphia, and the Pirates starter walked the first batter he faced. Only 4 pitches into their final spring game, and already the Pirates were in mid-season form. Let's Go Bucs!

GoBigOrGoHome
04-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Philthadelphia

Nice play on a word.

GoBigOrGoHome
04-01-2011, 01:48 AM
It won't be for the win, but I'd just like to hit the leaderboard. Can I get bonus points if I select the Masters champion as well?

Parlay that with Nick Watney to win the Masters (38/1), and over 6.5 on Pittsburgh Pirates wins through April 15 for an incredible 1072 points. Winning.

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we could have a party"

Your DD for 68 is on the books.

Pruitt
04-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Hey, that's not fair. Technically 2 of the 4 teams in the Final Four are also not actual professional sports organizations.

Nice!

GoBigOrGoHome
04-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Still time left to change your mind. Again. :cool:

GoBigOrGoHome
04-01-2011, 10:06 PM
I posted a rundown of eight possible outcomes and their respective point values. It is in the OP. Just tell me who you are picking and if you do or do not want to Double Down.

:woot:

Polishguy00
04-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Give me Kentucky to go all the way. Double down for 40.

GoBigOrGoHome
04-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Only to be contrarian: 'No Upsets Throughout', 'No Upsets Saturday' for 20 points. UConn defeats Butler for the title for 15 pts. DoubleDown for 70 points

Trumpetbdw
04-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Just curious... How does a "No Upset" selection garner more points than selecting 2 upsets in a UK victory, and a Butler championship?

GoBigOrGoHome
04-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Just curious... How does a "No Upset" selection garner more points than selecting 2 upsets in a UK victory, and a Butler championship?

I put the rules out before I correctly ran the numbers for all the scenarios. My bad.

When I wrote it up, I put more weight in the 'No Upset' & 'All Upset' categories because you would need to pick both games correctly as opposed to picking just one game correctly.

If I do this again next year, it will be more equitable.

Of, course, if I do this again next year, we'll probably end up with an all chalk tourney. :woot:

Trumpetbdw
04-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Hey, not a problem. Afterall, this is very official.

Is it me, or considering their experience, coaching, cohesion, and, physicality, isn't Butler the favorite no matter who wins game 2?

GoBigOrGoHome
04-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Let's call a spade a spade. I was suffering from a serious case of Cranial Rectumitis when I wrote the OP.

Docta
04-03-2011, 09:43 PM

Both of my original picks are the only options that are still alive. Just kill me now.

Pruitt
04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Hey, not a problem. Afterall, this is very official.

Is it me, or considering their experience, coaching, cohesion, and, physicality, isn't Butler the favorite no matter who wins game 2?

My sentiments exactly. They seem to be unflappable and at +3 tonight are a gift.

Polishguy00
04-04-2011, 06:19 PM
I am on vacation in St. Pete, half drunk and I still am angry at UConn. I have decided to dislike them. Kentucky's decisions on Saturday seemed like they were like me, burnt, stupid and seven beers in. Anyway, who still has a chance at this thing?

GoBigOrGoHome
04-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Have beer #8 for me, Polish.

/has not had a beer in some time. :woot:

Trumpetbdw
04-04-2011, 09:00 PM
My sentiments exactly. They seem to be unflappable and at +3 tonight are a gift.

Rick Pitino beat both this year, and said that Butler will win rather easily (by 7 or 8 points). Not sure I can trust a man in a white suit, but I actually agree with him. UConn finally looked worn down in that Kentucky game, and the long stretches of play certainly didn't help. So while Butler spent Sunday preparing for UConn, UConn spent Sunday recovering from a brutal late game. Butler is deeper, plays more within themselves, and should be the much quicker/fresher team. I like Butler, and double digits would not surprise me at all.

Pruitt
04-05-2011, 12:31 AM

That's why I should quit gambling.

I'm going to go on a limb and say that tonight's game was the worst Championship that I have seen in any sport, anytime. And I watch a lot of sports - every thing but tennis and Canadian Football.

Man, that was horrific.